Amplifier static click/pop through speaker when turning on & off

13»

Comments

• Tony MTony M Posts: 6,875
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Tony M wrote: »
    Can you ground your Ruby to your rack with a small thin wire just for static charge?

I'm not sure what the purpose of doing that would be.

It's in my sentence at the end.

Your pops seem to happen after a while of playing a CD. Static build up somehow...that's what I was thinking of. Just like a TT can develop it.

Your rack is metal isn't it?

Have you read the ads for static brushes for TTs that ground to your rack or plate screws on an outlet? I would think you have by now.

I'm just trying to figure out why you have this problem and giving a possible solution. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 20,046
    A big bag o' clipleads would have made a great stocking stuffer...

6j82cy9k0q3y.png

Note that the ones shown above include a small value air-core inductor at no additional cost.

B)
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 5,235
    Tony M wrote: »
    It's in my sentence at the end.

Your pops seem to happen after a while of playing a CD. Static build up somehow...that's what I was thinking of. Just like a TT can develop it.

Your rack is metal isn't it?

Have you read the ads for static brushes for TTs that ground to your rack or plate screws on an outlet? I would think you have by now.

I'm just trying to figure out why you have this problem and giving a possible solution. ;)

I see what you mean now. So, I was describing the noises as "static pops" because that description most accurately fit what I was hearing. However, I'm unsure if the noises are actually being caused by a buildup of static electricity.

In general terms, I've never experienced an issue with static electricity in my place like I have in some homes. My parent's house is especially bad in the winter, when you can sometimes see the electricity arc from your finger to what you are about to touch, like a metal doorknob.

I hooked the Ampino preamp up to a different power amp tonight and played three CDs without any pop noises at all.

The highly intermittent nature of this problem makes it very tedious and difficult to troubleshoot.
    • "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
    I don't know if it's static elec. either.

What you have going on there is a true gremlin. It comes at very different times with different things.

Now the amps seem to be the reason it happened but I thought the amps were confirmed to be ok before. I also HATE electrical issues.

I hope you find the culprit soon or it leaves your system for good. ;)
    edited January 16
    I've been using the Ampino Preamp hooked up to a Bryston ST 3B for the last several weeks, and I've experienced no static pops whatsoever. Everything has been sounding fantastic, and the Bryston seems to have great synergy with the 703s.

Perhaps the Bryston has some sort of "protection" in it to prevent "stray DC" from manifesting as unwanted static pops? Whereas the Ampino monoblocks have no "protection circuitry" or something of that nature? I'm honestly not sure.

It's slightly disconcerting that the issue seems to present itself when using the three pieces as a set, as they are intended. However, it's very possible they would work flawlessly in someone else's setup.
    • "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
    Sorry to hear the gremlins left your stereo system when you separated the Dayens. That's crazy. Dayens won't like that.

I'm shaking my head in disgust that you can't use the Dayens as a set anymore.

I hope you get a solution of some kind now that you have determined it's the 3 pieces together that cause those problems.
    I'll bet you're antsy about picking up those beautiful PMCs after work!

I would be! :p
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 1,511
    No joke right?^^

But maybe someone else would benefit from the Dayens as a set and you could get a killer pre to go with your new reference system.
    Ruby/??/Bryston/PMC
    Ahhhhh
    2ch: PS Audio Stellar Gain pre, 4 x Linn LK240 monoblocks ( bi-amping) Elac Adante AF-61's, SVS SB16 Ultra Subwoofer, Cambridge Audio CXN v2, Rega Planar 2 with upgrades, Vincent PHO 701 Phono pre, Audioquest Niagara 1000, AQ Thunder, AQ XLR's and IC's, Wireworld Stratus and Aurora power cables, Atlas EOS power cable, Denon 2910 (as transport) Sony CPD355 Jukebox cd

5.1: Marantz sr5003 (feeding mains through HT bypass) Sonus Faber solo center, AQ Carbon HDMI's, Sony XBRx900E, Xbox One S as 4k player, Definitive Technology SM350's surrounds, Tivo Bolt, Harmony Elite remote

Other gear: Totem Rainmakers (not hooked up) Sonos play 5 and play 1's x 2, Audio Technica TT and Edifier active speakers in kids room, JVC XM448 minidisc rack mount, Sony minidisc walkman, Project Debut III (currently not working), Samsung 46, and 2 x32" tvs, Samsung Soundbar, Okki Nokki LP cleaner, Second Harmony remote setup for bedroom, etc etc
    edited January 16
    I already have a killer Backert pre, I could spend the money on worthwhile upgrades like cable risers and shakti stones.
    "pop" protection is generally a capacitor -- maybe an RC or LRC network.
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    "pop" protection is generally a capacitor -- maybe an RC or LRC network.

