Thinking about going tubes

Comments

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited January 2018
    tonyb wrote: »
    Try a tubed Pre with the SS amp you have now. No need to buy 2 pieces off the bat.

I think you should have said, you need to buy 2 pieces that are BAT. (see above post). ;)
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,147
    Very happy with my Rogue Cronus Magnum II. If there is nothing wrong with the Cronus that is advertised on CL, that would be a smoking deal.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    stangman67 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    16187794927_269abfcf2c_b.jpgDSC_0132 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

This picture makes me want to go tubes all the more. The cool factor is just out of this world

Well, that was (of course) my intent; my work is done here :)

This being said - the amp and preamp shown would not be a good match for your loudspeakers. It's a single-ended 2A3 amplifier (3.5 watts per channel) with no negative feedback. :p
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    scubalab wrote: »
    Zach, did you see this?

https://cnj.craigslist.org/ele/d/rogue-audio-cronus-integrated/6461473490.html

A little dusty, but seems like a good price...

I did not see that. I texted the guy and hit him at 800, if I can get it for that I think it would be worth it either way, even if I did not like it in the long run

Looks like the seller dropped the price to $800 Zach. Hit him up again!

I used to have family in Wall, NJ. Though I wouldn't trust them to ship a brick, let alone a tube integrated, LOL!
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,172
    I did speak to him. I offered 800 and he agreed but then told me he was very unsure of the operational state of the amp and I got a little weary. If it is still around this weekend, I may take a quick trip up there and take a look at it
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    I did speak to him. I offered 800 and he agreed but then told me he was very unsure of the operational state of the amp and I got a little weary. If it is still around this weekend, I may take a quick trip up there and take a look at it

Keep in mind, it may need to be re-tubed. NOS tubes is where it's at brotha. ;) If you have a small set of bookies and some short extra speaker wire, bring 'em to test it out with.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2018
    I don't know much about this particular amplifier (the Rogue) but, by and large, the vacuum tube amplifiers are phenomenally simple devices -- easy to troubleshoot & repair (and very forgiving of things like power surges). As long as the transformers are all OK, there's not much to be afraid of in terms of buying an iffy amplifier.

Now, this isn't to say that any needed repairs will be inexpensive -- but they should be straightforward.

As to tubes, yes, there are many ills (some pretty serious) that can be caused by tired or bad tubes. This said, even modern production vacuum tubes are pretty robust little gizmos (despite anti-tube marketing used in the 1960s to sell the consumer the benefits of glorious transistor sound). The output tubes can certainly get tired -- especially if a given amp runs them "hard" (near, or past, their specified operating limits). And tired/bad output tubes can have a multitude of effects, from audible degradation to damage of other components. But they're also easy to change (if not necessarily cheap)!

The small signal tubes (phase splitters, preamp tubes, and voltage amp/driver tubes) - again, given prudent circuit design - can and should last for thousands (even 10s of thousands of hours).

Especially for small signal tubes, if an amplifier has, e.g., one weak channel, or noise in one channel, an easy & valuable troubleshooting tool is to simply swap tubes between channels, and see if the "trouble" follows a tube, :)

This approach can also work for power amp tubes, but in some amplifier circuits, rebiasing may be required. I don't know what bias scheme the Rogue amps use, sorry.

I hope this soliloquy is reassuring and not just incomprehensible ;)

Good luck!

EDIT: Oh, two things about testing "unknown" tube amplifiers.
    1) Always connect a load to the outputs -- either test speakers or dummy loads (8 ohm power resistors, ideally noninductive ones). Transformer-coupled amplifiers don't like open circuits, and output transformers tend to be expensive. :(

2) Be on the lookout for red plating output tubes. A number of pathological conditions can result in one (or more) output tubes dissipating way more power than they're meant to. In such a case, the tube's plate structure can get red hot. This is a sign of pretty severe trauma; don't operate an amplifier with a red plating tube (or tubes)!
    The problem could just be a tired tube that cannot hold bias, or a bad coupling capacitor, or issues with the bias supply circuit (or the bias level, if adjustable) -- but it's bad, bad, bad. :|

• mhardy6647
    It's a little hard to take a good photo of a red-plating tube; here's a pretty good one from a guitar amplifier (via Google) :)

ih7e29trbjmg.png

The EL34 on the left is red-plating pretty severely; it's push-pull pal on the right is also red-plating, though not as much.

This is an unhappy amplifier.
  • tonyb
    Geez Doc, the poor lad just wants to go look at a Rogue. :):p
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,342
    edited January 2018
    9qofls03bhyf.jpg

6h7x6krnjnzt.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mhardy6647
    tonyb wrote: »
    Geez Doc, the poor lad just wants to go look at a Rogue. :):p

Hey, I was trying to encourage him! :)

And I was gettin' caffeinated for the day...
  • mhardy6647
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    9qofls03bhyf.jpg

6h7x6krnjnzt.jpg

That's a lotta mica and rods and stuff -- looks like a ballistic missile grade toob to me.

:)

• mhardy6647
    edited January 2018
    a cheap Chinese generic brand 2A3
    9600350716_c905c0a509_b.jpgDSC_0002 by icouldbeahero, on Flickr

Decware Zen SE-84B (single-ended EL84 stereo amp)
    9835310886_91c5aa0e29_b.jpgDSC_9988 by icouldbeahero, on Flickr

The back office of a McIntosh MR-67 tuner
    16587281698_590b64bfc7_b.jpgDSC_0255 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The first two photos were taken by our son:
    http://icouldbeahero.blogspot.com
  • stangman67
    I'm getting real jealous over here. I'm going to listen to a few integrated amps over the weekend from Primaluna and LM. Kevin from upscale audio says the Focal and Primaluna combo is magical and he seems to be someone with a wealth of knowledge.

