exalted512 Posts: 10,735
edited April 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
So I was driving today going on a "car audio field trip"
on a side note, i went to two shops
one was a really nice shop, had focal, diamond audio, other high quality stuff
brought my trusty collective soul cd with me
guy let me demo it in his ford truck
he had em in q-logic kick panels
sound stage was a little low, so i can effectively say that my kick panel idea is a no go
he had some focal comps. though, he said they were 1100, dont remember what they were exactly, but they sounded really good, def. better than my momos...
anyway
also went to a shop that sold USAmps
well
that shop was crap
it really was a POS
they dont carry them in stock anymore, they had no speakers there to demo
the customer space was limited to like 50 sq ft
really ****
asked them for a price on the USamps b/c they said they can still get them
went to the back room
5 minutes later they came back
"sorry, we dont know where the paper is"
so i left...not pleased at all
oo
and thanks to our friend neo for finding both these shops for me online:)
ANYWAY
back to my complaint against polk
well, while i was going on my little car audio field trip, my drivers side mid bass started cutting out, then stopped playing all together
WONDERFUL
kick the door a few times, hit the crossover a few times, wiggle the wires on the crossover a few times
nothing
get home
take it out
well
conclusion is something is wrong with the ground wire IN the speaker
you have the little screw connector where you put the speaker wire in
that becomes like a little spade
where the wire is connected to the little spade is loose or something
i barely touch it and it works
problem is im kind of scared to solder it
this is a mid woofer, not a sub, theres not a whole lot of room
im thinking about just electrical taping it and seeing what that does
egh
well ill decide tonite
i just wanted to vent, thanks for listening
and no its not under warranty
-Cody
Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
Post edited by exalted512 on

Comments

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    on 2nd thought, after further examination, i have no idea what i need to do
    the leads are all covered with some type of black sealant--i guess to prevent rust
    so im not sure if soldering would help
    anybody know?
    electrical tape...no, it wouldnt last...
    any suggestions?
    i called polk but they were already closed...
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2004
    I told you those Focals were sweet. In my humble opinion they are the best sounding speakers on the planet.

If they were $1100 then they were the Utopia series which is their top of the line. Hell their bargain basement model is $320! Im looking to get the sophomore offering (Polyglass series) for a mere $425.

Kick panels by themselves do pull the stage down a bit but you can correct by using tweeters strategically placed higher in the vehicle. The trick is that you not only have to attenuate them but you also should cross them over rather high like say 6500 Hz and up. Thats the reason I dont like em (other than taking up leg room) they are kind of a pain in the **** to get right and Im way too lazy to mess with anything thats a hassle.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    my next truck has the speakers set up with a 6.5" in the door along with the tweeter, about a foot from the bottom of the door
    figure ill cut out the tweeter hole and put a 4" and put the tweeter in the sail panel
    perfect:D
    still pissed about my damn mid
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2004
    That does suck. I have the Momo 6x9s and these things appear to be built like a tank. I wouldve thought they would hold up a little better.

Well I guess this is your excuse to go snag those CDTs youve been wanting! Darn the luck!! :D ..... oh sorry I meant :(
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    lol, nah, not yet, i dont have the money
    im not sure about CDT yet
    it might be diamond, focal, or dynaudio
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2004
    Shhh...listen you can hear them calling you...Focaaaaaaaal.....Focaaaaaaaaal

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    but 100 watts rms...
    thats focals down fall
    i need more power
    *insert Tim Allen grunt here*
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2004
    Thats the beauty of these things, they are effeceint as hell and wont take nearly as much juice as youd expect.

Also, dont sell em short. I gotta feeling they will handle a lot more. The dude that ran the shop in Texas I went to had Focals (not sure which series) and claimed to be running them off a PPI PCX1252 which is 125 rms of underrated power per channel and they ran fine.

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    yeah but im going to need a good 200 at least to match up with the 3000 watts coming from the subs
    hell yeah:D
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    well, after talking to vince a little i think im just going to solder over the black sealant stuff
    i dont have the gun at the house so im not going to do it tonite
    ill call polk as well tomorrow and see if thats what i should do
    egh this sucks
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    yeah but im going to need a good 200 at least to match up with the 3000 watts coming from the subs
    hell yeah:D
    -Cody
    just get a few of the utopia 3-way sets, it'll balance out. trutech tubes to power and you're set. excepting the second mortgage, that is.
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Shhh...listen you can hear them calling you...Focaaaaaaaal.....Focaaaaaaaaal
    lol :p
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    nah, i couldnt fit 2 sets of 3 ways in the front at the 2.5k price tag that goes with it
    cant go tube amps either
    im off road a lot of the time and id break something inside a tube amp fairly easily
    plus i dont want to go through the hassle of replacing the tubes
    USAmps all the way:D
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    booyah for solid-state! lucky you, you get to offroad. i've tried rallying in my car, it just doesn't work out. too much money to repaint after you're done :mad:. way way way too much... on the plus side, i'm in the process of building a dune buggy from scratch, so when im done i'll drive it to corpus and we'll race :p.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    lol
    we can race, but we both have to be carrying trailers full of rocks
    i love my 3/4 ton:D
    but itll only be for a while, next summer i will have my beloved Z71
    oo, and just to add something, the guy i was talking to that let me demo his truck...has never heard of adire
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    we'll compromise and do a hill climb

i suppose the year-long delay makes the continued installation in your current ride make sense. i had been confused about this earlier.

adire - yeah, most of the people i talked to on my CAFT (car audio field trip) hadn't hear of em either. huh.

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    yeah, im going to get a couple of 10" brahmas later this year and put a box together and put em under the back seat
    not going to swtich amps
    theres going to be about 7k put into my new truck (not counting cost of the truck) before i upgrade my amp to a USA-3000 for the subs
    3-ways come after that
    good thing is, by summer of 06 i should have pretty much finished what i want to do with the new truck
    its going to be one sweet **** truck
    cant wait
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    wow... next time i'm in texas (probably in 06, actually) i may have to make the jaunt out to hear it.

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    ill be MORE than glad to let you hear it
    im pretty stoked about it
    but still...all these plans and no truck...
    dont forget your ladder
    itll be on 35s:D
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    haha... you'd be able to run over me and never tell; maybe i'll wear a strobe neon outfit so you can't miss me.

still want to let me hear it? :p

hey, your plans are at least more concrete than my plans. mine are organized thus:
    1) i want subs
    2) i want more stuff

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    yeah, i have a list of stuff that fills up a piece of college-ruled notebook paper of upgrades totaling about 15k(guestimate)
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    are they cumulative (save and get 2 amazing subs, wait and save some more for 2 amazing components), or replacements (like first you get 2 way polks, then good subs, then 3 way cdts, then better amps, then 3 way utopias etc...)

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    well, i have the mm124s now, they will be sold to the highest bidder and ill get the brahmas, dont plan on upgrading subs after that
    at that time ill have the mm6 comps installed in the factory locations, since the newer chevy's come with tweeters, so no heavy modification
    and they will be directly replaced with whatever i decide to get, and will not be replaced again...until they die
    -Cody
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512

he had some focal comps. though, he said they were 1100, dont remember what they were exactly, but they sounded really good, def. better than my momos...

Focals: $1100
    MM6: $349.95

You can't compare apples to oranges.
    Call Kim in customer service as soon as possible. He should know how to help.
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by Josh
    Focals: $1100
    MM6: $349.95

You can't compare apples to oranges.
    i see it as more of a rose comparison. there's your basic red rose, a standard speaker from, say, pioneer. you've got your rarer apple rose, the mm6s. then there's the Admired Miranda, for example, that is very rare and much desired, like focal utopias. all roses, but different levels.

i don't believe that the intention was to put polk down in any way, they are a phenomenal product for the price. focal's just in a different league. not a bad thing, just an is thing.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2004
    I agree. I was just making the point that you can't do an A-B comparison between those speakers. They are just in different leagues. Just like you can't compare B&W's to a (insert cheap brand here) Home Theater in a Box (not that MM6's vs. Focal is that extreme of a difference-just an example). I really hope we can produce something at that price point. We just need to convince Mr. Klopfer that we will be able to make a profit off them. What would you guys like to see in a high-end component set from us?
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited April 2004
    I really hope we can produce something at that price point. We just need to convince Mr. Klopfer that we will be able to make a profit off them. What would you guys like to see in a high-end component set from us?
    Well, I don't think I'll ever be willing to throw down a thousand bucks for a pair of speakers, but I know what cody would say: "i need more power
    *insert Tim Allen grunt here*" :D
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    What would you guys like to see in a high-end component set from us?

