FedEx and SMc brought me some fun today.

Options
124»

Comments

• PolkMaster1
    PolkMaster1 Posts: 847
    Options
    Ive put the amp in its resting place.

d8atpulbfw0g.jpeg
    Statistics show that 98% of us will die at some point in our lifetime.

The other 2% will work for WalMart.
  • PolkMaster1
    edited April 2016
    Options
    And of anyone likes power amp p o r n....

fuwwp8vb9ocs.jpeg
    5s2d3vl4e5qk.jpeg
    l8l8qcutl18g.jpeg
    j5vhrznfp8j9.jpeg
    vgttgdibypgz.jpeg
    agw34dtpafhj.jpeg

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,658
    Options
    Hey guys... I need your help on something.

On the back of the unit, it says do not connect

Thanks!!!

I'm offended...
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    Options
    I asked you a few times what speakers you'd be using with this but got no answer. Sda's may be a problem if that's your intention.

The DNA 500 is basically 4 amps in one, 2 amps per channel in a bridged mode basically. I'd call Steve and ask him before hooking it up.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • PolkMaster1
    edited April 2016
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    DNA 500 vs. the M508.....I'll bet the farm on the McCormack....with one hand tied behind it's back. :)

Post up some impressions when you have that puppy warmed up. BTW, what speakers are you using this with ?

Hmmm... we will see. I have been highly impressed on what the M508 has been delivering these past few years - especially with the upgrades, so I do have some skepticism if the DNA500 will beat it. Notice I said if it will beat it - not match it sonic wise. But from everything I have read about McCormack Power Amps, they have all been positive reviews.

I do admit that the McCormack uses lots of caps which influences me to believe it is a high performer - one cap per transistor impresses me a lot.

I will be driving the Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL Speakers with this.

Quote taken from page 3. But SDA is not my problem - yes, know well about the amps not having a common ground can be an issue. I can disconnect the SDA connection and use the speakers in stereo mode only until I figure out how to use the amps with SDA.

I received an email late last night from SMc that my preamp, even if it uses common ground, should not be an issue.

So now I feel safe continuing to hook up my McCormack Power Amp. Damn this thing is huge!!!! Not in height, or width, but in depth!!!

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    Options
    If it was me, I wouldn't be satisfied disconnecting the sda cable, your essentially removing the element that makes them a great speaker.

There is a work around, but my brain is only half functioning at the moment due to lack of coffee. Shoot F1NUT or Westmass a PM and ask them.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    Options
    the dreadnaught?
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • PolkMaster1
    Options
    I have the dreadnaught

• PolkMaster1
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hmmmm...

Turned on the unit for the first time this afternoon and let it warm up for an hour.

So far - from my initial impressions of playing 30 year old + music on it for the past couple of hours - although it does sound a bit different from my Onkyo Grand Integra, I notice a bit more depth with the unit.

No difference in detail or in layering between the 2 amp units. Bass detail is not noticed, but that may be due to the age of my music programming I am listening to.

But I will know more when I start playing broadcast TV and more up to date music later on.

My initial impression is not to say that this amp does sound impressive, it does. But it is not to the point to say that it is a clear winner head and shoulders over a 30 year old Onkyo Grand Integra Power Amp with the modifications I made. Right now, it looks like a photo finish between the two amps - with reasons to like both.

These are just my initial impressions. I will know more as I play more programming later on tonight throughout the weekend.