Moving, Lost & Found, Broken Stuff and Cable Companys

Options
gimpod
gimpod Posts: 1,793
Moving

My caregiver who has worked for me since 2005 about 6 years ago her and her husband started planning on buying a house with enough room for a separate place for me so I wouldn’t end up in some state run crap hole nursing home. So I'm moving in with them next weekend. The really cool part is the house has an unfinished 24ft x 26ft (I have now around 980 sq ft) room we can make into a small apartment that I get to design so it's going to be based around a 16/17ft x 11ft sound/living room and a roll-in shower. It’s also rent free.

For all you nay-sayers this is the same lady who took care of my dad for the last 3 years he was living with me while he was going bat **** crazy, also found him a really nice adult family home and visited him every week until he passed. She did all this and never ask for a dime! and over the years as my own family has grown distance (to be polite) her and her husband have become more like family to me than my own. She even puts up with my endless prattling on about you guys, audio and computers until she starts talking about make-up then I know it's time to shut up or change the subject.

Lost & Found

This one chaps my a$$, About 2007 I got a safe and a new wireless router and at the time I didn't have anything that used wi-fi so I disabled the wi-fi in the router and took the antenna off it and placed it and the spare safe key somewhere I was sure I wouldn't forget which I did because that was the last I saw of them until yesterday. Now keep in mind I’ve been looking for these for years especially the safe key (I just replaced the router with one of these monsters). I swear I’ve looked in every box, drawer, cabaret, nook & cranny I could think of to no avail I’ve even moved once so by this time I figured it’s gone most likely got tossed last time I moved. Keep in mind I’ve been living in the same sized apartment for almost 30 years in the same complex (B-102, B-105, B-103) so were going through everything figuring what to keep and what to toss (some of this stuff hasn’t seen the light of day in 15-20 years).

So the question is where was the safe key?. It was in the bottom of an A&W Root Beer mug that was sitting on my end table that I've sat next to everyday in my sound/living room!. I have no idea how it got there, I could have sworn I checked that mug a 1000 times.

Broken Stuff & E-bay

This one pisses me off! It’s been awhile since I’ve played any vinyl and nobody touches my rig but me so I have no idea how this happened but when we went to pack up the turntable I noticed the hinge was broke. This would not be a big thing except that my turntable is a Technics SL-5 linear tracker with the tone arm in the lid (see pic). I know it’s not anywhere close to a hi end turntable but I like it, it sounds good and it’s fully automatic so I don’t have to touch the tone arm and as luck would have it there are set of hinges on e-bay for sale and a couple of beater SL-5's cheap that I could steal the hinges off of. I really don’t want to buy a new table as I would rather fix my old one and use it to digitize all my vinyl as the older I get the more I’m really thinking of going all digital less hassle.

ud2i3dnun646.jpg

Cable

What can I say it’s all screwed up. I tried to transfer my cable set up to the new place so I called Comcrap yesterday and they told me to have my caregiver put an order in to stop there service and then I could schedule an appointment to hook my stuff up and run the extra line, So I called them back today and now there telling me they can’t even schedule an appointment to hook my stuff up until the old ones are disconnected which won’t happen until the 27th. So it looks like I’m going to have to go without cable and internet for a couple weeks. I’m going to call them back on Monday and raise a stink and even play the disabled vet card if I have to.

And yes I have no shame.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain

Comments

• scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    Options
    These too shall pass brother.
    Thank you for your service, and god has blessed you with that wonderful lady and her husband, hope you have many great years in your new place.
    humpty dumpty was pushed
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Hang in there Tony. Glad that wonderful couple entered your life. Enjoy your new man-cave, err apartment.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Your caregiver and husband are angels.
    They also enjoy your company obviously or their offer would have never awarded.

All-in-all since they have the extra space, it saves time and effort in the long run to have you closer.

This is inspiring. Happy for you Tony

And yes, you pull the disabled vet card and use it....there should be no shame only honor
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Salute! Off yer a$$ and on yer feet, soldier!
    ;)
    And a tip o' the hat to the c-giv. An angel among us.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Your caregiver & husband are something special! But I think you must be too as they choose to make you a part of their family. Glad to hear this and thanks for sharing Tony.

The key is just another example of the mysteries of life. Let us know how the room turns out B)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Congrats Tony, new digs....maybe some new gear, and great caregivers. Only thing missing is the BBQ grill....and the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders. Well....there's always Christmas. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,793
    Options
    You've been blessed with some wonderful people in your life.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    Options
    @F1nut answer your phone! :D

Thanks guys, I really do know how lucky I am to have these people in my life. When I tell people at the VA that I've had the same caregiver for 11 years they look at me like I'm crazy, apparently it's not uncommon for most guys to go through at least one a year.

These people really are like a daughter and son-in-law to me.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain