Down & Dirty 800v/a Dreadnaught

Options
MrBuhl
MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
edited October 2015 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Picked up a used and slightly abused (in shipping and not to me, previous incident to be clear) "Larry case" from @GlennDog & ordered the correct Avel/Lindberg toroid quite a while back. Finally got around to construction about two weeks ago.

Once again, I copied @westmassguy's excellent and very fine design for mounting, (at least in the very Joe homeowner way I'm capable of) and I was off to the races. This one doesn't make use of the copper foil of Dave's full-on designs because it already was coated with Dynamat when I received it. Also, it was drilled for RCA's and not Speak-On's on the box.

5rbmsu8770s7.jpg

1zmgwglu1m84.jpg

The incredibly helpful and resourceful @helipilotdoug hooked me up with Canare 4s11 for SDA cable, Speak-On connections for the 2b speaker cups, some very nice gold coated copper RCA binding posts at the Dreadnaught end, and some copper Furez spades to make up new Canare speaker wires as well.

1mgvmuidhhl8.jpg

2m5au9cya2mh.jpg

While I was at it, I installed the "Larry Rings" I've been sitting on since the last run were produced, BH5 behind the woofs, sealed the magnets and cabinets with LocTite Powergrab, Dynamated the baskets, and upgraded the binding posts in the cups when I added the Speak-On connections. I also removed the false bases. The only thing left is to upgrade the crossovers on the 2b's now!

ivq813sgbraz.jpg

entbzczawktl.jpg

cd8ba0b44a15c10065fd-24461f391e20b7336331d5789078af53.r23.cft87n4s3x43bx.jpg
1.rackcdn.com/polkaudio.vanillaforums.com/editor/9w/gy4iu1b63yig.jpg

Burn in has begun, but man they still sound so sweet on the new Dodd with the Treasures!
VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
SACD Marantz DV8300
Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
Yamaha YP-D6
Soundcraftsmen PCR800
Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
Pho-700 Phono Pre
Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

Post edited by MrBuhl on

Comments

• agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    Cool!

How'd you decide to cut/install the BlackHole 5? One of a couple things I'm dragging my feet on for my 2BTLs.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Looking good Ed
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • MrBuhl
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thanks Dave - the crossovers next I think! It's a two-piece though - is that what you'd expect? I don't think I'd had them apart yet when we discussed them.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• MrBuhl
    Options
    agfrost wrote: »
    Cool!

How'd you decide to cut/install the BlackHole 5? One of a couple things I'm dragging my feet on for my 2BTLs.

Thanks! I followed the recommended for my 1c's honestly, I just assumed it would be the same. Size was somewhat dictated by the BH5 I had on hand as well.

I cut out rectangles that fit between the brace and sidewalls to go just behind the mid-woofers as you would with the bigger brothers. Hope I was correct - they sound great anyway!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• westmassguy
    Options
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    Thanks Dave - the crossovers next I think! It's a two-piece though - is that what you'd expect? I don't think I'd had them apart yet when we discussed them.
    Split/two piece? Doesn't sound right Ed. Can you send me a photo of the crossovers?

Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    I thought that seemed wonky Dave!

7p8htp81fyey.jpg

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• westmassguy
    Options
    Ed, those are 2A crossovers, not 2bs. The Dreadnaught should not be used with them.
    It will not allow you to use a non-common ground amp.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    BTW I assigned +1 to blue/black and -1 to white on the sda cable connections, nothing blew up so I assume I got it right! (based on same +1 / -1 at the Speak-On i used on the 1cs.)

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• MrBuhl
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Crap! So all this time they've been 2a's and not 2b's! I don't suppose it's possible to switch them to a 2b crossover if I purchased a pair?

Would also maybe explain the Dodd 50w popping the occasional fuse I imagine?

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• westmassguy
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Crap! So all this time they've been 2a's and not 2b's! I don't suppose it's possible to switch them to a 2b crossover if I purchased a pair?

Would also maybe explain the Dodd 50w popping the occasional fuse I imagine?
    You can convert them to 2Bs, with a new crossover, and 2 new MW6511 woofers.
    Do not use that amp with them.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    Options
    What was so special about the Avel Lindberg for this application? Parts Connexion has Pilitron's on sale @ 60% off.

I wonder if they have a comparable unit to the 800VA A/L?

http://partsconnexion.com/plitron_transformer.html
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    My understanding is selection is based on specs provided to @DarqueKnight from MP hisself, that this was the preferred choice. So that's what I went with!

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/74472/the-ai-1-dreadnought-project-pt-1/p1

Other than being a sheep and following what I was told, I honestly can't say why the Avel 800 is the right one for this application LOL!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• heiney9
    Options
    I can look through the lengthy archives I suppose. Thought maybe someone could give a quick answer.

They have a 2000VA Pilitron, but I can't remember what specs are important.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    It's on page 1 if you want to look, right under Fig 8.1 picture.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    Somone a while back sent DarqueKnight a plitron which he compared to the A-L in listening tests. He thought the A-L sounded better. This is all from memory - perhaps he'll chime in.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • heiney9
    Options
    It's on page 1 if you want to look, right under Fig 8.1 picture.

Yes, that's helpful. The spec sheet for Pilitron doesn't have any of that info.

I was just looking at saving a buck. 60% off is a decent discount, but if nothing fits the spec then I'll move on.

H9
  • heiney9
    Options
    I should have just pulled the trigger on Mr. Buhl's.....lol.

Actually, I had one at one time (just the transformer) and sold it because it was sitting in a drawer not being used. I think that was before many decided even with a common ground amp the isolation transformer sounded better.

H9
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    Options
    drumminman wrote: »
    Somone a while back sent DarqueKnight a plitron which he compared to the A-L in listening tests. He thought the A-L sounded better. This is all from memory - perhaps he'll chime in.

Here is the thread:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/131537/plitron-1000va-transformer-evaluation

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!