Speaker wire

Will be looking for a pair of 8' terminated with nanners. Now that I've sold my pool table I'll be relocating the 2 channel rig to a new rack(yet to be purchased). I figure 8' will do it but I can always tale care of an additional foot or so. Not sure if it matters but the speakers are SDA2B, amp is a Parasound HCA1500 and the pre is tubed Dynaco PAS4.

Anybody have something in the closet to save me a few bucks on new wire? No rush on this since I have yet to decide on the audio stand.
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    edited November 2018
    I think I have some lamp cord tucked away... :p

I believe @DSkip has a few still or sale that would suit you.
    Post edited by FestYboy on
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,954
    As much as I would love to have any of those, the Mrs would shoot me.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Just make sure it's loaded with blanks first... That way both of you walk away feeling good about the situation ;)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,007
    Don't know how much your willing to spend but I have a bunch of Speaker cables terminated in Banana's. PM me
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    muncybob wrote: »
    As much as I would love to have any of those, the Mrs would shoot me.

Duck
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    I have some MIT Avt1 for sale.
    [
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    ^^^ The DEVIL made me post that...
  • muncybob
    Problem is I don't have 8' of hangers and would have to splice them which I'm sure requires tools I don't have.

The "boss" says I have a budget of only around $200 and she's even on the fence about that since I'm also splurging for a rack at the same time. I doubt the MIT's are in this range, but if they are PM me!

I can pick up some Audioquest Rocket 33 or Type 8(no frills) for about the same price.....not sure which way to go.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Wireworld closeouts has Lunas fo $90 I think
  • mhardy6647
    Not that this is necessarily helpful but at least it will be a serious reply! :)

I have been using some hand-me-down Canare cabling purchased (if memory serves) from @ALL212 for a while, and I have been pretty darned pleased with it. I noticed a recent for-sale ad in which he said he's moved to
    Mogami and Wireworld
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/184136/canare-4s8-speaker-wire-man-cave-cleanout

So... all three of the above-mentioned cables seem like worthy and (?) cost-effective options?

FWIW...I was previously using some of that "Anti-Cable" sort of stuff (i.e., twin runs of 18 gauge varnish insulated magnet wire, it was store-bought but I am not 100% sure of the brand) which sounded pretty good (better than zip cord) but was (is) ungainly due to its stiffness. Best suited to a one and done installation -- which is anathema to me. ;)

gfk5sbbuuvmi.png

That image looks like it should also have an "As seen on TV" logo on it! :p

• mhardy6647
    edited November 2018
    Mogami & Canare cabling is readily available, e.g., from https://www.markertek.com/ (whom I'd recommend as a vendor based on my experiences to date, FWIW) -- terminate as you wish :)

I know folks who spend more on individual components than I would prefer to spend on an automobile :p who are using Mogami wire for interconnects and for speaker wire. Take that for what it's worth :)

That said -- the cool guys on my rather rarefied side of this hobby :) (i.e., fleapowered/low powered vacuum tube amplifiers and large, high-sensitivity loudspeakers) seem to be enamored of this Duelund wire... it's not inexpensive, though (at least by my standards) and I've not heard it (at least, not knowingly). Probably a little out of step with the kind of wire that's fashionable around these parts, but still I figured I'd mention it.

https://www.partsconnexion.com/duelund-speaker-cable.html

• muncybob
    Well, you have me thinking now :) Have read some good things about Mogami W3103. Also looked at Canare 4S11 and Belden 5000. I'm thinking with my hearing I probably can't go wrong with any of these but am open to opinions for sure. Also, why would one select nanners over spades or visa versa as long as either are an option for the equipment in use?
  • pitdogg2
    Canare 4s11 use this link.

https://www.chromaleaf.com/products/canare-4s11-star-quad-speaker-wire-per-foot?variant=43132896904

if you call Have inc they will beat the price. the last time I called it was .95 per foot.

http://store.haveinc.com/p-49380-canare-4s11-starquad-speaker-cable-14-awg-cut.aspx

Have Inc. is a great place to do business with.
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,552
    Wanna play?

Mogami 3103 (12g twisted pair) is great wire. Dave - @Daboyz - just handed me a pile of it to terminate. Unfortunately I've misplaced my heat gun (new one on the way) over at my sons house so we're experiencing a delay. But I did have my own 3103 that I've rented him at an exorbitantly high price until I've got these done.

Mogami 3082 (14g coax) is also a variation that I've used. It's not quite as impressive physically as the 3101 but is also a very good speaker wire.

Mogami 2534 (2 pair of 24g twisted with a shield) can also be used. Just tie all the wires together for about 15g.

If you're still shopping let me know. The 3082 could be let go... I don't remember how long they are. I know the ends are different vendors but both ends are 'naners.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    Check the market for the 3082. Now that I've thought through it I'm not sure where I would use that and it might as well be gone.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • muncybob
    I really like those Viablue connectors. First time I've seen an insulating jacket over the actual nanner. I'm leaning toward the 3103 with those connectors but still undecided.

Once I relocated the rig(wall to wall carpet being installed today) I must take better measurements for the length needed. As usual, I'm probably overthinking this for a short run of speaker wire but all the input is greatly appreciated.
  • shadowlight
    shadowlight Posts: 327
    edited November 2018
    I think I have some Canare cables, but the banana on one side for both right and left is bare and I will have to measure it. I will take some pictures tonight.

The catch - you have to donate 25 bucks to any of your local food bank charity/church, etc and pay shipping. If you donate 35 bucks I will ship it to you for free :smile:

Edit: Mods if my post is not appropriate please bin it. Just trying to help local charities during the Thanksgiving and Holiday season.
  • Hey Bob,
    I have a pair of 8 1/2 ft. Canare 4s11 speaker cables I'll let you have for $125 shipped to you. Let me know if you are interested. I made these cables several years ago and used them in my main system before I started upgrading. xixw52snbhot.jpg
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • Sorry, my cables are shorter than what you need.
  • ALL212
    I bought @daboyz Wireworld speaker cables over in the FS stuff - the blue ones, Oasis? Not sure what generation, not sure how long they were run.

Plug for @dskip and his Wireworld cables:

Pulled the Groneberg cables, these are the ultra shielded Quattro Reference wire terminated with Via Blue tubes at the wire and T2 spades on the speaker end and T2 banana's on the amp end. I've never doubted them for a minute but it was time to shake things up. They've been in for all of 15 minutes or so and although not night and day difference I'm going with better... Bass seems more - that's all I'm going to give it for now. Nothing standing out yet in mid to treble but definitely no losses there.

I don't like moving things around on the main rig so don't expect me to pop the Grony's back in, nor will the Mogami's get pushed in there until I'm ready for another changeup. And based on what I'm hearing that might be awhile.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,525
    edited November 2018
    ALL212 wrote: »
    They've been in for all of 15 minutes or so and although not night and day difference I'm going with better... Bass seems more - that's all I'm going to give it for now. Nothing standing out yet in mid to treble but definitely no losses there.

Give them time to settle in physically undisturbed. It can take a while to break them in.

In my experience I usually start to hear positive changes around 50 hours of active signal.
  • muncybob
    Ok, firstly I want to thank everybody for the offers/suggestions. If nothing else I learned a thing or two from doing some research.

Now it's with a red face that I must admit I started this thread due to a bad memory....I was the recipient of a pair of cables from a Karma by Trey, the Supra Quadrax speaker wire. I tucked these away until the music room got rearranged and now they are getting ready to be put into the rig. If nothing else I will give a short review of them compared to the much cheaper looking wire I had been using.
  • muncybob
    Since this is the WTB section I thought I would mention I now need some nanners or spades that will take bulky wire. Once each pair of this wire is twisted it is fairly "thick".
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 734
    Hey Bob,
    I have a pair of 8 1/2 ft. Canare 4s11 speaker cables I'll let you have for $125 shipped to you. Let me know if you are interested. I made these cables several years ago and used them in my main system before I started upgrading. xixw52snbhot.jpg

You still want to sell these? Need an upgrade for my 703s, and this is the perfect length.
    Living Room (HT):Denon AVR X-3000 ; Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s ; Ascend Acoustics Duo Center ; LSiFX Surrounds ; Sub – Rhythmik F12SE

2 Channel Studio: Marantz PM8004 Integrated ; Marantz SA8004 ; Music Hall MMF 7.3TT w/Ortofon Bronze; Schiit Bifrost DAC ; Monitor 7 Series 2 with RDO 198s; Rythmik F12SE

Don't cry
    Don't raise your eye
    It's only teenage wasteland
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 734
    Gonna have to pass on this. Truck developed a massive fuel leak, and repairs are likely going to take any spare $$ I have for a few months. Thanks for reaching out though.
    Living Room (HT):Denon AVR X-3000 ; Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s ; Ascend Acoustics Duo Center ; LSiFX Surrounds ; Sub – Rhythmik F12SE

2 Channel Studio: Marantz PM8004 Integrated ; Marantz SA8004 ; Music Hall MMF 7.3TT w/Ortofon Bronze; Schiit Bifrost DAC ; Monitor 7 Series 2 with RDO 198s; Rythmik F12SE

Don't cry
    Don't raise your eye
    It's only teenage wasteland
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,272
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Canare 4s11 use this link.
    https://www.chromaleaf.com/products/canare-4s11-star-quad-speaker-wire-per-foot?variant=43132896904

If you call Have inc they will beat the price. the last time I called it was .95 per foot.
    http://store.haveinc.com/p-49380-canare-4s11-starquad-speaker-cable-14-awg-cut.aspx

Have Inc. is a great place to do business with.
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Mogami & Canare cabling is readily available, e.g., from https://www.markertek.com/ (whom I'd recommend as a vendor based on my experiences to date, FWIW) -- terminate as you wish :)

Duelund wire...
    https://www.partsconnexion.com/duelund-speaker-cable.html

Dag guys, what other secret suppliers and vendors are you all hoarding?
    These places got all kindsa stuff.

I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    I know a guy....
  • mhardy6647
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I know a guy....

Unfortunately, I know a whole bunch of 'em.
    Frickin' enablers.

:)