Think I am done Upgrading (for now)

mrloren
mrloren Posts: 2,454
So in November I was wanting to upgrade my AVR to something better than my Sony Es. Thanks to this board I went to a Marantz SR5010. Nice upgrade.

While I was looking at the Marantz I noticed a lot of threads about the Signature speakers. D2lo was kind enough to let me have a nice tour and a good listen to the Signature S60. I wanted a set that day. With luck and an unreal Adorama sale I got me a set of Signatures.

I still had on my upgrade list an Oppo and new Sub.

A few weeks ago some forgotten about money came in after years of waiting. I was able to pickup a good used Oppo BDP-93. I had just enough for a HSU VTF3-MK5. If my wife see's this she will go buy another bag.

So my upgrades in the last 6 months have been

Sony 5700ES to a Marantz SR5010
Sony BDP-S580 to an Oppo BDP-93 Cinavia free :) with a Audioquest Cinnamon HDMI
Polk RTI8 to Signature S60
Polk CSi5 to Signature S30
HSU VTF2-Mk3 to HSU VTF3-MK5 just installed it today and it slams. Can't wait for it to wear in.
Replaced the GLS locking banana plugs on my 10AWG Furez cable with Audioquest silver BFA Plugs. This seemed to open my soundstage more
Replaced 3 of the other old green Audioquest HDMI cables with new Audioquest pearls
Bedroom RTi4 to Signature S20, these were part of the Adorama deal.
Traded the Sony 5700ES for another SR5010 to replace the Onkyo 626 in the bedroom.
Replaced most of my Costco Surge protectors with Panamax PM8AV

All in all I've spent enough money on my HT this year. My HT both upstairs and bedroom sound amazing now

Time to start saving.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

Comments

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Saving... for more gear....

If you think home theater is bad, just wait until you get the 2 channel disease.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mrloren
    Oh and I forgot,

I also upgraded the TV stand and made a new one from some nice Baltic Birch. Much better than that Lowe's junk Oak...
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mrloren
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Saving... for more gear....

If you think home theater is bad, just wait until you get the 2 channel disease.

might be something to save for, put it in the living room
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Famous last words and all..but it is nice to get to a point when you can just stop and enjoy what you have. Congrats on all the upgrades!
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    HA... I skimmed this thread and thought you said "starving".... and I thought to myself.... well he understands which is more important audio v eating........

but then I re-read it and saw it said "saving"...

I like my version better....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    You need a two channel tube pre with HT bypass and a two channel amplifier though.

I'm at that point where anything better is going to be a LOT of saving for me.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mrloren
    sgmsmg wrote: »
    Famous last words and all..but it is nice to get to a point when you can just stop and enjoy what you have. Congrats on all the upgrades!

Yes I am at that point. Time to enjoy and save.

Funny when I looked at all I did and double checked how much I've spent I am still right around $2500 total. A4L, Adorama, CL and HSU gave me a discount for it being my 3rd sub.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Let me know when you get to the point that you eliminate one entire system and consolidate.

Then turn around and rebuy that entire system, but with more expensive stuff...

Sadly, I'm NO WHERE near the level of some people around here!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    You are not done, but merely taking a break. Soon you will be back at it. Enjoy. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mrloren
    edited April 2017
    BlueFox wrote: »
    You are not done, but merely taking a break. Soon you will be back at it. Enjoy. :)

True :) once I save more money and don't spend too much on saw blades and router bits this summer.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,506
    Riiight
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    mrloren wrote: »
    So in November I was wanting to upgrade my AVR to something better than my Sony Es. Thanks to this board I went to a Marantz SR5010. Nice upgrade.

While I was looking at the Marantz I noticed a lot of threads about the Signature speakers. D2lo was kind enough to let me have a nice tour and a good listen to the Signature S60. I wanted a set that day. With luck and an unreal Adorama sale I got me a set of Signatures.

A few weeks ago some forgotten about money came in after years of waiting. I was able to pickup a good used Oppo BDP-93. I had just enough for a HSU VTF3-MK5. If my wife see's this she will go buy another bag.

