Think I wrecked the Porsche!

Options

Comments

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,290
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    You could buy a LEAF.....touted as the worlds greatest car and saving animals lives every second of the day. Of course you have to have animal detection mode engaged so the car unexpectedly swerves away from squirrels/birds and heads for the sidewalks but, HEY!....you're going green and that's all that matters. >:)

:) Most excellent suggestion, except for 1 thing:

1. PFB buys a Leaf (with the "Skinny Jeans Rebate")
    2. 3 months later, the entire North American electrical grid goes down.

You know it would happen.

Sal Palooza
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Options
    Looks like a tiny joystick in the center console!

Are you referring to PFB wearing his skinny jeans? :o:# (No offense intended PFB, it's a joke).
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    Options
    Go try the Scion FRS small and fast.
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    You could buy a LEAF.....touted as the worlds greatest car and saving animals lives every second of the day. Of course you have to have animal detection mode engaged so the car unexpectedly swerves away from squirrels/birds and heads for the sidewalks but, HEY!....you're going green and that's all that matters. >:)

The skinny jean rebate is only good for residents in CA, NJ, FL, and VT. You need to read the fine print!

Cop - What's that up in the tree?
    PFB - Oh, that's my Leaf......
    Cop - How did you manage that?
    PFB - I was street racing a Fargo Ferrari (92 F150) and my Animal Detection Mode kicked in for a jackalope. Hit the curb doing 27mph. I was flyin......
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, although the BRZ was... The Subaru STI, or older WRX...

For a little more coin, the BMW M3 or a Lexus F-sport model. Mmmm.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    Options

The skinny jean rebate is only good for residents in CA, NJ, FL, and VT. You need to read the fine print!

Cop - What's that up in the tree?
    PFB - Oh, that's my Leaf......
    Cop - How did you manage that?
    PFB - I was street racing a Fargo Ferrari (92 F150) and my Animal Detection Mode kicked in for a jackalope. Hit the curb doing 27mph. I was flyin......

lmao ! Though in PFB's defense, a "Leaf" belongs on a tree...no ?

PFB hasn't dictated a budget for what he's looking for but my guess is he's going used under 15k.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    lmao ! Though in PFB's defense, a "Leaf" belongs on a tree...no ?

PFB hasn't dictated a budget for what he's looking for but my guess is he's going used under 15k.
    T-bone...i'm sure glad someone got what i was doing there :D
    I was chuckling like a little girl while typing it!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,543
    Options
    C'mon guys....

Leaf him alone :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I was looking into a leaf today guys, theres a special version you can rent. Its gt a built in washingnmachine that you can stick quarters in so one can drive around and wash those skinny jeans at the same time.
  • tonyb
    Options
    I was looking into a leaf today guys, theres a special version you can rent. Its gt a built in washingnmachine that you can stick quarters in so one can drive around and was those skinny jeans at the same time.

....so then, you'd be driving naked as you wash your skinny jeans ? Not the visual I was hoping for on a Wed. morning. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • polkfarmboy
    Options
    I would have my spanx on.
  • tonyb
    Options
    I would have my spanx on.

Stop.....my brain hurts. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    Stay away from the Boxters, they reek of estrogen, no offense if that is what you already have.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,290
    Options
    Hit the curb doing 27mph. I was flyin......

Reading that triggered some neurons in the remote storage area ....... now this song is going to be stuck in my brain for the next day .......

https://youtu.be/lbN9jR6uIFo
    Sal Palooza
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Hit the curb doing 27mph. I was flyin......

Reading that triggered some neurons in the remote storage area ....... now this song is going to be stuck in my brain for the next day .......

https://youtu.be/lbN9jR6uIFo

Now it's stuck in mine as well....

I remember that song very well, old!!
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • tonyb
    edited July 2015
    Options
    More appropriate.....Hot Rod Lincoln.

So do tell PFB, whats the price range your looking in....once the Porsche is put back together like Humpty Dumpty.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    More appropriate.....Hot Rod Lincoln.

So do tell PFB, whats the price range your looking in....once the Porsche is put back together like Humpty Dumpty.

Ah, Commander Cody!!
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • polkfarmboy
    Options

Tony I have no idea but for used I would have to be paying cash so 30k would be the extreem max budget. At the dealership there is some nice caymans with financing options like $50 a week for the rest of your life.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    To each their own, but cars are money pits. Buy something inexpensive and reliable, and put that money into stereo gear. You can drink and listen all night, and not worry about getting busted. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • gurot1
    gurot1 Posts: 519
    Options
    I've never driven a Viper, but I've heard it will bite you in the behind if you don't know how to drive it. It's like a caged animal. The new Vette is supposed to be nice.
    lsim705,lsim706c,lsif/x(4)+mc80(atmos)
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,625
    Options
    Polkie2009 wrote: »
    There's talk of that model also returning. :)

No talk, it's coming back...

At a cool $160,000+

Buddy of mine has a "Zanardi" NSX and he is happy as hell as his keeps climbing in value.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    PFB is the kind of guy that gets bored of what he has and needs something different every x amount of time. Look at how much hi-fi gear he has been through, I would have been happy a long time ago! :p
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    Options
    It could have been worse.....

409482c7-8e39-4d8b-8ad9-33be80fe95bd_fe_10221167_717.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Kurt300 wrote: »
    PFB, Mikey is right about the rear main seal being the most common failure, especially with the older models. But once you replace it, and also the IMS bearing, you will have taken care of the big ticket items that are the most failure prone. Selling the car then would be like shutting the barn door after letting the horses out.

Good call on the intermediate shaft bearing. Usually done in conjunction with the seal. I'm guessing pfb has a 986. And they told you 4 days, my guess is to order parts.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• tonyb
    Options

Tony I have no idea but for used I would have to be paying cash so 30k would be the extreem max budget. At the dealership there is some nice caymans with financing options like $50 a week for the rest of your life.

Stay away from the Caymens.....not very reliable and another money pit. Cars are typically bad investments, the more you spend the more you lose. If that doesn't bother you, then rock on.

If your just looking to drive a name plate, then be prepared for the associated costs that go along with it. There are options for more dependable vehicles if that interest you.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,478
    Options
    gurot1 wrote: »
    I've never driven a Viper, but I've heard it will bite you in the behind if you don't know how to drive it. It's like a caged animal. The new Vette is supposed to be nice.
    . My friend Phil had one & took a corner & accelerated to much & hit a wall & totaled it. He bought a vette after that. He said the viper had too much power & the vette did better on cornering

Randy/Maine
  • tonyb
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    gurot1 wrote: »
    . My friend Phil had one & took a corner & accelerated to much & hit a wall & totaled it. He bought a vette after that. He said the viper had too much power & the vette did better on cornering

He accelerated going into a corner ? Then your friend is a bonehead as that can happen in any car. Sounds like a "lets blame the car" not my idiot driving skills or decisions. Just sayin'...
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    Cars in general are bad investments because they are not investments at all. Investments have the potential of a return. Cars are a depreciable asset. Therefore cars are an expense not an investment.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • tonyb
    Options
    I use the term loosely....lol.

If 30k is your limit used, then buy a certified used car, you'd at least get a 3 yr. warranty. Certified cars are usually within 3 maybe 4 years old on the outside.

I'm partial to the Lexus brand, but certainly others exist for quality dependable cars. Or....with 30k cash, you can buy a new car, have a 5 year warranty and no car payments. Personally, I like 'em a couple years old so the major depreciation has already taken it's hit....on someone elses dime.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    Believe me, unless you are willing to buy the rarest of the rare and the cream of that crop, cars are just a deep black hole. I could never ever get what I have sunk in my muscle cars, but I am ok with that. Although I can always get north of what I originally paid, never will I recoup all the costs associated with restoring, etc. Of all the cars mentioned, the Viper and the NSX are about the only cars that will have worth down the road.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
This discussion has been closed.