LS90 crossover frequencies and mods

Options
I have a set of LS90 speakers. I have upgraded to the revised crossover. Does anyone know the frequencies of the crossover? All the calculators I tried don't fit the design.

I have put in mills resistors and Mundorf Supreme caps, lined inside of cabinets,spikes. My friend has B&W 683 speakers and I put Mundorf silver gold and oil caps and Mundorf resistors in. Expensive about $1000 for them. They have WAY more detail than mine. My speakers sound nowhere near as good as his.

My plans were to build the crossover like the VR3 ones on here. If I use Mundorf silver gold oil caps in place of the Clarity Cap will I get the same level of detail as his 683's? Should I be looking at a different crossover design or different speakers? Very little info out there on these speakers. My biggest thing I am looking for is the high end details.

Mike

Comments

• thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    Options
    I dont think you want to use oil caps in your speakers but I could be wrong. Here is a link to the upgrades I performed on my LS90s.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/141407/ls90-tweaks-and-upgrades/p1
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    Options
    Painting a peach to look like an apple will not make it taste like an apple.
  • kc9hqv
    kc9hqv Posts: 3
    Options
    I am going to order some of the parts for the rebuild I will order the caps later. BTW the $1000 for the caps was for all of them for both B&W speakers. The 10uF were $250 each. I did everything to my speakers as was done to yours.
  • mopar paul
    mopar paul Posts: 277
    Options
    B&W are "brighter" than many speakers and while some consider that to be detail, it really isn't the same.
    I've heard people say the sl2000 tweeter has more detail when all it has is a frequency peak.
    I don't think what your trying to achieve is entirely possible.
    Are you using the same equipment for your comparisons?
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Buy a pair of Klipsch, swap all your gear for Emotiva, and replace all cables with Monoprice. You'll be rolling in high end frequencies.

You're not going to get what you're looking for with the LS90's. If you like the B&W's buy a pair of B&W's.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • kc9hqv
    kc9hqv Posts: 3
    Options
    I replaced just the resistors. Took out the Mills and put in Mundorf. The highs were more natural sounding. I tried both my Carver 55X amp and Emotiva XPA5. The Carver was better sounding. More bass, highs were not as bright as the XPA5.

Anyone else ever try Mundorf vs Mills resistors?
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    kc9hqv wrote: »
    Anyone else ever try Mundorf vs Mills resistors?
    Mills tend to be a little warmer. The Mundorf MOX are longer, and sometimes difficult to fit on the board. Both are much better than the original Sand-Cast Resistors.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    I would go the "Different Speaker" route.

If you prefer the sound of his speakers, that much over yours, you obviously have a preference for the B+W sound.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Painting a peach to look like an apple will not make it taste like an apple.

Agreed, there is only so much you can do to enhance a speakers design and build. Maybe you just prefer the B&W sound, buy some and see.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable