FedEx and SMc brought me some fun today.

Options

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    Options
    JPete wrote: »
    Are you going to try the lid-off idea? Kinda like driving a car without a hood. I don't know if I want to do it, but if you have a good experience let me know.

Not really, most tube amps have no lid. Only downside I can think of is dust would collect in there with no lid. Switching to a carbon fiber lid might be the ticket.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Yes to both of you. I will try just about anything.... I was dealing with a colonoscopy and other procedures and just haven't had the time. From what I was told, the CF lid will be around $180... so if I hear anything, I think I could swing it... since the amp is always powered up, there is no way I would run lidless and SMc does not recommend it.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • JPete
    JPete Posts: 295
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

Not really, most tube amps have no lid. Only downside I can think of is dust would collect in there with no lid. Switching to a carbon fiber lid might be the ticket.

Dust collecting, yes that's a downside, although would be easy to blow out often with the lid off. A small, curious cat crawling into the chassis is my main concern. If it really improved though... Could probably find the cat another home.

I've not had experience with tube amps, but haven't seen any with massive circuit boards exposed. But again, no experience with home audio tube amps.
    Lexicon RT-10, Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Polk SDA CRS+, SVS Sub
    Schiit Modi, Luminous Audio Axiom II, McCormack DNA-1, Digital Phase AP 2
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends
  • SugarmillMan
    Options
    Wow! It looks like you've got some serious equipment there. Have a ball.
    Fronts:B&W 804 Diamonds, Center: B&W HTM2 Diamond, Surrounds: PolkAudio LSi F/X (4)
    Subwoofer: HSU VTK3-MK3
    Electronics: Onkyo TX-NR 3010 receiver, Parasound Halo A31 amp, NAD T975 amp
  • PolkMaster1
    PolkMaster1 Posts: 847
    Options
    Since reading this post, I am wondering if I should upgrade my power amp to a McCormack. The ones I see listed on Audiogon are the DNA-250, 500, and 750.
    Statistics show that 98% of us will die at some point in our lifetime.

The other 2% will work for WalMart.
  • breal74
    breal74 Posts: 324
    Options
    Since reading this post, I am wondering if I should upgrade my power amp to a McCormack. The ones I see listed on Audiogon are the DNA-250, 500, and 750.

The short answer is yes. I was using a Parasound HCA 2205 before I bought my DNA 250 and the difference in clarity, bass slam and soundstage were huge! The McCormack is a far superior amp.
  • PolkMaster1
    Options
    Thank you Breal74!!! The irony is that I was not looking for a power amp until I seen this post, and loved the cleanness and layout of this power amp.

• breal74
    Options
    Honestly, neither was I but a used DNA 250 showed up at a local shop and was just begging me to take it home. I'm very glad I did!
  • 11tsteve
    Options
    I too had a Parasound....1200 mkII...and loved it for its power, and I would never say a bad thing about those amps.
    But this 100W/200W DNA 0.5 is a whole new level, more so after the upgrades. Realism and musicallity...depth, detail, and space. Of course the money I have spent is far above the Parasound, but even the the stock $550 McCormack was a very noticeable improvement.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    Options

That's what I started out with the DNA-250 I loved but I found a DNA-500 for sale locally and it was begging me to buy it so I did, I sold my DNA-250 for more than I paid for it..nice..
    breal74 wrote: »
    Honestly, neither was I but a used DNA 250 showed up at a local shop and was just begging me to take it home. I'm very glad I did!

ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • PolkMaster1
    Options
    Thanks to this thread... I am purchasing a McCormack DNA-500 Platinum Edition. I hope to have it by next week.

I hate this site because everytime I come here, I always end up spending money.

Damn you guys!!! Damn you!!! ;-)

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Thanks to this thread... I am purchasing a McCormack DNA-500 Platinum Edition. I hope to have it by next week.

Nice, can't wait to hear your thoughts on it.

This site has made me spend a lot as well, but I have a better system than I ever would have without it.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • PolkMaster1
    Options
    Both statements are so true!!!

• breal74
    Options

Whoa! You should be set for life with that amplifier. Congratulations and nice purchase!
  • PolkMaster1
    Options
    I hold you personally responsible Breal and Steve for parting me from my money!!! Damn you both!!! :D

Note that I never heard McCormack Amps before until I read this thread the other day, and after seeing the interior pics that Steve posted got me hooked.

Since then, I have seen interior pics of the DNA 500 - there is a lot more going on in that amp from what I have seen.

The seller called me today to let me know that he received my check and that as soon as it clears, he will ship it out to me.

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options

The seller called me today to let me know that he received my check and that as soon as it clears, he will ship it out to me.

You should have him ship it to me.... B)
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • PolkMaster1
    Options
    vmaxer wrote: »

:D:D:D

Nahhh... I think I can handle him shipping it to me.

