Polk--I have problems with my mm6

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2004
    First let me just say that Ive always considered Polk Audio to be high end and that you cannot buy a finer speaker for under $400.

Now I would love for Polk to develop a Focal caliber speaker but with that I would really love to see Polk put together a SQ competition team like JBL did. The team of Biggs/Eldridge has put JBL back on the map and turned a so-so name brand into a force in the SQ scene.

Judging by the Polk Civic, the Polk installers are way more than capable of pulling this off and showing JBL a thing or two. Dont make another wild show car, instead a simple setup that isnt that flashy but rather has perfect accuracy and imaging along with extreme detail.

As far as the speaker goes, I would like to see something in the $400-500 range, any more than that and it will put it into the "yeah maybe if I win the lottery" category. You gotta make em attainable.

Power handling should be at least 100 rms but not too-too much. I dont want to have to buy a 200x2 amp just to power the things.

It definitely has to keep the same warm, rich, smooth sound Polk is known for. Its because of this warmth and smoothness in the highs that the Momo is the perfect speaker for metal listeners.

Severe detail is a must as well. The Momo is a great example, its the only speaker Ive owned that can reproduce the ghost notes on the snare by Neil Peart on Rush's "Animate"! Ive been listening to this CD for over 10 years and I never knew they were there until I had the Polks, and Ive had MB Quart Discus in there as well!

Team Polk! C'mon guys, if JBL can do it I know you can!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2004
    I agree with Jstas
    enough of this flashy momo stuff
    i know polk is trying to appeal to the kids
    awesome
    im all for polk making money
    but if youre going to make high end components, kids arent going to buy these
    you dont have to have the "flash factor"
    make 'em dull black
    hell, id RATHER have dull, plain looking speakers
    that way when i show it off, ppl will automatically write em off as crappy speakers
    but when they HEAR them, they will be all over them
    i promise you, they WILL remember them BETTER
    why?
    because theyre surprised
    think of it this way
    if you were a kid and you saw a really nice, sharp looking speaker, youll think those look cool, you can listen to them, then if they sound alright theyll think to themselves thats a pretty nice speaker, nothing spectacular because they EXPECT it to be good
    now if they look at a speaker that resembles the old DB line they wont think much of it
    but when they hear it and it sounds awesome, theres the surprise factor, and i guarantee you the surprise will stay with them, the expected wont
    understand what im getting at?
    PLUS, if they cant afford them, they might look towards the momos, which theyll think will sound like a great speaker(which they do) AND they have the flash people are looking for
    so it might increase the sales of your momos or db lines as well
    just a thought
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    on a side note, i called polk today, but since i failed to take the 1 hour time difference into consideration im going to have to call again tomorrow before 4:30...
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited April 2004
    yeah, i definately don't need flash either, personally i'm a big fan of the diamond audio hex component sets as far as looks go. the kevlar cones are aesthetically pleasing yet understated. good excersion on the woofer is always a plus... i derive great pleasure from simply watching the cone move with the music (call me crazy but i think it's cool as heck)

ALWAYS use a silk tweeter, aluminum is too harsh in my opinion, i greatly prefer the softer sound of the silk tweeter...

if polk would put something out in the 5-8 hundred dollar price range within the next few years that would compete with focal, diamond, dynaudio and the like, i'd gladly wait to upgrade till they were released.

just give us the heads up if they're getting put in the works so i don't go ahead and upgrade right before they get released :p
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    i want to see this year's offerings. maybe they could do a teaser, like last year. the sticky is still up, for some reason.

i concur with both the cone-in-action-fascination of mtxman, and his admiration for silk tweeters.

looks - i like both. i agree with cody's reasoning on the 'wow' factor of form vs. function, and i also like them to look good. not necessarily flashy, just clean and, dare i say, elegant (not the right word, but close enough)?

a sq car would be sweet too. as long as 'pimped-out' is not a synonym for the vehicle. i prefer subtlety.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2004
    Personally I really dig the look of the Momo line. I dont consider them flashy at all. To me flashy would be like Audiobahns with the flames or something. The Momos are very attractive but classy looking.

I agree with Neo on the "sleeper" car. Scott Buwalda is in last months Mobile Entertainment and he has a cool **** Altima. Its not flashy at all and has no fiberglass in the install. In fact the interior is the factory color! Seems to work as hes won more SQ competitions than you can say Grace over.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    well, whats the retail on a mm124
    399?
    i think the retail on the adire brahma is like 379
    id like to know why a smaller company can make a sub that handles 1600 watts and sounds better is $20 less?
    plus, the brahma can be put in a .7ft^3 box, can be ported and comes is DVC (2 2ohm VC)
    which means it can be wired exactly like the momo but at the same time gives you more wiring options
    the reason why i think its like this is because of 4 letters
    M-O-M-O
    the momo sign goes on the speaker->price goes up 150 bucks
    my best advice to polk it to drop momo as soon as they can
    who do you think polk is trying to appeal to with momo speakers?
    kids
    well, most kids havent heard of momo
    if you want to put a brand like that on a sub, but a NOS sign on it, thatll get kids to look at it
    and back to my original post
    called polk and talked to kim, ill be sodering soon
    -Cody
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited April 2004
    Cody:
    If you ship it to me, I'll rework that connector on your MM6. As long as it's not a problem in the coil I can easliy fix it. I do a lot of soldering and electronics so it wont scare me a bit. Save for putting NEW black stuff on it if you want, it wont cost me a dime. That'll save you some replacement money and give you some peace of mind. If it's still under warranty though, I'd send it to polk, then that'll renew your warranty and get you a new one.
    --Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited April 2004
    LMAO Cody you posted same time I did... NOS on a sub... yeah that would rack in all those little punkazzes who put 4-out corvette exhaust on their f*ing honda civics. Man that burns me.

