Personal Home Theater build, updated whenever

1235»

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,935
    edited March 2019
    Thanks guys!

Can't wait to have the floor in...

Have been getting samples from everyone and this particular brand of spc flooring is a true tank. Only thing it failed was the knife test, which is the scratch in the pic... But all of the flooring I've tried failed that... Lol

bxe2fdqx6f0f.jpeg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,139
    Great job, you're motivating me to start mine.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    So make sure you don't take a knife to it or slide anything across it the doesn't have sliders under it.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • VR3
    Yep, on the same page. It can withstand 6ft drops of tools, pet proof, flame proof, water proof, can hit it with a hammer...

Would be good!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mac71
    mac71 Posts: 6
    Are you installing glue down engineered?
    How many sq feet are you covering?
  • VR3
    It is click together, I'm not a fan of glue down stuff.

Right at 1,000 sq ft
  • mac71
    Looks like mdf with laminate veneer in that photo.
    Have you looked at Luxury vinyl plank ?
    We install alot of it, its super durable and waterproof.
    LVP is click lock as well, no glue and has a foam or cork backing.
    Alot quieter than the laminate click lock.
  • VR3
    edited March 2019
    It is spc flooring.

It is a mix of lime and plastic core, hard as tile, durable as lvp

This is a break down of spc

0lj68v935drb.jpg

Mdf flooring is like throwing away money

I checked out wpc which is supposed to be nicer than spc, but it didn't have the durability but was quieter
  • mac71
    That looks like good product.

Vinyl tile, plank flooring has come a long way from the days of overpriced laminate junk.
    How flexible is the spc?
    Seems like it would work great on a concrete slab
  • VR3
    It's more rigid than the normal lvp products but with a proper backing or under payment is forgiving of imperfections and any gradual shifts in subfloor wouldn't be noticeable.

Would work great on a slab house.

Full agreement, I always like engineered hardwood until I saw the new lvp stuff... Never will touch wood or tile again.

The new spc wall panels in showers is equally amazing. Looks like tile, durable as tile, no grout!
  • VR3
    Gotta tell you guys.. I started this remodel of the kitchen and living room almost four years ago... Feels good to be wrapping it up! Lol

Granted I still need to finish up the hallway and do some work in the bedrooms still... But love the feeling of seeing a somewhat finished product!
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Agree completely.
    It’s addicting for me.
    We have done the master, kitchen, dining room.
    Also got the roof done

Now onto the driveway and landscaping
  • VR3
    Current state of the theater

4qlr5938za1p.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    Dang Trey you're really cutting edge! Like the new stand-up airplane seating you have a stand up theater .... bravo !!

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,188
    Nice......plant.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    Ah, who would know there was 4,000 watts of sound ready to blow your face off 😂
  • VR3
    I may bring the cubs in here for 2 channel while the Utopias are torn apart.. Hmmmm
  • VR3
    Not sure why it took me 14 years to buy a projector...

But 700 dollar investment today yields pretty good picture quality...

Not bad for during the day, excited to see it at night

fyo2suzcwo4z.jpg
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 883
    VR3 wrote: »
    Not sure why it took me 14 years to buy a projector...

But 700 dollar investment today yields pretty good picture quality...

Not bad for during the day, excited to see it at night

fyo2suzcwo4z.jpg

Using a TV before? I'm torn 50/50 on whether I should get a projector or TV for my HT... do you find the image quality is comparable?
  • VR3
    edited August 2023
    During day the TV is definitely more vibrant but I find the picture quality more then ok for watching tv

I'm sure at night the gap would be far different.

I also like the light is facing away from you versus lighting up the room.

We plan to watch a movie tomorrow night will update!
  • ChrisD06
    During day the TV is definitely more vibrant but I find the picture quality more then ok for watching tv

I'm sure at night the gap would be far different.

I also like the light is facing away from you versus lighting up the room.

We plan to watch a movie tomorrow night will update!

Please do update! If the contrast is good in the dark then you might have convinced me... I watch all of my movies in the dark (dedicated HT room).
  • VR3
    Fantastic image especially for the money, far superior for movie night

50zblmr6ouj8.jpg
  • ChrisD06
    Fantastic image especially for the money, far superior for movie night

50zblmr6ouj8.jpg

What's the projector model? The image looks great!
  • VR3
    Epson ef12

Thanks, I am more then pleased for the money spent
  • VR3
    So I had to send my mark Levinson amp for service. Borrowed a b and k amp from @Reagan, thanks bro!

So decided to take this opportunity to setup a setting in the ht to use the grandes for mains and the in ceiling mains as atmos surrounds.

I know the atmos surrounds wouldn't be used for everything.

Anyways I was playing around with avatar the way of water and man oh man....

Great fun for sure!

wq2gmf3ptmo5.jpg
  • ChrisD06
    Those speakers are... horrifyingly large.

They're honestly quite beautiful though. I mean, wow. I could imagine they sound good?

Also I'm sure you're far more experienced with HT than I am, but try placing carpet on the floor (like a rug) to minimize sound reflections!
  • VR3
    It's funny after you live with them for a while they start to feel normal sized but then when you need to move them they remind you they are 400 pounds each haha

I do enjoy them thoroughly, that was the first time I ran them in the ht and they did not disappoint! I usually use them strictly for 2 channel

I actually have a pretty dead room and don't find the need for a rug although I have had one in the past.

I truly hate soft surface and all forms of carpet

• ChrisD06
    It's funny after you live with them for a while they start to feel normal sized but then when you need to move them they remind you they are 400 pounds each haha

I do enjoy them thoroughly, that was the first time I ran them in the ht and they did not disappoint! I usually use them strictly for 2 channel

I actually have a pretty dead room and don't find the need for a rug although I have had one in the past.

I truly hate soft surface and all forms of carpet

I hate carpet too, it's such a pain to clean and it attracts a nice amount of allgerens. Rugs aren't as bad as you can at least roll them up and properly clean them every now and then.
  • VR3
    For sure. Between a 3 year old and a dog... Just not something I will look into anytime soon lol