Nostalgia: Things You Had Growing Up

Options

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Still playing with cranes... Albiet much larger.

el04ddzgi6i0.jpg

I still have mine... Some of the rarer models in that series too.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,695
    Options
    We had a Fort Apache playset.

x0p1pgn3c3z9.png
    9qkbkv5070xc.jpg
  • Viking64
    Options
    And later I got the "Men of '76" Fort Liberty playset.

9u34mtlkkaqg.jpg
    skmqfbb0hhqg.jpg
    jgsbzyhpz0qj.jpg
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    It was pretty cool when they got M-16's
    fj88qh46xu9j.jpg
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    It was pretty cool when they got M-16's
    fj88qh46xu9j.jpg
    d8zeqrb6sdcm.png

Nice kit from Tamiya. Motorized. I built one and used with the above. Until of course a direct hit from a Tiger tank (simulated with an M80) blew it up! What fun! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Options
    I built a bunch of these balsa wood models! This one was my fave. A bit delicate, as they would always break. Maiden flight, crash, repair, repeat!
    l8mqt6yrtxeq.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,052
    Options
    ^^^ wow, nice work!

My efforts on Guillow balsa wood models never turned out that prettily.
  • verb
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    ^^^ wow, nice work!

My efforts on Guillow balsa wood models never turned out that prettily.

That was a recent build! The first, many years ago, was covered with tissue and what is now considered highly toxic, model airplane dope! I recall working on em in my bedroom, closed door, window, no ventilation. Wow and I survived! :smile:
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Explains a lot.
    verb wrote: »
    That was a recent build! The first, many years ago, was covered with tissue and what is now considered highly toxic, model airplane dope! I recall working on em in my bedroom, closed door, window, no ventilation. Wow and I survived! :smile:

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    Options
  • verb
    Options
    The Peanuts cartoons scenes with Snoopy doing battle are my faves! :smile:
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    I also built tanks and some of those tracks were bears to get hooked together.

I built models in a bedroom and I guess my windows were open because of my Moms' allergies and sensitivity to smells.

At least the glue wasn't in a bag like my brother suggested I try. He survived without incident with the glue bag huffings but that's a long story.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    Options
    Yep. Every generation has it's thing. Glue sniffers back then, Tide Pod swallowers today. Jeez!
  • verb
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Explains a lot.

Yep! Hold on. (uncontrollable muscle spasms, hallucinations, drooling) Ok I'm back! :smile:
  • Hermitism
    Options
    A few years ago it was the bath salt zombies.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I remember model airplane tissue dope well. Pretty sure there's still some in the basement.

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    I never built an airplane that needed that dope.

My brother might not have turned out so well if I did. :#
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    Options
    Yep I still have some too. In fact you can still buy dope at the local hobby shop. Although not as fast building or serviceable after a crash, I still love the look of the painted models that are tissue or fabric covered.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I grew up in the pre-plastic era. Most of our toys were crafted from what was available. Angus MacGyver could have hung with us.

Wahoo stick (our "fidget")

FVBYKVUGXL5P1YT.LARGE.jpg
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    I remember the Zebco 33 when they were a great reel. Pretty sure they have been junk since the 90’s though.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Options
    Hermitism wrote: »
    l8mqt6yrtxeq.png
    e6g2abbs4hys.jpg

Snoopy's gonna get flamed.....
  • Msabot1
    Options
    I remember the Zebco 33 when they were a great reel. Pretty sure they have been junk since the 90’s though.

Hey..I still have my Garcia Mitchell 300 that I bought when I was 9 or so...Remember saving money from my paper route for months to buy that reel..still in use too...
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I have my father's 302 (if memory serves) in the basement.
  • Viking64
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I have my father's 302 (if memory serves) in the basement.

Freakin noice, dude! (Vermont accent)

cvj63v44ei80.jpg

• dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I had this awesome rod and reel. :)
    45wmqxamxwl0.png
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • Hermitism
    Options
    Msabot1 wrote: »
    He'll just do a 360 degree vertical loop and get behind him! That's what Han Solo would do.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Someone stole this from mey8x7iiuo4759.jpg
  • Msabot1
    Options
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Msabot1 wrote: »
    He'll just do a 360 degree vertical loop and get behind him! That's what Han Solo would do.

Solo never had the likes of Von Richthofen on his six....LOL!..