Monitor 7B upgrades

F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,708
edited March 2017 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Since I decided to keep these of course I had to upgrade them. Pretty much the standard crossover mods, but with all point to point wiring. I removed the fuse and used a 4.7uf in place of the 4.5uf to compensate. I also upgraded the chassis wire and terminated them with gold plated copper fastons. In addition, I installed new binding post plates from Trey, hence the fuse removal, along with new binding posts and a full set of Larry's rings.

I noticed afer I drilled out the rivet attaching the fuse holders to the plate and removed them that the two wires coming off the holders has serious oxidation, which has to affect the performance. If you are considering upgrading your binding posts you should address this issue.

The new stuff.

mcrcbh4xhjv0.jpg

Close up.

fsr4dy5udbfq.jpg

New plates and posts.

6tlygx4hamah.jpg

This is one of the fuse holders. Pretty bad oxidation.

2xhfkfu9tpg3.jpg

I forgot to mention......I love the smell of solder at midnight.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Nice.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Pretty boards. Uncle Jesse once again impresses with clean and professional work.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Great looking work!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Very clean, very nice!
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Nice, Jesse.
    What kind of wire do you like for the chassis wire upgrades?
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    K_M wrote: »
    Great looking work!

This guy has no idea what mediocrity is. It all been stellar that I have seen.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    I will buy them, what no longer for sale? They look good nice work definitely keepers enjoy the fruits of your labor!
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    I agree, well executed F1. I 2nd the question on wires. Also any wall foam or extra dacron that you prefer?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Very nice Jesse. I've recommended removing the old fuse blocks for some time. I don't compensate downstream however.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • F1nut
    Just some nice stranded copper speaker wire, much better than stock, but nothing special.

I though the about adding some BH5, but there's so much Dacron in there already I decided against it.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Since I lost the model and serial numbers when I replaced the binding post plates I came up with the following. I laminated them before attaching with 3M double sided adhesive sheet material. I think they are happy to have their identity back.

qwbed61pt2nu.jpg

cs2hheiw7h20.jpg

13clghbigciw.jpg

President of Club Polk

• HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 723
    See! What you've done there is make me want these fab speakers even more. They look great Jesse.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Very nice work!
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    Nicely done Jesse.
    Clean. Elegant.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Nice work Jessie :)
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    Looking good
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    Nice I miss mine. Is @cincycat13 still around? Maybe he will sell them back to me....

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    Just reading this thread makes me wanna go dig out mine
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Kilgore
    Kilgore Posts: 4
    Nice! Very clean.

I'm thinking about upgrading my Monitor 7C's with new tweeters and a crossover rebuild. They still sound pretty good, but are around 30 years old so I figure it's time.

Can any of you who have upgraded tell me what improvement I should expect? Compared to some nice systems I've listened to, my modest system has a bit less separation and more sibilance. Some recordings can sound a bit harsh; I think the tweeter replacement should help that by balancing out the treble.

Thanks.
  • F1nut
    edited March 2017
    What you can expect is an overall improvevent in the sound. A broad stroke, but none the less the truth. Definitely replace those tweeters.

President of Club Polk

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Great job...A classic all around nice sounding speaker. I bet the mods paid off. Enjoy.