Petition for support of Larry, David and Hermitism....

Options

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    I had a Co. THAT I TRULY LOVED give me three unpaid days off for punnishment for taking too long for lunch.

The next morn. the store manager called me and said we should part ways. I said to him I had already made that decision myself.

I didn't take 1000 lunchs easily and never got paid for them. I was getting paid very well so it was no big deal to me.

Well, I told my wife it was time to move on. The powers that be were finally coming after the hardest worker that Co. had for 7 years. I had a job within 12 hours the next day though, thank God.

The store Manager who had benefited from my HARD, hard work ethics ( and all the others of course too ) was FIRED about a year later too :D:D:D.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I think that some like to forget that this is Polk's forum. KenCustomerService posted this thread back in May of 2017, and he made it clear that what he posted is not up for debate. The rules are the rules.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/177647/respect/p1

You are missing the point Cathy, and that is nowhere in the rules does it say anything about how they can ban someone on a whim a year or even ten years after the fact. I am certain if the want to go about things this way there are many more banishments coming.

I wish the NFL had these kinds of rules. If they did, my Vikings would get a do over for 2009 and Bountygate...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2018
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »
    In the end, this is Polk’s sandbox. If we don’t approve, we can leave. Not much else to it I’m afraid.

I hope Larry doesn’t leave, he’s been a good member.

This is just a reminder, their forum their rules.

I agree, and, there is discussion ongoing about possibly starting a similar forum disassociated from a corporate entity that would be less restrictive. Until then we must abide by their decisions no matter how we feel about them.

Been there, done that, didn't last long. They probably bored themselves without having someone to get into a measuring contest with.

No one is forced to stay here if they don't want to. Quite a few have left and never returned, and some still pop their heads in from time to time, but Club Polk still goes on and will continue to do so no matter who decides to go. Nor is there any need for a dramatic attention getting exit, just go.

Life is too short for un-necessary drama.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    Since we're handing out yays, I gotta give one to Ken S. I don't think he's got a mean bone in his body. I have NO DOUBT he's doing his best given the circumstances. Just keep in mind that none of us know everything that has gone on behind the scenes.
    So, yay, yay, yay, and yay!
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,331
    edited January 2018
    Options
    gimpod wrote: »
    Off Topic:
    tonyb wrote: »
    Given the new corporate tax structure too,

Wow - WTH did THAT come from? Corporate “greed” is what built this great hobby we all enjoy. Can you imagine the speakers and amps we’d get if government were the sole source and producer of Audio gear? We’d be heralding the unveiling of the revolutionary 8-track tape right about now...

Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I hate your avatar, it gives me the creeps like that dude from The Office does. Mostly I think it's just the yellow shirt/big head thing, but I have to agree with your post.
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Since we're handing out yays, I gotta give one to Ken S. I don't think he's got a mean bone in his body. I have NO DOUBT he's doing his best given the circumstances. Just keep in mind that none of us know everything that has gone on behind the scenes.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    I hate your avatar, it gives me the creeps like that dude from The Office does. Mostly I think it's just the yellow shirt/big head thing, but I have to agree with your post.
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

Lol, I don't have a mustard yellow shirt like that, but if I did, I'd wear it a lot.
  • cfrizz
    Options
    I think that some like to forget that this is Polk's forum. KenCustomerService posted this thread back in May of 2017, and he made it clear that what he posted is not up for debate. The rules are the rules.

You are missing the point Cathy, and that is nowhere in the rules does it say anything about how they can ban someone on a whim a year or even ten years after the fact. I am certain if the want to go about things this way there are many more banishments coming.

I wish the NFL had these kinds of rules. If they did, my Vikings would get a do over for 2009 and Bountygate...

No you are missing the point. Polk OWNS this forum, they have the right to do whatever they want and enforce the rules however they want.

Everyone has the right to report offensive posts at any given time no matter how long or short ago it was. The offended person found one and chose to do so, and Polk chose to act on it which is their right to do so since they OWN this forum.

Polk does not need to have a statute of limitations on anything they do, nor do they need anyone's permission on this board. We are the guests of this forum at Polk's leisure.

The rules that they set are NOT draconian and are for the comfort, and well being of the entire forum so that all may enjoy it.

Anyone that feels that Polk is infringing upon their rights to do or say whatever they want on a board that Polk OWNS, they can and probably should leave.

If they choose to stay, then just act like a civilized, ADULT human being and they won't have a problem.