HSU VTF2-Mk3 to HSU VTF3-MK5 just installed it today and it slams. Can't wait for it to wear in.
    Replaced the GLS locking banana plugs on my 10AWG Furez cable with Audioquest silver BFA Plugs. This seemed to open my soundstage more
    Replaced 3 of the other old green Audioquest HDMI cables with new Audioquest pearls
    Traded the Sony 5700ES for another SR5010 to replace the Onkyo 626 in the bedroom.

All in all I've spent enough money on my HT this year. My HT both upstairs and bedroom sound amazing now

Time to start saving.

Frankly I don't really care what you think. I Think you need more gear, that's what's important. This hobby is no fun if you can actually stop. As a matter of fact if you can stop it is pretty obvious that you were just faking it in the first place. So start thinking about the amps and subs that you need. Are you into vinyl? If not you need to get into vinyl too MACHT SNELL! I hope this helps.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885

Time to start saving.

Frankly I don't really care what you think. I Think you need more gear, that's what's important. This hobby is no fun if you can actually stop.

This couldn't be more true.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mrloren

Time to start saving.

Frankly I don't really care what you think. I Think you need more gear, that's what's important. This hobby is no fun if you can actually stop. As a matter of fact if you can stop it is pretty obvious that you were just faking it in the first place. So start thinking about the amps and subs that you need. Are you into vinyl? If not you need to get into vinyl too MACHT SNELL! I hope this helps.

Yes I am thinking of putting in a 2 channel in the living room but that won't be till next year. When I go to my bro's house for Thanksgiving I am going to repo my vinyl.

Like I said "I am done for NOW". But how long will "NOW" be? There a few small things I need to do, like getting rid of the brass jumpers. Changing out my in-ceiling speakers for a four matching MC80. I would also like to add in the Marantz 2 channel amp. All but the jumpers will have to wait. I need to save some for now :)

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    It's good to get to a point where you say "enough for a while" gives you the time to enjoy the results of your labor. N'joy!!!
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    "I'm done" ya right!
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,903
    "I'm done" ya right!

How about it...more people of said those words than the Rolling Stones.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    One of my best friends said that so many times we're putting it on his tombstone!
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • mrloren
    Like I said "for now". I need to save so I can get add a Marantz MM7025 amp. But that can wait....

This is what my HT was back in November 16

aju3a6fldowf.jpg

This is 10 minutes ago

clei3ngq3gp5.jpg

The HSU VTF3-MK5 ROCKS. Just sat and listened to Rush Moving Pictures. All I can say is amazing. With the RTi8 I could not listen to this entire CD above -15db now it's -10db all day. S60's are such a joy on music.

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,310
    edited April 2017
    Lookin' great! Love the new speakers, sub, and cabinet.
    Those signatures sure are beauties.

PS - what's your MIL think? :#
    lol
    I disabled signatures.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    You need to upgrade by about 4 ninja turtles before you can even think of being done.
  • mrloren
    msg wrote: »
    Lookin' great! Love the new speakers, sub, and cabinet.
    Those signatures sure are beauties.

PS - what's your MIL think? :#
    lol

MIL goes away when I turn up my rock music.

She does sit through movies and I have a world greatest vocal recording SACD she likes to listen to.
  • pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    We'll stop in the bar for just one beer......
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    "I can put down the pipe anytime that I want to"
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Looks terrific, sit back, rebuild the finances and enjoy what you have put together!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    How long did this round of upgrading take?

Without the forum, it would have taken him 5 years.

WITH the forum, about 5 weeks...
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993

I was dumbfounded at the improvement in picture quality when I replaced AQ Forest HDMI with Cinnamon (Thanks, @mantis !). For the first time in 4 or 5 years, I am happy with our Aquos picture. Still kicking myself on that one.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • mrloren

About 6 months
    Upstatemax wrote: »

Without the forum, it would have taken him 5 years.

WITH the forum, about 5 weeks...

Without this forum I would have gotten an Onkyo and been made in a year when the HDMI board smoked

I've been on and off this forum for over 11 years. When ever I am on here it seams my savings goes away. But my audio does improve