Options
1234568»

Comments

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    This morning I received a pair of Dynaudio Contour S 3.4 LE's and rolled them into the mix.
    tgrnz5faiurl.jpg

Glenn, I didn't have the opportunity to get an ear on any Salk's. I was also kinda bummed about the 3-4 month lead time on getting a pair built.
    I Know! I placed an order for a sub on Oct 5th hoping to have it by Turkey Day . . .
    Jim said closer to X-mas!
    I'm still waiting

"Paired with the M-180's the 3.4's are revealing without being bright or fatiguing in any way, detailed yet smooth as Buttah. I love the Dyn sound and will enjoy them for some time to come!"

Your advise has been spot-on so far, so Ill make a point to visit the only dealer here in Mich
    Enjoy the Tunes!

The Salk's have to be an exceptional line, Jim has built a very good business on the delivery of "Perfection". You can't rush that concept.

I listened to Some Revel F208's, KEF R900's, a couple of Focal models and some Klipsch towers. To my ears the Dynaudio had the edge in "Holographic Imaging", as mentioned in a previous post.

I would recommend getting to a dealer, or a show that has the new Contour line and get your listen on.

They could be described as a little "laid back", I think that's why they are such a good match up with the M-180's that can have a tendency to be a little "forward" in their presentation.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    This morning I received a pair of Dynaudio Contour S 3.4 LE's and rolled them into the mix.

Hey Mike, nice set-up!
    Was wonder'n if you ever had a chance to audition the Salks and . . .
    How do the Contours pair with the Rogue M-180s ?

I can't answer about the Rogue, but my first encounter with the Dyn's was the S1.4 and a Primaluna Integrated. The combo produced a very holographic sound, I've been hooked on Dyns ever since.

I'm hooked also, the Dyn's are a very good match up with my gear and room, really enjoying their sound!

mikeyb128 wrote: »
    tgrnz5faiurl.jpg

Hey Mike, nice set-up!
    Was wonder'n if you ever had a chance to audition the Salks and . . .
    How do the Contours pair with the Rogue M-180s ?

I love that setup! Looks even better with the dyns in place

Thanks! I spend a lot of time there, especially this time of year.

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    tgrnz5faiurl.jpg

Glenn, I didn't have the opportunity to get an ear on any Salk's. I was also kinda bummed about the 3-4 month lead time on getting a pair built.

"the 3.4's are revealing without being bright or fatiguing in any way, detailed yet smooth as Buttah. I love the Dyn sound and will enjoy them for some time to come"

This description almost matches how I feel about my focal electras. Most that have heard them in shops think they are a forward/bright speaker, but what they really need To do is listen to them with some tube gear in front of them.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• ukcolin99
    ukcolin99 Posts: 286
    Options
    halo wrote: »
    ukcolin99 wrote: »
    P5 is great for analog (not digital)
    I find that I like the built-in DAC in the P5 but that could be the synergy in my setup. I tried out the Rotel RDD-1580 DAC in my setup and I actually preferred the DAC in the P5.

Absolutely, took me a little while to realize this hobby (obsession) should be about what you love.

• ukcolin99
    Options
    Thread seems to have closure, adding better pics.jsy9v565kpl3.jpg
    71cclqnw0oel.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited January 2017
    Options
    To quote the redoubtable, albeit dead, Dr. Hunter S. Thompson.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Pro-grade weirdness 'round the ol' Hardy casa nowadays.

32306122251_668057581e_b.jpgDSC_6934 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    32427150645_1d4d778484_b.jpgDSC_6937 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    31565379194_46be360f88_b.jpgDSC_6931 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    My 2ch system:

4BEBE267-A7C4-4D92-A4CC-FD45395A0107_zpsmfmpgqpu.jpg
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    ranl9n11ecy5.jpg

Poor iPhone pic of the bedroom setup...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    Is it just me or is the bedroom entertainment center bowing in the middle...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Is it just me or is the bedroom entertainment center bowing in the middle...

I don't notice it bowing in the center but I did notice that the TV is off center by just a tad to the right. :p
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • genjivn
    genjivn Posts: 101
    Options
    ukcolin99, how does the cambridge sound as preamp compared to the P5? Thanks.
  • halo
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    To quote the redoubtable, albeit dead, Dr. Hunter S. Thompson.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Pro-grade weirdness 'round the ol' Hardy casa nowadays.

32306122251_668057581e_b.jpgDSC_6934 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    32427150645_1d4d778484_b.jpgDSC_6937 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    31565379194_46be360f88_b.jpgDSC_6931 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

This is such a clean looking setup. I've always liked the looks :smile:
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2017
    Options
    What, compared to yours? :(
    I don't think so.
    Yours is lookin' good, Halo.

The old flannel shirt and beach towel protecting the Duplexes' "Billfort" cabinets from the horns are clean, though :)

31632826743_4ce4e6a305_b.jpgDSC_6938 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • halo
    edited January 2017
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    What, compared to yours? :(
    I don't think so.
    Yours is lookin' good, Halo.

The old flannel shirt and beach towel protecting the Duplexes' "Billfort" cabinets from the horns are clean, though :)

I think you have a lot of gear in the room but it is all organized. I think your setup's priority is sound quality and, from what I've read, you are in fine shape!

I don't see anything wrong or cluttered in your setup (visually speaking).

If you take a close look at my setup, the wire management is pretty atrocious. lol.

I do appreciate the kind words Mark. :smile:

• mhardy6647
    Options
    I don't generally show all y'all pictures of my wiring ;)
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    Options
    Is a combination of 2 and HT.

ddt5y4s639w1.jpg
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • ukcolin99
    Options
    genjivn wrote: »

I ran this set up with the 851 operating as a Pre without the P5, I was close to selling the P5, 851 is very clean, great detail almost antiseptic I liked the sound. Older & wiser forum members (you know who you are-thank you) suggested I try with the P5 in the mix.

After reading stereophile.com reviews of the P5 & 851D where P5 was praised for it's analog performance, it received poor measurable scores for digital capacity.
    The 851D was extremely well regarded by reviewer & measurement guy, I am using both. The Cambridge 851D is operating solely as a DAC via USB for iTunes (mostly lossless CDs) off my MacPro, analog into the P5. I like what I have (aside from my current cable issue referred to above).

To answer your question, imo...if you are listening to digital music, the 851 is a better Pre lot of detail, if you have analog source(s) the P5 has history & huge number of fans. With my setup I believe I am getting best of both worlds, the P5 adds some depth, character, less clean?, less fatiguing. Little chatty hope it helps.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    I totally agree that the P5 shines with its analog inputs, falls a bit flat with it's digital section.

I've switched to using the Oppo's DAC and the P5 strictly for Analog. I asked Richard @ Parasound if they planned on offering an upgrade for the P5's DAC. Sadly, it's a no go. It would cost too much to make it feasible.
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    4jedlcxa94ow.jpg

Just picked up this gem to replace my lounge audio LCR MKii, holy crap is this thing good! was comparing it to my buddies NVO SPA MKii and my buddy was very impressed, and a little upset how well it fared against it. I'm stoked! Let the tube rolling begin!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• halo
    Options
    Just picked up this gem to replace my lounge audio LCR MKii
    That's a very pretty phono pre! Congrats!

• mikeyb128
    Options
    Just picked up this gem to replace my lounge audio LCR MKii
    That's a very pretty phono pre! Congrats!

The buyer supplied a few extra tubes with it, I don't have any 12AX7's on hand. I borrowed a few from a friend of mine, it sounds great with the Haltron rectifier and a vintage colomor/svetlana 12AX7 in the middle spot. This has brought my vinyl experience to another level. I now see why guys enjoy this vinyl junk so much.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• halo
    Options
    The buyer supplied a few extra tubes with it, I don't have any 12AX7's on hand. I borrowed a few from a friend of mine, it sounds great with the Haltron rectifier and a vintage colomor/svetlana 12AX7 in the middle spot. This has brought my vinyl experience to another level. I now see why guys enjoy this vinyl junk so much.

lol! That's a good place to be! Hopefully, I will get there in time :smile:
  • mikeyb128
    Options

lol! That's a good place to be! Hopefully, I will get there in time :smile:

Thanks for the compliments halo. I've been prowling for deals. I'm not too deep in the vinyl rabbit hole as of yet. I'm actually pretty smitten with this set up as of now, and I didn't spend what I consider a whole lot to get here (for vinyl that is). This preamp is even more quiet than the LCR MKiii. I've got an original pressing of Pink Floyd "Wish you were here" and it's fantastic.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• halo
    Options
    This preamp is even more quiet than the LCR MKiii. I've got an original pressing of Pink Floyd "Wish you were here" and it's fantastic.
    THAT is what it's all about!

• genjivn
    genjivn Posts: 101
    Options
    ukcolin99 wrote: »
    genjivn wrote: »

I ran this set up with the 851 operating as a Pre without the P5, I was close to selling the P5, 851 is very clean, great detail almost antiseptic I liked the sound. Older & wiser forum members (you know who you are-thank you) suggested I try with the P5 in the mix.

After reading stereophile.com reviews of the P5 & 851D where P5 was praised for it's analog performance, it received poor measurable scores for digital capacity.
    The 851D was extremely well regarded by reviewer & measurement guy, I am using both. The Cambridge 851D is operating solely as a DAC via USB for iTunes (mostly lossless CDs) off my MacPro, analog into the P5. I like what I have (aside from my current cable issue referred to above).

To answer your question, imo...if you are listening to digital music, the 851 is a better Pre lot of detail, if you have analog source(s) the P5 has history & huge number of fans. With my setup I believe I am getting best of both worlds, the P5 adds some depth, character, less clean?, less fatiguing. Little chatty hope it helps.

Thanks. That answers my question. I guess I can live with the Cambridge as a DAC/pre for digital sources without adding another pre to the signal chain.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    rlGhTMv.jpg

I have been obsessed with these speakers from the moment I laid eyes on them. Can I come over and listen to your set up..........for ever?

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman