anyone really figure cash spent

Options
I don't know if people are willing to air out on how much cash and labor one puts into modding a set in my case a pair of '87 2Bs. Now some of the figures are actual, some estimated, some w/o counting shipping and 2 because of business over the site can't be mentioned but here's my tally so far.

Purchased speakers---$50
Oxalic acid,gloves,masks--$15
Sandpaper,stain, clear poly, foam brushes---$20
Clamps and drill bit--- $9
Larry's Rings' prices are given --$60
Armaflex Gasket--$8
BH-5--$20
Dynamatt--Free
X-Overs by VR-3---?
RDO-194tweeters $102
12 gu BJC Belden 30' for both runs and new I/C--$18
Neutrik/Speakon sets- $12
I gather this comes to $307 not counting some shipping costs the x-overs again done by VR-3 and Dave doing new terminal cups, binding posts,harness, installing the Neutrik/Speakon connectors and bases.
So clearly over 5 bills for what started out as a pair of bone stock great condition '87 SDA 2bs from a moving sale to what's becoming the famous rabbit hole worth more than my car at this point. You go try figuring it out w/ the bigger sets, more labor, more every thing w/ the wives looking on in some cases. Are we nuts to do this ?????
2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I paid $350 for a pair of SDA SRS 2s in excellent shape before I fell down the rabbit hole. When I get them back together in a couple of weeks, I'll have around $1200 into them. I hope it's worth it.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,446
    edited March 2016
    Options
    This is pretty insightful, Lew. Lots of little things here most people probably wouldn't consider before beginning these types of projects. There certainly seems to be a lot of process costs associated with this.

I haven't taken on one of these projects yet, but have started collecting parts. I've been have been meaning to do some work, myself, on a set of Monitor 10's. Even considered stripping the finish and veneering them. Some would look at this and think it's a lot to spend on old speakers. I look at it and think, this is a cost of this hobby, not so much simply another "material acquisition", as would be just going out and buying a set of speakers off the floor. The satisfaction of these types of projects for me goes beyond the cost. How can anyone put a price on that part of it, you know what I mean?

Others' answers may be different, maybe especially so in cases of onlooking wives :), but I'd say, yes we are nuts, but we're all nuts together, so who cares :)
    I disabled signatures.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    Options
    I have over $2000 in my crossovers alone.. :#

Here's the kicker, Ben did my upgrades on my stock boards after I purchased these, then Ray was kind enough to make sure I got a set of his custom boards, so I sold the crossovers Ben did, and by this time I was comfortable doing my own work, so I built a new set on the boards I received from Ray with Sonicaps, Mills, and Solen inductors..

Then I got a hair up my a$$ to build a point 2 point after Trey started doing his work, so I copied his idea, and built the ones I am running now with Clarity MR's, Duelund Resistors, Janzen, and Solen inductors..

So this is my third set of crossovers in my 1.2tl's

I still have the crossovers I built on Ray's boards, and will probably never let them go... B)

So the money I have spent in all three sets?? I am crazy!! But I am loving what I have, and the experience in doing the work has been fun..

The nice thing is if I ever decided to pick up another set, I have the crossover work already done.. :D
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Between crossovers and veneer, I spent well over $500, including the little things, for my Lsi9. I don't have the tally exactly, but just adding up the major components (caps, resistors, Delrin, solder, veneer and supplies) gets me most of the way.
    It was a good thing I got an incredible bargain to just buy the speakers, Because total cost now puts me darned near the original retail figure.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,698
    Options
    Cheap therapy this hobby.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    I've spent a college tuition. Oooffaaa!
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Over $600.00 in parts alone for my 2As, and about half that for my CRS+s. I've got walnut veneer already purchased for both, just don't have the time or energy at the moment.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    Options
    I don't care about what I've spent, I care about how it sounds when I listen.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Ha, Agreed!!!
  • msg
    Options
    I wish I could be a hippy free spirit like you Jes.
    I'm more like Paul Bettany's self-flagellating Opus Dei character in the Da Vinci Code any time I get anything audio related.

