Got a set of battery powered Audioquest speaker cables

Can't try em out for a while. Anyone try the CV4? I think that's what they are?

Comments

• treitz3treitz3 Posts: 12,684
    I will refrain from commenting. I have. I know. They do have staying power.

Do your own observations and don't rely on others backing your own findings...

If I am off base? Shoot Russ.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 12,282
    Ok where's Russ ???
    PULL!
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 1,755
    Anyone had direct experience with these vs type 4?
    2ch: PS Audio Stellar Gain pre, 4 x Linn LK240 monoblocks ( bi-amping) Elac Adante AF-61's, SVS SB16 Ultra Subwoofer, Cambridge Audio CXN v2, Rega Planar 2 with Canaro 2 subplatter, dual belt pulley and upgraded bearing, Rega Ania MC cart, Vincent PHO 701 Phono pre with Mullard NOS 12au7, Audioquest Niagara 1000, AQ Thunder, AQ red river XLR's and Victoria IC's, Wireworld Stratus and Aurora power cables, Atlas EOS power cable, Denon 2910 (as transport) Sony CPD355 Jukebox cd

5.1: Marantz sr5003 (feeding mains through HT bypass) Sonus Faber solo center, AQ Carbon HDMI's, Sony XBRx900E, Xbox One S as 4k player, Definitive Technology SM350's surrounds, Tivo Bolt, Harmony Elite remote

Other gear: Totem Rainmakers (not hooked up) Sonos play 5 and play 1's x 2, Audio Technica TT and Edifier active speakers in kids room, JVC XM448 minidisc rack mount, Sony minidisc walkman, Project Debut III (currently not working), Samsung 46, and 2 x32" tvs, Samsung Soundbar, Okki Nokki LP cleaner, Second Harmony remote setup for bedroom, etc etc
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Anyone had direct experience with these vs type 4?

I have not but all the DBS cables are several steps above type 4 with better wire in most cases.
    Worth it for the price?

anmg6kfg51hm.png
    2ch: PS Audio Stellar Gain pre, 4 x Linn LK240 monoblocks ( bi-amping) Elac Adante AF-61's, SVS SB16 Ultra Subwoofer, Cambridge Audio CXN v2, Rega Planar 2 with Canaro 2 subplatter, dual belt pulley and upgraded bearing, Rega Ania MC cart, Vincent PHO 701 Phono pre with Mullard NOS 12au7, Audioquest Niagara 1000, AQ Thunder, AQ red river XLR's and Victoria IC's, Wireworld Stratus and Aurora power cables, Atlas EOS power cable, Denon 2910 (as transport) Sony CPD355 Jukebox cd

5.1: Marantz sr5003 (feeding mains through HT bypass) Sonus Faber solo center, AQ Carbon HDMI's, Sony XBRx900E, Xbox One S as 4k player, Definitive Technology SM350's surrounds, Tivo Bolt, Harmony Elite remote

Other gear: Totem Rainmakers (not hooked up) Sonos play 5 and play 1's x 2, Audio Technica TT and Edifier active speakers in kids room, JVC XM448 minidisc rack mount, Sony minidisc walkman, Project Debut III (currently not working), Samsung 46, and 2 x32" tvs, Samsung Soundbar, Okki Nokki LP cleaner, Second Harmony remote setup for bedroom, etc etc
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 4,937
    @joecoulson I got em for a lot less, that's why I got em lol. They are for my other house, whenever I get there.
    Where??

• treitz3treitz3 Posts: 12,684
    Joe, no.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.
    Ok. I’ll wait til you guys come out to change anything there.

joecoulson wrote: »
    Where??

Same place for $180
  • honestaquarianhonestaquarian Posts: 2,225
    edited January 15
    Oh GOD not ANOTHER cable thread :s
    Gentlemen, start your arguments!
    Post edited by honestaquarian on
    Living room Home theater: Upgrade Company modified Onkyo PR-SC5509,Sunfire Cinema grand Signature 5 channel amp(1st gen),Carver TFM-45,Carver M-400a,Panasonic TC-P50ST60 50" Plasma(last gen before Plasma production stopped)Pioneer Elite DVL-91,Meridian 519 Dolby AC-3 RF Demodulator,Oppo Digital UDP-205,TiVo Bolt VOX,Nakamich BX-300,Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type VxMR cartridge,Polk SDA-SRS 3.1 TL(with RD-0198 tweeters, upgraded with Larry's rings, black hole5,an Avel-Lindberg 1000VA isolation transformer, VR3 customer crossovers and internal wiring),Polk CS-1000P(with SL-6506 tweeter),Polk Monitor 5jr(with RD-0194 tweeters),Polk RT-35i (1),Polk Mini Monitors,Polk PSW150(4)Monster Power HTPS 7000 MKII Signature series,Monster Power AVS 2000 Signature Series,Various MIT,Monster,Upgrade Company and Belden interconnect,power,HDMI,Coax and Toslink Digital and speaker cables.

Bedroom 2 channel system:Integra DTM 40.4,Nakamichi BX-100,TiVo mini,Musical Fidelity X-LPS,X-PSU,Carver TFM-25,Sony KV-34XBR970(last of the widescreen tube sets before production stopped)Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type V MR cartridge,Polk RT-55(with SL-6506 tweeters),Polk PSW-200 in plexiglass(2),Sony Playstation 3 slim.Monster Power HTPS-7000,Monster AVS-2000, PowerVarious Kimber,Audioquest and MIT interconnects and speaker cables.
    @honestaquarian so be it, all I need is cables of all sorts now.
  • fastz28fastz28 Posts: 596
    I have the cv-8 and the type 4
    polk 10bs--- prodigy hd2 modded Burson Audio opamps
    dcm time windows ---- parasound pre amp
    TDQ-1600 Broadcast Reference Tuner -- yamaha cd s700
    yamaha px-3 zu 103 cat2 --- audioquest ic sidewinders
    carver 1.5t--- audioquest cv-8 speaker cables
    ps audio 200cx--- ps audio phono pre amp
    sunfire sig 625 audio research sp-14
    audio research dac 7 klipsch rf -7111
    music hall Ikura carver m500t mk2 modded
  • fastz28fastz28 Posts: 596
    think the cv-4 and the type 4 are very close in sound.
    The cv-8 I love them.
    polk 10bs--- prodigy hd2 modded Burson Audio opamps
    dcm time windows ---- parasound pre amp
    TDQ-1600 Broadcast Reference Tuner -- yamaha cd s700
    yamaha px-3 zu 103 cat2 --- audioquest ic sidewinders
    carver 1.5t--- audioquest cv-8 speaker cables
    ps audio 200cx--- ps audio phono pre amp
    sunfire sig 625 audio research sp-14
    audio research dac 7 klipsch rf -7111
    music hall Ikura carver m500t mk2 modded
  • mantismantis Posts: 15,164
    The benefit from the Battery is to keep the cable broken in. If you use your system a lot I see no reason for the battery at all. If you listen once a week or less then the battery just buffers the break in period which happens amazingly fast.
    I'm a audioquest user and have been for decades but there are things they do that I'm not on board with. Maybe in some cases this is a benefit but it's not for me.

The CV-4 and the Type-4 as stated sound almost exactly the same. Pretty hard to tell them apart. The CV series is a higher end better quality conductor and if your system can reveal the slight difference you will hear it. The Type -4 is a good speaker cable in it's own right.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • vcwatkinsvcwatkins Posts: 1,846
    I don't think the DBS is designed to help just in cases of infrequent use. From AQ's description on Music Direct:
    Dielectric Bias System (DBS) - DBS is an Audioquest patented system which does some pretty extraordinary things to the electrical properties of the cable yet operates completely outside the signal path. DBS simultaneously eliminates the “Dielectric Effect” as well as external interference.

The Dielectric Effect, simply put, is a form of phase distortion caused by the tendency of insulation material to randomly and unpredictably absorb and then release the electrical energy passing through the conductors. This causes smearing of fine detail and distortion of tonal balance. DBS eliminates this distortion by using a high voltage potential from the battery packs to electrically saturate the insulating material. The difference is shocking (pardon the pun), bass extends deeper, voices become fleshed out and every instrument achieves a truly jaw-dropping level of realism. While the positive pole of the DBS pack creates the high-voltage potential inside the cable, the negative pole of the DBS pack is connected to a shield which runs the length of the cable, creating a virtual vacuum for external interference; energy that strikes this shield is instantly and completely drained into the negative portion of the battery creating ultra-black backgrounds, greatly enhancing resolution and dynamic range. The best part is that because the batteries are simply creating potential not current flow, they will last 3-5 years; about as long as they would if they were sitting on a shelf.

@DarqueKnight talked a bit about this dielectric effect somewhere recently. I have no idea how effective DBS is, if at all, but I do like the sound from the set of CV-8's that I have used for HT purposes. The batteries seem to last forever, but keeping the battery packs secured to the cable can be a challenge if/when you move cables around. They seem to slip out of their velcro loops pretty easily. Like you, I got for much less than retail. So on an overall value basis, I like them.

Let us know what you think.
    Den: Rega RP6 * AT33PTGII * Budgie SUT * Jolida jd9 * Roon (Sonic Transporter) * PS Audio DirectStream Jr. * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Sunfire Signature II * PSAudio p3 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2
    Office: Roon * Sonore UltraRendu (LPS-1, WW Plat7, Iso Regen, Lush) * ProJect Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * PSAudio Dectet * DH Labs Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354
    Beach: Music Hall MMF5.1se * Speed Box II * DL103r * Lounge Copla/LCRIII * Sonos * Schiit Yggdrasil * Belles 20a Pre * First Watt F5 Clone * PSAudio Dectet * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 20,526
    battery powered may be misstating things a bit, no?
  • ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 4,761
    So @mantis and @vcwatkins are actually both right.

Cable break-in is largely a case of dielectric conditioning.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • vcwatkinsvcwatkins Posts: 1,846
    I forgot to mention the bananas - I think they're called SureGrip - that are on my CV-8's. I'm pretty sure I am in the minority around here not liking this type. They are springy and I believe designed to maximize contact. But I always have trouble with one or two when plugging/unplugging on certain speakers. They have to be at just the right angle and if I'm doing this blind or semi-blind, I usually end up cursing who or whatever is nearby. I even broke one somehow. I think it must have been bent by pressure on the cable at the amp as I rolled the rack back toward the wall. I didn't notice a problem until I lost all sound from the center, investigated, and found it had completely separated.

They're definitely better than many bananas that are too small and cannot be made wider/tighter. So if your CV-4's have them, I'd recommend you take a little extra care and be patient (at least more patient than I, which is likely not hard to do, hehe).
    Den: Rega RP6 * AT33PTGII * Budgie SUT * Jolida jd9 * Roon (Sonic Transporter) * PS Audio DirectStream Jr. * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Sunfire Signature II * PSAudio p3 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2
    Office: Roon * Sonore UltraRendu (LPS-1, WW Plat7, Iso Regen, Lush) * ProJect Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * PSAudio Dectet * DH Labs Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354
    Beach: Music Hall MMF5.1se * Speed Box II * DL103r * Lounge Copla/LCRIII * Sonos * Schiit Yggdrasil * Belles 20a Pre * First Watt F5 Clone * PSAudio Dectet * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl
    @vcwatkins I am gonna use deoxit liquid if that will help and is good on sliver plate. Whadda ya think?
    one of those gold and silver cleaning rags works wonders Bruce. They are sold in just about any Target, Wal-Mart or Kohls type store at the jewelry counter. By the way silver tarnish I understand does not affect conductivity like say copper tarnish.
    A silver cleaning cloth (polish imbedded) is best as you don’t have to worry about fluid getting inside the banana clip

vcwatkins wrote: »
    I forgot to mention the bananas...
    [In my best Don Adams as Maxwell Smart voice]
    They always forget to mention the bananas...

:|

7ggqqh3b5qdd.png

• OleBootOleBoot Posts: 409

I started out with nothing and have most of it left.