SRS 2s in a 15' x 25' room with a 38wpc tube amp?

Options
2»

Comments

• nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Options
    The b/b is 3rd generation. It's 4 ohms out of the gate. With a lower DCR Sub-Bass Drive Inductor, even lower still.

I'm just wondering how capable my amp would be to drive these things. It does have 4 ohm speaker taps, but I just don't know if it's got the guts for the job. I don't want to replace the amp to suit the speakers I don't have yet. I want to find speakers that work with the gear I have. It's an integrated amp - replacing it would mean needing to do amp, pre, phono stage, headphone amp, cables, power... I love this amp. The room is a nice size, but it's not SO big that this amp can't be paired with speakers that will sound great in here. I just need to figure out what those speakers are....
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Something with a horn maybe? Or a DIY high sensitivity pair?
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    nspindel wrote: »
    The b/b is 3rd generation. It's 4 ohms out of the gate. With a lower DCR Sub-Bass Drive Inductor, even lower still.

I'm just wondering how capable my amp would be to drive these things. It does have 4 ohm speaker taps, but I just don't know if it's got the guts for the job. I don't want to replace the amp to suit the speakers I don't have yet. I want to find speakers that work with the gear I have. It's an integrated amp - replacing it would mean needing to do amp, pre, phono stage, headphone amp, cables, power... I love this amp. The room is a nice size, but it's not SO big that this amp can't be paired with speakers that will sound great in here. I just need to figure out what those speakers are....

Guys way smarter than me can advise on tubes Neil. Don't know diddley about those glowey things.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,639
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Can the pin blade XO be modded to pin blade spec and use the AI-1? Can these be TL’ed? Just because they’re here in my town doesn’t mean they’re the ones I want.

Ok are you trying to ask if B/b can be modded to P/b?

If so short answer NO!
    B/b use all mw6509

P/b use 2x6510 and 2x6511
    Yes can be pin/blade can be TL'd
    Inspiredsports i believe had a good thread on it. It has been a number of years ago.

Between my CRS+s and the spare parts I have, I have a pretty good start towards changing out the drivers to 6510 & 6511. If I had the drivers to do it, are the cabinets basically the same?

Most likely all new inductors as well. Cabinets should be the same.
    Awful lot of work Neil
  • nspindel
    Options
    If they're stock, other than the drivers I'd probably do it all anyway. Not for $700 for the cabinets, of course! I'm just thinking out loud, doubt I'm pulling the trigger on those.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    I have a pair of 2.3's with all mods done 2 hours south of Tampa.

And they sounded fine with my KT88's
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • nspindel
    Options
    Interesting. Would you mind if I popped by and showed you what the VPI 299D looks like?
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    No problem...
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • nspindel
    Options
    And this would be the reason why Club Polk is so awesome. I’ll get in touch and figure out a time when I can shoot down. Thanks!