Options

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    K_M wrote: »

Exactly! finally.

If they hear it in the studio, it is accounted for.
    By using the SDA "effect" one is effectively applying another fix onto something that was previously accounted for in the studio.

No it's not!

SDA's aren't fixing anything, they are exploiting a naturally occurring flaw in stereo playback.

Sheesh,,,,,,people are.................

Anyway

Dead horse, beat vigorously.

H9

^ BINGO ^
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options

Exactly! finally.

If they hear it in the studio, it is accounted for.
    By using the SDA "effect" one is effectively applying another fix onto something that was previously accounted for in the studio.

No it's not!

SDA's aren't fixing anything, they are exploiting a naturally occurring flaw in stereo playback.

Sheesh,,,,,,people are.................

Anyway

Dead horse, beat vigorously.

H9

There is still time to hit the "Edit" button and fix your post....quick!!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options

There is still time to hit the "Edit" button and fix your post....quick!!

There's nothing to edit, the information is correct. I just deleted out a less than flattering word so as to not hurt anyone's feelings.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    Options
    Derek, I agree. No one should abide by or assume what the engineer meant at the mastering/mixing stage.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Just enjoy the dadgum music.

I think I can agree with that philosophy !
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    ...and all I wanted was concept art. :*
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • heiney9
    Options
    I guess we just see it differently. I feel we are still worlds apart and my world is way more appealing than her world......lol.

I've seen the multiple PM's she's been blasting to anyone who will listen to her wrongful plight.

She hasn't a clue what she is talking about when it comes to SDA technology.

She even said Polk is trying to fix something that doesn't exist and it was a great marketing ploy by Matt Polk.

H9
  • heiney9
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I am not even commenting subjectively about how effective or how accurate SDA's are at musical reproduction. I get it, not everyone cares for them or even likes that type of presentation. That's fine, they aren't the end all be all of speakers.

But if you are going to argue about why they work or don't work you need to have a pretty ironclad grasp and she clearly doesn't. Myself and some other won't let that slide.

H9

The new SDA's are based on digital algorithms so that's an entirely other ball of wax so to speak.
  • heiney9
    Options
    Really, I'm being hostile because I stick to my convictions? I'm not PM'ing a bunch of random people and bashing thread posters behind their backs. To me that's being hostile and childish.

Anyway the intention is not to get this thread closed, so I've said all I can say.

H9
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Sooo Polk is making a new SDA speaker?

How about them big gulps?
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• heiney9
    edited March 2017
    Options
    All of the "surround" bar home theater units use an electronic version of SDA concepts.

When we visited HQ a few years ago( I guess more than a few years ago now) Matt and the team were continuing to develop SDA technology exploiting digital algorithms. Matt's idea at the time (before he sold the company) was to marry passive and active SDA concepts into a new line......it obviously never really came to fruition beyond the HT sound bars, etc.

H9
  • heiney9
    edited March 2017
    Options
    In talking with Matt at a round table, it was always on his mind. He was very passionate about it. Even had (4) LSi 9's in the front stage of his rig at his house wired from parts on a plywood board for his own personal SDA's. People who were lucky enough to hear it said it was very impressive. Run by the Threshold mono's that some lucky Polkie bought from him through Ken here on the forum not too long ago.

So yes, I bet there were a plethora of idea's iterations, etc.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Run by the Threshold mono's that some lucky Polkie bought from him through Ken here on the forum not too long ago.

That would be me :)
    i1jlzq1vawcf.jpg
    q9dwi4dh1de5.jpg

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    Options
    Sorry about the "Fanboy" comment truly!

Apology accepted.
    I think we are simply as odds with what is being done with the SDA effect.
    The final mastering or mixing stage was done with those flaws inherent to the sound and they used that as the determiner for the final sound.

No, our disagreement is due to the fact that I understand the limitations of the stereo recording and reproduction processes and you don't.

With all of the thousands of speaker models in existence, how can a recording engineer possibly make an accurate "adjustment" for how something will sound on every set of loudspeakers the recording might be played on? That is how we end up with 15 foot wide pianos when played back through SDAs. The recording engineer guessed about the sound stage limitations that the recording might encounter with conventional speakers and adjusted the sound images in the recording according to that guess. In other words, the engineer added a distortion effect (enlarged the size of sound images) that was not present in the original recording. When that bloated sound image is played back on SDAs (which do not have a reduced sound stage due to large amounts of interaural crosstalk distortion) it is further enlarged.
    Yes, SDA is not actually adding anything, but merely creating a false sound stage that was never intended. Same with how headphones work.

Now you are contradicting yourself. How could SDA create a false sound stage without adding something?

Everything you are saying about the SDA process is true of the compensatory recording techniques used to mitigate interaural crosstalk in conventional speakers. Again, SDA does not create a sound stage, it allows whatever sound stage is IN THE RECORDING to be reproduced more accurately. If the recording was naturally miked with little to no messing with the sound images, SDA will produce a naturally sized sound stage. If the recording was unnaturally miked, say with five microphones on the piano and then further enlargement of the piano image in mixing, then SDA will produce a HUGE piano image because a HUGE piano image was put into the recording.
    Since they mix and master with normal 2 channel speakers being used, that becomes the defacto standard as to what size the soundstage will be and where instruments will be placed.

No, the defacto standard is where would the instruments be placed in an actual performance and what would be the relative sizes of those instruments. The stereophonic sound stage is supposed to be a reproduction of the actual performance stage.
    I guarantee you, that Piano was 5 foot wide not 15 foot.

I agree. However, if you are hearing a 15 foot piano through SDAs, that is how it was recorded and mixed, rather than a distortion caused by the SDA process.

With my audiophile recordings that used natural miking and mixing techniques, my SDA SRS 1.2TLs produce life size images with naturally proportioned image sizes.

When doing critical evaluations of audio gear, one of the things I measure is the size, placement, and sound quality of sound images. I make lateral and aerial maps of the sound stage for comparison of the sound stage attributes with one piece of gear compared to the other piece.

This is an example of a sound stage chart for an evaluation done in July of 2014:

016RALDB25-Vinyl-7-5-14-s_zps5b0942da.jpg
    Lateral sound stage chart for "Take Five" 180 gram vinyl version. The +/- numbers indicate in feet how far ahead or behind the speaker plane a sound image was localized.

Notice that the sound image of the piano is not 15' wide. It is about 5' wide and the other sound images are proportionately and realistically sized.

The sound stage chart above is from this thread:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2065605

The chart corresponds to this equipment cabinet and speakers:

2CH-PostAnalog-s_zpstqt3to3e.jpg
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Run by the Threshold mono's that some lucky Polkie bought from him through Ken here on the forum not too long ago.

i1jlzq1vawcf.jpg
    q9dwi4dh1de5.jpg

You have a fire exit door in your listening room? ;)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

You have a fire exit door in your listening room? ;)

Yeah and don't you love they way I hung the TV.

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    BTW That was a Killer Setup, I'm so glad I was able to hear it and can only imagine how they must sound in a better room.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Jeez Louise! Is B-rock always this unsettled?
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Btw Russ ,you SDA 3.1TL's sound excellent when I got my ears on them at Skip's House! They were better then my CRS+'s... Hope your enjoying them!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • lightman1
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    Btw Russ ,you SDA 3.1TL's sound excellent when I got my ears on them at Skip's House! They were better then my CRS+'s... Hope your enjoying them!

Haven't seen them since December, Daryl. :( I should be back home by the end of the month for a few weeks though. Almost finished up in Indiana.
  • DarqueKnight
    Options
    The biggest issue would be getting over the Polk stigma that clouts 'audiophile' circles. Polk has a great house sound and that is forgotten by many when the hobbyists are just used to seeing the budget models at Best Buy.

Polk would have to create an upscale audiophile brand to distinguish itself from their mass market stuff...similar to the way Toyota did it with Lexus and Nissan did it with Infiniti.

• DarqueKnight
    Options
    I know it was a consideration with the old regime but they didn't want to do it because they were proud of the products.

I wouldn't consider the launch of a premium brand to be a dig against the mass market products.

I was told, by a very credible source, that Polk didn't want to commit the resources required to establish a premium brand and build a dealer network, both of which are more difficult to do now with the smaller number of brick and mortar audio stores. I don't know how well direct Internet sales would work for a non-conventional product like SDAs.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    edited March 2017
    Options
    probably irrelevant.
  • lightman1
    Options
    Perspective post, Doc.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I know it was a consideration with the old regime but they didn't want to do it because they were proud of the products.

I wouldn't consider the launch of a premium brand to be a dig against the mass market products.

I was told, by a very credible source, that Polk didn't want to commit the resources required to establish a premium brand and build a dealer network, both of which are more difficult to do now with the smaller number of brick and mortar audio stores. I don't know how well direct Internet sales would work for a non-conventional product like SDAs.

....in a down economy yet too. People, many more than before anyway, don't have the disposable income for higher end audio luxuries. Doesn't make good business sense to go down that road.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,787
    Options
    Yes. But how are people buying Sonus Fabers and Wilsons? The store that I've brought up before in Ann Arbor carries both lines and SALES both. So, if Polk makes a decent SDA speaker and it's priced right, I can see it saling as long as it's seen as a good product and decent value.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Options
    I would love to see it! Just not sure how to build a consumer base in our aging and shrinking hobby. Vinyl did so it can be done just needs a total and integrative marketing strategy.
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • heiney9
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Regarding conventional large SDA's, not the surround bar products....

It's a tough call because I see where DK's source is coming from. The expenditure to get it off the ground is immense. When I sold SDA's at the local high end store (which is no longer in business btw) the idea was to spend time with the customer demoing but also explaining the technology and its merits. 30 minutes minimum it seemed

Today's model of sales for items like these don't allow for that. I have found most consumers, unless extremely interested, aren't going to do the information gathering on their own. Meaning if it's too complicated to understand and no way to hear for yourself, it's a hard sale, which means Polk would have to put in a bunch of extra effort ie; $$$ to sell at a satisfactory level. There was talk (spit balling) of actual in home demo for a new line of SDA's.

I for one would not be as interested in a fully active 2ch SDA speaker. They would need to maintain a passive element augmented by an active element, that was Matt's thought at the time 7-8 years ago.

I'd rather prefer a fully passive SDA if they ever did them again.

H9
    Post edited by heiney9 on
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,787
    Options
    g0gceirtoma2.png

I'm going to this event in a couple of weeks. Couldn't Polk do something like this?
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited March 2017
    Options
    xsmi wrote: »
    Yes. But how are people buying Sonus Fabers and Wilsons? The store that I've brought up before in Ann Arbor carries both lines and SALES both. So, if Polk makes a decent SDA speaker and it's priced right, I can see it saling as long as it's seen as a good product and decent value.

There are still well to do folks out there that buy higher end stuff, but those folks aren't going to be looking at Polk products. These types don't necessarily put value for dollar spent as the top priority, they like brand recognition as a statement of their own personal successes.

Many of those brands have been in the game of higher end for a very long time. They have established their brand firmly, have dealers in place and marketing within the right circles. A new brand has more of a chance breaking into those circles from the start, like a new boutique brand, than Polk does. Polk has brand recognition, but not in the higher end circles, which makes it harder for them, and more costly.

I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, your trying to shoot for that middle ground. the area that's not lower end and not quite higher end. A middle class of audio in a way. Middle class, on the consumer side, is the one disappearing and struggling the most these days. Shooting for that target consumer base in my opinion is a losing proposition.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable