Yard sale ad pictures that don't show much but tell a lot.

Tony M
Tony M Posts: 11,009
edited May 2018 in The Clubhouse
This is like the picture I saw in an ad for a moving sale years ago. I saw a corner of a LS model speaker. I couldn't make it out but I was first to get there and then bought a GREAT SET of LS90s.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try and be the first one here. I saw this picture and emailed them hoping for a response that they would be in the sale also. They replied: yes, they will be for sale. See you there.:-)

I won't get too much sleep tonight. See if you can tell. I was able to within a second of seeing the picture. I researched what I thought and yep, it's a set of them! Plus the sub is for sale..but I don't know what the sub is yet. I didn't want to email them again and bring undue attention to what they have if they don't know. Check this out!
y5p71id9h42p.png
kf7z9c56wwxs.jpg
Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Looks like a winner yard sale to me. Where is it? If I happen to be near by I will beat you there by a week :tongue:
  • Tony M
    edited May 2018
    I'll tell you tomorrow after I get home with them. That sub has me thinking it's a definitive.. But I don't know. Maybe it's a SVS.. :p

If not, this is one time I wish I owned an I-phone to use as a PC to relay the price and see if you wanted me to get them for you if I feel they're too much for me. But I have another church bazaar to attend to and then maybe breakfast with the wife and step-daughter before they head off to work the financing for the HUGE yearly local Relay For Life event being held at UNCW this year, before I get home.

The Greek Festival kicks off tomorrow too.

The Rims by the River Huge event was canceled due to rain forcast. So that brings traffic down quite a bit..UNLESS people booked hotel rooms and will come down anyway. They resheldued the Rims event for June 2nd I think.

But with the Relay and the Festival...this town is going to be NUTS just a few blocks from my home! That's guaranteed too! Maybe some accidents in some peoples future. :# I hope not though.
  • mlistens03
    Don’t worry man, I probably wouldn’t want them anyway as I have no room (or so my parents say, I’m pretty sure there is room for speakers until there is only about 5 square feet of walking space, but they seem to think otherwise :wink: ) unless they are a SCREAMING deal... one more pair can’t hurt, right? :tongue:
  • Tony M
    edited May 2018
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Don’t worry man, I probably wouldn’t want them anyway as I have no room (or so my parents say, I’m pretty sure there is room for speakers until there is only about 5 square feet of walking space, but they seem to think otherwise :wink: ) unless they are a SCREAMING deal... one more pair can’t hurt, right? :tongue:

That's my motto. It should be my Signature! I AM about to run out of space and I am the parent in charge! But don't tell my wife I said that. :#:D

I'm going to shower and get some rest.
    I hope I have a busy day tomorrow loading speakers and subs. B)
  • mlistens03
    Tony M wrote: »

That's my motto. It should be my Signature! I AM about to run out of space and I am the parent in charge! But don't tell my wife I said that. :#:D

All my friends think that I am crazy for even having one pair of speakers, let alone 6 pairs (counting orphans and centers)! But they don’t understand. They don’t have the addicti- uh I mean hobby :wink:
    Just build a man cave kind of thing in your backyard, or if you live in an apartment then get some property out somewhere to build a man cave. I am gonna have an epic man cave someday, with every kind of high end exotic speaker and amplifier imaginable, I’m gonna have a pool table, 4K TV with a full LSi25 Dolby Atmos (yes I'm hanging 25s from the ceiling!), and a 2ch system with 707s, 705s, or 703s and a sub depending on the room.
  • mlistens03
    la2vegas wrote: »

All my friends think that I am crazy for even having one pair of speakers, let alone 6 pairs (counting orphans and centers)! But they don’t understand. They don’t have the addicti- uh I mean hobby :wink:
    Just build a man cave kind of thing in your backyard, or if you live in an apartment then get some property out somewhere to build a man cave. I am gonna have an epic man cave someday, with every kind of high end exotic speaker and amplifier imaginable, I’m gonna have a pool table, 4K TV with a full LSi25 Dolby Atmos (yes I'm hanging 25s from the ceiling!), and a 2ch system with 707s, 705s, or 703s and a sub depending on the room.

If you need to nab some lsi25's for that future man cave look no further than @daboyz, he is practically giving his away.

I’ve been trying to watch the thread, but I don’t know what his price is now because this stupid wifi network is blocking the 3rd page of his thread. I wish I could get them, but I really don’t have room, although if they are somehow magically still there in a year or two, they might come to my house :grin:
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Do you know what model the Tritons are?
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Tony M
    I didn't... But good eye!