ahem. sorry. that sounded dirty.
    I disabled signatures.
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    Scott, I like your responses on both your posts. The 1st one not having put much thought into doing what you've done but finally getting to accounting it.Then reacting like I'm doing now w/ the f%*king cavalier attitude of Jesse who it seems could afford anything he pleases is really insulting to those who just scrape by to do this. Zero apologies here.
    Now with saying all that, I like so far what are reasonable answers to a very simple question.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • msg
    Options
    Hehe, just kidding around up above there, Lew B) I think this is a good post, because a lot of the time I just get a wild hair, and go all in without really having full knowledge of what I'm getting myself into cost and time wise, and then, boom, next thing I know, I've gotten much deeper into monetary investment over the time I've involved myself in a project, but in too deep to turn back (audio in general?). Who knows, I may have decided against the project in the beginning, had I done all the work ahead of time. I may be speaking out of turn, but I think Jesse's more controlled, patient, and detailed in his research before beginning a project, so he knows what he's getting into and what to expect for results ahead of time. I'm just a spazzy opposite to that, lol
    I disabled signatures.
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    I still haven't reached the bottom of the rabbit hole but I can say I,m smilinin all the way :p
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    When I had my 10's and CRS+'s done I had Dave use the best ingredients like sonic caps, and Cardas binding post as I did not want any regret later. but been to long and I don't know how much in all I spent. To much trouble to go back and figure it up but yes for me it was worth it. I bought some dynamat xtreme & black hole 5 to do what I could on my end.

So I know the cost was up there, but hey my Baby's were worth it B)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,048
    Options
    I bought a pair of 10As for $125 & have *easily* three times that in crossover bits, Larry's rings & all the other usual suspects.

The point is, for *me*, is that I have gotten that much enjoyment, and much more, for my education & entertainment dollar.
    Look at in a different way.
    You take you & your squeeze out on the town for a really good night.
    You could easily spend that much.

And both are worth whatever you choose to spend.
    Because, frankly, it's about being happy. Ain't it?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Wouldn't this thread somewhat be relevant on all audio hobbyist purchases to listen to better tunes

Can you really put a dollar figure to enjoyment....please don't tell my wife :#
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Realistic
    Realistic Posts: 355
    Options
    No way man, if I start to add it up and my wife sees it, well lets just say I would be a memory to you all.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Lew, you missed the boat again.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    Options
    I've never went all out on a pair but what I've spent in the last 40 years on this hobby would probably make me sick. God only knows how much I have invested in vinyl alone.
    Would I do it all over again ??
    You betcha I would. I love it.

P-man
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    Options
    Lew, you missed the boat again.

That's O.K. I miss that boat all the time. :)
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    There goes Jesse pissin off someone again, come on Lew let Jesse spread the wealth, when you got it like he does you might as well spend it o:) it's amazing how much money one invests in this hobby, I for one don't want to go back and recalculate the money I have spent. The problem is you always want more.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • leftwinger57
    Options
    Jesse, I owe you an apology. You do see from most of the answers I just wanted to get a feeling if people did/do realize how much is spent on something that can start out as a perfectly decent sounding set of vintage speakers. Addiction, absolutely not, obviously everyone here has a house,electric, tunes and all the crap in life to get by. So it's not all -encompassing and ruining lives. Just the opposite it's a freaking expensive hobby and I was kinda taking a poll on what lengths dudes/dudettes go to fill this one niche of modding speakers.
    Now, me and you oil and water, I like to ramble (pretty obvious) you have the most succinct 1 line answers and delivery style from anyone I'd ever heard from and for some reason just drives me nutty. What can I say, I'll refer to you for anything if your still willing...Lew
    Oh, just a reminder I was not prying to all's investment in their entire worldly possessions, just modding a set of vintage Polks period...

• leftwinger57
    Options
    Oh sh$t,I did forget one thing..Happy Easter for all you guys who do celebrate it.

• msg
    Options
    When-He-Walks-Away-From-Explosion-Slow-Motion-Rundown.gif

I disabled signatures.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    Are we nuts to do this ?????

Not when I sit down to listen to them. I love my originally 2a and now converted to 2BTL's - I don't have an exact tally anymore but I'm in for $500+ on mine with the driver, crossover and inductor changes - and I'm very pleased indeed to have done the work.

I still haven't found another brand/speaker that I like as well for the $500 or so that I have in these.

VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    Options
    Sing along now " Ya Think My Speakers R Sexy" oh yeah :)dvtvdtdt0m1u.jpeg
    Ive come along way since this picture & worth every penny
    Randy/Maine
  • F1nut
    Options
    Happy Easter, Lew.

President of Club Polk

• leftwinger57
    Options
    Thank you...

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Not too much. Yet. Around $550 and 26 hours of driving to get my 2B's where they are.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    Options
    Between the 3 sets of 1Cs (2 for spare parts), 4.1TLs, New Open reel tape (10.5" ATR MDS36) and vinyl I don't even want to think about it. Thank god I'm not married if I was I'm sure I would be dead or divorced by now. >:)
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain