FedEx and SMc brought me some fun today.

Options

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,911
    Options
    DNA 500 vs. the M508.....I'll bet the farm on the McCormack....with one hand tied behind it's back. :)

Post up some impressions when you have that puppy warmed up. BTW, what speakers are you using this with ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    If your still around I have to ask you about the autograph and the Audio Gold writing. Did you ask for that or does S.Mc sign all his upgraded gear ? I also saw in your sig that you run a NAD 1020 pre/amp. I had a 1020a and clearly up to this point between the 2 Onkyos, a nutty Sony ES-2000 surround processor, and the Dynaco Pat-4 I have now the NAD beat them all. The topography of your amp compared to my Adcom is night and day w/ a lot more going on. Good luck w/ the amp... Lew
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    edited April 2016
    Options
    He signs all of the upgrades AFAIK. And in multiple places. Though I didn't ask, I assume it is partially for resale value to identify the upgrades, to help authenticate a sale and value. Plus I am sure Steve is proud of the work he does. I know he honestly cares about providing the best audio product he can, and puts in countless hours of listening and research to further the listener's experience.
    And yes, I love my 1020, especially after its upgrades. Night and day. Plus it provides a headphone amp I use a lot, and thoroughly enjoy. It beat out an Acurus RL-11 and a NAD 116.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • tonyb
    Options
    Fed Ex will be delivering some fun for me on Tuesday.

It's Tuesday.....what....no review yet ? LOL
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • PolkMaster1
    PolkMaster1 Posts: 847
    edited April 2016
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    DNA 500 vs. the M508.....I'll bet the farm on the McCormack....with one hand tied behind it's back. :)

Post up some impressions when you have that puppy warmed up. BTW, what speakers are you using this with ?

Hmmm... we will see. I have been highly impressed on what the M508 has been delivering these past few years - especially with the upgrades, so I do have some skepticism if the DNA500 will beat it. Notice I said if it will beat it - not match it sonic wise. But from everything I have read about McCormack Power Amps, they have all been positive reviews.

I do admit that the McCormack uses lots of caps which influences me to believe it is a high performer - one cap per transistor impresses me a lot.

I will be driving the Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL Speakers with this.
    Statistics show that 98% of us will die at some point in our lifetime.

The other 2% will work for WalMart.
  • PolkMaster1
    Options
    Fed Ex will be delivering some fun for me on Tuesday.

It's Tuesday.....what....no review yet ? LOL

Haa haa. I am monitoring the delivery status since I am not at home. The unit will be delivered to my neighbor. I should have it when I get home tonight.

• PolkMaster1
    Options
    11tsteve wrote: »
    He signs all of the upgrades AFAIK. And in multiple places. Though I didn't ask, I assume it is partially for resale value to identify the upgrades, to help authenticate a sale and value. Plus I am sure Steve is proud of the work he does. I know he honestly cares about providing the best audio product he can, and puts in countless hours of listening and research to further the listener's experience.
    And yes, I love my 1020, especially after its upgrades. Night and day. Plus it provides a headphone amp I use a lot, and thoroughly enjoy. It beat out an Acurus RL-11 and a NAD 116.

Yes - from the pictures I seen from my unit, Steve McCormack signs it in the back of the unit, and on the power supply inside the unit.

• tonyb
    Options
    It's going to be a different sound that what your accustomed to. The bass will have more layers to it instead of that one note thump. Steve uses more smaller caps instead of the coke cans because he feels they deliver better layering, imaging, transient response and dynamics. Most who have had their amps would agreed to that too.

It's a monster, hope you have room for it and a 20 amp circuit. Running it on a 15 amp circuit isn't going to give it the juice it needs imho.

Let it warm up for half an hour before playing, take some time to get used to that new sound and post up some honest impressions.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • JPete
    JPete Posts: 295
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Since most everyone participating on this thread is a current or previous McCormack owner, I have a quick question. Do you hear the PS caps discharge immediately upon shutting the amp down, or is there some delay?
    Lexicon RT-10, Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Polk SDA CRS+, SVS Sub
    Schiit Modi, Luminous Audio Axiom II, McCormack DNA-1, Digital Phase AP 2
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends
  • 11tsteve
    Options
    Mine has no audible sound when powered down. But it stays on 24/7 unless bad weather or I leave town for more than a day.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • tonyb
    Options
    JPete wrote: »
    Since most everyone participating on this thread is a current or previous McCormack owner, I have a quick question. Do you hear the PS caps discharge immediately upon shutting the amp down, or is there some delay?