I was just a bit late since I went down a wrong road. But I got there and the tritons were HUGE!

I was expecting the triton 7. the smallest one but it was the Triton ONES. The man passed away and the family and friends were selling his and her collections. Fantastic stuff too. The threat of rain and maybe some other church bazaars kept people away for quite a while.

The subs are Klipschs. Yes there are 2 of them. Copper cones. I think they were 12"ers. I thought only one would be there, but nope, two. I've heard good things about the copper coned ones! I still might call her back, The daughter I believe, and see if the subs are still there and ask for a discount...Since I bought the Tritons. :D Man are the Triton Ones HUGE! :D

They weren't cheap but I think I still got a heck-of-a-deal. ;) Being they're only a couple of years old.

They JUST fit into the back seat with 1 inch to spare ..maybe.
    rzmw0twdimlf.jpg
    3j4e97cj8dw9.jpg
    :D And since I couldn't test them, :# , she gave me a 100% guarantee on them. ;)

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    I thought they looked like 7s in the pic as well but congrats on the ones!

I love my twos, and hopefully can move up in a couple years as the ones sound even better.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • mlistens03
    I didn't... But good eye!

I was just a bit late since I went down a wrong road. But I got there and the tritons were HUGE!

I was expecting the triton 7. the smallest one but it was the Triton ONES. The man passed away and the family and friends were selling his and her collections. Fantastic stuff too. The threat of rain and maybe some other church bazaars kept people away for quite a while.

The subs are Klipschs. Yes there are 2 of them. Copper cones. I think they were 12"ers. I thought only one would be there, but nope, two. I've heard good things about the copper coned ones! I still might call her back, The daughter I believe, and see if the subs are still there and ask for a discount...Since I bought the Tritons. :D Man are the Triton Ones HUGE! :D

They weren't cheap but I think I still got a heck-of-a-deal. ;) Being they're only a couple of years old.

rzmw0twdimlf.jpg
    3j4e97cj8dw9.jpg
    :D And since I couldn't test them, :# , she gave me a 100% guarantee on them. ;)

Pretty speakers, is that them in the listening position? You really should move them if you want good soundstage... :tongue:
    Nice deal I’d grab those Klipsch subs, my friend had one a LOOONG time ago and it was epic. We would play it loud and then go downstairs and get yelled at, then pick up cups and stuff off the floor. Same thing with my Velodyne to actually.
  • Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    Nice score!!! Enjoy those speakers. Go back for the subs!
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Congrats on that find and pretty impressive getting them in he back of that Corolla. Would love to know what you think of the sound.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited May 2018
    Go buy those two subs. They will help with filling in any nulls you may have due to the Tritons location.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    edited May 2018

rzmw0twdimlf.jpg
    3j4e97cj8dw9.jpg

This photo is like some of the girls i've seen at the mall in stretch pants!

2 lbs of bologna in a 1 lb Bag :o:o:o:o:o
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • Tony M
    edited May 2018
    Yea, we both didn't think there was any way they would fit into my 95 Camry. So we used my umbrella as a measuring stick and compared it to the hieght of the Tritons and sure enough. 1 inch to spare, so we took a chance and took one out with a dolly around to my car. You can see the results. Now to get them out and undo that sock if I can from the top and look for any damaged speakers.

My wife got a pair of Technics SB7070 into her 99 Camry + the huge grills. It was a Miracle I tell ya, a TRUE MIRACLE! These speakers have 14" woofers too. god I wish I still had these too. They sounded GREAT!
    Check these out..
    5j3cc2ltc1bb.png
    khdasgbu0bho.png

and put into the back seat of this..
    6e4vrd6vnfs0.png

• Tony M
    She wants 150 for each 12" sub. They sell for 325 now with free shipping.

I have 2 =12" klipsch subs already.

I called her up but a guy told her to up the price but they would still hold to me the 150 each price If I still want them.

I'm torn between wanting them and not needing them now that I have the Tritons.

I don't know... The price would be a "Buy one get one deal" and then an extra 50.00 saving discount on top of that. :p:#:p:#
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    4 subs is better than 2........... 150 a pop is still a good deal IMHO.

Perhaps you have another system that could use stereo subs.... or take the 4 you would have and put one in each corner and you should have the best coverage of bass one could ask for...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Tony M
    It's raining cats and dogs now... but I'm still debating... :)
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    What model Klipsch subs are they? I have owned quite a few, and yes - the “copper” aluminum cone is a good indicator of their better models.

