Guess what I just snagged for under 2K!!

13»

Comments

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    I think you mean Audio Munchausen By Proxy Syndrome...

Poor, defenseless gear, suffering at the hands of PFB!

:'(
  • jwb0007
    jwb0007 Posts: 62
    edited July 2016
    In the famous words of Roberto Duran, "No mas!". Am sure the comments about PFB have much longer history and familiarity than my brief time here. But, even after accounting for his role in the catastrophe, I still feel sorry for the result and for his deep disappointment. Waste and destruction of hopes, great enjoyment, and wonderful equipment. There is no joy in that. Or humor. Or any kind of satisfaction. For me at least.
    Jim
    St. Louis, MO

AVRs: Yamaha RX-A2030, Onkyo TX-NR646
    Speakers: BIC FH6-LCR x 3, BIC FH-65B x 2, Polk RTi6 x 2, Infinity Primus P362, Klipsch KSF-C5
    Subs: Polk PSW505 x 2, Polk PSW10, Klipsch Synergy Sub-10
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,332
    @jwb0007...

His schtick here has been going on for 8 years now and he has learned nothing in that time.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,220
    If the seller does not have the original packing materials, then extra communication, pictures, insurance, and usually money is needed to insure the transaction is safe.

PFB has been warned many times before so my only condolences goes to the gear that was lost.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • jwb0007
    ^ txcoastal1, good thinking. Candidly, not having done much shipping myself, I probably would not have thought of all that. The few times I have, I let UPS pack and ship, and they (center channels) arrived in the same condition as when they left. May have gotten lucky?
    Jim
    St. Louis, MO

Speakers: BIC FH6-LCR x 3, BIC FH-65B x 2, Polk RTi6 x 2, Infinity Primus P362, Klipsch KSF-C5
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,976
    You snagged styrofoam peanuts and mangled speakers for under 2k.... Sounds like a great deal.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,578
    jwb0007 wrote: »
    ^ txcoastal1, good thinking. Candidly, not having done much shipping myself, I probably would not have thought of all that. The few times I have, I let UPS pack and ship, and they (center channels) arrived in the same condition as when they left. May have gotten lucky?

If the shipping packs and ships it, then the ability for you or the recipient to file a claim for damage and have it paid is VERY high.... Which means since it costs Fed-Ex/UPS MONEY, they are more likely to at min PACK it better...

The drivers can still drop, kick, roll, etc the package, but again since they are going to be liable for making sure the item was "packaged appropriately" they are more likely to do it right....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,894
    UPS stores are the worse for packing.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,157
    In my experience if you pack and ship things poorly there is almost no chance the insurance will pay either party. The burden falls on the seller and if he was negligent, then the insurance will not pay. The seller has the burden to refund the money.

I know because I found out the hard way. Also if it powers up then it's not considered damaged even if it doesn't work properly.

FEDEX, USPS, UPS insurance is a scam. The packing requirement are so stringent that if follow their recommendations a nuclear bomb couldn't damage the shipment, hence you don't need insurance and since they know their guidelines result in almost zero damage, it ends up being a cash cow for them.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • jwb0007
    H9, every time I see your avatar, I snicker. Shouldn't, I know. But . . . boys will be boys!
    Jim
    St. Louis, MO

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,157
    edited July 2016
    Granted in my experience the cdp I shipped was damaged (internally) by UPS. No visible signs of damage and it powered up. It wouldn't load or read or play a cd, but that didn't matter. I even wrote a long letter explaining what happened. They simply told me they had no way to verify it played when I sent it and since there is no physical damage and it powers up, they denied the claim.

I got the broken unit back and refunded the buyers money and it was a lose, lose for me. Sold the unit for $15 as a parts unit. ANd UPS never refunded the insurance premium I paid.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,592
    I sold an exhaust system for a Kawasaki ZX11 Ninja on eBay to a guy in India. I insured it for the $300 I sold it for. Never made it to the buyer. Box came back with baling twine wrapped around the open box. Pipes were ruined. Took me two years to get refunded by USPS. They denied me at least five times but I was persistant . I have defended PFB in the past. But not this time. Show us photos of all the damage or it did not happen! Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,543
    I cannot feel bad for PFB. He seems to get a disproportionate amount of damaged products which means the problem is with him.

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,535
    I can't remember what I sold to PFB (Squeezebox?), but he got my shipment undamaged---that isn't to say I wasn't sweating it out! LOL!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    The bragging rights about how great a deal you got don't start until it arrives safely....the title of this thread proves this.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,594

I see only one solution at this stage of the game:

AsSw8yj.gif
    Sal Palooza
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I think your nickname needs to be "damaged goods".
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD