Rta12b for $125?????

Options
2»

Comments

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,546
    Options
    Oh, one more question. Is it normal to get most if not all the vocals from only one of the 6 1/2s ? Because of the common chamber it's hard for me to tell of both woofers are working.

The radiator is surprisingly in very good condition.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Also don't forget that they are marked left and right on the back. I gave mine away but I think there was a L/R designation on each serial number. There's also stickers that say left and right but they may not be there anymore, one of mine didn't stick anymore.

These are the only new replacements available

https://www.midwestspeakerrepair.com/mw-audio-mt-4115-1-inch-dome-tweeter

...otherwise keep your eye on eBay for an original Peerless tweeter with the hole in the center of the dome.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • CH46E
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The wife and kid is heading to the movies so I have some time to play with them.

I have extra tweeters on the shelf.

I have a pair of Polk SL5000's silk dome, a pair of paper cone JBL LE-25, and a pair of titanium dome JBL 035Ti. I think I will try one of them to see if it will play to rule out a crossover issue.

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    Options
    Did you lightly push in on the woofers to tell if there were any frozen woofers (also feel as you do this & feel for any scratchiness) ? Also you can lightly push in on the passive & hold it in & watch the woofers come out. If they stay out for 3-5sec's you have some nice air tight cabinets
    Randy/Maine
  • CH46E
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Yes, I did. None of the drivers have scratch nor are they frozen.

Right now I have a issue. The right channel seems to be high on vocals, but very low on bass. The left seems to sound better and with more bass. But the vocals from the right are pushing the imaging to the right.

I checked the schematics and the drivers all seem to be wired correctly.

The only difference is have found is the crossover on the back wall on the speaker inputs has newer caps than the one on the left. Left seems to be oem.

As far as the crossovers on top they are identical.

I tried the 035ti tweeters and did not like that at all. I put the le25s on there and they sound much better. Of course this is until I get the correct Polks.

The oem peerless are dead.

I'm going to re bridge and seperate the channels on my NAD to see if anything changes.

After that I'll disconnect the amp and run the yamaha rxa1050 to them.
  • boston1450
    Options
    You might wanna check here before doing any of the above !
    Randy/Maine
  • CH46E
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Problem solved. The plug from the lower cabinet to the upper crossover was slightly deformed and when I stared looking at the two it was clear that it had been forced on in the wrong position. Switched it around and badda bing, Bass in both speakers. And the Soundstage evened out.
    Post edited by CH46E on
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    The risers screw in from the bottom. When I re veneer my 12's I made new owns out of cherry. The other option is to spike them instead of using the risers.
    qbe2c2u6zlpe.jpg
    jmvsc6frl2zx.jpg
    9u43zo5k5cag.jpg
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    Options
    If you need some peerless tweets, I can probably find a pair in the closet for you.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• CH46E
    Options
    TNHNDYMAN wrote: »
    If you need some peerless tweets, I can probably find a pair in the closet for you.

Absolutely, just let me know how much!
  • TNHNDYMAN
    Options
    ^ PM me your address and contact info. Prefer to talk on phone to work out details before shipping. How's $60 shipped sound?
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Faustin wrote: »
    The risers screw in from the bottom. When I re veneer my 12's I made new owns out of cherry. The other option is to spike them instead of using the risers.
    qbe2c2u6zlpe.jpg
    jmvsc6frl2zx.jpg
    9u43zo5k5cag.jpg

So gorgeous
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • boston1450
    Options
    So EyeCandy :)
    Randy/Maine
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Options
    It also looks like your tweeters are the newer upgrades so maybe a wire is loose.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    I vote for spiking them as oppose to adding risers.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • CH46E
    edited August 2016
    Options
    ^ PM me your address and contact info. Prefer to talk on phone to work out details before shipping. How's $60 shipped sound?

As soon as I figure out how to PM. Lol I might be to new or not enough posts to PM?????
  • codycatalist
    Options
    CH46E wrote: »

As soon as I figure out how to PM. Lol I might be to new or not enough posts to PM?????

You using a mobile device or desktop bud?

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • CH46E
    Options

You using a mobile device or desktop bud?

Mobile. I either use my phone or a tablet. I can't remember last time I used a pc at home.
  • TNHNDYMAN
    Options
    CH46E- sent you a PM with details.

• CH46E
    Options
    CH46E- sent you a PM with details.

Replied. Thanks man!

On a side note, the JBL LE25 tweeters I put in actually really sound good. The 035ti sounded horrible in there.
    I know some of you are probably shaking your heads and I don't blame you. Lol. But I had to try these speakers. Looks like I will have the correct tweeters soon enough. I hope the sound even better when that is done.
  • CH46E
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I've been listening with the wife to Billy Joel, pink Floyd, Elton John, Mozart, and Morgan James. These Polks, even without the right tweeters hAve just became my favorite speakers. I may even sell the JBLs, something I thought I'd never do. I can't wait to get the sda srs 2 in here.

If you don't know who Morgan James is check her out on youtube. I like her better than Diana Kroll.

The imaging is so dead on that I keep looking at my receiver and walking up to my center channel to make sure it is not on. Lol.

I can't tell you how much I am enjoying these!
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You haven't heard them yet. Imagine how much better it gets with the upgraded tweeters and fresh capacitors instead of the ancient dried-out units in there now.

I discovered two weeks ago that my cousin has a pair of 12Bs; looks like I'll be re-capping them next time I visit. The joy never ends.
  • codycatalist
    Options
    Schurkey wrote: »
    You haven't heard them yet. Imagine how much better it gets with the upgraded tweeters and fresh capacitors instead of the ancient dried-out units in there now.

I discovered two weeks ago that my cousin has a pair of 12Bs; looks like I'll be re-capping them next time I visit. The joy never ends.

I wish I had a cousin like you! I should probably just teach myself to solder. I can't imagine how much better my stock 2Bs can get.

• CH46E
    Options
    I've read that the SDA,s should not be toe in. What about these rta12b. Toe or no toe?

Thanks!
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Personal preference. I preferred toe in, tweeters pointed to each respective ear and crossing just beyond the back of my head. Center image was much more solid and it didn't reduce the width of the soundstage too much.

• CH46E
    Options
    nsoumdqa7g5v.jpg

Sure miss thoes JBLs. Wish i had kept them. But the 12b have become my fav!
  • Nightfall
    Options
    The friend that I gave my 12Bs to temporarily moved into a small apartment while he and his wife look for a house so the speakers are actually in my garage right now. I keep meaning to swap them into my stereo to see if they are as good as I remember. I think I'll do that tomorrow.