The SDA SRS's have landed at Verb's house!

12346»

Comments

• ^^^^^^I listened to Frankenstein at a healthy volume recently on my 1.2's and I agree that song is downright amazing on the big sda's.
  • verbverb Posts: 4,447
    On some recordings, it seems as though my 19’6” by 15’8” room sounds as if the space is a full sized concert hall. Close your eyes, a double shot of Jefferson Reserve 35 year old wine-cask finished whiskey, and the illusion is complete.

Had a couple of Jack & Diet Cokes at dinner (doubles no less!) and yes the experience was greatly enhanced! Dang dude, a whiskey rabbit hole? Sounds like fun!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Rega RP1 TT, VTL 2.5 Preamplifier, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs DAC, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, Marantz CD-1 transport, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus Subwoofer, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Project BoxE Bluetooth Streamer, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 18,921
    I prefer the boutique whiskeys, and treat them as a desert after a good dinner. More than that would be dangerous to a guy that has more alcoholics in it than an Irish pub on a payday Friday.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

Tony M wrote: »
    I've heard the same phenomenon a few times myself with my SRS2's with a few songs but the one that I remember the most is with "Frankenstein".

I've heard the sound come at me then beside me and then from behind me with Edgar Winter's song "Frankenstein". That long synthesizer run in the middle does it every time. B)

I haven't heard another speaker set from another manufacturer do this, ever.

So I admit, I heard this song before, but vaguely. Just watched the video, OMG this guys has got some talent! Gotta get this CD!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Rega RP1 TT, VTL 2.5 Preamplifier, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs DAC, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, Marantz CD-1 transport, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus Subwoofer, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Project BoxE Bluetooth Streamer, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
    I prefer the boutique whiskeys, and treat them as a desert after a good dinner. More than that would be dangerous to a guy that has more alcoholics in it than an Irish pub on a payday Friday.

Yep. Weekends are my time to indulge a bit. Funny too, as the Mrs and I are leaving out the door for dinner she reminded me "are you going to turn the pre-amp on?" What a woman! :smile:
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 6,795
    edited November 2018
    On some recordings, it seems as though my 19’6” by 15’8” room sounds as if the space is a full sized concert hall. Close your eyes, a double shot of Jefferson Reserve 35 year old wine-cask finished whiskey, and the illusion is complete.

I just bought all those "Joe Bonamassa" concert video's from different venues.

I hope to watch them soon to see if they're done well. Reviewers say they are, so I should be in for a real treat. I might even set up my projector for one or two but then I'll have to hear them through the RT3000Ps as the mains. But that CS1000P center should have Joe's guitar sounding awesome "front and center".
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 3,669
    I blew my first (Hold your comments until the end) SL3000 tweeter in my 2.3TL's in 1992 while listening to "Frankenstein". You can probably guess at which part. :p

I watched a Joe Bonamassa concert video of him performing ZZ Top's "Just Got Paid" and Zep's "Dazed and Confused" at The Royal Albert Hall, on YOUTUBE no less, and it sounded so good, it made me decide to upgrade/restore/modify the 2.3's!
  • Joe Bonnamassa at Royal Albert Hall is one of my go to cd's when someone new wants to hear my rig. His live stuff is very well recorded.
    Joe's R.A.H. performance will be my first disc in line then. B)
  • I’ve seen Joe 3 times and he signed all my cd’s. Very nice guy. First time he was maybe 18 and there were 40 people at the blues club. He came and sat with us for a few minutes. He sure has came a long way since.
    Main System

Marantz AV8802A PrePro
    Marantz MM7025 Amp rear surrounds
    McIntosh MC7205 Amp center, ceiling and mid surrounds
    McIntosh MC300 Amp front mains
    Oppo 203 Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS with VR3 monastery crossovers
    Polk FX1000 Mid surrounds
    Klipsch RP-440C Center channel
    Klipsch RP-15M Rear surrounds
    Bose 151 ceiling surrounds
    Polk PSW 650 sub
    5TB usb media storage disk
    Samsung 8500 curved screen 65" LED 4K

Office System
    Mcintosh MX132 processor
    Oppo 103D Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS 2
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    2TB usb media storage disk

Polk CS400i center channel -in storage
    So, since I swapped the tweeters on my SRS's, sadly I've only had about 15-20 hours of playtime on them.

The big rig gets played on the weekends, during the week I mainly use my nearfield rig. Yes, I swapped em out in October! And yes, I'm a sad sack! :smile:

Question for the esteemed CP community - How many hours should it take for them to fully break in? I've read anywhere from 100 - 250 hours. Please advise.
  • westmassguywestmassguy Posts: 6,217
    Mechanical break-in for the tweeter surrounds, and woofer surrounds and spiders for that matter, don't take as long as capacitors do. I had done some research a while back on surrounds when I was doing a lot of re-edging work. If I recall correctly, the vast majority of mechanical break-in occurs within the first few hours. There is a coil, so certainly some electrical break-in will occur as well.
    I'm getting old, so I could be wrong. Others with more familiarity can certainly chime in.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer
    Cables: Speaker: Furez 10/2 with GLS Locking Banana Plugs
    Interconnect: Furez 10/2 with SpeakONs
    ICs: Custom Furez by Douglas Connections
    Den:
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals Restored, Re-Built Equalizer with Elna Silmic IIs, Sonicaps, and Silver Mica Caps
    Carver CT-3 Pre, Carver C-500

dhsspeakerservice.com/
    Exclusive Distributor of Gimpod's Custom SDA Circuit Boards

"And keep her under 70, would you, huh? Betty likes a slow ride"
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,835
    Not sure about tweeters. I always assumed 40-50 hours like mid/bass drivers. I just play them and eventually they will sound the same every time you turn your system on ha!
    Living room

Mains: Paradigm 90P
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12, Pioneer SW-8Mk2
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved 4k

2 Channel Den

Mains: SDA2B Upgraded XOs and Binding Posts
    Pre: Denon PRA-1200
    Power: Adcom GFA-545
    TT: Pioneer PL510

Noggin Rockin'

Phillips L2
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

Closet of Dreams:

Polk RTA11TL
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7
    Yamaha AV-34

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 602
    Mine sounded great right out of the box. If you're not hearing much improvement you need to yank out those crossovers and send them to Dave
    Home System: see
    SDA 1C's - Full mod with the help by Dave...
    WireWorld Mini-Eclipse 7 speaker cables
    800 Va Dreadnought
    B&K Reference 50 Pre
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    Cambridge Audio DVD 99
    Sangean HD FM Tuner

Barn system:
    SDA SRS 2.3's Full mod done by myself
    Carver C-1 pre
    Carver M1.5t
    I'm thinking 40 hours for my first set.

My newest set were already broken in and sounded fantastic instantly. B)
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 12,056
    edited January 2
    Pffftt break in horse hooie :p :p :p :p

They were broke the moment "you" put them in ;) ;)
12346»