New to Forum. Just Acquired SDA2B Speakers

Hi Everyone,

Brand new to this forum. Just picked up a pair of Polk Audio SDA2B speakers in real wood. Also came with the interconnect cable so that I can experience the "SDA" sound. Definitely a different approach to the Carver Sonic Hologram Generator that I used to own. Haven't fully calibrated the speakers as of yet. But the short time that I played them, they do present a very large sound stage with a very realistic life-like sound. Was curious how they would fair against the Magnepans and Mirage speakers that I currently use is the reason why I picked them up from a local Craigslist ad. Once I calibrate them with my processor this weekend, then I will determine if they are keepers and if they need the use of my subs. If there is anything I should know about these speakers to maximize their sound, short of replacing components, please let me know.

Comments

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Welcome to the forum and congrats - 2b's are highly regarded here. To sub or not to sub depends on preference I think, I've never found I needed one with my 2bs. I used to run the sonic hologram generator as well - I like this sound better, but not everyone does.

Your ears and your system will be the best judge of how they fare vs. the Maggies or Mirage, but wall placement is key - they need to be off the walls and away from corners, NO toe-in whatsoever for best sound. Mine are about 7" off the back wall and have about 4' on each side from the side wall. If you like'em enough, there's a lot you can do to like them even more - known here as "the rabbit hole".

This link to the manual should help you set them up, it makes a HUGE difference to have them properlly placed. http://www.polksda.com/pdfs/SDA1C.pdf

Congrats and enjoy!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,186
    edited October 2015
    Those were my start into the Sda's and they did not disappoint.Placement is key and there are a lot of upgrades that you can do that don't cost a lot before the crossovers and tweeters.The first thing I have done on mine is the loctite power grab on the magnet of the midwoofers to prevent magnet shift.Then dynamat the baskets and make sure the cabinets are sealed tight.Welcome and enjoy the ride.Ps I still have them in storage for future use. :)
    Post edited by dkfreebird on
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • I am working on my second and final upgrades hopefully.. to my 2bTLs. I have owned them since new in 88. Every now and then we make a decision on something no matter what it is that we know was really good SDA's are one of my best investments so to that statement I am reinvesting in them enjoy..
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,374
    They need to be spiked.

The SL2000 tweeter leaves a lot ot be desired. At a bare minimum replace with the RD0194-1. Even better use the RD0198-1, but that requires a crossover mod.
    Once I calibrate them with my processor this weekend

Are these for music or HT?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,110
    Welcome to the club enjoy your 2bs, I own a pair of the studio 2B's and enjoy them. A lot of SDA owners here.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • F1 you mentioned spikes in this and other posts that good aye...
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    ^^ yes, that good ^^
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Big fan here of anything SDA. Own 2B'S myself, and starting the crossover and TL upgrades this weekend.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.
  • F1nut
    F1 you mentioned spikes in this and other posts that good aye...

Indeed sir, indeed.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• slbenz
    slbenz Posts: 97
    F1nut wrote: »
    They need to be spiked.

The SL2000 tweeter leaves a lot ot be desired. At a bare minimum replace with the RD0194-1. Even better use the RD0198-1, but that requires a crossover mod.
    Once I calibrate them with my processor this weekend

Are these for music or HT?

I will be using these for both but mainly for music.
  • Rex81
    Rex81 Posts: 193
    I got my 2Bs a couple weeks ago. Added spikes and replaced the SL2000 tweeters with the RDO-194s. Just call Polk, ask for them and tell them you're a member here. They'll ship you a pair for $100. Nice upgrade, and they drop right in. I love these speakers. I just fell into a pair of SDA SRS and although they're impressive, for my small listening room, I prefer my 2Bs. They're a lot of fun once they're set up properly. And you'll know when they're set up properly. Listen to Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil. If the bongo sound is coming 4'+ outside of the right speaker, you have them set up. If not, you don't. Keep working until you do.
  • slbenz
    Rex81 wrote: »
    I got my 2Bs a couple weeks ago. Added spikes and replaced the SL2000 tweeters with the RDO-194s. Just call Polk, ask for them and tell them you're a member here. They'll ship you a pair for $100. Nice upgrade, and they drop right in. I love these speakers. I just fell into a pair of SDA SRS and although they're impressive, for my small listening room, I prefer my 2Bs. They're a lot of fun once they're set up properly. And you'll know when they're set up properly. Listen to Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil. If the bongo sound is coming 4'+ outside of the right speaker, you have them set up. If not, you don't. Keep working until you do.

Just curious what positive differences did you experience when you replaced the stock tweeters with the updated one?
  • F1nut
    Mo' better sound.

President of Club Polk

• Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    edited October 2015
    Indeed. 194's and 198's are both much smoother than originals. 198's (with very simple crossover mod) are a step up in clarity and transparency.
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • slbenz
    I now see two of you mention 198 tweeters in conjunction with a crossover mod. I probably need to look into what entails with the crossover mod vs. just replacing the stock tweeters with the 194. So far, the SDA 2Bs after my calibration, according to my wife, sounds every bit as good as my Magnepan IIIas for the mids/highs which says a lot for the SDA's stock components.

