How Important is Imaging to You?

Options
1235»

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,339
    Options
    Thanks Mark for the recommendation. I appreciate it sir.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    Glad you are giving that amp a work out. Enjoy.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    $65 for the records? Jeeze Louise, thanks but no thanks. Just checked Tidal and that album is on it along with 166 other Grateful Dead albums. Holy Mackerel. No wonder Dead fans live in tented communities with their hippie brethren, all they can afford are albums.

Anyway I starred Reckoning, I'll give it a listen after I get something like the Bluesound Node 2.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    I am really impressed with tidal sound quality too. Damn what a bargain.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    Glad you are giving that amp a work out. Enjoy.

Within its limitations (5 wpc) it is very good. Very good.
    I am trying to work up some sort of integrated synopsis.
    Buoyed by unexpected 'success' with the KLH 5s -- time to try more loudspeakers with it, now.

It is a cool piece.
    So much so that it makes me start to think seriously (cheapskate that I am) about the big-bucks Pass amplifiers ;)

• mhardy6647
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    $65 for the records? Jeeze Louise, thanks but no thanks. Just checked Tidal and that album is on it along with 166 other Grateful Dead albums. Holy Mackerel. No wonder Dead fans live in tented communities with their hippie brethren, all they can afford are albums.

Anyway I starred Reckoning, I'll give it a listen after I get something like the Bluesound Node 2.

Heh -- I have a warped copy of one of the two LP disks that I found at the Harvard, MA dump years back. :)

It is a good sounding rekkid, tho'. No, I am not recommending spending 65 smackers for a copy, though!

I also have a cassette dub of the album I made back when it was new -- I may have to dig it out & try it sometime :neutral:
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited February 2017
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

It is a cool piece.
    So much so that it makes me start to think seriously (cheapskate that I am) about the big-bucks Pass amplifiers ;)

They are SUPERB! Worthy every penny

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »

It is a cool piece.

They are SUPERB! Worthy every penny

That is what I am afraid of. I'll have to donate a kidney -- and that'll probably just get me a monoblock.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    You wouldn't need anything over the XA30.5, if even that much.

For the stuff he runs, a First Watt might even suffice.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Yes indeed.
    But that's another story for another day.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    have to donate two kidneys to get two mono blocks.
    [/quote]

That is what I am afraid of. I'll have to donate a kidney -- and that'll probably just get me a monoblock.[/quote]

• mhardy6647
    Options
    yeah, I left the math for y'all to do -- QED and all that.
    I'm not too good at math.

I mean, I could live with one kidney and a mono system, too, you know?
  • Nightfall
    edited February 2017
    Options

So you don't really care about imaging then? ;) If a mono audio system was my only option I'd just get a decent iPod dock and be done with the hobby.
    Post edited by Nightfall on

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Ohh Nooo! Josh just stepped on a landmine!
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Fixed?

• mhardy6647
    Options
    actually I was going to opine earlier in this thread that true mono reproduced through a true point source radiator may be the best possible evocation of a real live musical performance -- now that I'm bartering body parts, heck, I'll just go ahead and post it!

:)
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    actually I was going to opine earlier in this thread that true mono reproduced through a true point source radiator may be the best possible evocation of a real live musical performance -- now that I'm bartering body parts, heck, I'll just go ahead and post it!

:)

Stick to your convictions, Doc....
    ;)
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »

So you don't really care about imaging then? ;) If a mono audio system was my only option I'd just get a decent iPod dock and be done with the hobby.

The problem is MrH's iPod dock would look like this within 24hrs as h tried to figure out how to put tubes in it or adding an Altec horn :)
    2bup0e1qmkra.png
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    There're reasons I never show y'all what it looks like behind my hifi junk.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    There're reasons I never show y'all what it looks like behind my junk.

Origin of Tony's "sack back" saying?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    There're reasons I never show y'all what it looks like behind my junk.

Origin of Tony's "sack back" saying?

And another way to show your age....things that make you go

rml0d5vhxqub.jpg
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    speaking of stereo -- I just read that Alan Blumlein is slated to receive a posthumous Grammy for inventing it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4209900/A-Grammy-British-genius-changed-music-ever.html

• mhardy6647
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Do you think he ever envisioned it being the sole focus for multi-million dollar investments in one system?

I guessing "no" -- but he may have been more interested in ensuring that all of Europe didn't end up speaking -- well -- another language besides English, French, etc.

oh, and speaking of mono, this is kind of interesting (offered strictly as-is and FWIW):

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/vintage/messages/23/238970.html
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    speaking of stereo -- I just read that Alan Blumlein is slated to receive a posthumous Grammy for inventing it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4209900/A-Grammy-British-genius-changed-music-ever.html

Here is a quote from the above article..."It was three years later that he had the 'Eureka moment' that led to the development of stereo recording and playback. While watching a film with his wife Doreen, he became frustrated that the sound did not match what was happening on screen.
    He decided it would be more realistic if he used two microphones to record separately. The development – 'binaural recordings' – is what is now known as stereo."

Sounds to me like that is very similar to imaging.