Great bands/performers you just can't fall in love with.

Options

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    oh sure, agree w/ Doc.
    Good points there, Doc. You can hear Dylan type inflections in Pettys and Knopflers singing styles.
    But it's the dichotomy of what "bad singing" to poetic lyrics has done to influence many otherwise great songs since.
    Break off into groups and postulate......

Do you see that last word in my post? B)

Don't youse guyses postulate too much -- you'll need to get glasses.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    actually no. :/ Makes better sense now. :#
    oh sure, agree w/ Doc.
    Good points there, Doc. You can hear Dylan type inflections in Pettys and Knopflers singing styles.
    But it's the dichotomy of what "bad singing" to poetic lyrics has done to influence many otherwise great songs since.
    Break off into groups and postulate......

Do you see that last word in my post? B)

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,583
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    wha?
    xsvz4l2uo41o.jpeg
    nbrowser wrote: »
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Rush - quite possibly the most over hyped band of all time, IMHO.

I have to agree as a Canadian to boot!. They are overplayed up here due to CANCON rules (Canadian Content), I just find their music nauseating to say the least.

Rush sucks, that's the facts...from a dyed in the wool CANADIAN!!!!!

I listen to Rush all the time when I am in the car....

As far as the band goes, I am inclined to agree somewhat, but there is no denying that Neil Peart is one of the greatest drummers of all time.

Lets not forget the fact he wrote 95% of the lyrics.
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Options
    Well they are SDA compatible
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • StevieB
    StevieB Posts: 256
    Options

daddyjt wrote: »
    StevieB wrote: »
    Just so you guys know, ELP, Yes, Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Hendrix etc. were known as acid rock for a good reason. >:)

Wait... You're implying there's a drug connection to Pink Floyd??

Just my attempt to enlighten the younger listeners. :p
    McCormack DNA-1 Amp, Parasound Halo P5 Pre Amp, Denon DVD 2900 CD player, Adcom GDA 700 DAC, VPI Traveler TT with Denon 103R cartridge, Lounge Audio MKiii phono pre and Copla SUT, Polk SDA SRS 3.1 TL speakers, Tributaries series 8 IC's and speaker cable.
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    The Ramones,Iggy Pop and the like never did it for me.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    Options
    Boston. Can't put my finger on it but their music just grates on me.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,916
    Options
    REO Speedwagon is another for me especially the later garbage...
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    Yeah, I really liked their first album. Lol
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

Early stuff i thought was good, but around hi infidelity it went south pretty bad. Today you couldn't pay me enough to go to a show.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    daboyz wrote: »
    Boston. Can't put my finger on it but their music just grates on me.

My guess is it's the screetchy mastering (at least of their first, eponymous album). Pretty typical of Columbia LPs of its era, IMO. Thin and grating.

The fact that Tom Scholz's 'technology' (again, IMO) was mammothly over-rated at the time probably didn't help, either.
  • mhardy6647
    Options

The song "Roll with the Changes" was (is) great basic rock 'n' roll, though (I'd opine)
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

The song "Roll with the Changes" was (is) great basic rock 'n' roll, though (I'd opine)

I agree and the album with the song "Golden Country" was a crowd pleaser for me in my formative years.
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    I always referred to them as Reo T-u-r-d Wagon. Immature I know, but I cannot stand to listen to that music.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    stones89 wrote: »

I agree and the album with the song "Golden Country" was a crowd pleaser for me in my formative years.

The one live album is all you ever will need, everything on one CD
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    flash in the pan, great band!
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    The Grateful Dead. And they were from my "era". Just never enjoyed their music. Wrong state of mind, perhaps, if you know what I mean <wink, wink, nudge, nudge>.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Bruce Springsteen destroyed the future of rock and roll
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Is "schmaltz" the white stuff found at the top of a pink of root beer?

It's chicken fat
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    Rick88 wrote: »
    ^^^ I'm only 53, so....

h4bv7cyd4od2.jpeg

:)

I was never a Dead Head, but those people I knew that were, had a high propensity for a certain herb.

• pitdogg2
    Options
    Jimbo18 wrote: »

I was never a Dead Head, but those people I knew that were, had a high propensity for a certain herb.

Even that don't help trust me there >:)

• motorhead43026
    Options
    I love good herb, and there is not enough in the whole world to make me appreciate the Dead.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,329
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Bruce Springsteen destroyed the future of rock and roll

IMHO, The Boss didn't quite kill it - but Nirvana swooped in and drove the death nails...

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• mhardy6647
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You know -- I'm astonished, really, that so far no one's mentioned -- the Bay City Rollers.

:)

As to the Dead, there were other recreational pharmaceutical agents involved, at least for them -- at least in their heyday.

I've gotta say, though, that, if (and only if) one acquires a taste for the Dead's oeuvre, no chemical enhancement is required.

And I say this in spite of the familiar old joke:
    Q: What did the Deadheads say when they ran out of pot?
    A: This band su¢ks!

:*

• motorhead43026
    Options
    ^^there is my nerdgasm for the day, thank you ;)

• afterburnt
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Is "schmaltz" the white stuff found at the top of a pink of root beer?

It's chicken fat

They use chicken fat in root beer?

Nah just chopped liver
  • afterburnt
    Options
    What did one dead head say to the other when they ran of drugs at a dead concert? Hey this misuc sucks!
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited March 2017
    Options
    stones89 wrote: »

As well as the songs mentioned REO had a "few" other tunes that were actually listenable. Keep Pushin',Ridin' the Storm out and this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dva8aVJH8uE
    Richrath was a more than decent guitarist IMO.
    As for my over rated list,Hendrix,Joplin,Dylan,Pearl Jam,Nirvana, Tragically Hip come to mind.
    Over time I have gained an appreciation for Pink Floyd,especially the talent of Gilmour.His live at Royal Albert Hall is one of my favourite concert DVD,s.