Shouldn't be audible, if it is might be time for a refresh or check your cabling for a bad cable or bad ground somewhere.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • JPete
    Options
    Interesting. I still power mine down... I know.
    I hear what I assume are the caps discharging, very similar to my 555, but immediately after I hit the switch. 3 quiet but audible pops. 555 does it, but only 1 "pop" about 45 seconds after shut down.
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends
  • JPete
    Options
    I pulled the lid when I first got it just to take a look. All the caps looked good. But what the hell do I know? I emailed Pat at SMC about the power down noise, but haven't gotten a response yet.

• Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm the same on 24/7 or bad weather or gone out for an overnight..
    I actually e-mailed Steve and was told by him to leave on 24/7 or in the situations I described..
    Mine has no audible sound when powered down. But it stays on 24/7 unless bad weather or I leave town for more than a day.

ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • PolkMaster1
    Options
    It's going to be a different sound that what your accustomed to. The bass will have more layers to it instead of that one note thump. Steve uses more smaller caps instead of the coke cans because he feels they deliver better layering, imaging, transient response and dynamics. Most who have had their amps would agreed to that too.

It's a monster, hope you have room for it and a 20 amp circuit. Running it on a 15 amp circuit isn't going to give it the juice it needs imho.

Let it warm up for half an hour before playing, take some time to get used to that new sound and post up some honest impressions.

Here is an update that everyone has been waiting for.... the power amp was delivered about a couple of hours ago. YEAY!!!! So I will have a toy waiting when I get home tonight.

Yup, I heard all about the McCormacks giving lots of layering in the bass department and dynamics (my Onkyo is good at that too!!!). So I am excited to try it out when I have everything hooked up.

I hear layering in the bass department in one set of speakers that is equipped with woofers and passive radiators using the Onkyo Power Amp. Another set of speakers that uses powered subs built in - I don't hear layering in the bass with the Onkyo, but the bass does sound impressive just as much.

So I guess I will find out much more comparisons tonight when I set up my new McCormack DNA-500 Platinum or Deluxe Power Amp.

• tonyb
    Options
    What speakers are you going to be using with that beast ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • PolkMaster1
    Options
    Jhayman wrote: »
    I'm the same on 24/7 or bad weather or gone out for an overnight..
    I actually e-mailed Steve and was told by him to leave on 24/7 or in the situations I described..

Any reason why to leave the Power Amp on 24/7? I am not accustomed to leaving anything on 24/7 with the exception of my wifi and refrigerator. And I believe that the Power Amp sucks up a lot of juice in idle mode - someone confirm please.

• tonyb
    Options
    Matter of preference is all. Some leave them on all the time so it's warmed up and ready to go. Some also feel if your a constant flipper of the on/off switch, it would be less wear and tear having the caps constantly charging and discharging.

If your preference is to leave it off when not listening, then do so, you won't hurt anything.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options

Here is an update that everyone has been waiting for.... the power amp was delivered about a couple of hours ago. YEAY!!!! So I will have a toy waiting when I get home tonight.

Yup, I heard all about the McCormacks giving lots of layering in the bass department and dynamics (my Onkyo is good at that too!!!). So I am excited to try it out when I have everything hooked up.

I hear layering in the bass department in one set of speakers that is equipped with woofers and passive radiators using the Onkyo Power Amp. Another set of speakers that uses powered subs built in - I don't hear layering in the bass with the Onkyo, but the bass does sound impressive just as much.

So I guess I will find out much more comparisons tonight when I set up my new McCormack DNA-500 Platinum or Deluxe Power Amp.

Can't wait to hear your impressions of it.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • PolkMaster1
    Options
    Hmmmmm... I received a package today. I wonder what could be in it. Can anyone guess?

• PolkMaster1
    Options
    mv12zy9cfv07.jpeg
    tlqgkjxnluil.jpeg

• PolkMaster1
    Options
    What could it be?

• PolkMaster1
    Options
    h7xc4p6hymjh.jpeg

• PolkMaster1
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Anyone?

Come on guys and and give an audiophile a helping hand here.

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Fancy toaster oven????
  • 11tsteve
    Options
    if you send it to me, I'll help figure it out.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Nice pajamas, BTW.....
  • PolkMaster1
    Options
    :D:D:D

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    Jelly - party of one! I think you're gonna be happy!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• PolkMaster1
    Options
    Hey guys... I need your help on something.

On the back of the unit, it says do not connect to common ground switching systems, which you can see in the picture. I have no idea what this means.

I believe my preamp unit negative teminals are of common ground. Will i hurt the unit if my preamp is considered common ground?

Thanks!!!