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    399? i think the retail on the adire brahma is like 379

hmmm... yeah, that is kind of confusing...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2004
    id just like to say that not all kids have the sh*tbox honda civics, my car currently sucks, but id rather go with the nice big truck, and a nice clean looking and sounding system. when i clean up my wires, which will be when i have time off of work, maybe ill throw up some pics....
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    well--the majority
    most kids go to circuit city, throw down $400 and let CC install it for them and they go around saying "i have 2 12" subs on a 1200 watt sony xplod amp"
    in reality, the 1.2kwatt amp is a 200 x2
    -Cody
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited April 2004
    399?
    i think the retail on the adire brahma is like 379
    id like to know why a smaller company can make a sub that handles 1600 watts and sounds better is $20 less?[?B]

http://www.polkaudio.com/car/product.php?name=mm124
    Retail is $279.95 for the MM124. It was higher when introduced, but it came down quite a while ago. Doesn't Adire sell direct? That would explain how it's done. If we sold direct to consumers there's one less person involved (who's trying to make money), but we couldn't be as big as we are.

plus, the brahma can be put in a .7ft^3 box, can be ported and comes is DVC (2 2ohm VC)
    which means it can be wired exactly like the momo but at the same time gives you more wiring options

We've got DVC's coming out very soon, so we'll have 4 ohm and dual 4 ohm versions available. In order to run a Brahma in a .7 cu. ft. box you need a ton of power (we've got one here- nice woofer, but ugly). I ran one off about 400 watts and didn't gain much over the MM124 I had in my car. With more power I'm sure it would become more of a difference. Not everyone has 1000 watts or more to run a sub with.

the reason why i think its like this is because of 4 letters
    M-O-M-O
    the momo sign goes on the speaker->price goes up 150 bucks
    my best advice to polk it to drop momo as soon as they can
    who do you think polk is trying to appeal to with momo speakers?
    kids
    well, most kids havent heard of momo

Using Momo's name adds a bit to price, but it's a slight amount. How many other companies have a speaker like our MMC650- carbon fiber cones, cast baskets, good looking grill, and outboard 2- way crossovers for $199.95 full retail? I've seen them selling for $169.95. Without Momo this speaker should cost what? $100? Who else gives you that much product for such a small price? When the Momo line was coming together (and probably still today), Momo was the most recognizable brand name in the "tuner" market. Not a lot of kids own Momo products, but it's an easily recognizable and desirable brand.

if you want to put a brand like that on a sub, but a NOS sign on it, thatll get kids to look at it
    -Cody

Didn't Bazooka try that? I haven't seen a Bazooka "NOS" bottle in any car but one of theirs... :D
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by Thom
    http://www.polkaudio.com/car/product.php?name=mm124
    Retail is $279.95 for the MM124. It was higher when introduced, but it came down quite a while ago. Doesn't Adire sell direct? That would explain how it's done. If we sold direct to consumers there's one less person involved (who's trying to make money), but we couldn't be as big as we are.
    ok i retract my statement...thats a MUCH better price
    and in all fairness sounddomain has them in enclosures for $180
    but this is what it shouldve been like 3 years ago when the momos came out
    im not sure if adire sells them from their website or not
    i know theres a website... www.soundfoundations.com or something like that that sells the 10" adire sub for $330
    theyre authorized dealers
    when i got mm120s from crutchfield they were $280 a piece plus $50 worth of polk computer speakers
    i ordered 2 seperate so i could get 2 different sets of computer speakers:D
    We've got DVC's coming out very soon, so we'll have 4 ohm and dual 4 ohm versions available. In order to run a Brahma in a .7 cu. ft. box you need a ton of power (we've got one here- nice woofer, but ugly). I ran one off about 400 watts and didn't gain much over the MM124 I had in my car. With more power I'm sure it would become more of a difference. Not everyone has 1000 watts or more to run a sub with.
    good!!!! polk needs a little more variety in their subs
    yeah, i know in order to run it in .7ft you do need more power, but you can do it and itll still sound good off of 500 watts
    im going to get 2 of their 10s and 3000 watts of USAmps power and throw those in a .7 box...its going to be sweeeeet...that or painfully loud...or both
    what do you think about the xbl^2 motor technology?
    Using Momo's name adds a bit to price, but it's a slight amount. How many other companies have a speaker like our MMC650- carbon fiber cones, cast baskets, good looking grill, and outboard 2- way crossovers for $199.95 full retail? I've seen them selling for $169.95. Without Momo this speaker should cost what? $100? Who else gives you that much product for such a small price? When the Momo line was coming together (and probably still today), Momo was the most recognizable brand name in the "tuner" market. Not a lot of kids own Momo products, but it's an easily recognizable and desirable brand.
    does carbon fiber help sound quality?
    im guessing it makes the cones more rigid and helps efficiency since its light and strong...that right?
    i think 170 is about retail price for the mmc650...or what i think it should be...so 200 isnt that far off...but if you took the momo name off it could be cheaper...and i know momo is an awesome brand...but what im saying is that kids that have tuner wannabes that think they know what theyre doing havent heard of momo...thats all im saying...

Didn't Bazooka try that? I haven't seen a Bazooka "NOS" bottle in any car but one of theirs... :D
    yeah, they have a amped sub inside a "NOS" bottle...lol...it always gives me a good laugh when i look through crutchfield and see those...
    im not trying to diss polk in anyway...if i came across like i was...im not
    polk is the best speaker in its price range...it wasnt when the momos FIRST came out, but now, i can really say they are
    im a big fan of the new DB series
    i recommend them to everyone i come across
    theyre much better than the type r's IMO that are like $50 more or something like that...much more clarity
    and although i will not be going with Polk in my next project, the only reason is i want something more high end than polk currently offers
    but im young and stupid and therefore unless i get unbelieveably rich this will probably be the last vehicle that has no polk speakers in it...
    oo, and one more question, does polk make their amps, or do you have a contract with someone else to make them for you?
    and thanks for the quick response, another reason why polk is great...
    -Cody
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited April 2004
    I'd love to see a higher end component line, too (and to not have Momo on that). I think Momo works best at a mid- level (for us) price point, if we go much higher we shouldn't use the Momo name since guys spending much more money on stereos don't care about Momo. The next line(s) is being talked about, but it takes a while to make a full line appear out of nowhere, plus we're not sure exactly what it'll be.

The amps are made overseas for us.
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited April 2004
    I would love to see a higher end line from polk...if they do that then i might even grab them instead of going with something else
    what do you think about the brahmas motor technology?
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    its fixed and back in the truck!!
    woohoo!!
    all it was was the little wire that connected to the little spade looking thing on the terminal
    soldered over that and now it works like a champ
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2004
    Cody- How the hell did you get so many posts?! you just changed your screen name like a week ago didnt ya? Yet your already at 400!!! Ive been on here since November and Im only up to 300! LOL ;)

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    cuz a lot of my homework is on the computer and i like to procrastinate...that and i have no life:(
    j/k
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Cody- How the hell did you get so many posts?! you just changed your screen name like a week ago didnt ya? Yet your already at 400!!! Ive been on here since November and Im only up to 300! LOL ;)

yeah, well.... some of us just have to stick our noses into everything, heck if it hadn't been for my little sabatical a while back i'd probably be at 1000 posts by now :p
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    its not quanity, its quality, of which i have none:cool:
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    edited April 2004
    ^
    I second that :p
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2004
    Jeez, I'm a moderator and I only have like 150. That's over 3 years!! I guess I'm not doing my job.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    yeah, maybe you should frequent more often to keep us in check:D
    back in like 2001 Kim used to post every day...
    slacker...
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    yeah, maybe you should frequent more often to keep us in check:D
    -Cody
    yeah, cause we're obviously totally out of line... :p

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    yeah, cause we're obviously totally out of line... :p
    i thought it wouldve been pretty sweet for josh, thom, or kim to get in on the delimma thread...
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    yeah, that would have went over well. seeing as how the polite polk people were treated so well. well, they were polite at the beginning, it rapidly degenerated from there.

• MacLeod
    edited April 2004
    Yeah, I thought that one ran a little long.

It would have been nice for one of the Polk Gurus to come on and set them little ED **** masters back to their car audio forum with their little bottoms blistered.

"Take that.......And pull your Gawdamned pants up!!!!!"

• Keske944
    Keske944 Posts: 134
    edited April 2004
    Hey Polk I would have to say this... I would also love to see a set of speakers in the $400-600 range that didn't look fancy but outpreforms the MM6's and such. If you get rid of the Fancy look it keeps poeple out of your car that want to steal it becuase it dosn't look "cool" enough to steal. All that I ask is a Crystal clear speaker in all frequency ranges. Give me that and I'll lay down the wallet and tell you to take your cut.
    Patience... patience...

Screw patience... Crank the volume and floor it you panzie.
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited April 2004
    Yes, I agree. Nothing Fancy... Just total Quality. I like my old db12's partly for that... Black cone, cap and surround, a few white letters, and performance.
    But they almost got stolen anyway keske :(
    -Jerry