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • mhardy6647
    I'm getting real jealous over here.
    Mission accomplished.
    ;)
    I'm going to listen to a few integrated amps over the weekend from Primaluna and LM. Kevin from upscale audio says the Focal and Primaluna combo is magical and he seems to be someone with a wealth of knowledge.

Sounds good!
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    SUCKER!!! Down the hole he goes :)
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,630
    Where does it end? I am halfway done building my first headphone amp:

wk4u4y6qcq7r.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    direct coupled.
    sweet.

:|
  • mhardy6647
    BTW, I can vouch for the sonic performance of all three amps (OK, four, but two are identical) in the photos above. Two are the products of local gurus; the pair in the rack are Langevin theatre amplifiers.
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 899
    edited January 2018
    You can always check out your local Craig's List. Just saw this in San Antonio $500 with extra tubes.

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ele/d/yaqin-mc-13s-tube-amplifier/6450075562.html

988rtf0d8avl.jpg
  • stangman67
    Got my ears on a few amps today. I went down to Command Performance AV in the DC area. The guys there were awesome and they had a lot of cool stuff. I went because I saw they were a line magnetic dealer, but they didn't have anything in stock. They were also rogue and primaluna dealers which I was not expecting.

They had a set of Focal 926's setup in a room and I was able to listen to the Primaluna Prologue Premium which was initially one of the three integrated amps I was considering. I was initially very impressed, seemed like it matched perfectly with the Focals as I had heard (read: no brightness to speak of). I liked the tonal quality and the imaging/soundstage was impressive. I very much enjoyed the hour or so I listened to this combo. The big drawback and in the end the reason I will not be getting this amp is the lacking bass. I was obviously expecting this vice when I heard the focals with 300 watts on tap but it was a bigger difference than I was prepared for.

I then made the mistake of listening to the Primaluna Dialogue HP which has 80 watts per channel (and a 4500 price tag :o ). All the qualities of the prologue that I liked were still present with much more defined and ample bass. I only listened to a few songs as this amp is well outside of my price range and I didn't want to be tempted to do something stupid.

So with this I now know that a 30ish WPC tube amp probably won't be able to satisfy my listening tastes. So I am keeping my TEAC for the time being and will be mulling over Tube Pre/SS amp or maybe saving for something like the Dialogue HP. I really want to find a combo I will love for a long time. That may still be the Teac, just need to give it a chance with the Focals, or I may give Mike's SLP-03 a shot when he is ready to let it go

• mhardy6647
    If you really want to torture yourself, go to Deja Vu Audio in McLean, VA :)

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    If you really want to torture yourself, talk to Skip about the tube amps Matersound sells hehehehe.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • stangman67
    I've spoken to him about mastersound and I don't necessarily think they are a great option for me. I'd need to get my ears on them before hand

• mhardy6647
    I know nothing about your loudspeakers -- is biamplification an option?
  • stangman67
    Nope. Focal doesn’t believe in biamplification

• mhardy6647
    Nope. Focal doesn’t believe in biamplification

Too bad. Biamplification wouldn't be a bad way to get the best of both worlds if you're set on keeping the loudspeakers.

Heck, even I use soiled state amplification for the subwoofer.
  • tonyb
    Got my ears on a few amps today. I went down to Command Performance AV in the DC area. The guys there were awesome and they had a lot of cool stuff. I went because I saw they were a line magnetic dealer, but they didn't have anything in stock. They were also rogue and primaluna dealers which I was not expecting.

They had a set of Focal 926's setup in a room and I was able to listen to the Primaluna Prologue Premium which was initially one of the three integrated amps I was considering. I was initially very impressed, seemed like it matched perfectly with the Focals as I had heard (read: no brightness to speak of). I liked the tonal quality and the imaging/soundstage was impressive. I very much enjoyed the hour or so I listened to this combo. The big drawback and in the end the reason I will not be getting this amp is the lacking bass. I was obviously expecting this vice when I heard the focals with 300 watts on tap but it was a bigger difference than I was prepared for.

I then made the mistake of listening to the Primaluna Dialogue HP which has 80 watts per channel (and a 4500 price tag :o ). All the qualities of the prologue that I liked were still present with much more defined and ample bass. I only listened to a few songs as this amp is well outside of my price range and I didn't want to be tempted to do something stupid.

So with this I now know that a 30ish WPC tube amp probably won't be able to satisfy my listening tastes. So I am keeping my TEAC for the time being and will be mulling over Tube Pre/SS amp or maybe saving for something like the Dialogue HP. I really want to find a combo I will love for a long time. That may still be the Teac, just need to give it a chance with the Focals, or I may give Mike's SLP-03 a shot when he is ready to let it go

Said this early on....ss amp, tube pre. You get the bass slam of the SS muscle and the tone and air of the tubes. Makes for an enjoyable experience with any genre of music.

Look for a Joule would be my suggestion. Cary is nice also, depending on the model. My opinion though, is for the price Joule's go for on the used markets, you'd be hard pressed to do better. Down the line, add a Butler amp and I can't imagine anyone not liking that combination.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • stangman67
    I think that is the direction I'll be eventually going. I've heard very mixes reviews on the SP-03 but for a grand it seems to be a decent deal. Add something like a B&K reference amp for now or find a Mccormack and I'm in for the around the same price as the integrated I have. What Joule models should I be looking for? a quick perusal of Audiogon shows nothing out there at the moment.