i like the 6-3/4 mids of the mm6. maybe a 3-way set; a tweeter, a midrange, and a dedicated midbass (since this seems to be the most common mm6 complaint). for that setup, with an equivalent quality a little higher than mm6, i'd pay... oh, maybe 7-800 USD. i think an important part is to keep the powerhandling up. some of the recent discussion on the utopias has been centered around their low power ratings. clean is good. loud and clean is better :) ::Tim Allen grunt::. maybe offer a 2-way so non-customizers can get at it too.

something less radical - you could sell just parts of sets, like just one mm6 midrange, or one tweeter. for custom stuff.

and a monoblock that matches with the subs you sell a little better. or maybe 2.

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    egh, im sorry about comparing the 2
    i just assumed everyone knew that it wasnt a fair comparison
    but what i can say, i would RATHER have mm6s than utopias in all honesty
    why?
    im dropping 200+ watts on them crosed over at 55 Hz
    thats AWESOME
    im pretty sure i cannot do that with the focals
    i would love for polk to make a high end speaker!
    i would love to see the same size tweeter, a 4", and a 6.5" set
    that would be sweet
    a 200 watt RMS rating
    nice, adjustable crossovers
    id buy em
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2004
    Josh, in response to your post -- I don't know man... I mean, I'm no fan of 3 ways... if you guys could some how come up with a 2 way that was up in the league of an Alpine X, Focal Utopia, or the such and still keep it around say "$699" msrp, then that would be more appealing in my opinion.

I'll never spend 1k on a pair of fronts... I think i've gotten past that stage of my life... and most of us who really buy this stuff on a daily basis dont have THAT much to drop. but say it was 699 retai.. it'll probably go in the stores for $649, buy oneline for $599... or find on ebay for $399... which is very do-able.

I don't think you'll sell a shitload of them, and in fact my suggestion would be to hand make them mostly and sell them straight from the polk customer service center... then you could only make as many as you needed... besides.. anyone who's gonna buy that expensive of a set isn't gonna care if they have to wait 2 - 4 weeks for shipment. nobody "rush installs" that expensive of a piece.

at this point in my life i'm more happy with the kind of stuff i've had / have... the polk DX components i had were stellar... i beat the **** out of them for years and they finally gave out... no big deal... they still sounded "ok", but no where near new... after like 2 years of 180 - 220 wrms per channel... i coudln't believe they held up... i smoked a tweeter or two and one midbass.. but... eh.. no biggie.

i like the rich full sound of polk audio highs, which i have found is yet to be matched by anything else even remotely in its class... i think polk bridges the gap between "way high end" and "affordable high end" but still keeps the prices within my reach.. and i like that.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited April 2004
    What would I like to see in a high end speaker from Polk Audio? I'd like to see less flash and emphasis on looks and much more emphasis on getting a set of speakers to sound flat out incredible for the price. That's what Polk Audio does best.

I would like to see a set of speakers based off of the same great home audio components. Most of the stuff that Polk has now is but it's removed from it. It's not quite the same. Things like "casket baskets" and PVC dust caps to add rigidity to the cone like the original dB series had. The orginal dB series looked like beefed up drivers from an RT55. Give it more power handling. I'd like to see the 100 watt RMS speakers in the 5.25 inch range, not in a 6x9. I'd like to see more odd shaped speakers like 5x7/6x8, 4x6 or 6x9 to have components in plates, not oval speakers.

I don't want to say that I'd like to see something like a Focal Utopia or a set of Rainbow components because if I wanted that, I'd just buy it from them. I want Polk Audio to get thier creative juices flowing and build a speaker that is a Polk Audio X-line of speakers and see what Polk Audio considers totally kick-**** speakers. Show me what Polk Audio can do and then I will tell you what I would like to see.

As a reference, go find an old set of original dB's and build on that. They are spectacular speakers already and bettering them will give you the top-of-the-line speakers you are looking for.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!