Thinking about going tubes

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    Any Joule model really. I'm using their first version, the LA-100. Then there are different iterations of the LA-150, MK1, MK2, MK3. Then an LA-300, which was their top dog.

With any piece of tube gear, the tubes you use play heavily on the sound you'll hear. Certain bad reviews on tube pieces take with a grain of salt as some simply don't roll tubes in them to see what that piece is capable of. You'll find many threads on here with tube gear owners, all seeking input on the best tubes to use for their piece. As always, preferences and gear matching with the right associated gear is also key, as is with anything SS or Tube.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Vac is another very good pre, VTL also, that 2.5 posted earlier is certainly one worth experiencing.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,172
    Great , thanks again for all the suggestions. I am in no rush for any of this, so plenty of time to research. Good news is a get a 10K bonus at work in June, so I may just wait until then and buy some nicer stuff
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    stangman67 wrote: »
    scubalab wrote: »
    Zach, did you see this?

https://cnj.craigslist.org/ele/d/rogue-audio-cronus-integrated/6461473490.html

A little dusty, but seems like a good price...

I did not see that. I texted the guy and hit him at 800, if I can get it for that I think it would be worth it either way, even if I did not like it in the long run
    I did speak to him. I offered 800 and he agreed but then told me he was very unsure of the operational state of the amp and I got a little weary. If it is still around this weekend, I may take a quick trip up there and take a look at it

I was looking at it too. You did good to get him down to $800 from his original $1200? (without even trying). But I don't like that it is untested either. He just got the amp from his dad with nothing else?

I did notice from the pictures that the tube V4 is burning a lot brighter than V3. What does that mean?

• stangman67
    Bias probably just needs to be adjusted, I hav e read that tube brightness doesn't necessarily mean much so that wasn't a worry. He said 800 would be fine right away. He seemed very unsure of the condition, so it turned me off a little but. I can't really put a value on it, I think 1k was a little much considering it is just the cronus and not the magnum. 800 might be a good deal if if is all operational

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • tonyb
    I'm gonna throw one more at ya. This one has done a demo run here at the Polk forum and was well received. Plus the guys who run the place are simply fantastic to deal with.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/tube-backert-labs-rhumba-1-1-tube-preamp-preamplifier-sale-2018-01-21-preamplifiers

Maybe a tad more than you wanted to spend on a pre, but it is a darn fine sounding one at that.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • stangman67
    Well Tony, I done did it

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,851
    Well Tony, I done did it

dang, i was going to show you this "steal"
    http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=155162.msg1660219#new
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    What'd you end up getting?
    Well Tony, I done did it

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Clipdat wrote: »
    What'd you end up getting?
    Well Tony, I done did it

I'll tell you what he got, he got lured in to the van, coaxed in by audio candy. Just relax and let it take its natural coarse.
  • stangman67
    Backert Rhumba 1.1. Blew all my money on the preamp so bought a used B&K ref st125.2 to hold me over for awhile. TEAC must go to recoup some of the moneys

• tonyb
    lol, just curious bro, what pushed you to make that decision ?

Tell ya what, the owners and guys who build them are easily accessible. You can talk directly to them, ask questions whatever. Just super nice guys over there.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • stangman67
    I read through the review threads on here and some of the other reviews available which had me intrigued.

What really made me choose it is they are an hour down the road from me so support will never be an issue and the preamp is made in the USA. I figure if I spend the same money on an integrated eventually I will want more and then the whole thing is useless. I see this piece being something I can be happy with for 20 years and I can just buy a better amp at some point when it is feasible/

• tonyb
    Cool, didn't realize they were that close to you. Now get your read on and see what tubes people are using in them. The stock ones weren't bad that came with them but I'm guessing some NOS TUBES might kick it up a notch or 2.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • stangman67
    I’m just gonna ask them when I go pick it up. I’m sure they have some good suggestions

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    There is many good 6BL7 tubes to choose from. I am not familiar the other tubes used.
  • stangman67
    They are 12au7

• tonyb
    I’m just gonna ask them when I go pick it up. I’m sure they have some good suggestions

Tell Andy he owes me a drink or 2....and I aim to collect. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    They are 12au7

I looked at this and commented.

http://www.dehavillandhifi.com/MERCURY_PRE.htm

This one uses the 6bl7 I got confused {red faced}
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    At this point I would like to recommence my occasional whine about how I chose the correct name (Rhumba) in the "name the preamp, win a free preamp" contest, and then lost the flip of a coin against another person who suggested the same name.
    :'(

Got some amazing tube-powered coffee mugs out of the deal, though...

g34bm0hzoymy.jpg

Enjoy that preamp! It went through my house on the traveling road show and was impressive.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    agfrost wrote: »
    At this point I would like to recommence my occasional whine about how I chose the correct name (Rhumba) in the "name the preamp, win a free preamp" contest, and then lost the flip of a coin against another person who suggested the same name.

g34bm0hzoymy.jpg

Enjoy that preamp! It went through my house on the traveling road show and was impressive.

I remember this. I felt/feel bad for you. You got shafted.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,030
    What's the budget for tubes? That will make or break a piece. Old stock tubes from the late 50's and early 60's is where it's at.

Let me know if I can be of any help, I might have some experience and knowledge in that area. :D

H9

Probably have some mice tubes you could get for a good price o:)
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • agfrost
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    agfrost wrote: »

g34bm0hzoymy.jpg

I remember this. I felt/feel bad for you. You got shafted.

They did nicely offer me a multi-hundred dollar discount if I decided to purchase one at that time. Rich (SCompRacer) had recently sold me the Krell KSL pre in my signature that he had painstakingly recapped & chased a small problem with the phono board on it. I couldn't say that the Rhumba was better than the Krell during the time I had both in the house (each pre excelled in certain areas), so I passed on buying the Rhumba... Still have that "if only" regret, though. It's nice having the phono built into the Krell, also.

Really looking forward to hearing Zach's impressions after taking the Rhumba for a dance...
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
  • tonyb
    I think he'll like it, moving away from the teac as a pre. It's got great pratt, that rhythm and pace...slam, that he's looking for. I always thought the Rhumba might benefit a little from some better tubes, but that was just my take on it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    would a product called Rumba tend to have syncopated PRaT?

Just musing, here...
  • agfrost
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Probably have some mice tubes you could get for a good price o:)

Artist's rendering:
    ccu8mra62fjt.jpg
    Jay
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    ... or maybe a Habitrail?
  • tonyb
    Gotta have a wheel for backup power supply....pay not attention to that squeaky wheel either. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • stangman67
    edited January 2018
    I think I’m gonna pick up a set of these rca tubes to start off with. Have heard they work well with the Backert and should fair well with the focal

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/preamp-tubes/products/rca-black-plate-5814wa-12au7-triple-mica