• tonyb
    Options
    Dang, nice score man. Your gonna love that beast. If I'm not mistaken, it takes a 20 amp line to bring the goods.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • breal74
    Options
    I hold you personally responsible Breal and Steve for parting me from my money!!! Damn you both!!!

And I hold Tony responsible for my purchase of my DNA 250, but I am more than happy I listened to him!
    vmaxer wrote: »

:D:D:D

Nahhh... I think I can handle him shipping it to me.

I think we should do a Backert style Polk tour so we can all enjoy your new amp for a week. ;) What do you say PolkMaster1?
  • tonyb
    Options
    I think that's a good idea, except for Polkmaster who probably would never see his amp again once it hit Chicago. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • 11tsteve
    Options

Both my apologies and my congratulations!
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • PolkMaster1
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Well, I hope the McCormack can deliver the goods. Its going up against a 30 year old Onkyo Grand Integra M-508 Power Amp. I had replaced the small polysteryne caps with Jupiter Foil Caps and replaced the binding posts with Cardas Binding Posts. It had increased the soundstage and adds clarity when compared to a stock M-508 Power Amp.

I love vintage gear, because it was so solidly built, and engineered back then. A power amp like the Onkyo to be built today would cost over $2000.

For a 30 year old amp with upgrades - it has nice clean sound coming from it. It has never disappointed me for the 5 years I have had it. So it makes me wonder how well the McCormack DNA-500 Platinum will sound in comparison. Note that the McCormack I am receiving has a birth date of 11 years old.

Note that I am a big fan of round film caps sounding better over the standard squashed drop capacitors that is used in audio gear.

• PolkMaster1
    edited April 2016
    Options
    breal74 wrote: »
    I think we should do a Backert style Polk tour so we can all enjoy your new amp for a week. ;) What do you say PolkMaster1?

I think I would first have to enjoy my new power amp for a week to see how I like it.

See above about my current power amp.

• Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    Options
    Wow I'm jealous a Platinum Edition, should be an Amazing amp..
    Very Happy for you, the way the Canadian Dollar is right now it would cost $400,000 to upgrade my DNA-500, lol
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • 11tsteve
    Options
    Well, I hope the McCormack can deliver the goods. Its going up against a 30 year old Onkyo Grand Integra M-508 Power Amp. I had replaced the small polysteryne caps with Jupiter Foil Caps and replaced the binding posts with Cardas Binding Posts. It had increased the soundstage and adds clarity when compared to a stock M-508 Power Amp.

I love vintage gear, because it was so solidly built, and engineered back then. A power amp like the Onkyo to be built today would cost over $2000.

For a 30 year old amp with upgrades - it has nice clean sound coming from it. It has never disappointed me for the 5 years I have had it. So it makes me wonder how well the McCormack DNA-500 Platinum will sound in comparison. Note that the McCormack I am receiving has a birth date of 11 years old.

Note that I am a big fan of round film caps sounding better over the standard squashed drop capacitors that is used in audio gear.

I feel I should respond to this, but don't know how.... I have not heard that Onkyo, but what truly vintage gear I HAVE heard always sounds rounded and soft. The McCormack is NOT that, but at least mine is very pleasing in the tonality department.
    It seems to me that the McCormack will outdistance the the Onkyo, but nobody knows except your ears. My impressions, and from the discussions I have had with the tech at SMC.... I would have to spend much more than the $2100 I have into it for a new amp of the same sonic and build quality.
    I was assuming maybe you bought the DNA 500 on the Gon, but the one I was watching is still there. You say yours is 11 years old.... did it start life as a Platinum, or was it upgraded?
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • PolkMaster1
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Can you describe what you mean by vintage gear sounding soft? At 55lbs, my Onkyo Amp feels anything but soft. Built like a tank!!!

• 11tsteve
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Not about weight or build....sounds maybe a bit overly warm. I have heard a handful of vintage receivers, I have an old NAD.... the sound is pleasing and inviting, but not as detailed or spacious. I am in no way implying your Onk sounds anything but stellar. Just what I have heard.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • PolkMaster1
    Options
    Ah OK. Well the Onkyo model I mention is a power amp, not a receiver. It can dish out good detail without any rolloff in the extreme frequency - which is where upgrading the binding posts helps in this regard.

The cap upgrade to rounded film over the standard polystereynes offer a wider soundstage, so the Onkyo - especially their Integra and Grand Integra lines are Onkyos high-end line of that era. They are well engineered products, so when you upgrade some of the parts that they used in the unit, there is a noticeable improvement in sound.

• 11tsteve
    Options
    yeah... I am aware of what the hear is and would love to hear one sometime. It is well respected amplification.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • PolkMaster1
    Options
    Fed Ex will be delivering some fun for me on Tuesday.