Polk--I have problems with my mm6

13»

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by Thom

Didn't Bazooka try that? I haven't seen a Bazooka "NOS" bottle in any car but one of theirs... :D
    i was watching c/d tv today, one of the options for the Scion(honda...i think) was a bazooka bass tube, not the nos one...but it reminded me of this...lol
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2004
    I was watching "Pimp My Ride" on MTV the other day and they spent $30,000 making over a Ford Raner and youll never guess what they picked for subs with all that money.

Focal, CDT, Rainbow you say? Nope. With all that money they decided on two, not one but 2 Bazooka tubes!!!!!!!!!

I couldnt believe it. My wife thoght I was crazy cause I started laughing and then yelling at the TV!!! Sheesh! :rolleyes:
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    yeah, thats the one where i got my box idea from...lol
    -Cody
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited April 2004
    The good looks help the product get noticed when it's on the board next to other products. With all of the gaudy stuff that's out there I don't see a problem with our dB or MMC lines. In most cars the speakers are mounted behind stock grills and the carbon cones (black) don't draw attention to themselves. If we go through the trouble of designing a speaker from the ground up, why would we intentionally make it look boring? If I'm looking at two speakers that peform about the same and are at about the same price point I'm going to buy the better looking one.
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited April 2004
    Thom does have a point here...3 months ago, if I didn't already know a speaker sounded good, I'd have skipped it at the store to listen to a speaker that "looked" better. "A flat black speaker can't sound good. If it sounded that great, they'd have made it look nicer," I said to myself. Of course, now I can see the error of my ways.
    I think looks are very important. Otherwise, people who maybe haven't heard of polk would skip over them to other flashier brands and never get to experience PolkAudio! Just my $.02...
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    are you talking about looks with the upcoming(possibly) high-end line?
    if so, most of the people buying these with not be going for looks, but quality
    and these people usually want a different look
    sony Xplod-looking stuff just isnt for me
    look at USAmps, look at the Adire Brahma, look at Nakamichi head unit--are these ugly?
    HELL YEAH
    do people buy them because of their looks?
    obviously not
    do people buy them because of their awesome quality?
    yup...
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    are you talking about looks with the upcoming(possibly) high-end line?
    No, you're right. If they know to look at the high-end Polk line, then they already know of their great quality. I was talking about lower-end lines. Before I (kinda) knew what I was doing, I might have gotten the MM6's on their looks alone. I think they look awesome! I don't like the black grilles as much as the older grey/silver ones, but that's another story...

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    i agree, but i have to make the distinction between flashiness and elegance - audiobahn's flames are flashy, and i think they look retarded, but the mm6s are elegant - i really like the look of these.

yeah, people do buy stuff based on looks until you get way up there, myself included. then again, rainbow and focal do have a good looking product, so it's not like they're mutually-exclusive goals - why not make something that looks good and has sound to match?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    i think thats what the polk guys are trying to say...lol
    i want an ugly speaker damn it...i like flat back...lol
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    edited April 2004
    Neo - thanks for clarifying. That's more what I meant to say

Cody - ......hopeless.... you buy this really nice truck, put in an awesome system, then want ugly speakers...... :shakes head and mutters to self: :)

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • Thom
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    i think thats what the polk guys are trying to say...lol
    i want an ugly speaker damn it...i like flat back...lol
    -Cody

OK, we'll purposely make some ugly speakers so you and 5 other people buy them...

;)
  • Thom
    edited April 2004
    Or there's always Krylon.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by Thom
    OK, we'll purposely make some ugly speakers so you and 5 other people buy them...

;)
    woohoo!
    i feel special!
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited April 2004
    Why would you want to pay for a fancy looking speaker if it's going behind a grille, in a stock location, where no one can see it?

When you want to say it with love, say it with Krylon!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by Jstas
    Why would you want to pay for a fancy looking speaker if it's going behind a grille, in a stock location, where no one can see it?
    i don't know about you, but if i spent as much on a speaker as has been discussed, i'd want to show it off - no way i'd hide it behind some factory grille...

unless i'm too tired to detect some sort of sarcasm...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    hes not being sacrcastic
    showing off a fancy speaker is advertising your stuff for thieves...
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    i don't know about you, but if i spent as much on a speaker as has been discussed, i'd want to show it off - no way i'd hide it behind some factory grille...

unless i'm too tired to detect some sort of sarcasm...

I have "boring" speakers. They are dB's and they are al;l black. Nothing denoting any Polk Audio insignia at all. Just the way I like it. Nobody has any clue what they are but as soon as they hear it, they all ask who makes them. I am always dissappointed to say that you can't get them anymore.

All of my speakers are behind factory grilles except the sub. But that is behind the seat and covered with an aluminum grille from Kicker. (The Polk MOMO grille that was on there I put in my girlfriend's car after a package broke hers) I prefer to have it all that way too. It's sad but in today's world, if you are proud of what you have and want to keep it, you have to hide it. Besides, stealth installs are clean. I kept the stock appearance but upgraded my entire stereo.

It's all in personal opinion. I'm not a flashy guy, I really couldn't care less about appearances. Flashy gear doesn't do it for me. My truck is black and gray on the inside. Red/silver/yellow would clash horribly. It would make me feel like I'm driving a clown.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by Jstas
    My truck is black and gray on the inside.
    it might be black and gray, but its still a lightening:D
    agreed though, if you want to keep your stuff...you have to hide it...the only thing you can see from the outside looking into my truck is the DX tweeter on the passengers side and 2 silver things sticking out from under the back seat (grills)
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2004
    i also prefer flat black cones... there is nothing more "menacing" or "striking the fear into the hearts of men" than a simple basic black speaker with a little polk script logo on it, that, once ignited with power, goes "BBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM" and sounds oh so sensously beautiful.

basic black is not overrated.

anywho -- i'll just sum up my gut feeling on all of this -- i'm happy with where polk is at / is going currently... so pththtththth :P
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge