Taking a listen to your past equipment

Options
Anyone ever take a listen to an old pair of speakers or component that you've upgraded from, but had in storage for a while? How did it sound?

I did this today with my old NAD C316BEE integrated. To be fair, this is the first time I've ever tried it plugged into my PS Audio Dectet conditioner. However, I was really impressed by what I heard. It didn't sound that much different than the Schiit Saga & Dayens Ampino Monoblocks that were hooked up and playing earlier in the day.

If I had to nitpick, I'd say that the sound was flatter and not quite as cohesive. Not as good of a 3d stereo image. The sound was more localized as if it was coming out of the individual speakers, as opposed to just coming from the general space in front of me. Things felt a little forced and not quite as effortless.

But again, that's nitpicking. If I had a strict budget, or didn't know what else was out there, the NAD would be a perfectly livable "daily driver" setup that sounds very nice. Either it punches above it's weight, the Dectet's conditioning was helping it, or...?

It kind of got me thinking about the things that we use to personally identify what sounds "good" to us. When it's crisp, coherent, detailed, and sharp - is that "good"? What about if it's musical, effortless, flowing, and lush? Is that someone else's definition of "good"?

Perhaps gear should be best evaluated not in terms of the clinical words used to describe the waveforms one is hearing, but rather how it makes you feel in general? Is it pleasing and fun? Is it emotional?

Anyway, just some things I was thinking about today when trying out my old integrated. I was originally going to sell it, but I decided instead that I'll always keep in my collection, just for nostalgia's sake if nothing else!

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    Upgrading sometimes isn't about better it's about being bored with what you got and just want something different.
    In the past I always wanted a pair of RT16's and never had them. I scored a pair of RT12's back in the day but they where not the same. One day when I find a beautiful pair of RT16's I'm gonna grab them and then build a nice vintage rig around them. Nothing crazy just a nice comfortable older system that fits the timeline of the RT16's.

I bring up some of my equipment and hook it up to play with it from my large stock in my basement.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    FMO, I switch gear in and out quite a bit as I enjoy changing things up.
    I find it quite amazing all the different sounds audio equipment makes.

Sometimes it's a bad pairing that yields a crappy sound, sometimes a good sound.

Sadly, I'm not smart enough for the clinical words to describe what these old ears of mine hear.

Just this weekend, I pulled out an old SX 780, put the old DM4's on it and had a blast listening to some old tunes. I did take a little grief from the wife as my foot was tapping to a song from the 50's.

I then shared the grief right back by putting my new Priest CD on for a bit.
    She just rolled her eyes :D

As long as I have some music going, I'm content.. B)
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    After probably 6 months, I hooked up my old Mission 770 Freedoms that I bought and then let someone borrow. And they blew me away! They weren’t as clear as my Polks or my infinities, but they were just fun. And that is why I am restoring them and giving them new life. I can’t wait to hear them with upgraded caps.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    In my case that's what the secondary rigs are for. Listening to the older gear that got upgraded sounds nice but there's a reason that gear isn't playing in the main rig anymore.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,688
    Options
    About a year ago, I busted-out my old 1983 JVC ghetto blaster and listened to my Zep bootleg cassette tapes.

Then I hooked up my 1972 8-track player to the auxiliary input and listened to The Scorpions "Taken By Force" and UFO "Obsession" 8-tracks I got at Zayre in Sarasota, Florida.

Before I knew it, The Stray Cats came on the radio and then The US Festival was live on my TV.

Cue Twilight Zone music. :#

ofxgddgjvqru.jpg
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    About a year ago, I busted-out my old 1983 JVC ghetto blaster and listened to my Zep bootleg cassette tapes.

Then I hooked up my 1972 8-track player to the auxiliary input and listened to The Scorpions "Taken By Force" and UFO "Obsession" 8-tracks I got at Zayre in Sarasota, Florida.

Before I knew it, The Stray Cats came on the radio and then The US Festival was live on my TV.

Cue Twilight Zone music. :#

ofxgddgjvqru.jpg

That one was the badazz one...had the five band EQ vs the 3 band.
  • Viking64
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    That one was the badazz one...had the five band EQ vs the 3 band.

Plus, it had METAL capability. It even came with a blank metal tape that was like 7 minutes per side. I recorded Krokus' song "Screaming in the Night" off of MTV onto that tape and I thought I was some kind of subversive, head-banging, anti-establishment, music pirate. :p
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Drew, I have some speakers, the PSB, that I haven't listened to in 10 years...and with a Denon HT receiver using a Pioneer Elite universal player. It's time to get them back out and give them an objective listen with much better equipment upstream.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,607
    Options
    Cool, have fun and let us know what you think. PSB speakers are quality!
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Drew, I have some speakers, the PSB, that I haven't listened to in 10 years...and with a Denon HT receiver using a Pioneer Elite universal player. It's time to get them back out and give them an objective listen with much better equipment upstream.

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Options
    I still own and periodically use my AMC CVY-2100 hybrid tube amp and CVT-1030 pre-amp with a set of 3.1TL's. I am still impressed by this amp/pre-amp combo. I played Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon and a number of other "eclipse" songs last August, and was thoroughly impressed by the audio the system produced. That's not to say the my BAT and 2.3TL's don't best that system. That said, if I was forced to, I could be happy with the AMC/3.1TL setup.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Stock pic, but this was part of my main rig before I stumbled upon this forum! Bought new in 1985. Has pre-outs, of which I had a Carver M1.0t connected. I may relegate this to the garage at some point. In the meantime, it's all boxed up in the basement!

khg7qcrmjwq9.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,607
    Options
    "Electronic Volume" AND a phono stage?! Classy!
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    I keep my 12g copper speaker wire on hand for rebalancing my brain purposes
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • verb
    Options
    This guy's a keeper too. Denon PMA-700V integrated. Got to Deoxit the controls, a bit scratchy, but works great! Stock pic.
    fcg21tl4tyrd.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    Stock pic's.
    *fixed
  • verb
    Options
    Dang! Got me again! Oh wait (scroll up), I was correct! Still got me! :smile:
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    youse guy's...

• Viking64
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    youse guy's...

youses guy'ses
  • verb
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I'm resisting going down memory lane and re-acquiring my very first rig:
    Pioneer TX-5500 tuner, with matching integrated amp. Bought while in high school, had this all the way through college.
    sq8gifbtz08t.png
    And yes, Pioneer HPM-40 speakers!
    a2mei6nau4jz.png
    Technics SL-1 Linear TT!
    2514r8coox3z.png

Stock pictures, @Viking64 ! :smile:

• Viking64
    Options
    COME AT ME, BRO!!!

skeimtkqo7qf.jpg

• verb
    Options
    COME AT ME, BRO!!!

skeimtkqo7qf.jpg

Why Jimmy, you missed my misspelling of Techniques! Getting slow! :smile:
  • Viking64
    Options
    Why Jimmy, you missed my misspelling of Techniques! Getting slow! :smile:

BAH! I deleted all of your other hogwash when I quoted you. :p
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    skeimtkqo7qf.jpg

SOOO CUTE
    I need one of those. This is what I’m stuck with:
    5a0kbut3fkef.jpg
  • Viking64
    Options
    All dogs are awesome!!! :)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    Options
    I like(?) to break out some RTi10s (I never got around to selling) from time to time just to freshen up my ear bleeds.
    Yeaht... still as torturous as ever for music. They don't last 20 minutes.

Verbal Kint - vintage is fun. I got sucked into that for a bit, myself. I'm not surprised you've arrived at that particular level on the fast elevator down your rabbit hole, given the level of junkidom to which you've been affected (and to which I can directly relate)
    I disabled signatures.
  • verb
    Options
    For sure! All I can say is that I'm enlightened! But back in the day, ignorance was bliss! :smile: And a lot less expensive! :smile:
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    Options
    Bathroom 2ch is next.
    Mark my words.
    (Adorama LSiM package)
    I disabled signatures.
  • verb
    Options
    Funny. I installed a bathroom exhaust fan with integrated BT speaker. Afterwards I found out that the power to the BT occurs only with the fan turned on! Can you say noise floor all the way up to the ceiling! :smile: Anyways the new owners got a big kick out of it!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited April 2018
    Options
    ...Can you say noise floor all the way up to the ceiling! :smile: ...

Nice turn of phrase.

:)

• verb
    Options
    Stock picture, but I'm sure I have this guy stored away somewhere! :smile:
    sm1dcnvub4aw.png