Well according to Dayens, "Our Monos have input capacitors (they are capacitor coupled) so if there is any DC coming from the preamp (which would be there from the source) it will be filtered in the input stage of the amp."
    edited January 16
    Yup -- there are, shall we say, conflicting opinions about whether capacitors (in the signal path) are a good thing or a bad thing. Certainly in the 1970s, capacitors were "out", and so-called DC (direct coupled -- not direct current) components were all the range.

The problem with direct coupled components, of course, is that they're direct coupled. For example, if one has a source component with a little DC offset, a direct-coupled amplifier can dutifully pass and, in many cases, even amplify that DC... right along to one's loudspeakers. A good does of high-ish voltage DC can cook a loudspeaker driver (usually woofer) voice coil pretty quicly. This can be rather a bigger deal than a pop or click. :(

As a vacuum tube guy, I am more or less* stuck with capacitors (or transformers) between stages to block plate DC voltage :) I'm OK with that.

Fortunately, most vacuum tube components couple their power amplifier stages to loudspeakers using transformers. DC cannot pass through a transformer (although an autofomer can pass DC). :|

Here's a DC vacuum tube design, e.g.
    http://www.oocities.org/TimesSquare/1965/darling.html

k2fy3xw5u6ca.png

Well, we originally thought that the issue was being caused by the always-on phono preamp that was connected to the Ampino Preamp. But now, the issue seems to be related to the three pieces working as a set.

I'm not sure where to go from here other than abstaining from using the three as a set.
    That is the best solution.

Like the old Henny Youngman routine.
    Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." (patient flaps his wrist)
    Doctor: "Don't do that."

This is probably part of the reason that medical care was much less expensive in those days. :|

Anyone wanna buy a Dayens Ampino Preamp and Monoblocks combo? Mint condition. I'll sell them for a nice price.

xTiIzGPpP8OeScG8Qo.gif
    I’m sorry but I would get that warranty claim done. You already started the complaint before the warranty expiration so they should honor it. Let’s see what Verty says about that?
    2ch: PS Audio Stellar Gain pre, 4 x Linn LK240 monoblocks ( bi-amping) Elac Adante AF-61's, SVS SB16 Ultra Subwoofer, Cambridge Audio CXN v2, Rega Planar 2 with upgrades, Vincent PHO 701 Phono pre, Audioquest Niagara 1000, AQ Thunder, AQ XLR's and IC's, Wireworld Stratus and Aurora power cables, Atlas EOS power cable, Denon 2910 (as transport) Sony CPD355 Jukebox cd

5.1: Marantz sr5003 (feeding mains through HT bypass) Sonus Faber solo center, AQ Carbon HDMI's, Sony XBRx900E, Xbox One S as 4k player, Definitive Technology SM350's surrounds, Tivo Bolt, Harmony Elite remote

Other gear: Totem Rainmakers (not hooked up) Sonos play 5 and play 1's x 2, Audio Technica TT and Edifier active speakers in kids room, JVC XM448 minidisc rack mount, Sony minidisc walkman, Project Debut III (currently not working), Samsung 46, and 2 x32" tvs, Samsung Soundbar, Okki Nokki LP cleaner, Second Harmony remote setup for bedroom, etc etc
    I'm not sure that there's anything finite enough to make an actual "warranty claim", but I've reached out to Zoran at Dayens to discuss next steps.

Perhaps sending all three pieces back to Verty, having them make the preamp capacitor coupled, and then all three units getting a clean bill of health and sent back would be the best option at this point.
    I'm the 667th view.

I had to change that number I saw on the main page of "recent discussions". ;) :D
    It's been a few days and still no response from Dayens unfortunately.
    Wow. That’s not good.
    Any other recourse with the dealer Verty?

Is there a holiday where they're made?
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Wow. That’s not good.
    Any other recourse with the dealer Verty?

I will give them a few more days and then re-send the email and copy Verty.
13»