Do we have any vegans in the house?

Options

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    This thread should be closed and the OP flushed...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    @cnh skinny jeans can actually cause vascular problems that lead to reduced blood flow. Lower blood flow means certain parts don't fill up. Also, skinny jeans can put pressure on muscular structures that do things like compress veins so blood can't get out of places as easily. Also, the mechanism that causes things to stand at attention is the parasympathetic nerves releasing nitric oxide. If you have physiological problems causing reduced blood flow to that area then your parasympathetic nerves might be releasing enough go juice, it's just not getting to where it needs to be in enough quantities to get things happening.

If you're a smoker, the combination of the arterial narrowing that smoking causes in addition to the above mentioned issues from wardrobe choices could very well lead to issues. If you're a moderate to heavy drinker on top of all that, that bodes even worse.

I've even heard of people fainting because their skinny jeans were too tight. If it can affect the head you are supposed to be thinking with so much, it's not a stretch that it affects the head you shouldn't be thinking with too!

Meat, on the other hand, is not listed anywhere as a cause and a vegetarian diet of any kind is not listed as a cure.

Diabeetus and other weight/diet related issues are, though. But that's not solved by a simple diet. It's a necessary lifestyle change that requires more than just watching what you eat.

All very good points. I don't think PFB suffers from being over weight though. I mean....skinny jeans on a fat person ? That's a Walmart photo opportunity. Smoking, drinking, high fat diet all work to narrow the street for blood to flow down. You may not notice when your young, but as you get older it all takes a toll.

Funny how things never match up. I wish I had the knowledge I do now with the youth and vitality of 40 years ago. I'd be one dangerous Dago for sure. :)

I assume you have Google PFB, lots of info out there on treating E.D. naturally and medically. Use the internet for more than looking up used gear and sales of skinny jeans. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • polkfarmboy
    Options
    Guys it's not the skinny jeans lol, I did go to my doctor too and according to him nada to do with high blood pressure. I believe the medical term he had given me was "performance anxiety" lol.

He gave me a super low dose prescription of the blue pill but I am not going to hand that over at the counter! I do not believe in drugs and I think it's my diet and stress as I have never had any probs till the past year.

I think going vegan and that means no eggs milk anything of the sort may get back in good health. I plan on making changes in every aspect of my lifestyle.
  • tonyb
    Options
    I think your Doc was in a hurry to just write a prescription. Good for you on making some lifestyle changes, but make the one's that count, not the one's that are just trendy and hip to do so. Lots of misinformation out there so beware.

Personally, I know many vegans, not a one looks healthy to me. Going too far one way or the other isn't healthy either.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    @cnh skinny jeans can actually cause vascular problems that lead to reduced blood flow. Lower blood flow means certain parts don't fill up. Also, skinny jeans can put pressure on muscular structures that do things like compress veins so blood can't get out of places as easily. Also, the mechanism that causes things to stand at attention is the parasympathetic nerves releasing nitric oxide. If you have physiological problems causing reduced blood flow to that area then your parasympathetic nerves might be releasing enough go juice, it's just not getting to where it needs to be in enough quantities to get things happening.

If you're a smoker, the combination of the arterial narrowing that smoking causes in addition to the above mentioned issues from wardrobe choices could very well lead to issues. If you're a moderate to heavy drinker on top of all that, that bodes even worse.

I've even heard of people fainting because their skinny jeans were too tight. If it can affect the head you are supposed to be thinking with so much, it's not a stretch that it affects the head you shouldn't be thinking with too!

Meat, on the other hand, is not listed anywhere as a cause and a vegetarian diet of any kind is not listed as a cure.

Diabeetus and other weight/diet related issues are, though. But that's not solved by a simple diet. It's a necessary lifestyle change that requires more than just watching what you eat.

Points well taken. I did not mean to make light of tight! As any of us older folks know, as you age, PRESSURE on that area can lead to numbness over, let's say, half an hour or so (I refer to the pressure on the prostate area if one is riding a bike that does not have the latest and greatest seat for that, which mine did not). Continually numbing that area is NOT the smartest thing one can do-because of the very things you mention-you can do damage! So I've consulted with a good friend who is a lifetime biker (cyclist, that is!) and have made adjustments. You try and stay in shape! And look what it does to you! lol

PFB (I hate doing the at thing), anxiety is certainly a problem for almost anyone, and even at any age! If you start thinking too much, become preoccupied, and so on, well...it ain't going to happen. I suspect we've all been there at least once? It may also be a consequence of various tensions and contradictions in your relationship? Over time, things left unsaid, unaddressed, resentments, slights, or _______________ can dampen "desire" and lead to what seems like "performance anxiety" but really isn't. People drift apart and need to address that before intimacy can be re-established. But, hey, I'm not Dr. Phil here! Go see someone!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I forgot to leave this thought in my previous post in this garbage thread... does anyone else see the upside to PFB not getting it up?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Man with hole in pocket feel cocky all day...er wait...wrong thread...

If there is no medical reason for doing so, vegan diets do more harm than good.
    The species, homo sapiens, is an omnivore. Our bodies have evolved to require both plant and meat nutrients to survive. You can get enough of those nutrients from a vegan diet but the types differ and therefore cause more problems than they cause.

https://authoritynutrition.com/top-5-reasons-why-vegan-diets-are-a-terrible-idea/

But the same can be argued for the so-called "Paleo diet" as well.

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/welcome/features/2014-2015/06/20150603_paleo-diet.html

Fact is though that a balanced diet of both plant and meat is the best way to go. Things like processed foods, refined sugars, fatty meats...these are the real killers.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited September 2016
    Options
    SORRY SO MANY PARAGRAPHS, BUT I HAVE BEEN THERE . . .

We've been open to many different ideas for decades. Always looking for alternatives to the insane mainstream processed, sugared, bad fat diet treated by an endless and growing cascade of prescription drugs.

Not one of the 6 of us (4 adult kids) has taken a prescription med for a long, long time. We'd gone to a pretty much organic, gmo-free diet about 3 years ago and about 2 years ago we started to cut meat to once every 3 to 4 days.

(note we are weird in that we've cooked almost 100% from scratch every meal for 30 years, and most every night still have our adult kids and their boyfriends/ girlfriend at our dinner table)

Just over a year ago my now 24-year old daughter went 100% (authentic no animal products) vegan so I started buying vegan cookbooks so that at least a few meals per week could include her without a separate menu. Just for good measure we also eliminated almost 100% of glutens (wheat).

NOTE that a vegan diet is extremely HIGH in carbohydrates and natural sugars from fruit.

After a year of extremely clean eating, at 59 years old, 6' 2" I'd dropped from 232 to 216 and seemed stuck there.

I did not feel that great and my BP was trending upwards. I had blood work done and was shocked to learn that my cholesterol, while under 200 was ratioed upside down with HDL (good) way too low and LDL (bad) way too high, and my triclycerides (the biggest indicator of trouble) were high.

IMPORTANT PART: My normal traditional big-pharma family doctor tried to prescribe BP meds in May. I read the contraindications and promptly made an appointment with a Whole Body Health doctor associated with the Weston Price philosophy (westonprice.org).

Totally counter-intuitive to much of today's thinking, (but sensible when you consider human history), This diet eliminates almost 100% of sugar, limits carbs to a fraction and concentrates on fueling the body with healthy fats, protein and low carb green leafy vegatables. This is at the extreme known as a keto-diet, and when applied moderately, a paleo-diet.

I've dropped a pound a week over the last 18 weeks (wore a suit I bought at age 42 to my wife's 40th high school reunion last week). My BP has already dropped 20 points to 125 /75, my cholesterol ratio is almost to where they want it and my tri-glycerides are down about 30%. This is in just 18 weeks.

The diet eliminates everything that makes parts of your body inflamed, and that seems to be the root of all disease. You cleanse your liver and other organs and stop producing inflamatory insulin and cortisol.

THE BEST PART

- I eat (uncured) bacon and (organic) eggs EVERY morning
    - I eat rich fatty (open range grass fed) beef, ribs, chicken & organic veggies cooked in organic coconut oil every lunch
    - same good meats and veggies for dinner
    - salads with lots of meat and avocado
    - extremely limited (organic) dairy products & mostly almond milk.
    - a small amount of (probiotic) fermented food like yogurt and sauerkraut daily
    - bavarian yogurt and blueberries or strawberries for desert
    - snacks most any nuts, fat bombs, coconut, bacon!

I miss sugar a bit (Stevia is substituted) and I miss bread (almond, flax or rice flour bread are not quite as satisfying).

These are small prices to pay.

A vegan diet is good to cleanse for a while, but in the 3-5 year range you WILL develop deficiencies of some nutrients we need and a human's stomach simply is not designed to extract from veggies.

Also, while very healthy in many ways, cultures that rely heavily on vegan staples like rice, potatoes and beans have the highest rates of diabetes on the planet later in life.

Be cautious with all of the youtube vegan evangelists like Freelee the Banana Girl (and significant other Harley / aka Durian Rider), VegSource Jeff Nelson and his daughters, Doctor John McDougall, Dr Caldwell Esselstyn, etc. I love them dearly and have even met a few at conferences and Esselstyn lives here in Ohio, but they mostly live in palaces in Beverly Hills on their youtube royalties earned by pushing what has almost become a religion.

NOTE that Weston Price did his research on indigenous peoples around the world about 100 years ago before there was an agenda.

Before you dive in to veganism, read Lierre Keith's "The Vegatarian Myth", look at Dr. Axe (draxe.com) and study the westonprice.org site.

Sorry for the rant, but I have really dug deep into this for a long time. I now truly have the energy and stamina to let me say (at 198 lbs headed for 190 goal) I feel as if I am going to be 30 in January instead of 60!

(At 190 lbs I will add more carbs and balance back to the diet described in the excellent and in my opinion accurate points ZLTFUL makes above)
    Post edited by inspiredsports on
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • polkfarmboy
    Options
    Wonderful post inspired, my journey is not going to start overnight as it takes planning and its totally evident in your post. Thanks for the insight even though there is crude posts like johns its refreshing to have a conversation with the majority here and also amusing.

I am a couple of years from 40 and I really dont have any stress and I am 5,10 126 lbs, dont smoke, and hardly ever drink. No I dont have a man bun nor am I a hippy type of new earth love child. Diet is a science and there is so many conflicting articles and pieces of information, maybe 50 years from now folks will be saying things like " WTF is that guy eating etc" as diet and nutrition will be understood fully free from commercial influences.
  • Paradoxex
    Paradoxex Posts: 189
    edited September 2016
    Options
    SORRY SO MANY PARAGRAPHS, BUT I HAVE BEEN THERE . . .

The diet eliminates everything that makes parts of your body inflamed, and that seems to be the root of all disease. You cleanse your liver and other organs and stop producing inflamatory insulin and cortisol.

What exactly is inflammatory about insulin? My impression is that insulin by its very nature is anti-inflammatory, seeing as it rids your body of glucose in the blood, which is quite inflammatory.

5 feet 10 inches, and 126 pounds? By modern medical standards you are underweight...so be careful out there with drastic diet changes.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    Good, that's more meat for me. "Vegetarian" an old Indian word meaning "poor hunter."
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    There is one small problem with the science concerning diets. They tend to forget that there are people who still do physical labor for a living.

I work in the heat during the summer, so a little extra salt in my diet is necessary. Sugar also helps after an hour or so in attics exceeding 130 degrees, especially if you're up there for an hour or more. Not a fool, I come out of there to cool down, so it may be 20 or 30 minutes at a time. Still after the second or third one, before or after lunch, it helps a lot. People like me don't eat at a specific time every day.

Then there is that protein per gram count. I'm probably wrong, but I think that beef has about 3 times the amount of protein than beans. Could be wrong again, but I think protein is the body's fuel.

I'm kind of an old guy, so I remember when all these dietary guide lines started. I had a hard time believing them when they said margarine, oil and water, is healthier than butter, milk. They lost all credibility when they said 2% milk was healthier than whole milk, 4% cream.

Let alone eggs. Probably the closest thing to the perfect food on the planet.

Not saying there is anything wrong with increasing the veggies in your diet. Just kind of curious why so many people think meat is bad for them.
  • tonyb
    Options
    rpf65 wrote: »
    . Just kind of curious why so many people think meat is bad for them.

Because they were told that. Thing is to keep everything in moderation, you eat steak every night and your arteries will send you hate mail. Other meats are extremely low in fat, like Buffalo , which I just made a big batch of chili with.

Milk, if you think about it, is mother's milk for a baby cow, right ? It's designed by nature to do for a baby cow what mothers milk does for a human baby. Yet we don't continue to nurse children into their 50's. Least up north we don't...lol. Of course we aren't sucking it down like a baby cow either as we age. We have a little in coffee, maybe in a bowl of cereal or a glass with warm cookies. We aren't consuming it in quantities as a baby would.

You have to educate yourself on the good fats and bad fats, if your going to eat in excess let it be the good fats. Unfortunately the opposite is more likely the case. Combine bad fats with the amount of sugar and preservatives most consume and you have a winning combination for weight gain and bad health.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    https://youtu.be/gshddCOvsnQ
    Aerosmith-Gotta Get It Up

Make this your motivation song listen to it prior to intimacy it might help get you ready. All jokes aside at 5'10 126 lbs I don't think becoming a vegan is a good idea, perhaps cutting the meat consumption somewhat and adding more fish and veggies to the diet might do the trick.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    Options
    You're bmi is low... Not sure what you're hoping to achieve going vegan.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »

anorexia...
  • tonyb
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »

More money to buy and sell gear ? lol

Maybe he has his sights on those extra skinny jeans ?

Maybe just watching a dirty movie with the wife might help ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    I am 5,10 126 lbs

Holy C.R.A.P. dude!

Eat a cheeseburger. No, eat two!

126 lbs. at 5'10"?!? Your not secretly woman, are you? :p

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Maybe he is just cooking with too much meat tenderizer?
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    Psychiatric issues like stress and anxiety or depression that appear to affect normal life functions are best handled by talking to a psychiatrist in addition to a medical doctor. Being handed a blue pill by one of the above doesn't address the underlying issues.
  • polkfarmboy
    Options
    I just checked the Harvard BMI calculator and according to them I am 5lbs under normal? I have never been above 135 lbs in all my life and always been thin even when using weights. I do have a slightly slim frame with a smaller torso and I have a smaller head so many variables with the BMI calculator as its not an exact thing.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    I have a smaller head

You might regret saying that around here. :p

Seriously though, at your height and weight, Depending on where you look, you may be more like 15-20 pounds below the LOW end of the 'normal' range. 126 is lighter than 99% of the population in your age group at your height.

I'd seriously reconsider changing to a diet that puts you at risk of losing any more weight.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Any man 5'10" tall and under 160 have more issues than going vegan if his junk dont work.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Me and my wife is cutting out meat to help curb my limp biscuit.

Correct English will cure a lot of problems. Try:

"My wife and I are cutting out meat to help curb my limp biscuit."

That should do the trick. Good luck. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    He's a mere wisp of a man! 6'3" and 200-205 lbs here. I'm eating a 9oz filet of dead bovine as we speak. Though I lost about 2lbs of facial hair last week....
  • westmassguy
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    He's a mere wisp of a man! 6'3" and 200-205 lbs here. I'm eating a 9oz filet of dead bovine as we speak. Though I lost about 2lbs of facial hair last week....

Hope you're not like Samson Russ, loose all your strength
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options

and you still have a full beard.....
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options

Hope you're not like Samson Russ, loose all your strength

No worries, Dave. I take Centrum Silver in the morning. I'm Superman on coffee and nicotene.
    Willow wrote: »

and you still have a full beard.....

My 5 o'clock shadow shows up around noon.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Maybe your junk does work but it is proportional to the rest of you?
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Maybe your junk does work but it is proportional to the rest of you?

WAAAAAAA!!!!