My early impressions of the SDA 2Bs vs. my Magnepans and Mirage speakers are:
    • Better overall dynamics, especially in the mid to low bass region. Because of this, the overall sound seems more balanced when compared to my other speakers without using my Velodyne subs.
    • In two channel, there doesn't seem to be a need for the use of my subs. The 2Bs can go down low by themselves and provide that life-like bass slam that my Magnepans in particular need with my subs.
    • Image height seems compressed vs. my other speakers.
    • Sound stage is just as wide and deep as my other speakers.
    • The SDA effect is definitely more defined and seems more forgiving than my Carver C-9 or Carver C-1's Sonic Hologram Generator that I remember.
    • The 2Bs can certainly play much louder and without strain vs. my other speakers.
    • The mids are very similar to my Magnepans with an airy sound similar to both my Magnepans and Mirages.
    • My wife likes the 2Bs better than my Magnepan IIIas. So she is asking me to sell them. The Magnepans are now listed on Audio Asylum and Craigslist if anyone is interested. I should probably also post my ad onto this forum as well.
    • I would suspect replacing the stock tweeter with one of the others suggested will help improve the highs to sound more life-like. That is something that my other speakers can do a bit better and would like to improve upon.

Hope this information that I am sharing is similar in experience with others. If not, then this is new information on how the SDA 2Bs are comparing them to my Magnepans and Mirage speakers. Two very dissimilar speaker designs that provide a very open, deep and wide sound stage.

• F1nut
    Please do not try to sell anything here or mention elsewhere until you have 100 posts.

President of Club Polk

• drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited October 2015
    I know you don't really want to do mods right now, but you should know that replacing the worn out caps with high quality film caps, and the resistors with better ones, will take your 2B's to a level that will surprise you. IOW, if you like them now, you'll be amazed post Xover rebuild.

Oh . . . and welcome to CP! I thought your name looked familiar - I frequent AA quite a bit.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    drumminman wrote: »
    I thought your name looked familiar - I frequent AA quite a bit.

Sssssshhhhhhhhhh....no names plese, AA is supposed to be synonymous!

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,843
    @slbenz,

Welcome to Club Polk and congratulations on picking up a fine pair of SDAs!

You remind me of me about three years ago.

I own two pairs of SDAs that I have modified or had modified to about the limits of what the guys on the Forum have found to be possible over the years.

With respect to my 1Cs, I first replaced the SL2000s with RD0-194s and then, along with several other mods, had the crossovers rebuilt and the SDA inductors replaced by VR3 Mods.

The replacement of the SL2000s is a relatively inexpensive and easy mod, and the result is improved high frequency transients, clarity, and timbres without the edginess of the SL2000s. (My opinion.) The 1Cs are not capable of the TL mod, and therefore cannot upgraded the RD0-198s.

With my SRS1.2s, I first replaced the SL2000s with RD0-194s and had the crossovers rebuilt by VR3 Mods with a Gimpod circuit board and high quality caps, resistors, and inductors and also replaced the stock SDA inductors with high quality perfect-lay inductors.

These mods dramatically improved the sound quality of these SDAs. I cannot tease out improvements directly related to replacement of the SL2000s with RD0-194s because I did several mods simultaneously.

However, I can say that improvements in high frequency sound quality were similar to my experience with the 1Cs. [To avoid confusion, I should say that I am relating this sequence out of chronological order. I did the first mods on the SRS 1.2s before the mods to the 1Cs. With that said, the sound quality differences were similar, as I described them above.]

Having lived with the improved sound quality of SRSs for awhile and continuing to read about further improvements "TLing" them would achieve -- that is, further modifying the crossovers to support the RD0-198s -- I decided to take the next step with SRSs.

VR3 Mods provided the Monastery "Abbot" level mods (crossovers, internal wiring, binding posts, SDA inductors, etc.), and I installed RD0-198s.

These mods made an extraordinary difference, which, if you are interested, you can read about in my thread on the subject.
    e thinking about building a Dreadnought
    My point in relating this is that, if you decide to do mods, then I would urge you to step up to the TL-level with your first step. It is definitely worth it, and if you take the "baby" step first, you will end up spending more in the long run, if you decide to TL your 2Bs.

Just my $0.02 worth.

There are several guys on this Forum who can give you very clear, good advice about taking your SDA 2Bs as far as they can go. And they will be very generous in their advice.

Welcome to the rabbit hole! :)

PS: You should also think about building a Dreadnought, whether or not you use a non-common ground amp. Like others, I have found that a Dreadnought, used to replace the stock SDA interconnect, improves sound quality, even with a common ground amp, which does not require one.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Again Sim sala Bim, to the forum. I also snagged a pair of '87 SDA 2Bs w/ the cable at a desperate house wife's moving sale for $50 in 2013. Bone Stock and not used in twenty some odd years and I also was very hesitant to do any mods but smarter people prevailed and I did the full monty on them.Kli98ei8ma7ycue.jpg
    with fantastic results. All mods listed on my sig. The 2 small Klipsch H/T speakers have been move to a more strategic location
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • ogivmap46185.jpg

SDA-2BTL

Just finished up the crossovers, including dynamating the baskets and adding BH5.The hurricane nuts will have to wait as they are on backorder. Cabinets are air tight so no big deal. Sound real good and will improve with some run time.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.
  • slbenz
    Everyone,

Thanks for the heads up on the different mods for this speakers. Sounds similar to mods that can be done with my Magnepans which I tried a few with success. When I have a chance, I will probably go with the tweeter replacement first to quell the harshness of the highs with the stock tweeter. I have been working on removing the water stain left from the previous owner and probably got 90% of the offending mark out. Much better but not back to original. Also, F1nut, thanks for the posting requirement for ads. Had a chance to read the guidelines and will leave it to AudioAsylum and Craigslist to do their work selling the Magnepans and Mye Stands.

Since I am using a Dolby Atmos enabled preamp, I was thinking of having the 2Bs used as my mains and stacking my Mirage speakers on top of them to act as the Atmos or height channels for my home theater. Just a thought. Not sure how the wife would feel, especially how they would look. So far, I am liking what the 2Bs can do. With most of my music that I listen to, the 2Bs really don't need the Velodyne sub assistance. Probably because the 2B is rated down to 16Hz and my Velodyne is rated only down to 20Hz with some output down to 16Hz. Appreciate all the suggestions, advice and pictures that everyone is sharing. It is a lot of information to digest but appreciated.
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    I know this is a few days off but once you said you had water stained tops it gave me a chuckle. Mine also had what seems to be the requisite water plant stained tops. My mantra was always no real p[ants, kids, cats, near audio gear. My before and after w/ a bleach job minor sanding, staining and a poly finish.uzyersbm7thx.jpg
    rkqjjfbgrquw.jpg
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    slbenz wrote: »
    Everyone,

Thanks for the heads up on the different mods for this speakers. Sounds similar to mods that can be done with my Magnepans which I tried a few with success. When I have a chance, I will probably go with the tweeter replacement first to quell the harshness of the highs with the stock tweeter. I have been working on removing the water stain left from the previous owner and probably got 90% of the offending mark out. Much better but not back to original. Also, F1nut, thanks for the posting requirement for ads. Had a chance to read the guidelines and will leave it to AudioAsylum and Craigslist to do their work selling the Magnepans and Mye Stands.

Since I am using a Dolby Atmos enabled preamp, I was thinking of having the 2Bs used as my mains and stacking my Mirage speakers on top of them to act as the Atmos or height channels for my home theater. Just a thought. Not sure how the wife would feel, especially how they would look. So far, I am liking what the 2Bs can do. With most of my music that I listen to, the 2Bs really don't need the Velodyne sub assistance. Probably because the 2B is rated down to 16Hz and my Velodyne is rated only down to 20Hz with some output down to 16Hz. Appreciate all the suggestions, advice and pictures that everyone is sharing. It is a lot of information to digest but appreciated.

Welcome to CP. Don't jump the gun on the Tweeters just yet. The RDO-194-1s are fine Tweeters, and light years ahead of the SL2000s, but the RDO-198-1s Are even better. Not as dramatic a change as going from the 2000s to the 194s, but well worth the additional capacitor on the crossover.
    The 194s will give you instant gratification, but the 198s will surpass them.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • slbenz
    Lots of great suggestions from everyone on what to do to make these speakers even better aurally and cosmetically. It sounds like I have to do a bit more work in order to obtain the best out of these speakers. From what is being described, it certainly much easier than a rewire on a set of Magnepan speakers that I did to several years ago on another set of Magnepan IIIas that I owned.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,843
    Lots of great suggestions from everyone on what to do to make these speakers even better aurally and cosmetically. It sounds like I have to do a bit more work in order to obtain the best out of these speakers. From what is being described, it certainly much easier than a rewire on a set of Magnepan speakers that I did to several years ago on another set of Magnepan IIIas that I owned.

It is worth the effort!

And, if you can do the work yourself, it is also fun! :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• I am new here also I just recently picked up a pair of the Monitor 11 speakers.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,735
    I am new here also I just recently picked up a pair of the Monitor 11 speakers.

Congrats and welcome to the group. Do check your wallet at the door as we're REALLY good at spending other peoples money...
  • slbenz

Congrats and welcome to the group. Do check your wallet at the door as we're REALLY good at spending other peoples money...

You certainly have that right. Looks like a lot of people want me to open my wallet for a tweeter and crossover mod instead of just a tweeter replacement. :)
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850

You certainly have that right. Looks like a lot of people want me to open my wallet for a tweeter and crossover mod instead of just a tweeter replacement. :)

All upgrades don't have to be done at once. If you want to do a down'n'dirty upgrade, with the better RDO-198-1 Tweeters, get a couple NP Electrolytics: http://www.parts-express.com/56uf-100v-electrolytic-non-polarized-crossover-capacitor--027-334
    Solder one across the 2.7 ohm resistor on both crossovers, and install the 198s. You can enjoy them that way until you save up for the other upgrades.
    The actual value you need is 5.8uf, but the 5.6uf will do fine until you decide to do anything else.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/