TV stand is too small

Options

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    But I mean your center channel is only like 80% of the sound from a surround track so why would it matter, right?

A couple of weeks ago I bought the re-mastered Godfather Trilogy. So, I am watching the Godfather, and it sounds like muffled c r a p at the very beginning, and then went silent. WTF, I said. Then I realized the amp running the center and two surrounds was turned off. First time that ever happened. In the past I have forgotten to turn on the two amps driving the fronts, and the center carried the load without to much trouble.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    I'd use the Left Rear One for my center on top of my TV Stand, with the TV on top.
    That's the spirit! :p
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    I'd use the Left Rear One for my center on top of my TV Stand, with the TV on top.
    That's the spirit! :p

Oi!
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    As John Wayne said, "If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough."
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    Options
    HzTweaker wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    can' say I can recall seeing any Altec Voice of the Theater systems on their sides...

page_5.jpg

Cool photo @mhardy6647

From an old Altec catalog --http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/catalogs/1975-pro.htm

Gary Kaufman is still planning to do an all Altec HT, last I knew.
    A5s topped with 1505 horns/288 drivers and A8s for surrounds.

As a not completely irrelevant aside -- Gary's A5s are on the very short list of the very best sounding loudspeakers (to my ears) that I have yet heard.

r4qdxu4lsni8.jpg

An A5 on its side wouldn't make a good center channel -- but it would (and did) make a superb center/dialog reproducer in classic cinema theaters for decades.

The A8 is (was) a really interesting 'slender' VOTT -- the interesting part was the use of a 90 degree bent treble horn... and that's interesting because that horn (the Altec 32B) was the direct descendant of the Western Electric 32A horn. Both flavors of 32 horn are held in great regard in certain circles to this very day.

matsui33jp-img600x400-1424387635f98a09606.jpg

http://jelabs.blogspot.com/2014/01/altec-2-way-horn-system-redux.html
    http://jelabs.blogspot.com/2016/02/altec-32b-horn-redux.html

page%2074.jpg

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,277
    Options
    can' say I can recall seeing any Altec Voice of the Theater systems on their sides...

page_5.jpg

May I ask where this particular drive-in is located ? And do they have a concession stand ?

Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    yeah, huh?

I know some guys with stuff like that in their homes :)
  • befuddle
    befuddle Posts: 126
    Options
    Isn't a center speaker designed in terms of snd quality to perform as voicing speaker? Aside from size and driver layout i was under the assumption that unlike a full range spk it was designed to remove the lower bass and possibly extended highs to more closely mimic the range of the human voice in a attempt to eliminate any colorization that using a full range spk may add.
    IMO as i got better quality gear the term sounding good got more subjective and i began to describe previous gear as sounding ok,decent or acceptable in relation to improvements
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options

page_5.jpg

I'm not quite sure how you are going to accomplish that when:

A.: There is a massive, high frequency, compression horn array on top that is critical to the sound otherwise the speaker is only going to reproduce sounds equivalent to God farting through the same trombone Charlie Brown's teacher squawks through.

and

2.: If you are planning on laying it on it's side, it's going to end up pointing mostly at the ceiling with the "sweet spot" several feet behind and above your head. VOTTs are cool and all but the entire reason for the directional horns is because their off-axis response is pretty poor since they are the high efficiency Alnico magnet structures and the tweeter is buried in a couple feet of horn structure. If you didn't have that structure, the tweeter would just sound like a buzzing, giant bee stuck to wall that was listening to a pretty poor transistor radio.

In a theater, that's no big deal because even a 2 degree shift in off-axis response translates to several feet if not 10's of feet at the listening position in a theater. At home, though, your listening distances are too close to realize such a small shift in off-axis response.

That off-axis response issue is what people are talking about here in regards to your use of a tower as a center channel.

While your use of a full-range tower may "sound good" to you, what you are actually doing is over-emphasizing your center channel info. This causes the majority of your programming information to be emanating from your center channel which does not get the full range of your audio programming. It's intended to be where dialog comes from. Dialog coming out of all channels instead of just the front would cause your system to make anyone speaking to seem like it was in your head. By using such a powerful speaker for your center channel, though, you are skewing your HT field to the center and diminishing your surround effects.

On top of that, if you have, say, a 3.5 foot tall tower (42" tall) then your tweeters are typically positioned to be about 32-36 inches off the ground. That is your typical range for head positioning at a seated point at the listening position. That means that the tweeter is 6-10 inches down from the top of the speaker. So laying a 42" tall speaker on it's side makes for a center point 21" from either end. So your tweeter is now a foot or more from the center of the speaker and skewed to whatever side it's closest to.

