Turning normal speakers into SDA’s

123457»

Comments

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 11,479
    You would have mini SRS2. Wider front baffle would widen the stage more than likely. Everybody says the SRS2 has a huge soundstage.
  • TennManTennMan Posts: 1,001
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    You would have mini SRS2. Wider front baffle would widen the stage more than likely. Everybody says the SRS2 has a huge soundstage.

That's what I was hoping for. Anything taller than a 2B won't work in my room because the cabinet doors won't open. I think a mini SRS2 would be the ideal speaker for me.

r2l8fxg7wuj4.jpg
    SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat · Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • xschopxschop Posts: 875
    TennMan wrote: »
    I just read this entire thread. I really enjoyed it because I like to experiment.

A few years ago when I suggested converting my 10Bs to SDAs I got laughed at and I was told by several members here that it wouldn't work. After explaining why I thought it would work using parts from my CRS+, I believe it was F1 that agreed with me that it should work so I moved ahead with the project. The SDA-10Bs sounded great. Good SDA sound and more bass than my CRS+. I used them for about 2 years before finding a pair of 2Bs that that have slightly better bass than the SDA-10Bs. Someone called the SDA-10Bs mini 2Bs. I agree with that.

If I were a cabinet maker I would make a pair of wide 2Bs that would have the same driver spacing as the CRS+ while keeping the same cabinet volume as the 2Bs and see what the result would be. Since I don't have the woodworking tools it will probably never happen.

Hi Tenn, good to hear from you. If I run across another rough set of monitor 10's, I'll experiment with another set of CRS+ crossovers and put the drivers in CRS arrangement on the back side while plugging the front mw/tweet holes.
  • TennManTennMan Posts: 1,001
    Interesting. Hope you find some 10's to experiment with. Keep us posted.
    SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat · Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
123457»