In my experience, the RSW 10D (the “D” being the important letter) is THE BEST Klipsch sub I have found. I own 2, and I will RUN for any that pop up locally.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• mlistens03
    It's raining cats and dogs now... but I'm still debating... :)

It’s pouring here too... not a good day for garage sales :disappointed:
    Flea markets and goodwill are still open though!
    I would take them, $150 a pop seems like a great deal on a great sub.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Nice score Tony! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    Thanks guys!

God smiled down on me IF these giants work. But with the guarantee, I hope I made the right move.
    Legender wrote: »
    Congrats on that find and pretty impressive getting them in he back of that Corolla. Would love to know what you think of the sound.

I'm going to try and hook them up tonight, and also pull the sock down and check for torn passive bass surrounds. The front speakers are protected by metal. I don't think the passives are.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    So, we all wanna know whatcha paid for them???
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Tony M
    F1nut wrote: »
    Dude, you've got to take moving blankets or something for padding when picking up gear.

I usually do. 99% of the time. In fact, I keep a big soft thick blanket in the trunk all the time. But I used it for something ( I can't believe I can't remember what it was right now)and it's now been up on a rack outside the cottage for the nextdoor cat to sleep on for the past week or two.

I was expecting the Triton 7's and I thought: NO PROBLEM. But I was shocked when I turned the corner in the house. The tops are up to my chin.

I also have my F-150 for big hauls( like this would've been) but the rain threat was upon me BAD when I left the house. It was a serious storm just 5 or 10 miles toward the river. I was going parallel to the river so all was good for an hour or two thank God.

I found a FREE hard top tonneau truck bed cover on Craigslist a couple of weeks ago for my truck. It didn't come with clamps ( My C-clamps might work) or some corner frame connectors. The front of this top has the hinge there and the hinge part is supposed to attach to the clamped down side frames. A nice heavey duty L-Bracket will do! I just haven't got them yet. I was thinking of taking it to Leaonard Truck Caps and accessories and see what they would charge to attach some other brand to my truck bed.

If it was attached already, and sealed, It would've been perfect for these speakers. On the blanket and maybe a blanket from the sale too of course. :)

They're in my cottage now and I saw where they had the power dial for the subs up to max. They didn't have either powercord for the speakers so I'm guessing they tried to get more bass out of them.

I turned the power dial on the speakers to a little behind noon and hooked them up to a single Adcom GFA-555II.

Man do they sound GREAT! I don't have them nearly in a ideal placement yet but this was to see if all the drivers worked. They do and they do well. :D

I had my Polk LS90's playing from the radio. They sound AMAZING too! So I tuned the Adcom tuner to the same station and slowly turned up the dial. I heard the Tritons get a little louder than the LS-90's so I turned the Tritons down, then turned the LS-90's down.

I then turned the Tritons back up and yep, they sound big and powerful in the bass for sure. I would dial the bass back but this was a test. No need to turn the dial up, that's for sure. I'll bet they never had these pluged in! I don't think there's any way a bass head could stand the bass output these are capable of. And it's tight too.

Now they are supposed to be 93db. sensitivity... I don't know about that.. But who am I to judge specs.

I could turn the dial up to 12 on the pre-amp and didn't go past it. Maybe these need more current.

Sorry for the rant.

I'll try to get pics. of the cones and speakers and side passives tonight.

• starkiller
    starkiller Posts: 2,723
    Very nice!! Not much going around my neck of the woods any more :( Would love for a deal on a pair of Ohm Walsh's or heck, even some run of the mill Larsen's :)
    Computer room Hegeman 1 SpeakersM&K VX-80 subKenwood DP-7010Cambridge Audio CXC Transport Rega DACPrimaLuna Prologue Four AmpAric Audio Tube PreampGarage Jennings Research SquareCustom tube preampCrown XLS-1000Denon DCD-1500II Modded MSB Link DAC
  • Tony M
    edited May 2018
    Larsen's huh? NICE. I had a pair of Ohm Walsh 2's. They were AMAZING too! And they had a RARE wood veneer on them. Very exotic looking. And the bass, amazing for that little can on top to produce that much! I know the bass came out the bottom for the most part, but they're like DCM speakers. Great designs aren't they? ;):p

I'm glad I don't live near a huge city like Raliegh or Charlotte or SF CAL.. Man the deals that get posted on Craigslist is almost never-ending. :o
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I could turn the dial up to 12

Nah, man, these go up to 11!

https://youtu.be/KOO5S4vxi0o
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Tony M
    I meant 12 noon. :s
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Fantastic, Tony, congratulations on the opportunity B)

They don't smell like old people, do they?
    I disabled signatures.