Your tweeter might have good off-axis response but the off-axis response is typically -3 to -6 dB as you get further from centerline of the tweeter. That means, to get similar performance from your tweeter in your high, off-axis listening position, you have to turn the center channel up much farther in gain than the rest of the channels to hear it at the same level as the other tweeters in the system to preserve your front sound stage. That draws all of your attention to the front then as well.

To further your problem, check out the speaker baffle (the surface the tweeter is mounted in) and see what it looks like. Most tweeters are round so they should have the same off-axis response in all directions around the driver. However, to get your stereo imaging right and to minimize undesirable reflections off of ceilings and floors, designers and engineers will design baffles that will help stifle vertical off-axis response and emphasize horizontal off-axis response. In a properly damped listening room, this can create the impression of a wide and deep sound stage which mimics the environment of a live performance.

Putting a tower speaker meant to be used in a vertical orientation takes that tuning of the off-axis response and puts it 90 degrees off plane.

While sonically, the tower speaker might give you a sense of power and authority when used as a center channel, what you're really doing is skewing your sound stage to one side and killing the response field that a center channel usually enjoys.

This could also be a huge contributor to your source issues in this thread:
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/176684/anyone-use-different-output-levels-for-different-sources/p1

The reason for that is because you likely have your center channel way over boosted to compensate for this arrangement and when you play music or some other 2-channel programming, your stereo pair which would handle this duty are not set at an adequate gain level because of the skewing your tower as a center causes.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options

page_5.jpg

May I ask where this particular drive-in is located ? And do they have a concession stand ?

Of course they do you're looking at the popcorn poppers
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    It's just going to look really silly and unless it's under a very large projection screen and sitting 20 feet back the voiced image is going to be noticeably shifted.

Use the right tool for the job imo.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ^^^ great detective work. He said has klipsch. That looks funky. Everything crammed in that little space.

That right side looks like hot tweeter central.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mhardy6647
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Klipsch loudspeakers "hot"? Perish the thought! ;)

(although they are useful for paint removal at high SPLs)

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    That has got to be a trailer.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    Options
    could well be...
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

I'm guessing dubba wide...
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Man. Sure got a bit brutale around here.
    I'm still sorry Broose.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

No way with his highly sophisticated lifestyle I'd say it's a "manufacturered" home.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited March 2017
    Options
    oh my all this time I thought the OP was joking, Are there no woodworkers in WV that could help this guy out? A piece of Plywood and an S35 would do much better.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    The above Craig's List/ Klipsch front speaker array is actually somewhat inspiring. It shows how creative placement can put the most sound into small spaces. And the woofer cones on those Klipsch Speakers are reminiscent of the new Signature S55s! Hey you folks out in Polk speaker land that just landed the S55s, go for it! You now have a visual representation of what is possible. By freeing up extra space, you just may be able to squeeze a ping-pong table into your living room.

No it is not inspiring.

As many people tried to explain to the op, there is a reason a center speaker is designed the way it is. With the tweeter in the center, for instance, as well as a mid woofer on each side of the tweeter.

All dialogue, for an example will shift to the right side of the screen, the way the speakers are shown in the picture. There is no way any calibration, auto or manual, could correct that bad of speaker placement.

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    this could be a bad movie title or something. Also could be for the banjo playing and pig squeal sounds.

Is that a beer can maybe PBR by the wall next to the right speaker.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    Opening this thread is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're gonna get.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Rick, definitely not a sub. It's a door or panel.

Look out, says he modified them.

io74e7qply4v.jpg
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Opening this thread is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're gonna get.

LMAO....starting the morning off with a good chuckle. Maybe the OP needs to define what a "seamless soundstage" is to him. My definition is certainly different from his.

We all have our definitions of what good sound is, that pic though, doesn't fit my description. I'm just wondering now, why he felt a need to upgrade the horns. Could it be he somehow damaged the originals ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Rick88 wrote: »
    5xsaubqcyjph.jpg

That is how they erect covered bridges south* of the Mason-Dixon line, isn't it?

13766993583_0c7295565c_b.jpgDSC_9035 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Options
    A band saw down at the lumber mill and some duct tape could turn that floorstander into a real center channel speaker. No problem.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    A band saw down at the lumber mill and some duct tape could turn that floorstander into a real center channel speaker. No problem.

Good point -- duct tape has those ideal physical properties of stiffness, strength, light weight, flexibility, and it's a "lossy" material, to boot.

Plus, as long as you buy the "silvery" kind, it'd even look like titanium. You know, kind of.