SDA

Options
D2Lo
D2Lo Posts: 352
edited August 2016 in Speakers
c6kh1fsl3pnn.jpg

I've been spending the week at our new labs in Baltimore. Hey fellas, don't be jelly, but take a look at what I was listening to today (yes that it me in the picture... not Don Draper):

tg6b01sybvhz.jpg

and because I know you will ask:
tc8fcimo8lua.jpg

At 33 years old these speakers sounded incredible. I know we have chatted about SDA in the sneak peak topic I posed last month, but I thought it would be great to document some of your opinions, what do you think are the pros and cons of SDA?

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Pros: Super wide and enveloping sound stage.

Cons: A lot of people don't have the room to properly setup a pair of SDA's, including places like Best Buy where you guys sell your speakers.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    ^^^ Unless y'all are doing it in a true "audio boutique" store....about 99.999998% of the market will not experience SDA as it should be.
    But, if y'all do some kind of crazyass limited line and let some of the "whales"(think vegas) and some of the die hards likes us have a chance to experience and maybe purchase a new offering of SDA, then I say have at it. But if the HMFIC (PM me for definition) is looking for mass market $ kill..... good luck.
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options
    I Agree with @Nightfall and @lightman1 . SDAs weren't considered out of this world expensive when they launched but still weren't cheep ether. That being said they were aimed at a market that most likely weren't still living in there first apartment/house. Size of the room is important and being able to accurately represent the SDA effect is everything. BRING 'EM BACK! I think everyone here will help chant: Do IT, Do IT.. .
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • Nightfall
    Options
    All this talk about new SDA's... I better start saving my pennies now. B)

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The argument that most people don't have the room to set up SDA's properly can be applied to almost all better quality speakers. So, how about we drop that from the discussion right now. The same goes for larger speakers. Take a look around, there are plenty of large speakers on the market and people buy them.

SDA offers the most realistic presentation possible of live music in your living room, bar none.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Got me curious B)
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The argument that most people don't have the room to set up SDA's properly can be applied to almost all better quality speakers. So, how about we drop that from the discussion right now. The same goes for larger speakers. Take a look around, there are plenty of large speakers on the market and people buy them.

SDA offers the most realistic presentation possible of live music in your living room, bar none.

100% agree on that. Each of my systems have been based on my room.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • lightman1
    Options
    My point was Polks stance on cost v level of market share. Not the size of the cabinet.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I wouldn't consider anything larger than 3.1tl, nor a horizontal cab design like the CRS's...just my HO, as I've seen the market interest for speakers
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    SDA loudspeakers are a lot like planar loudspeakers.The listening room MUST BE set up around the speakers and NOT the other way around. As a result they have extremely low WAF. That and the lack of good places that would have the space and people employed there who would actually have the knowledge of how to set them up and demonstrate them properly.
    I have been hooked on SDA's since before those CRS's were made and have owned now four pairs. I KNOW there are plenty of guys on here who have gone even further than me on this front.

They have a cult following for a very good reason. ;)

You CANNOT get this sound anywhere else..............
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    If I remember right those two tweeter versions are some of the least desirable models and the design was dropped in favor of the SDA output through the mid woofers only soon after. There are better versions to demo.

Pros: lively and realistic enveloping sound in the sweet spot between the speakers, nothing else like it on the market, could literally rock the house without a subwoofer, very open imaging allowing a listener to hear music in almost a three dimensional space depending the quality of the recording, combination of mid woofers and passive radiators provided extremely fast and accurate bass

Cons: SDA needs a dedicated listening space at least around 14 feet wide, best music quality confined to the sweet spot, cabinet construction was almost DIY level until the last generation, tweeters were good for the time but way surpassed by what is available today, the need for a dedicated room may mean they would exist only in the "man cave" in some homes, wide baffles required to get the dimensional effect right, difficult to demonstrate the benefits of SDA sound to young buyers who are living on their smart phones and ear bud headphones or inexpensive Andrew Jones designed speakers, matching a flagship product with a new product may be very expensive to develop and market, many audiophiles back in the day were not universally sold on the SDA idea, and there are still plenty of "old" SDA speakers in the market easily upgraded with Polk still providing replacement drivers.
  • lightman1
    Options
    And.. if you folks at Polk are considering a new "SDA" line......will it be a passive X-over network with phase cancellation or some form of electronic wizardry, DSP etc? Something from the soundbar line?
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    To get the best idea of what SDA speakers can do with improved components, if Polk is interested in doing some R&D, I would recommend getting access to a couple of versions fully modified by enthusiasts to benchmark.

I don't think cabinet size should be a deterrent. The CRS speakers can sound fantastic, and the LSiM707s I have for home theater use are just about as big as SDA 2.3TLs (just turned around). The LSiMs are nice accurate speakers, but just as their baffles are narrow their sound is narrowly focused compared to the SDA sound signature and the midrange and bass are not as well integrated as the old style midwoofer/passive setup.
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    The sound from my 30 year old SDA's is a pro enough for me.

The size is not a problem for me and the wife doesn't mind them either.

Cons are all over the place and quite valid.

I'll assume the quality of build of whatever it is, will HONOR the Polk Name!!!

I myself will personally keep my originals but if a "new" version comes available, I'd probably pull the trigger to have a set.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    Seriously new SDA's possibly? I'm running out of storage space as it is, time to buy a bigger country home with lots of space for SDA'S. Woo hoo!
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • oldrocker
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    ondkoiuwt1ll.jpg
    :o

Hmmm, something wrong with that picture...
  • lightman1
    Options
    oldrocker wrote: »
    ondkoiuwt1ll.jpg

Streaming audio laptop?????
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Gotta be the wood stove. Maybe it's a gas line fed...LOL
  • Nightfall
    Options
    What is that chimney looking thing behind it?

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    oldrocker wrote: »
    ondkoiuwt1ll.jpg

You ever notice that speakers look like their owners

I don't think he has one of those.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,894
    Options
    Interesting!! You have my curiosity...

All this talk about BestBuy, and setting up at a store is not important in this day an age, when is the last time you purchased a speaker because what you heard at a store? The last time I purchased a speaker from a store was in 2000. I didn't listen to my RTiA set up before I purchased them, hell there isn't a place near me that has them..

And there is more then enough people buying big speakers..
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,451
    Options
    Our local BBuy might have 1pair of Polk speakers. No subwoofers. IMO Thats sad. About 8 pair of Klipschs & 3-4 pairs of Pioneers. Not sure i understand why ?
    Randy/Maine
  • tat
    tat Posts: 159
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I think the Polk SDA CRS in particular would be a great re-issue product. They have tons of accurate bass which suits modern music (rap, alternative, latin) very well and have the added bonus of being small bookshelf if necy. As for the larger models i dont know so much. Sure I would want them...

Its no suprise to me SDA's have a devoted following of folks who grew up with them. Sound is closely linked to memory and people like to hear sounds the way they remember them. That wont do a thing for new buyers who seem to not mind horrible audio quality if its in a convenient format. It reminds me of the line in Kirk Douglas jazz trumpet movie, "you wont sell any records bc they dont care about your horn solos man, record buyers are mostly teenage girls who want to memorize the lyrics to their latest heart-throbs pop hit, [they dont give a damn about you harmonizing extentions]". Im afraid that may be the case with excellent 2 channel audio for many modern folks. Music was more than entertainment for past generations; it has become more linked to titillation recently imo. 7.1 Surround Sound definitely has a large "soundstage". It and giant powered subwoofers serve the titillation market quite well. Add to that the lack of patience or mechanical knowledge of the younger generations and the SDA's may not even get set-up correctly hence competing with 1 arm tied behind its back.

The CRS can fit into that market and knock people socks off in a small package. The larger speakers may not compete with those seeking titillation on a student budget, but rather be competing with Apogees and other products which intrigue the listener with the mystery of, "how did they do that...the quartet is in my living room!".
    When freedom is outlawed, only outlaws are free...
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Seriously new SDA's possibly? I'm running out of storage space as it is, time to buy a bigger country home with lots of space for SDA'S. Woo hoo!

I am always willing to buy those 2.3s back Steve... ;)

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Pros: Incredible, lifelike soundstage, width, height, depth etc.
    Cons: Size for some models, listening room space, affordable amplifiers able to properly handle the load.
    I think Skip hit the nail on the head, narrow towers.
    We know that Polk figured out the interaural cancelation cues/frequencies are limited in range.
    A tower, the size of the RTA-11s for example, could be reconfigured with a smaller, purpose-built mid-woofer, timbre matched, and mounted off to the side.
    You could even have a bubble or module mounted on the outside specifically for the dimensional driver.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • tat
    tat Posts: 159
    Options
    yes Berkshires exactly, GREAT IDEA!
    Some novel shape/design, dare I say wannabe sculpture architecture, incorporating dimensional driver(s), would be a great way to lure in the titillation seekers I was describing above.

Maybe it could even have some kind unique smartphone/mp3 (or whatever the latest devices are lol) station lol. Perhaps something taht would eat the smartphone like an ATM eats checks, that may make Polks the lust of every college freshman once again. (-: But then I wouldn't buy them.
    When freedom is outlawed, only outlaws are free...
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    A compact sub/sat system could be done easily too.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,092
    Options
    There are three concepts that com to mind to me. The first would be a sat/sub version that could be perhaps a touch smaller than the CRS line, maybe even offered as an in-wall option. The second would be a revamped 3.1TL, and the last would be an all out assault on the best speaker in the world, PERIOD!

The Signature Reference would feature a modern fit and finish and diamond tweeters... Nothing but the very best, and signed by Matt himself. No more than 500 pairs.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson