Polk LSiM703 - harsh treble vs LSi9 or in general? How to fix?

13»

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,028
    edited March 2019
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • sponger
    sponger Posts: 325
    It's a relief to hear that the OP's dilemma was solved. But, if it was a source issue as it appears to have been in this case, then why was he satisfied with his LSi9? Perhaps the answer is that the LSi9 is a less resolving speaker than the LSiM, masking the limitations of the Fosgate amp. But, is the LSiM so much more resolving that it made that much of a difference to the OP's ears? Is it a coincidence that the Parasound amp is delivering significantly more power at 8 ohms? Could that not a be a major factor in the improvement?
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,287
    Yes to all
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 362
    sponger wrote: »
    It's a relief to hear that the OP's dilemma was solved. But, if it was a source issue as it appears to have been in this case, then why was he satisfied with his LSi9? Perhaps the answer is that the LSi9 is a less resolving speaker than the LSiM, masking the limitations of the Fosgate amp. But, is the LSiM so much more resolving that it made that much of a difference to the OP's ears? Is it a coincidence that the Parasound amp is delivering significantly more power at 8 ohms? Could that not a be a major factor in the improvement?

I agree that it could be either of these things, power or more resolving speaker. I personally found the LSi9s to have less treble/be less bright in general, so that probably plays into it as well, whether that's just the nature of the speaker, or the speaker being more resolving, or some of both. But I was also never able to try the LSi9s with the Parasound, obviously. Would love to give the speakers a try side by side with my new amp... if only I still had the 9s. Ha.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited March 2019
    sponger wrote: »

The lsi and lsim Series both use a very similar tweeter. (Vifa ring radiator)
    If anything the LsiM is simply voiced about 3-4 db or so hotter in the treble.

Response graphs were posted earlier in the thread......

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    The tweets are only related by the fact they call them tweeters. Their similar appearance does not mean they are anything more than distant cousins.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson