AUDIOGON or AUDIOGONE??

Options
Toolfan66
Toolfan66 Posts: 17,040
edited November 2015 in 2 Channel Audio
Man it sure seems to me that it has really thinned down compared to what you could find in years past..

IMO.. Audiogon is now Audiogone... it $ucks....

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,913
    Options
    It seems to have been taken over by dealer demo's and the DIY crowd. What some think their used gear is worth gets pretty ridiculous, you just have to scout out the deals though as with any audio site.

Look for stuff that hasn't sold, or the ad expired. Then offer them up a price well below their ad price, betcha they take it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    I have made a few purchases on Audiogon, and I have never had a problem. I've tended to buy from the dealers who sell on Audiogon, but have made a few purchases from individuals.

I, too, have noticed that the number an variety of items seems to have diminished recently.

Do you think sellers are going elsewhere -- e.g., eBay, the various audio marts?
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,552
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Listing prices are high when you consider there are many avenues for that now that do not charge. You do get more exposure with agon, but others are growing in popularity.

Yup, USAudioMart, CL (since you can use sites like searchtempest to search geographic areas), and other free sites are killing em.

Personally I dont deal with Audiogon... rather put it on eBay if I have to pay for a service......
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tonyb
    Options
    I do think though on Audiogon, you have a better chance at a problem free transaction than on Ebay. Too many scammers on Ebay for my tastes.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,419
    Options
    Outside of this forum, I actually prefer Ebay for general audio sales. The audience is huge which offsets the high selling fees a bit because selling prices may be higher with more interest and bidders. I have bought and sold on Audiogon, but not for the last few years. Used to be I'd search for something like "Spendor" or "Harbeth" there and see a couple dozen sets of speakers for sale. Now it's more like one or two. For high dollar stuff with only a few people who may be interested in it, Audiogon is fine and a better option than Ebay. My big annoyance with Audiogon was receiving insulting lowball offers and idiots who couldn't take no for an answer, like offering $600 for an amp listed at a fair price of $1200 which sold for that much on Ebay.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,146
    Options
    I have purchased many fine products and never had an issue. Know what you want to pay and most are willing to deal. Happy Customer for sure.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Options
    Most of my experience on audiogon has been positive - both as buyer and seller.

The only bad experience was when I was selling - and the buyer was whiney and demanding updates almost on an hourly basis for delivery status and threatened to report me when I didn't respond for a day.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    I do think though on Audiogon, you have a better chance at a problem free transaction than on Ebay. Too many scammers on Ebay for my tastes.

This is one of main reasons i've use 'Gon. Even after reading all of the PFB threads....
    With all of my transactions, i've even had multiple emails back and forth with most of the seller/buyer for general experience with the product. Something a little more intimate than the Ebay way of "Holy ****!...someone bought this thing. Get it out the door before they change their mind. NO REFUNDS!"
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,533
    Options
    For me, audiogon is still #1. I have bought all my gear and sold there. No issues. Bought the Strads and the Boulder there wihtout issue.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,489
    Options
    Used to buy & sell frequently on Audiogon. They raised the fees. But then they re-did the site & it tanked. Gee, that sounds familiar. I don't even look there now except every once in a blue moon and haven't bought anything in years. Here, UsAudiomart, & CL is where I buy & sell these days. Will buy off eBay, but I've sworn them off for selling. Too much risk of getting screwed with their buyer-centric policies.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,378
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My last pre amp purchase was through Audiogon. My last sale had some way off the wall low ball offers that didn't deserve a response. I've tried US Audio mart but it didn't result in any sales.

I still like to talk to folks before plopping down cash or selling something.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Audiogon is great for me. I have had no issues with purchases above $10,000. For me to involve myself in a transaction like that on ebay would make me very uneasy.

They are also updating the forum so it's going to be real cool
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 8,016
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Audiogon is great for me. I have had no issues with purchases above $10,000. For me to involve myself in a transaction like that on ebay would make me very uneasy.

I'm glad you've have a good experience, but honestly I would MUCH rather make those major purchases on ebay than audiogon. You have a much bigger company backing you, and as others have stated, their policies are very buyer-centric.

