Surge Protector

cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 13,121
Hi guys,

I want to get a new surge protector for my bedroom equipment, TV, Cable box, Polk Isonic. to replace my ancient RadioShack protector.

Here are the requirements.
6 outlets, All metal including the bottom construction, 4-6ft chord, lighted on/off and protected switch. Must not cost an arm and leg, up to $50.00.

If purchasable on Amazon that would be great, but I can be flexible there.

I will await your knowlegible answers.
Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Comments

• mantismantis Posts: 15,118
    Most of the sub $100 surge protectors that are worth anything are all plastic construction. Not to mention they are more of surge strips then protectors.
    Not really your metal spec but it does offer surge, you can plug it directly into the wall to keep it off the floor and not take up any component space. I use one in my bedroom and it suits my needs. The price is close as well. Check it out.
    https://www.tripplite.com/protect-it-surge-protector-6-swivel-outlets-direct-plug-in-1200-joules-coax-tel-modem-protection~HTSWIVEL6
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Airplay355Airplay355 Posts: 4,273
    https://www.furmanpower.com/product/15a-standard-power-conditioner-M-8X2

Can be had on amazon for $51. Works well for me. I stuck it on top of my crown amp and zip ties them together since the power strip isn’t very deep. It didn’t seem to filter out any noise or anything magical but it’s easy to turn on and off and has plenty of space in he back for outlets.
  • decaldecal Posts: 3,096
    Cfrizz, if you can double your budget there's a really good one for sale over on Audio Circle.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=159465.msg1702844;topicseen#new
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 13,121
    edited August 2018
    mantis wrote: »
    Most of the sub $100 surge protectors that are worth anything are all plastic construction. Not to mention they are more of surge strips then protectors.
    Not really your metal spec but it does offer surge, you can plug it directly into the wall to keep it off the floor and not take up any component space. I use one in my bedroom and it suits my needs. The price is close as well. Check it out.
    https://www.tripplite.com/protect-it-surge-protector-6-swivel-outlets-direct-plug-in-1200-joules-coax-tel-modem-protection~HTSWIVEL6

Dan, what's up with the post in the back? It looks like it is longer than the plug itself, which I would think would prevent if from going fully into the plug. Could you post a pic of yours please?
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 2,051
    That post fits into the ground of the upper outlet of the receptacle to add stability.
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 3,669
    edited August 2018
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Dan, what's up with the post in the back? It looks like it is longer than the plug itself, which I would think would prevent if from going fully into the plug. Could you post a pic of yours please?

Based on its position, I would guess that the post is designed to slip into the ground hole on the "upper" part of a duplex receptacle while the other 3 prongs (hot, neutral, ground) plug into the "lower" part of the receptacle. ("upper" and "lower" depends on how the receptacle is oriented in the wall box.)

The conductors are circled. The hole for the post = arrow.

kgppsjpgn3n3.jpg

• DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 2,051
    ^^ Stupid child safe receptacles. Hate them things!
    Oh I see, that is a good idea since I was wondering as well just how stable it would be once you start putting plugs in. It seems to get mostly good reviews.

I think I'll get one. Thank you to all of you.
  • mantismantis Posts: 15,118
    It's pretty cool, the outlets swivel so you can angle them just the way you want. I just noticed I also have one for my remote charging area. Mine is made by Wattbox but it's exactly the same thing.88g5k2wl2acu.jpg
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Its a Ups but does the same thing, I own it and it works great.
    http://www.minutemanups.com/products/enspire_lcd_standby_ups.php#page=page-1
    2 Channel:
    Jbl Lx44
    Optonica Sa 5105
    Blue Jean 12 gauge cable
    Audioquest evergreen 3.5mm to rca cable
    Technics Sl BD22 TT
    Randomness:
    Klh model 26's
    Peavey Pr15's
    Gls cables for peaveys
    Numark DM1175 Preamp mixer
    Random cables
    Bic f12
    Svs soundpath subwoofer cable
    Lafayette Lr-200a amplifier
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,374
    Its a Ups but does the same thing, I own it and it works great.
    http://www.minutemanups.com/products/enspire_lcd_standby_ups.php#page=page-1

Woah, if I’m reading that correctly it outputs 200 volts if you have that model!?!
    Jace, if that turns out to be the case, DONT USE THAT!
    Micah

Main system: Technics SL3200, Shure M97xE, Lafayette LR1100 for tuner, Hagerman Audio Labs Bugle 2 phono stage, NAD C352 integrated, Boston Acoustics VR 2, Boston PV500, generic ICs, and BJC Belden speaker cables.

Desktop: Dell Precision 690 running iTunes, Yamaha RX-v665, Monitor Audio R90s, Velodyne VA-907, generic ICs and speaker cables.
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
  • You can change the voltage, I have mine set to 120v. So don't worry, lol!
    2 Channel:
    Jbl Lx44
    Optonica Sa 5105
    Blue Jean 12 gauge cable
    Audioquest evergreen 3.5mm to rca cable
    Technics Sl BD22 TT
    Randomness:
    Klh model 26's
    Peavey Pr15's
    Gls cables for peaveys
    Numark DM1175 Preamp mixer
    Random cables
    Bic f12
    Svs soundpath subwoofer cable
    Lafayette Lr-200a amplifier
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,374
    You can change the voltage, I have mine set to 120v. So don't worry, lol!

Oh, that’s good. Lol.
    Micah

Main system: Technics SL3200, Shure M97xE, Lafayette LR1100 for tuner, Hagerman Audio Labs Bugle 2 phono stage, NAD C352 integrated, Boston Acoustics VR 2, Boston PV500, generic ICs, and BJC Belden speaker cables.

Desktop: Dell Precision 690 running iTunes, Yamaha RX-v665, Monitor Audio R90s, Velodyne VA-907, generic ICs and speaker cables.
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
    edited September 2018
    mantis wrote: »
    It's pretty cool, the outlets swivel so you can angle them just the way you want. I just noticed I also have one for my remote charging area. Mine is made by Wattbox but it's exactly the same thing.88g5k2wl2acu.jpg

I got one like this only it's by Tripplite. It is installed and working just fine.

Thank you all for your suggestions and help. This forum ROCKS! :)
  • halohalo Posts: 4,597
    edited September 2018
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I got one like this only it's by Tripplite. It is installed and working just fine.

Thank you all for your suggestions and help. This forum ROCKS! :)

Very happy to hear this Cathy :)

You ROCK! 405wpc! :p