California Audio Show - July 27-29th - Oakland, CA

I'm looking forward to attending my first audio show, coming up in late July:

https://caaudioshow.com/

It's July 27-29th at the Hilton Oakland Airport.

Anyone else planning on attending? @BlueFox? Or maybe @MrBuhl if you decide to drive up to drop off your amp at Pass? @Lightman1 maybe this was around the time you were potentially planning on visiting?

Looks to be a smaller show, but there's a decent list of companies:

https://caaudioshow.com/2018-list-of-companies/

Comments

• Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 734
    I may "day trip" this one as the LA show (Orange County) is conflicting with my son's graduation.
    After 5 years of those tuition bills, ain't no way I'm missing the finality of his walk down the aisle!
    Living Room (HT):Denon AVR X-3000 ; Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s ; Ascend Acoustics Duo Center ; LSiFX Surrounds ; Sub – Rhythmik F12SE

2 Channel Studio: Marantz PM8004 Integrated ; Marantz SA8004 ; Music Hall MMF 7.3TT w/Ortofon Bronze; Schiit Bifrost DAC ; Monitor 7 Series 2 with RDO 198s; Rythmik F12SE

Don't cry
    Don't raise your eye
    It's only teenage wasteland
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,775
    Sounds like a plan.....
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,524
    edited June 2018
    Bump for one month to go! Getting excited!

@nooshinjohn - Triangle Art is going to be there! I wonder if they will play a record I bring with?

Boardroom 3: TriangleArt / Angel City Audio

Angel City Audio Seraphim Prime speakers ($25,000/pair)
    TriangleArt Apollo moving-coil cartridge ($8,000)
    TriangleArt Maestro turntable ($7,500)
    TriangleArt Master Reference turntable system ($39,999)
    TriangleArt Osiris II tonearm ($6,800)
    TriangleArt Reference Tube Phono stage ($12,999)
    TriangleArt Reference Tube preamp ($18,999)
    TriangleArt Rhea Reference cable system
    TriangleArt TA-200M solid-state monoblocks ($45,000/pair)
  • rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 614
    Jaybeez wrote: »
    I may "day trip" this one as the LA show (Orange County) is conflicting with my son's graduation.
    After 5 years of those tuition bills, ain't no way I'm missing the finality of his walk down the aisle!

Hey John..Didn’t the LA/OC show get canceled?
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • Clipdat
    Bump. Just over two weeks away!

@BlueFox are you going to roll up for this?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,272
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Bump for one month to go! Getting excited!

@nooshinjohn - Triangle Art is going to be there! I wonder if they will play a record I bring with?

Boardroom 3: TriangleArt / Angel City Audio

Angel City Audio Seraphim Prime speakers ($25,000/pair)
    TriangleArt Apollo moving-coil cartridge ($8,000)
    TriangleArt Maestro turntable ($7,500)
    TriangleArt Master Reference turntable system ($39,999)
    TriangleArt Osiris II tonearm ($6,800)
    TriangleArt Reference Tube Phono stage ($12,999)
    TriangleArt Reference Tube preamp ($18,999)
    TriangleArt Rhea Reference cable system
    TriangleArt TA-200M solid-state monoblocks ($45,000/pair)

Only if you ask for a slip mat.

I disabled signatures.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    No. I'm not into audio that much.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    That's like an F1 driver saying he's not really into cars!
  • Clipdat
    This Friday!

Anyone got any audio show tips for me, so I don't make a fool of myself?
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,628
    Clipdat wrote: »
    This Friday!

Anyone got any audio show tips for me, so I don't make a fool of myself?

Don't take the brown acid.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119
    Look at the vendor list and make a priority list. Go back to them twice, unless impression sux

Go back and listen to any that impressed you the 1st time

Don't speak while people are listening

Take notes

Use apps like Sound hound/Shazam to capture new music that you may want to buy or like

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • txcoastal1
    I know you are a fan of Electronic music but pending on the show you may be limited to play your own.

A couple of artists that may pass in the audiophile realm pending atmosphere would be Massive Attack and Lindsey Stirling or as like
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• Clipdat
    I was planning on bringing this on vinyl to demo some systems with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4czS1ybv6a0

• txcoastal1
    Would recommend if you had it digital

• Clipdat
    edited July 2018
    Yeah, I have it on CD as well. Maybe I'll just bring both.

The vinyl is brand new never been played, so I figured it would be a good option.
  • Clipdat
    Yeah, I suppose that unless they see me remove the shrink wrap, they would just have to take my word that it's brand new and unplayed vinyl.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Have fun at the show :smile:
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Clipdat
    Thanks Victor. I'll try to take some photos of the rooms/setups and post them up.
  • Clipdat
    It's day one! I'm hoping to run over there for an hour or two a little bit later on my lunch break. Excited!
  • Clipdat
    Is there any etiquette for that? Like maybe just wait for the room to clear out a bit, so I'm not up there shooting a pic and blocking the music/speakers?
  • Clipdat
    Will I be asked to leave if I get drool or other bodily fluids on the equipment?
  • Clipdat
    This room gets it's own post, because it was the most awful sounding crap I heard. Ear pain level loud, piercing sharp harsh highs, just sounded SO terrible. And people were just sitting listening to it like it was good. Insane. I took this photo and immediately left, but I didn't even want to stay long enough to take a photo. You see the sacrifices I make for you guys?

afkbaydg7pzo.jpg

• Clipdat
    edited July 2018
    I didn't hit every room, and I only spent 5 mins or less in each room, but so far this room was the best I've heard:

a4in8rg33y97.jpg

So then I look and of course the speakers are $50k/pair. No wonder I liked them! ;)

1vbhdrzfgled.jpg

https://www.bernhagenporter.com/products

Model 10/12
    10" 2-way tower with built-in 650W powered 12" subwoofer
    95dB 1W/1M
    300W maximum power
    nominal impedance 8 Ohms
    bass extension below 30hz
  • Clipdat
    edited July 2018
    The gentlemen from Zu Audio was the most friendly, and their speakers sounded damn good. Probably the best stereo imaging I've ever heard.

The Napa Acoustic room was 2nd best sounding to me. Doesn't look like much but it sounded fantastic.

uv7uwmxb7x69.jpg

Super excited to go back the next two days and spend some more time in some of the rooms. I inquired with every room that had a TT, and they all welcomed me to bring in a record to play. Sweet!
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,482
    Thanks much for the pictures and comments. I was curious about your impressions of the Zu room. Have fun this weekend. I’m planning to make RMAF my first show.
  • Clipdat
    The gentlemen from Zu was SO nice! He had lots of crates of vinyl and invited us to dig through and see if there was anything we wanted to hear! Definitely will be spending more time there tomorrow! More pics to come as well of the rooms I didn't get to!
  • Clipdat
    0w3nyej7t2ey.jpg

This room was crazy because the sound did not seem to be coming from the speakers at all. I kept looking behind/around them because of the crazy sensation. It was just like the sound was floating/hanging in the air and originating out of nowhere. Absolutely wild.
  • Clipdat
    I spend under 5 min in the Triangle Art room, but the record they were playing had tons of pops/static. Definitely surprised by that, I would've been embarrassed if I was running the room, and would not have allowed that to be playing and representing the gear. Bizarre.
  • Clipdat
    edited July 2018
    Roger that.

I'm going to try to spend a full 8 hours at the show tomorrow. lol