What's audiogon gonna do if the sale goes bad, ban the seller? And your out thousands of dollars? Paypal is what saves you then hopefully.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • DarqueKnight
    Options
    For the types of things I look for, Audiogon is great. My last two experiences as a seller, in 2012 and 2014, were very positive.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Joey_V
    edited November 2015
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »

I'm glad you've have a good experience, but honestly I would MUCH rather make those major purchases on ebay than audiogon. You have a much bigger company backing you, and as others have stated, their policies are very buyer-centric.

What's audiogon gonna do if the sale goes bad, ban the seller? And your out thousands of dollars? Paypal is what saves you then hopefully.

The legitimacy of the seller is ultimately what I am buying into. I talk to the guy and I send his name for a background check. I also vet the guy too.

If something's off, the transaction does not proceed.

What audiogon does is puts together like minded individuals with similar interests and typically similar financial levels. With ebay it's a mish mosh... And I have like 200+ feedback on ebay so I'm pretty saavy.

I usually don't do paypal, if I'm doing a transaction - it means I have no fear of the seller and in that case, I'm doing a bank transfer. Call up my banker and she does the rest. No charges and no fuss.

But you're right, if something goes south, there is no protection. It's something you need to understand prior to jumping in.

But again, the hi end community is small... people know people.

An example - I sold one of my speakers for $18500. This all went behind the scenes and everyone involved was vetted and known. No one had any issue with anyone and we trusted each other. The guy cut me a personal check and sent it my way. I could've just never shipped the speaker but I am trustworthy so I did my best to make sure everything went without a hitch.

The guy didn't even ask for pictures, just trusted me that it was a 9/10 on audiogon scale.

Smoothest sale ever.

The item sold within 2 hours of getting the word out. And the transaction was smooth as silk.

When you're dealing with good individuals just as you are, there should be minimal issues.
  • tonyb
    Options
    People buy used cars every day for thousands of dollars with no warranty from people they don't know.

Joey is right though, you have to know who your dealing with on the bigger ticket items. I wouldn't sent 18k to some DB on Ebay, that's for dang sure.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Yes I bought my sequoia with 52k miles on it for 17k on Craigslist. The difference? I took the car to a mechanic who went over it carefully. I didn't do nearly the amount of work Joey did for the speakers with background checks credit checks and what else. I have for kids and a full time job, sorry I do not have that kinda time for a speaker purchase lol...but if you do more power to ya.

Why wouldn't you spend that kind of money on eBay? They are a massive corporation who protects the buyer often to the detriment of the seller. That's my only point.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • tonyb
    Options
    Why ?

Because of the scammers that hang out there. Sure, they have some legitimate sellers, both private and corporate, but the vast majority of every problem I've ever heard about came from Ebay. Maybe that's because of the sheer number of transactions they do, I dunno, not worth the risk to me or the time vested when things go south.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rooftop59
    Options
    I understand not wanting to deal with ebay, My point is that you have far less protection on audiogon or one of other optiosn like usaudiomart. If, as you say, something goes south on audiogon you have NO recourse unless you used paypal, and then you are essentially relying on the some company as you would on ebay, except there you technically have two layers of protection (ebay and paypal).

I am not a big fan of any major corporation,including ebay. I am just saying that the facts are you have a much better chance of not getting screwed as a buyer on ebay than audiogon and other outlets, that's all.

But at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what either of us think...;-)
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • tonyb
    Options
    I would disagree mainly because the clientele on dedicated audio sites are much better than on Ebay. Comes down to the people you deal with, no corporation is going to save you from the low life's of the world.....especially when it comes to money.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    I've had a few sour transactions on eBay, but because I always use PayPal. I've always received full reimbursement, including shipping, etc.

On Audiogon, I started down the road to purchase a pair of B&W 800s from a guy who sounded OK, but required a bank transfer through a bank in Ireland.

My wife examined the guy's pictures of the speakers on Audiogon, noticed that the tile on the floor in the pictures was just like the tile in another listing on eBay. I contacted the lister on eBay, asked hime about the picture,s and he confirmed that his pictures had been heisted and, shall we say, "repurposed."

When I told the Audiogon lister I wanted my wife's nephew to audition the speakers before we closed the transaction, he said I had to pay up first.

Did I pay up? Of course not.

Several other transactions on Audiogon have been fine.

My point is similar to Joey's, you have to do your homework and be very careful on Audiogon.

You can be a little "faster and looser" if you use PayPal on eBay.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Joey_V
    Options
    I've had a few sour transactions on eBay, but because I always use PayPal. I've always received full reimbursement, including shipping, etc.

On Audiogon, I started down the road to purchase a pair of B&W 800s from a guy who sounded OK, but required a bank transfer through a bank in Ireland.

My wife examined the guy's pictures of the speakers on Audiogon, noticed that the tile on the floor in the pictures was just like the tile in another listing on eBay. I contacted the lister on eBay, asked hime about the picture,s and he confirmed that his pictures had been heisted and, shall we say, "repurposed."

When I told the Audiogon lister I wanted my wife's nephew to audition the speakers before we closed the transaction, he said I had to pay up first.

Did I pay up? Of course not.

Several other transactions on Audiogon have been fine.

My point is similar to Joey's, you have to do your homework and be very careful on Audiogon.

You can be a little "faster and looser" if you use PayPal on eBay.

Yeah man.... I would not bank transfer to Ireland, that's a nono.

I remember WLD helped me locate BW800D2 from a guy in Houston.

We could not agree on terms because he would not allow us to meet in a neutral location... I wasnt going to go to someone's house with 20K on me and get held up or beat up and kicked out. Forget that. But yeah, right before that was going to go down, I got 2 friends of mine to commit to the trip and we were going to have conceal carry and the money was going to be with the third guy outside the house waiting in the truck.

But yeah, when my parents found out the plan - my dad went ballistic. He was like what are you trying to do going to someone's random house with that cash, if he held a gun to your head, who cares if you just saved a few grand.

So needless to say, the transaction never happened. There was just too many "what ifs".

Audiogon is nice because it allows people with the same mentality to mingle.

That's the bottom line.

For protection, I agree Roof, paypal is a good way to go about it.

Btw, does ebay actually offer buyer protection or is it paypal that does the majority of that?
  • rooftop59
    Options
    eBay and PayPal are now seperate and they both offer protection.

It's just like with a credit card. I have done two charge backs in my life, had a pretty straight forward case both times, filed out the paperwork, got my money back. I don't love corporations, but credit companies like PayPal do offer invaluable buyer protection.

But yes, of course, if making a major purchase, you better do your homework. No company can save you from your own stupidity. I think that's Tony's point, and well taken. But I am talking about when it's not your fault (or u can't buy in person). For those cases I like the extra protection.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Roof you're also right... Maybe I have been too trusting... Maybe I should use paypal in addition to the vetting
    That I do
  • leftwinger57
    Options
    Like here, The Dozin site and many others have changed their formats or layouts if you will. I still see speakers going for reasonable and not out of this world prices. They are far and away still better then Higher-FI whose price list seems to cater people who live in Dubai or some filthy oil rich country. I still cruise the site but did like the older format and selection. Still way out of my reach, C/L or a generous forumite for that's me....

http://www.higherfi.com/audio_speakers/1
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Leftwing,

What the heck is higherfi? Is that like an online store or another audiogon?

I spoke to one of those guys on the phone, he had an english accent IIRC... really just wanted to do business and talk business. no chit chat.
  • leftwinger57
    Options
    Joey ,it's a site that caters to those who have tons of mad money, people whose gear would not be "worthy" of Audiogon. The speaker makers of this high end stuff are so expensive it's insane. they do have a U.S. phone number but where they are based and if they actually have stock on hand I don't know. Their banner reads
    "Worlds Largest Online Dealer Of Luxury Audio" These are just the speaker pages. Check out their amp prices.

2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,785
    Options
    Check out their amp prices.

That's just beyond insane.
  • Joey_V
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Joey ,it's a site that caters to those who have tons of mad money, people whose gear would not be "worthy" of Audiogon. The speaker makers of this high end stuff are so expensive it's insane. they do have a U.S. phone number but where they are based and if they actually have stock on hand I don't know. Their banner reads
    "Worlds Largest Online Dealer Of Luxury Audio" These are just the speaker pages. Check out their amp prices.

Holy ****.

Let's leave that site alone then. Only big boys play in that sandbox.

I just looked at the prices... I can barely stop laughing. Wow. More power to those who that site caters to... :o
  • leftwinger57
    Options
    It should read --If your insanely rich and couldn't care where your easily made dollars come from we'll take care of you. I think they meant they will take you for a nice ride...lol I'm kinda surprised you dudes never saw this site...