I want to wrap my remotes

Cellophane seems too flimsy. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Trojan

Nothing like a conversation starter!

HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Bruce just turn them inside out that way you get two uses out of them :p
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Bruce just turn them inside out that way you get two uses out of them :p

That's exactly what I do before I send em out to be laundered. I am environmentally conscious and like to keep it green!
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    I just threw up in my mouth
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • txcoastal1
    They have a cure for that
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    I'm afraid to ask :blush:
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    edited June 2017
    Does that pickup line ever work for you, Ron? I only ever get smacked for it.

I keep thinking about bowling ball finger holes and years worth of built up pizza finger grease. Is this why you're wrapping your remotes, Bruce? Pizza finger grease? Or bowling ball hole grease?

Or is it other peoples' bowling ball hole pizza finger grease you're trying to avoid?

I really hate bowling ball hole pizza finger grease.
    Bowling ball hole nacho finger grease is bad too, though.
    The worst is either of those with finger licking in between.
    Almost seems like drinking out of one of the rental shoes would be better.

I wipe down my remotes periodically with diluted Simple Green and a blue shop towel. I clean my cell phone every day. Talk about gross devices.
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    I'm afraid to ask :blush:

He was the one stating "like to keep it green"

• afterburnt
    msg wrote: »
    Does that pickup line ever work for you, Ron? I only ever get smacked for it.

I keep thinking about bowling ball finger holes and years worth of built up pizza finger grease. Is this why you're wrapping your remotes, Bruce? Pizza finger grease? Or bowling ball hole grease?

Or is it other peoples' bowling ball hole pizza finger grease you're trying to avoid?

I really hate bowling ball hole pizza finger grease.
    Bowling ball hole nacho finger grease is bad too, though.
    The worst is either of those with finger licking in between.
    Almost seems like drinking out of one of the rental shoes would be better.

I wipe down my remotes periodically with diluted Simple Green and a blue shop towel. I clean my cell phone every day. Talk about gross devices.

Actually, it is very simple, my old lady has a tv remote that she left in the factory wrapper and I thought it was genius. Over the years some of my remotes have started to collect "pc mouse type shcmutz" so I figured tag em and bag em leave a good looking corpse?
  • msg
    After reading Bruce's intended use, I was thinking just this - a Ziploc method.

I don't really understand how remotes get so wrecked and soiled, generally speaking.
    Treat them carefully like you would the gear they control, and give them a wipe every other week or so?

(Watch, I'll break my universal within the week.)
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    My youngest spilled milk on one years ago. He wipe up the mess then never said a word about what he had done. About three days later omg what a foul smelling remote we had. Took about 2hrs to get it apart good enough to clean all the spoiled cottage cheese out of it.
    WOW!!!
  • msg
    Haha, okay you make a strong case for bagging.

It's a good idea, but personally, I like being able to use remotes without looking. Losing that tactile accuracy would ruin that, and annoy me.

Side note/slight derail (sorry Bruce) Remotes aren't that hard to clean once you get the hang of it, wouldn't you agree, Ivan? A mini Phillips, a stiff guitar pick to split the case, a little patience, and a soft toothbrush work pretty well. I've used this method to clean remotes I've received with some gear, and all of the URC MX remotes I bought on Ebay. A couple were pretty gnarly.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    edited June 2017
    I would not bag mine personally I do like to feel it best I can. I can run most of mine blind. Yep they can be cleaned with patients, I've had to crack quit a few to just clean the carbon pads with 91% alcohol after some years and nothing was ever spilled on them. I can see if you are not going to use them yes take out the batteries and bag just to keep dust or other crud off them.

By the way MSG I'm stealing that guitar pick trick....
  • msg
    if you are not going to use them yes take out the batteries and bag just to keep dust or other crud off them
    This is exactly what I do. Those cheap twist-tie bread/storage bags work great for this.
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    I can't see em let alone feel them. I have some old ones that are getting cruddy.
  • pitdogg2
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I can't see em let alone feel them. I have some old ones that are getting cruddy.

Put down the Cheetos Bruce
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Wouldn't be easier to just was your paws more often. I have remotes that are used everyday and years old that look like new.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • msg
    Or, put on a box of nitrile gloves in the morning, and shed them throughout the day as they get dirty. That's a lot easier than washing your hands.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    edited July 2017
    Whenever I purchase a new piece of A/V equipment I buy an extra remote for it and then seal the spare in polyethylene tubing. I usually don't seal the primary remote but could if I wanted to. If I only had one I might.

Here's what I use. I have several different widths and thicknesses of polyethylene tubing that I use to package the reproduction parts I manufacture in my little side busainess. I use it for other things too though. It comes in handy. For remotes I use 4 mil thick x 3" wide polyethylene tubing.

The tubing comes in rolls from U-line and then I use an induction sealer to seal the ends.

2ci8pxt.jpg

aaajyr.jpg

ety1de.jpg

2v9w4cm.jpg

5ow11t.jpg

azfaz9.jpg

The remote still works perfect once sealed. The seal is air tight and water-proof. After a few weeks I could replace the tubing with new to keep it looking nice.

This is what I would use if I was going to do this.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Well,,,

A good idea for protective wrapping there stubby.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    edited July 2017
    After wrapping mine last night I still have it wrapped. It works perfect as-if there is no wrap.

I've had some equipment in the past that had scummy-looking remotes with the lettering worn off the buttons and generally looked like crap. Some had soft drinks spilled on them with sticky gooey crunchy buttons. That's why I always buy a spare now but this wrapping is definitely a good way to protect one. You barely notice it. 4 mil polyethylene is pretty-tough too. About the same thickness as a Ziplock "Freezer" bag. Very difficult to rip apart with your bare hands.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    I just wash my hands a lot. Don't eat and handle remotes at the same time. Wipe down once in a great while, some over 10 years old and look like new.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    What is it with you kids an "remotes"? I get up...flip the channel.. find a program of interest and then sit back down.

And at times.. my coaster flinging marksmanship comes in handy....