Comments

• codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,735
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Tony M wrote: »
    Rockport Avior

I see what you're saying. :o

I bet they sounded as good as they look!
    92jtbtmblffc.png

Thankfully I had the chance to listen to a pair of these at the only audio show I attended. Paired up with Moon by Sim Audio monoblocks. Very nice indeed!

I enjoyed my time with the Rockports.

I think if I built another system, I would give them another try.

May I ask the reason you parted with them? As nice as they sounded when I listened to them it put the "point of diminishing returns" into perspective for me. Yes they sounded good but $36,800 better than my system? No.

Because I think my current speakers work better for me than those did.

Synergy is the name of the game man.
    Living room

Mains: Paradigm 90P
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12, Pioneer SW-8Mk2
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved 4k

2 Channel Den

Mains: SDA2B Upgraded XOs and Binding Posts
    Pre: Denon PRA-1200
    Power: Adcom GFA-545
    TT: Pioneer PL510

Noggin Rockin'

Phillips L2
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

Closet of Dreams:

Polk RTA11TL
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7
    Yamaha AV-34

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • verbverb Posts: 4,001
    halo wrote: »
    Von Schweikert VR2

qkw0302yk9p0.jpg

Love the VTL Pre! :wink:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Preamplifier, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, Marantz CD-1, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Project BoxE, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • halohalo Posts: 4,479
    Von Schweikert VR2

qkw0302yk9p0.jpg

Victor, Was this your set-up? The TAD-60 was my first Tube Amp. it was what pushed me over the edge into Tubes. A killer piece that I also wish that I had never sold, should have found another one and used them as Monoblocks!

Yes, this was my setup :)

The speakers were only this close together for the photo.

I purchased the TAD-60's from Paul (RIP) and my ex-wife and I drove out to the UPS store to pick them up. Also got the APC-H10 on that deal. Rich @SCompRacer and @Normanality (RIP) turned me on to these tube amps after a major debacle with Peter McAllister of McAllister Audio, and his tube amps, didn't deliver or arrive as promised/requested.

I used them to bi-amp the VR2 as I was wanting the EL34 on the top end with the KT88 on the bottom end. Didn't really work out as well as I had hoped and the single amp didn't quite have to "power" I was looking for. I eventually sold the VR2 speakers to my brother to fund the purchase of the InnerSound Eros hybrid ESL speakers that both Norm & Rich were running. I tried to use the TAD-60 tube amps to bi-amp the ESL speakers but that was a no go. Ended up with a Sanders (InnerSound) MK II ESL amp on the panels and the InnerSound Active x-over / bass amp on the bottom end.
  • DollarDaveDollarDave Posts: 2,546
    edited October 12
    Not an exotic speaker, but my first pretty decent set - EPI model 2's. I'd love to pick up some model 1's or 2's again for my stash.

About 5 years ago, I traded a set of pristine Sony SS-M7's for a set of Vandersteens. Not disappointed in the Vandy's, but the Sony's had a real coolness factor.
  • SCompRacerSCompRacer Posts: 6,949
    edited October 14
    ……. Rich @SCompRacer and @Normanality (RIP) turned me on to these tube amps.......

Does Greg still have the VR2's?

The TAD's were great amps!

I had upgraded from '60's to TAD 1000 mono blocks!

hkgnzc3hyjc1.jpg

az642skmab1f.jpg

Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ & Pro 11+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS* Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,131
    I was pursuing a pair of TAD 100 I think many years ago. They sold before I could snag them though. I’ve always wanted to hear them, but looking back I think there was something like 11 tubes per amp - that’s a ton of expense to play with!
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
13»