New to Forum. Just Acquired SDA2B Speakers

2»

Comments

• slbenz
    slbenz Posts: 97
    Now that I have been using these speakers for about two weeks now, I am wondering from the group, how much of a difference will the RDO-194 tweeters make with voice on these speakers? As much as I like the mid to low bass on these speakers, the mids and highs aren't quite a match to my Magnepans nor Mirage speakers. Both of those speakers have more life-like mids and highs. Vocals seem to be more true with the Magnepans and Mirages that I have. I am hoping that with a tweeter replacement, the SDA 2Bs that I have will match the Magnepan and Mirage for mid to high clarity and realism. Thoughts?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,376
    The TL upgrade is the answer.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    +1...but i have had noticible results with 194s, Sonicaps for highs and Solens for lows. Make sure your seals are good, spike em and enjoy!
  • slbenz
    I may just try either the RDO-194 or RDO-198 tweeter replacement and hope that would be enough to bring out more clarity and realism to the mids and highs to these speakers without having to go the full modification route.
  • F1nut
    You cannot use the RD0198-1 without a crossover mod.

In all seriousness, anything less than replacing the tweeters with the RD0198-1, upgrading the crossovers, adding spikes, applying Dynamat to the baskets and installing Hurricane nuts means you'll never get what those speakers are capable of.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• slbenz
    I'll probably do the RDO-198 tweeter with crossover mod. I understand everything but the use of the Hurricane nuts. What is that used for to increase the performance of these speakers?
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,086
    Better quality seal between the driver and baffle.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    It goes beyond the seal factor. By coupling the drivers to the baffle much better than the stock screws can results in reduced vibrations and in turn, reduced distortion.

President of Club Polk

• slbenz
    Thanks everyone. Now I got it. Similar to the use of Mye Stands with my Magnepans to reduce vibrations in the panel to reduce distortion. Will look into this modification as well.