What speakers do you regret letting go?

Comments

• CH46ECH46E Posts: 791
    xschop wrote: »
    Does "letting go" count when you pass on a set? If so, could have snatched some 8T's awhile back. Always on the lookout for a set of those local as well.

Sure. I passed on a mint pair of JBL 4301s and have always kicked myself for not buying them.

h8x5g2jmrnqe.jpg
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,568
    edited October 7
    CH46E wrote: »
    Does "letting go" count when you pass on a set? If so, could have snatched some 8T's awhile back. Always on the lookout for a set of those local as well.

Sure. I passed on a mint pair of JBL 4301s and have always kicked myself for not buying them.

Why?
    (not personal faves of mine, but de gustibus non est disputandum)
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Why?

I am a fan of that LE25 tweeter. Not sure why but it sounds amazing to me. Never been a big fan of soft dome tweeters. I unusually prefer metallic diaphrams.
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,131
    I don't regret selling any speakers, only not buying some. KLH 9, Hales Transcendent 8.... speakers that weren't reasonable for me but I still wanted. I avoided them because at the time I would've had to buy new amps to run them and I couldn't afford both.

I was sad to see the CP-6311 go. I would be almost heartbroken to see the Shuguang monos and pre go. These products are more sentimental as they remind me of the struggles and triumphs Stephanie and I went through during that time, not necessarily due to performance.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • Mike ReeterMike Reeter Posts: 3,316
    Heirloom quality, heavily modded pair of 2.3TL's. Dumb A$$ decision on my part!

But, "if" I had them, they would still be setting in the storage room...
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's/SDA SRS 3.1TL's/SDA CRS+4.1TL's and some other stuff
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 13,060
    Then it makes sense to let them go. Just sitting around unused in a storage locker is a waste of the speakers and space.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • SIHABSIHAB Posts: 282
    fmced6j2lm76.jpg

I miss my hair more than the setup.
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Then it makes sense to let them go. Just sitting around unused in a storage locker is a waste of the speakers and space.

You're absolutely right Cathy, the pride of ownership is what I miss the most.

Why?

I am a fan of that LE25 tweeter. Not sure why but it sounds amazing to me. Never been a big fan of soft dome tweeters. I unusually prefer metallic diaphra[g]ms.

Thanks for sharing that.

My idea, FWIW, of a good JBL tweeter is rather different... but it does have a "metallic diaphragm". :)

32398308763_9ab0b73a8c_h.jpgDSC_7248 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    @mhardy6647
    Do you like the extra sizzle the fostex brings?
    Do you listen to music often w/ it?
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,735
    I have some speakers on lend to some friends I miss, RTA11TLs that I brought back from the DEAD. I mean busted up cabs, missing tweeters, all mid drivers seized and missing grilles. Slowly over time I get the cabs sealed up and cleaned up, all mid drivers replaced, put some SL3000s in there and found grilles on ebay.

I'll get them back when the time calls for it but right now I am still jamming to my "aspire to own them" SDA 2Bs. Took some time to upgrade them but I can't think of another speaker I really want at this time.
    Living room

Mains: Paradigm 90P
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12, Pioneer SW-8Mk2
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved 4k

2 Channel Den

Mains: SDA2B Upgraded XOs and Binding Posts
    Pre: Denon PRA-1200
    Power: Adcom GFA-545
    TT: Pioneer PL510

Noggin Rockin'

Phillips L2
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

Closet of Dreams:

Polk RTA11TL
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7
    Yamaha AV-34

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
    edited October 8
    SIHAB wrote: »
    @mhardy6647

Yes. It is crossed in very high (nominally 20 kHz!) but first order -- and padded.
    Actually, a year or so ago, I replaced them with the must more modest, but nice (and very lively without being edgy) B&C DE35 neodymium bullet tweeters. The Fostexes are still sitting on a shelf here; pretty pleased with the B&Cs.

https://www.parts-express.com/bc-de35-neodymium-mylar-bullet-tweeter--294-580

I like smoooooooth -- I hate ear gouging. I am still amazed that I (finally) found a JBL treble driver that I like... but on the EH500-2 horns, I like the 2441 just fine indeed.
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 4,287
    I have a few. Jbl l150, tyler acoustics taylo with the nass bins ( 4 x8" in each cabinet) and the legacy focus.
    Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,
    USB helpers: w4s Recovery
    Living Room Elite SC27, LSI25
    Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

• FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 2,981
    How can I regret when I still own them all...? I bet there a few out there who regret selling to me ;)
  • verbverb Posts: 4,001
    I can totally believe that! Mr "I'm on a binge again" ! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Preamplifier, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, Marantz CD-1, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Project BoxE, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
    edited October 8
    Interesting Doc. It's crossed over so high it's like a dog whistle for me.
    I was using test/setup CD a while back and it confirmed the hearing loss.
    Rosso Fiorentino crosses their super tweeter over at 25khz. While we technically can't hear that high it does add to the experience.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
  • vcwatkinsvcwatkins Posts: 1,734
    Usher 6311, sniff.
    Den: Rega RP6 (mods) * AT33PTGII * Jolida jd9 (mods) * Roon (Sonic Transporter) * PS Audio DirectStream Jr. * Joule-Electra LA-100 iii * Sunfire Signature II * PSAudio p3 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2 (full mods)
    Office: Roon * ProJect Pre Box S2 * Pass Amp Camp Amp * PSAudio Dectet * MIT S3 * Hartley Reference Mini-Tower
    Beach: Music Hall MMF5.1se (mods) * Speed Box II * DL103r * Belles 20a Phono * Roon * Schiit Yggdrasil * Belles 20a Pre * First Watt F5 Clone * PSAudio Dectet * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods)
    Tony M wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Rockport Avior

I see what you're saying. :o

I bet they sounded as good as they look!
    92jtbtmblffc.png

WOW! Slick as **** looking!
    Interesting Doc. It's crossed over so high it's like a dog whistle for me.
    I was using test/setup CD a while back and it confirmed the hearing loss.

only down 6 dB per octave, though... My hearing is pretty much gone above 13k any more, but the tweeters, so configured, have plenty of audible output.
    edited October 8
    @mhardy6647

Yes. It is crossed in very high (nominally 20 kHz!) but first order -- and padded.
    Actually, a year or so ago, I replaced them with the must more modest, but nice (and very lively without being edgy) B&C DE35 neodymium bullet tweeters. The Fostexes are still sitting on a shelf here; pretty pleased with the B&Cs.

https://www.parts-express.com/bc-de35-neodymium-mylar-bullet-tweeter--294-580

I like smoooooooth -- I hate ear gouging. I am still amazed that I (finally) found a JBL treble driver that I like... but on the EH500-2 horns, I like the 2441 just fine indeed.

I was very interested in adding some super tweets to my rta12b. I JUst dont know a lot about integrating them. My hearing loss would benefit from a little added sizzle. I find myself upping the treble a lot in the EQ. My hearing drops fast at about 14k.

I used to have. Pair of 90's era Boston Acoustic pro 10 inch subs for the car. I really regret letting them go. They were and still are some of the best subs I've heard. Music was astoundingly great!

edited October 8
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    Usher 6311, sniff.

Save up for some Fiesole's and you'll never miss them again. >:)

Actually, that isn't true. I still have a soft spot for the 6311. What a first step into 'real' hifi that was for me. Stephanie 'let' me go pick them up on mother's day, which took 3 hours to do. As I pull up to purchase them, I see them being loaded into the back of another guy's vehicle. I get out of the car and scream at the seller as we had been in constant contact and I let him know I was literally on my way to buy. The guy who bought them ended up letting me buy them for $50 more a few weeks later as he was more interested in the bookies than the 6311. It all worked out, but the experience is one that makes me smile when I reflect back. Stephanie was so supportive of my audio journey and I miss that. I wish she was here to be a part of what AudioThesis has become as it was her grace that allowed me to pursue it.

And there goes the rest of my night...
    audiothesis.com/

• kharp1kharp1 Posts: 2,583
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    Usher 6311, sniff.

I'm not going to say I regret selling them, but, I do miss them. In a state of flux at the moment. There will be Ushers back in my house soon, though.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Dual SVS SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Rockport Avior

92jtbtmblffc.png

Thankfully I had the chance to listen to a pair of these at the only audio show I attended. Paired up with Moon by Sim Audio monoblocks. Very nice indeed!
    Living room

2 Channel Den

Noggin Rockin'

Phillips L2
    Harman Kardon CL

Closet of Dreams:

Polk RTA11TL
    Yamaha AV-34

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • Joey_VJoey_V Posts: 6,657
    Rockport Avior

92jtbtmblffc.png

Thankfully I had the chance to listen to a pair of these at the only audio show I attended. Paired up with Moon by Sim Audio monoblocks. Very nice indeed!

I enjoyed my time with the Rockports.

I think if I built another system, I would give them another try.
    Joey's Gear:
    Current Gear:
    Torus RM15 -> Emm Labs DAC2x and TSDX Transport -> Cary SLP-05 preamp -> Boulder 2060 stereo amp (w/ Audioquest WEL Signature) -> new speakers
    Rotel RA1592 Super Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    Rotel RC1570 preamp -> Rotel RB1582 amp -> Focal Kanta 2

Old Gear:
    Speakers: BW PM1 (3.5/5), CM10s2 (3.75/5), BW800D3 (5/5), Rockport Aviors (5/5), Sonus Faber Stradivari (5/5), BW 802D2 (4.5/5), Martin Logan Summits (4.25/5), Martin Logan Vantage (4/5), Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor (3.75/5), AV123 Strata Mini (3.5/5), ML Mosaic (3.25/5), Onix Ref1 (3/5), Sonus Faber Concerto (2.75/5), SF Concertino (2.5/5), Axiom M22ti (2/5), Polk LSi9 (3/5), LSi7 (2.9/5)
    Source: Squeezebox 3 -> PS Audio Digital Link III -> Cary 306/200 CDP -> Cary 306 SACD -> EMM LABS DAC2X/TSDX
    Preamplification: Rotel RC1070 -> Rogue Perseus -> Cary SLP98 -> Cary SLP98F1 -> Cary SLP05 (sold and then repurchased)
    Amplification: HK AVR330 -> Rotel RB1070 -> Rotel RB1090 -> Plinius SA102 -> Cary 211FE -> Classe M600 -> Boulder 2060
    Subwoofer: Infinity Entra2 sub -> SVS 25-31PC+ sub
    Rockport Avior

92jtbtmblffc.png

May I ask the reason you parted with them? As nice as they sounded when I listened to them it put the "point of diminishing returns" into perspective for me. Yes they sounded good but $36,800 better than my system? No.
    Living room

2 Channel Den

Noggin Rockin'

Phillips L2
    Harman Kardon CL

Closet of Dreams:

Polk RTA11TL
    Yamaha AV-34

• Joey_VJoey_V Posts: 6,657
    Rockport Avior

92jtbtmblffc.png

May I ask the reason you parted with them? As nice as they sounded when I listened to them it put the "point of diminishing returns" into perspective for me. Yes they sounded good but $36,800 better than my system? No.

Because I think my current speakers work better for me than those did.
    Joey's Gear:
    Current Gear:
    Torus RM15 -> Emm Labs DAC2x and TSDX Transport -> Cary SLP-05 preamp -> Boulder 2060 stereo amp (w/ Audioquest WEL Signature) -> new speakers
    Rotel RA1592 Super Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    Rotel RC1570 preamp -> Rotel RB1582 amp -> Focal Kanta 2

Old Gear:
    Speakers: BW PM1 (3.5/5), CM10s2 (3.75/5), BW800D3 (5/5), Rockport Aviors (5/5), Sonus Faber Stradivari (5/5), BW 802D2 (4.5/5), Martin Logan Summits (4.25/5), Martin Logan Vantage (4/5), Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor (3.75/5), AV123 Strata Mini (3.5/5), ML Mosaic (3.25/5), Onix Ref1 (3/5), Sonus Faber Concerto (2.75/5), SF Concertino (2.5/5), Axiom M22ti (2/5), Polk LSi9 (3/5), LSi7 (2.9/5)
    Source: Squeezebox 3 -> PS Audio Digital Link III -> Cary 306/200 CDP -> Cary 306 SACD -> EMM LABS DAC2X/TSDX
    Preamplification: Rotel RC1070 -> Rogue Perseus -> Cary SLP98 -> Cary SLP98F1 -> Cary SLP05 (sold and then repurchased)
    Amplification: HK AVR330 -> Rotel RB1070 -> Rotel RB1090 -> Plinius SA102 -> Cary 211FE -> Classe M600 -> Boulder 2060
    Subwoofer: Infinity Entra2 sub -> SVS 25-31PC+ sub
    halo wrote: »
    Von Schweikert VR2

qkw0302yk9p0.jpg

Victor, Was this your set-up? The TAD-60 was my first Tube Amp. it was what pushed me over the edge into Tubes. A killer piece that I also wish that I had never sold, should have found another one and used them as Monoblocks!