Polk LSiM703 - harsh treble vs LSi9 or in general? How to fix?

13»

Comments

• CottageChzCottageChz Posts: 68
    edited March 26
    @K_M I am early 30s. I still find that the speakers can sound kind of bright to me, but i don't have a ton of experience with other high end audio equipment to compare the sound of my system to. And it's not a terrible thing, it doesn't bother me, just an observation. What I was finding before was that the treble was overly harsh to the point that it sounded distorted to me, and that is certainly not the case anymore. I know what you are saying about high frequency acuity... it's obvious when I can hear some high or low pitched noise that drives me nuts and my parents are like, "what are you talking about?"

@nooshinjohn It's ok man! I am still really happy with my choices, and the great feedback I got here!
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,115
    edited March 26
    I’m in my mid thirties and probably have some of the worst ears on the forum. Having bad ears doesn’t detract from knowing good sound, or bad, when you hear it.

I do recall there being isolated issues with the LSiM tweeters a while back where they would distort especially on certain piano notes. Have all those issues been resolved?
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,320
    edited March 26
    Not worried @Cottagechz... and welcome aboard. My comments to K_M will be understood better as you hang out on the forum. They have a habit of posting things which are not helpful and contrary to the extensive knowledge and experience of many here. They just cannot help themselves.

Glad you were able to find the solution to your problem and that you expand d your experience by picking up the Parasound. You have the makings of a sweet setup.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,390
    CottageChz wrote: »
    @K_M I am early 30s. I still find that the speakers can sound kind of bright to me, but i don't have a ton of experience with other high end audio equipment to compare the sound of my system to. And it's not a terrible thing, it doesn't bother me, just an observation. What I was finding before was that the treble was overly harsh to the point that it sounded distorted to me, and that is certainly not the case anymore. I know what you are saying about high frequency acuity... it's obvious when I can hear some high or low pitched noise that drives me nuts and my parents are like, "what are you talking about?"

@nooshinjohn It's ok man! I am still really happy with my choices, and the great feedback I got here!

Cool to hear. My husband and I have different hearing acuity possible due to our age difference.
    He hears the LsiM series as just about right, I hear them as having boosted treble.
    With the lsi line I hear them as just right, he hears them as a bit dull sounding.

So your hearing seems more in line with how mine, or at least more similar.
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4,SDA 3.1TL, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Epos-Now gone
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon Hk-........
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775
    Pioneer.......Stereo Receiver

• heiney9heiney9 Posts: 24,112
    edited March 28
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Plus DAC | MIT Shotgun S3 | MIT Z P/C's | updated SDA 1C| SQ Box Touch/Welbourne Labs P/S- Tubes add soul!
  • spongersponger Posts: 325
    It's a relief to hear that the OP's dilemma was solved. But, if it was a source issue as it appears to have been in this case, then why was he satisfied with his LSi9? Perhaps the answer is that the LSi9 is a less resolving speaker than the LSiM, masking the limitations of the Fosgate amp. But, is the LSiM so much more resolving that it made that much of a difference to the OP's ears? Is it a coincidence that the Parasound amp is delivering significantly more power at 8 ohms? Could that not a be a major factor in the improvement?
    Denon AVR 3312CI
    S15
    Sony 790S
    Denon DP 300f
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 5,001
    Yes to all
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

• CottageChzCottageChz Posts: 68
    sponger wrote: »
    It's a relief to hear that the OP's dilemma was solved. But, if it was a source issue as it appears to have been in this case, then why was he satisfied with his LSi9? Perhaps the answer is that the LSi9 is a less resolving speaker than the LSiM, masking the limitations of the Fosgate amp. But, is the LSiM so much more resolving that it made that much of a difference to the OP's ears? Is it a coincidence that the Parasound amp is delivering significantly more power at 8 ohms? Could that not a be a major factor in the improvement?

I agree that it could be either of these things, power or more resolving speaker. I personally found the LSi9s to have less treble/be less bright in general, so that probably plays into it as well, whether that's just the nature of the speaker, or the speaker being more resolving, or some of both. But I was also never able to try the LSi9s with the Parasound, obviously. Would love to give the speakers a try side by side with my new amp... if only I still had the 9s. Ha.
  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,390
    edited March 29
    sponger wrote: »

The lsi and lsim Series both use a very similar tweeter. (Vifa ring radiator)
    If anything the LsiM is simply voiced about 3-4 db or so hotter in the treble.

Response graphs were posted earlier in the thread......

Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4,SDA 3.1TL, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Epos-Now gone
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon Hk-........
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775
    Pioneer.......Stereo Receiver

• nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,320
    The tweets are only related by the fact they call them tweeters. Their similar appearance does not mean they are anything more than distant cousins.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”