Next DIY Build

Options
2»

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I ain't @helipilotdoug but I think it turned out ok...

B4381D0E-41C9-4B86-8931-7E310249048A.jpg

Instead of techflex I used a similar product but made of nylon... I like it but I may regret it as it will probably snag a lot lol...

But for now it looks good.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    Dan gets the HMNG, or high marks, nice going.... ;)
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    So yesterday was a long day, and an adventure.

**Note** Because we were busy working this is more narrative than pictorial.

I have one kid cutting 6 teeth at the same time, so she was up most of the night, and the other who suddenly got scared of the dark (she says there are Zombies in her room).

So I didn’t get to sleep till about 2 am. And then I slept through my alarm that was supposed to go off at 5:30…

So I didn’t get on the road till 7:30, and had a 2:45 min drive to Chris house. So I got to Chris’s later than the 7:00 am I’d planned lol. In the meantime he’d got the box sprayed and almost done. We just had to get the grill wrapped with fabric (which we had to buy) and the speakon connector soldered. I was going to take the box home with me by days end.

So upon arrival the Ultimax box was still drying on its last finish coat, but the finish had a bit more sheen than either of us wanted, so we were going to address that after letting it dry for a bit longer. I’d brought my other sub enclosure, with the goal of doing some work on it as welll, so we started with flush trimming that box. We got that handled as well as cutting the hole for the speakon connector for it.

So we went into town and got some speaker grill fabric at Joanne’s fabrics…. For anyone looking for it, it’s literally called “Speaker Fabric”. Not super pricey, so if you need something fast, get it. Looked great. We also picked up some polyfill to stuff the cabinet.

Got back to the house about 12:30…….. and discovered a disaster.

The box that was drying on a table on his driveway had fallen over, and smashed a couple corners of the MDF and roughed up the finish in a couple places. So we knew RIGHT AWAY I wasn’t going home with the box. We have NO IDEA how it happened. There was no wind, and the box is quite heavy...... So we both agreed it was a act of god. Plus its just wood.

We solved some of the problem by adding a ¼ roundover to the entire box, and then filled in the remaining issues in the MDF with putty, and then set that box aside to let the putty dry in the sun.

In the meantime we grabbed my other box, glued up a piece of wood inside to cover the binding posts and screwed that in place. We added furniture inserts for mounting the driver and got the rest of it ready for paint.

I helped throw down a couple layers of paint and then we moved it into the sun as well to let the paint dry.

1BF1D111-BC45-4034-A882-39C0195D0C6D.jpg

We grabbed the grill and tried to get it covered, but we weren’t super stoked with how it was looking, so we are going to look at some alternative options to get it looking right. The other issue was the magnets weren’t holding as good as they should. With 10 neodymium magnets spaced around the grill there is no reason it should not hold, so we are gonna think about that too.

So after all that fun, we snatched up both the speakon connectors and drilled the hole on each tab out a bit more. Doing that allowed us to snake the 14 gauge speaker wire into it and solder the connection. For the Ultimax, I had 6 feet of the Audioquest FLX 14/4 left over, so I stripped the covering off of it, and we soldered each wire to a different tab. I don’t intend to EVER use all 4 tabs at the same time, but we wired it internally anyway since we had the wire and it then never needs to be done.

A8EF5128-23EE-4F01-ABB7-4E6FDFB38AE4.jpg

We mounted the speakon connector on the VBSS enclosure and called it a day for that.

Then we headed downstairs to play with his HT for a bit, and then I did some network troubleshooting for him, and by then it was 5:00 so it was time to hit the road again with another 2:45 of windshield time to get home.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Here is it after a couple more coats (and still wet so ignore the shine)..

ECBD6B4C-0A3E-424A-A45E-C5B38AFCD35B.jpg

After having some time to dry

E97CFE35-6425-431C-BD1D-8C8E99A64B3E.jpg

A715D5E1-DB9A-457F-8FD5-1B939580C015.jpg
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Lookin good dan.You work quick.I'm still not finished a pair of subwoofer enclosures I started this time last year.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    FTGV wrote: »
    Lookin good dan.You work quick.I'm still not finished a pair of subwoofer enclosures I started this time last year.

I cannot take any credit. My buddy Chris is the one doing all the work. I just threw down a couple coats on Saturday....

Speaking of which, he just texted me some more pictures.... He's decided he just really likes sanding down and spraying coats of paint lol...

I think we are up to something like 8-10 coats of paint....

F1A22E0B-7D0B-43CC-8545-D05B1BA1C215.jpg

04C42A5E-AE12-48B4-B94C-EFCF9AC03120.jpg
  • EndersShadow
    edited October 2016
    Options
    So at the end of the day we are going to have to just use a pegs for the grill.

For whatever reason the neo magnets aren't working, and I'm not interested in asking my buddy to use different or bigger ones as it would mess up the finish and require a lot of rework.

They either aren't perfectly aligned, aren't strong enough or both. Either way, grill pegs wont bother me so thats what we are doing.

Additionally I'm pretty sure he's ready for this project to be done lol...

So here are the "finish" pictures minus the grill being attached.

He even glued a piece of wood in the corner indicating which wires were connected to which pins on the speakon connector incase I need to re-wire it at some point.

Gotta say I'm looking forward to installing this in my setup, though it will likely be a week or two due to scheduling issues between the two of us.

7EFA0624-9FF9-4B69-A4D0-C48053557624.jpg

73C28772-7053-45A2-A136-322624FE5C53.jpg

5DFB326C-70ED-45F2-A46F-0E7BB7328696.jpg

So one down.....

Once my Dayton amp and Cube 15 sell I will look at buying the next flatpack.... But that might be early spring. My buddy deserves a break....

I'd like to publicly thank him, even though he cant see this, so THANK YOU CHRIS!

Also thank you @dgage of Deep Sea Sound for selling me the slab nuts. I think they look really good and I look forward to using them on my other projects in the future!

And lastly thank you @lt02 for all your answers to my questions about different build options.

At the end of the day I hope that these sealed subs help quench my thirst for ULF..
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Team Lift comes to mind when seeing something like this.
    Don't blow an "o"ring trying to impress the Mrs. Just know it's too late...she was disappointing the day you said "hi"... :p
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Team Lift comes to mind when seeing something like this.
    Don't blow an "o"ring trying to impress the Mrs. Just know it's too late...she was disappointing the day you said "hi"... :p

It's only like 150lbs...

It's like lifting 1.25 polkfarmboys....

Ain't nothin!
  • EndersShadow
    edited November 2016
    Options
    So the first one is done and in place.

Some pics from today.

We finally got the grill to work by using a Parts Express grill kit attached to the existing grill...

F7B1BCB8-4EAC-4787-8885-525B853B3ADF.jpg

We also realized AFTER WE DRILLED that it needs a 5/8 cutout NOT a 1/2... so THAT was a fun exercise.....

D98B9F01-DB3B-4CBE-87BB-B522C8760A52.jpg

Loaded up and ready to hit the road home!

C643B403-5B3E-467C-86BE-071D1562A0B9.jpg

In its final place...

AA4FCBFE-3941-4C9A-91A4-BA5ADBEC2068.jpg

I literally have had 1 minute to play with it tonight. I played a song I'm familiar with and while it had the same HIT, it was quicker, cleaner and IMHO deeper sounding than on my 15....

Which is good cause its going to be AT LEAST spring before I can buy #2......

On Friday I plan to re-run XT32 and see how it pans out.

Will prob re-run some REW graphs afterward to see how we are doing.

I also plan to run straight into the XLS bypassing the MiniDSP until I get a Balanced MiniDSP 2x4
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    @EndersShadow ,

Great project and a great result -- albeit not without the mishaps that seem to plague DIY projects, at least mine!

Well done!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Sweet! Should be fun dialing it in.
    BTW, is the gate keep the sub in, or prying hands out?
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • EndersShadow
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Sweet! Should be fun dialing it in.

Yup, hope to do that on Friday... maybe....

Now have to deliver the sub that WAS in that room to Ft. Wayne to its new owner, and the OTHER sub that was in the picture of my car to Remington, IN to its new owner, AND pickup the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 I just decided to buy for the loft since the really big sub is just that... really TOO big for that room...

And somewhere in there find time to vote, and then cry when the election results come in
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Got some video's I will post later but I finally got the amp to see RED lol...

Blackhawk down was NICE, but I wont lie, I needed MOAR lol..

Music on the other hand is INSANE if it has bass in the normal 30-40 range, I can KILL IT.

Its got more than enough for me so I'm very happy... Can't wait for #2....
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    If you keep adding subs, your gonna do a #2......be careful Dan.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    If you keep adding subs, your gonna do a #2......be careful Dan.
    I think that happening may be the only way to stop me lol...

PS one of these days we need to talk electrical. I believe I could benefit greatly from the addition of 3 dedicated 20 amp outlets for my theater.

One for each sub and another for my sources but need some guidance on running the wiring.

I will prob pay a licensed electrician to check my work and sign off on it.... but saving labor for running those outlets by doing it myself is the plan...

So I need some wisdom from the mage of electricity.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    No worries, D. Just gimme a call or PM when you're ready.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options

I believe I could benefit greatly from the addition of 3 dedicated 20 amp outlets for my theater.
    Go for it! I have 2 dedicated 20As further distributed & controlled by 4 Furman MiniPort 20s for high current gear. APC H15 powered by a separate 15A for the low power stuff.
    I will prob pay a licensed electrician to check my work and sign off on it...
    Smart & safe thinking. Electricity is unforgiving w/out prejudice of mistakes.

Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    I will prob pay a licensed electrician to check my work and sign off on it...
    Smart & safe thinking. Electricity is unforgiving w/out prejudice of mistakes.

I was also thinking for purposes of insurance if there was a fire, or more importantly when it comes time to resell the house whenever that happens.....

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    Oops! Clarification

"Electricity is unforgiving of MISTAKES & KILLS w/out prejudice."

Not my words BTW. Please be careful for yourself, those close (family), and to continue to inspire...(kick the rest of us off the couch!)

Tony

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    Oops! Clarification

"Electricity is unforgiving of MISTAKES & KILLS w/out prejudice."

Not my words BTW. Please be careful for yourself, those close (family), and to continue to inspire...(kick the rest of us off the couch!)

Tony

Trust me, I would only be RUNNING the wiring, NOT connecting it lol.....

IE I do the holes in the drywall/rafters to pull it all to where it needs to go going with 10 gauge or whatever the largest gauge is so I am not limited on what amp breaker I install based on the wiring.

The electrician would be the one actually connecting the wires at the outlet and the breaker since I'd likely also need them to balance the breaker box, though I'd prefer all 3 lines on the same side of the breaker as I've heard that if you alternate it can cause ground loop hum issues...