This isn't rocket science.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Ken, I just wanted to acknowledge your post here and say that I don't think you should be so hard on yourself with the "responsibility" in this. It's impossible to catch everything, and I think most people here think you do a good job dealing with us while providing a relatively comfortable balance. Especially since a lot of us have a bit of fun with with testing boundaries at times.

I think maybe Polk should send you to training, spending a few weeks hanging out in the seedy parts of town to dirty yourself up a bit. You know, really expose yourself to the dregs of humanity so that you can better recognize the more nuanced inappropriate jokes and stuff. Maybe even the Outdoor Sports dept. at a Walmart on a Saturday night or something.

Could go on, but it's all been said.

Proud to be Yay.
    But if anyone calls me Yay, I'll report them for it.
    Let me see if I can offer some clarification. I watch the forum daily, checking in at least three times a day, seven days a week. I usually find all of the questionable posts and simply delete them as lapses in good judgement can happen. I also try and help whoever has asked a question or has a problem I might be able to advise. In some cases I wait a day or so if it might be a situation that another member could participate. In this unfortunate case I completely missed the posts that happened near the middle of last year. Two of these posts happened in a very popular thread that has more than 34 pages and seemed to be completely harmless.

This person found two additional missed insults from two different members that further inflicted pain. I can't say how I missed these, only that they were, perhaps, more subtle in nature and I just didn't catch them. Granted, if I had been more observant and found them when they happened all of this wouldn't have happened.
    I disabled signatures.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    To remind everyone this is an internet forum and if you can't handle some textual abuse then grow a pair or go home and cry to your mama. Of course there needs to some boundaries. Remember the old golden rule.

"Sticks and stones may brake my bones but names will never hurt me."

A good rule to live by. Because of my disability I've had some really nasty things said behind my back and to my face that I care not to repeat, I chose not to be that hateful.

I must say this has been a very interesting post.
    • It first stared out with a wellspring of empathy
    • Then it turned into a justification of the oligarchy, or if i may autocracy...
    • A slight veer into the evils of Big Corporation... but back on track
    • And then an expression how someone might be easily offended...
    Wow!!! I must say, fairly new to this forum. I knew what I was getting into as a newbie, and prepared to take some chaff, but the benefits IMO greatly outweighed the occasional reminder of asking a dumb question or incorrectly punctuating my posts...
    @Viking64 recently gave me a gentle nudge - thank you!!!

My point is that if anyone is afraid to express themselves freely, always wondering if they are going to offend, can you imagine how dull this forum would be?

Yes their absolutely must be rules of decorum. I agree.

But any governing organization must be willing to listen to their constituents. They must do this, to grow and be flexible, otherwise they will die.

This is a place that IMO that is supposed to be edgy. Yes there are plenty of facts, advice, and experience.

There must be a bit of fun too!!!

That's why I hang at CP. Cause I'm learning, interacting, and having fun!!!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »
    In the end, this is Polk’s sandbox. If we don’t approve, we can leave. Not much else to it I’m afraid.

I hope Larry doesn’t leave, he’s been a good member.

This is just a reminder, their forum their rules.

I agree, and, there is discussion ongoing about possibly starting a similar forum disassociated from a corporate entity that would be less restrictive. Until then we must abide by their decisions no matter how we feel about them.

Been there, done that, didn't last long. They probably bored themselves without having someone to get into a measuring contest with.

No one is forced to stay here if they don't want to. Quite a few have left and never returned, and some still pop their heads in from time to time, but Club Polk still goes on and will continue to do so no matter who decides to go. Nor is there any need for a dramatic attention getting exit, just go.

Life is too short for un-necessary drama.

Are you referring to me? If so, I'm not sure I've earned such a response. I'm in no way trying to make a dramatic exit, entrance, or any other gateway. Vast majority here do behave in an adult, civilized manner, myself included. True, Polk can do whatever they choose, however, in a bizarre situation as this it seemed a bit ill timed and excessive. Seems like most are in agreement on that. It's also surprising with a couple of the members involved, especially considering their involvement and record on this forum. I think there is plenty of blame to go around.

Even if there was another forum I'm not sure I would leave this one, but, it would be nice to have a forum that wasn't as corporate conscious as this one. Just because it's been tried and didn't work out before doesn't mean it can't work out. Look at so many great inventions throughout history that finally succeeded after numerous tries. If you wish not to go to another forum then by all means don't, however, if there are others here (and it seems there are) that are willing to try, I will offer whatever help I can in facilitating.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,064
    Options

It's like high school (or college, or work, or whatever). Not everyone gets along all the time. You may not even like certain people and when you come in contact with them, because they rub you the wrong way, you say a few things. You MOVE ON. That's life. You can all me every name in the book, it honestly doesn't bother me. I'm comfortable in my own skin and don't let others define my value.

Sadly, you are the exception and not the rule.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options

No you are missing the point. Polk OWNS this forum, they have the right to do whatever they want and enforce the rules however they want.

Everyone has the right to report offensive posts at any given time no matter how long or short ago it was. The offended person found one and chose to do so, and Polk chose to act on it which is their right to do so since they OWN this forum.

Polk does not need to have a statute of limitations on anything they do, nor do they need anyone's permission on this board. We are the guests of this forum at Polk's leisure.

The rules that they set are NOT draconian and are for the comfort, and well being of the entire forum so that all may enjoy it.

Anyone that feels that Polk is infringing upon their rights to do or say whatever they want on a board that Polk OWNS, they can and probably should leave.

If they choose to stay, then just act like a civilized, ADULT human being and they won't have a problem.

This isn't rocket science.

Sorry, it is you missing the point again. Maybe try stepping out from behind your comfort zone for once in your life and feel what it's like to be your own person, with your own thoughts. Free yourself and know what it is to be alive.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    To remind everyone this is an internet forum and if you can't handle some textual abuse then grow a pair or go home and cry to your mama. Of course there needs to some boundaries. Remember the old golden rule.

"Sticks and stones may brake my bones but names will never hurt me."

A good rule to live by.

That must be the new golden rule. The Old Golden Rule has always been: “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”

Which is....as good as gold! Everyone can feel free to use it!

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,694
    Options
    teekay0007 wrote: »
    That must be the new golden rule. The Old Golden Rule has always been: “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”
    I was more disturbed by the use of the word "brake" in place of "break". :p

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    I'm fairly new to this forum, do not know Larry personally, but have quickly admired his craftsmanship and generous contributions to this forum.

Come on, I say "yay" and request immediate appeal to the circuit court of appeals...

I agree wholeheartedly, Larry's top shelf around here! There's not too many that contribute more to Club Polk, IMO. I got my awesome, customized SDA-1Cs from him at one suh-wheat price and he packed them up in bomb-proof fashion - asking nothing for the effort! - and jumped through several hoops to get them shipped (through gudnoyez) across the country, so they'd arrive in perfect shape. He also made custom driver/baffle rings for my other SDAs and has given me lots of good advice, both directly and through his threads or additions to other threads.

To Larry! - Dilly! Dilly!

To the others, David and Hermitism, I haven't had direct interaction with them. However, I have often found their posts to contain nuggets that were of value to me in my quest to find more audio, and general, knowledge here. Never have I thought any of the posts were out of line, harshly presented, offensive or in poor taste.

To David and Hermitism! - Dilly! Dilly!

• F1nut
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I don't know, I learned the sticks and stones rule when I was a child. That was a very, very long time ago, so it's old.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    Yep, you whipper snapper.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    GospelTruth wrote: »

It's like high school (or college, or work, or whatever). Not everyone gets along all the time. You may not even like certain people and when you come in contact with them, because they rub you the wrong way, you say a few things. You MOVE ON. That's life. You can all me every name in the book, it honestly doesn't bother me. I'm comfortable in my own skin and don't let others define my value.

THIS

Unfortunately today it seems too many have delicate little feelings because they've been coddled and never learned how to be a mature, self-confident adult.

President of Club Polk

• shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Unfortunately today it seems too many have delicate little feelings because they've been coddled and never learned how to be a mature, self-confident adult.

I don’t disagree here; seems like society has evolved to be offended way too easily these days. That being said, this is an Internet forum....not the locker room or rotary club. What is acceptable there, with people that you know and understand the sense of humor and intent, is not the same here. Plain and simple. We can argue point / counterpoint all we want. But @teekay0007 hit the nail on the head, if you live by the golden rule you generally don’t encounter these types of issues.

Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • cfrizz
    Options
    Here is the first paragraph of Polk's Terms and Conditions for being on this board/forum. It's all summed up right there.

Terms & Conditions

Terms and Conditions. All Rights Reserved.

No portion of the terms and conditions herein may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, except as authorized herein, without prior written permission from Polk Audio, LLC.

1. Acceptance of Terms through Use

By accessing this Website ("Site"), you agree to all terms, conditions, and notices contained or referenced in these "Terms of Use." If you do not agree to these Terms of Use, please do not use this Site. The content and other materials (collectively the "materials") available on this Site are proprietary to Polk ("Polk"), or its affiliates. Polk reserves the right to update and change these Terms of Use from time to time at our sole discretion. Please check the Terms of Use periodically for changes. Your continued use of this Site following the posting of any changes to the Terms of Use constitutes acceptance of those changes. In the case of any violation of these Terms of Use, Polk reserves the right to seek all remedies available in law and equity for such violations.

• woofiepaws
    Options
    Yay.
    MacBook Pro running Roon-Monoprice USB-Schiit Gungir Multibit-Audioquest Earth-Schiit Freya with Tung Sol 6SN7s-Audioquest Sky-Krell FPB 400cx-Audioquest Mont Blanc-1.2tls with all the mods.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Yay

And I agree with @tonyb, why don’t we have volunteer or paid moderators anymore? With all due respect, the two Kens obviously can’t keep, and every other forum I know of has moderators. Seems like pretty simple solution really...

Right ? I mean....no sense in making a mountain out of a molehill here. We aren't talking rocket science. It seems to me to be the cheapest, easiest solution to a pain in the rear of operating an online forum.

In my view, you either want to solve problems, or keep putting up with that problem day in and day out until the cows come home. I think we already established that these types of problems aren't going away and that's just due to the nature of online forums.

There has to be more of an urgency to delete unwanted posts, a more swift response, before it takes members down a wrong path. It only benefits all parties involved to do so.

Again, that's just me applying my problem solving skills. Polk may have different thoughts on it.

....and Gimpod,

We've known of each other for a long time now and I find your response a bit over the top. No need to drag this thread into the mud. We are in this thread to support fellow members, and hopefully solve ongoing problems. Thanks for the edit Ken, but I saw it already. ;)

"Just when I thought I was out....they drag me back in." :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    Options
    The key is self moderation. Mods aren't going to read every post on a busy site nor should they have too.

The site I moderate at has thousands of posts a day and 7 unpaid mods. We rely on the report feature somewhat but since the penalties are strict here I don't see that working really well. I know I would hate to report something trivial and have the member banned when that wasn't why I reported it.

Many times I will just send a PM to a member there after I hide or do any edits that are needed. If a member is a problem there are less strict warnings we use also. It's a point based system kinda like a drivers license.

I'm not sure how Ken would respond to friendly reports that are just meant to help keep the site clean.

One thing I can say is being a moderator can be thankless task.

I do it there because I enjoy the site and want to see it grow and stay civil. I feel the same way about this site too.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    TNTsTunes wrote: »
    The key is self moderation. Mods aren't going to read every post on a busy site nor should they have too.

The site I moderate at has thousands of posts a day and 7 unpaid mods. We rely on the report feature somewhat but since the penalties are strict here I don't see that working really well. I know I would hate to report something trivial and have the member banned when that wasn't why I reported it.

Many times I will just send a PM to a member there after I hide or do any edits that are needed. If a member is a problem there are less strict warnings we use also. It's a point based system kinda like a drivers license.

I'm not sure how Ken would respond to friendly reports that are just meant to help keep the site clean.

I do it there because I enjoy the site and want to see it grow and stay civil. I feel the same way about this site too.

All well and true, and the key here is in bold.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    Options
    The key to moderation is to have unbiased individuals who can objectively look at the membership. No favoritism, no preconceived notions and people who will enforce the rules consistently regardless of stature / contribution / longevity and do it across the board. Inherently, that’s a tough ask for a lot of us here....
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    An old guy told me a long time ago: "Think before you speak." A different old guy told me at one of my first jobs, "Wait a while before you send a response and think about it again before it goes out to make sure its really what you want to say and not just a quick emotional reaction to something that got under your skin." This advice applies to forums. It's also kinda akin to what TNTsTunes said, "self moderation." Discretion is the best part of valor.
  • TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    TNTsTunes wrote: »

All well and true, and the key here is in bold.

If I would compare that site activity this site would require one mod at most, well two since they need a day off from time to time.

There can be hundreds of members online at the site I moderate at during any point of the day. It's a totally different world there.

"Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

This discussion has been closed.