Worst thing to recently happen to you?

Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,505
So, in an effort to know each other better - if you would post or at least feel comfortable posting, what was the worst thing that recently happened to you? And how did it change you?
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    The water pressure gauge for the well stopped working last night resulting in no water. It didn't change me, but the plumber charged me.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Joey_V
    So yeah, sorry to be sappy, but I just had to get that off my chest. It's good to wake up in the morning, to know you were granted juts another day. When I have a bad day at work or I get a bill for something unexpected, I just think back to that crappy 7 months I had... and I tell myself, this is life. Atleast I'm still above ground.

You just never know bro... you never know. ;)
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited April 2015
    Very happy you tested negative for HIV, and you will be with us much longer you thought you would be when you found out the patient tested positive (I feel for the patient, however).

Glad to have you back on the forum after realising that it's worth spending money on a good audio system. Listening to high fidelity music is one of the most enjoyable things one can do in their life, IMO. :)

@F1nut, Jesse, it may not have changed you (having your "well go dry"), but it certainly changed your wallet, huh? :p Without the sarcasm, sorry you had to pay to get your water running.

The "worst" thing (or probably more appropriately stated, most life changing thing) that happened to me (in my life) was when I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 31 years ago. We'll put it this way, if one isn't extrememly disciplined before getting type 1 diabetes, one certainly becomes very disciplined quickly; or one dies within 7-14 years (after suffering kidney failure (resulting in dialysis), loss of eyesight, neuropathy, amputation(s), heart disease, etc.)). Type 1 Diabetes is the most dificult thing I have faced in my life, without a doubt. After 31 years, I am still not an expert at it and if I lose focus of what's going on, my bloodsugar will "get me". It's a tough job, but I gotta do it.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    I couldn't get to the polk site for about 1/2 a day. Dunno why.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Sorry to hear about your scare Joey. Always wondered how you doctors cope with the risks. I imagine though you accept those risks going in, no ?

Knock on wood, haven't had anything worth mentioning that put a scare in me lately. Then again not much scares me these days.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    I slept with a twenty something last week and she won't quit blowing my phone up with calls and texts. Seriously, eight calls and ten texts last night between 11 and 1... Crazy.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    My roommate has woken me up for the last 2 weeks in the middle of the night (seriously, right around 3-3:30) because she's being so loud. Quite annoying.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Went to cook Easter dinner and found out the oven's not working. Crock pot to the rescue.
  • Joey_V
    headrott wrote: »
    Very happy you tested negative for HIV, and you will be with us much longer you thought you would be when you found out the patient tested positive (I feel for the patient, however).

Glad to have you back on the forum after realising that it's worth spending money on a good audio system. Listening to high fidelity music is one of the most enjoyable things one can do in their life, IMO. :)

@F1nut, Jesse, it may not have changed you (having your "well go dry"), but it certainly changed your wallet, huh? :p Without the sarcasm, sorry you had to pay to get your water running.

The "worst" thing (or probably more appropriately stated, most life changing thing) that happened to me (in my life) was when I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 31 years ago. We'll put it this way, if one isn't extrememly disciplined before getting type 1 diabetes, one certainly becomes very disciplined quickly; or one dies within 7-14 years (after suffering kidney failure (resulting in dialysis), loss of eyesight, neuropathy, amputation(s), heart disease, etc.)). Type 1 Diabetes is the most dificult thing I have faced in my life, without a doubt. After 31 years, I am still not an expert at it and if I lose focus of what's going on, my bloodsugar will "get me". It's a tough job, but I gotta do it.

You're doing well man...
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Joey, you're post makes the water leak we found this past weekend suddenly seem like not so big of a deal. Glad you ended up being OK. I have a friend with HIV who leads a very normal life but he also has accepted that some day, things aren't going to be. Gives you a much different perspective on priorities.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    2 1/2 months ago, I discovered what Sciatica was. I've heard older people complain about it for years, but didn't really pay any attention. Well I'm one of those older people now. It came on literally overnight. I was nearly crippled by the pain. Getting up in the morning was torture. Standing, sitting or laying down, all caused excruciating pain. All the usual pain killers did nothing. I finally went to a good Chiropractor, and have slowly been getting better. It's still there, but at least I'm functional for the most part.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    All in all, I can't complain, since any of the worst things that have happened to me fall into 'first world problems'.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    I had a needle stick years ago when the preventive therapy was much cruder with incredibly bad s/e. When talking to the ID docs I was told that the risk for getting HIV if I did nothing was 2% higher than if I took the meds, which were the best available in the mid 90's. My stick wasn't as deep as yours and, after careful consideration, I elected to forgo the treatment. All my tests came back negative.

Glad you had a happy ending!
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    2 1/2 months ago, I discovered what Sciatica was. I've heard older people complain about it for years, but didn't really pay any attention. Well I'm one of those older people now. It came on literally overnight. I was nearly crippled by the pain. Getting up in the morning was torture. Standing, sitting or laying down, all caused excruciating pain. All the usual pain killers did nothing. I finally went to a good Chiropractor, and have slowly been getting better. It's still there, but at least I'm functional for the most part.

Welcome to my world for the past 30+ years. I don't have Sciatica but I do have a spinal cord injury (C-3 - C-6), At first the pain wasn't too bad but now it's to the point that pain killers (like opiates) just flat out don't work and everything I do is ether excruciatingly painful or ridiculously hard too do.

All I can say is thank god for music because without it 90% of the time I don't think I'd make it though the day. It gives me a chance to close my eyes and just mellow out. :)
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • westmassguy
    gimpod wrote: »

Welcome to my world for the past 30+ years. I don't have Sciatica but I do have a spinal cord injury (C-3 - C-6), At first the pain wasn't too bad but now it's to the point that pain killers (like opiates) just flat out don't work and everything I do is ether excruciatingly painful or ridiculously hard too do.

All I can say is thank god for music because without it 90% of the time I don't think I'd make it though the day. It gives me a chance to close my eyes and just mellow out. :)
    That really sucks. I knew you had some difficulties, but didn't realize it was that bad.
    I've had a bad back since I was a teenager, but nothing like what you're going through.
    I feel the same way about my music. It just carries me away sometimes.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    I feel the same way about my music. It just carries me away sometimes.

Yea that's what I love about music it can make all the bad stuff just go away for awhile. :)
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • specd_out
    specd_out Posts: 505
    Damn Joey that rough. My wife is an RN and we had a scare where blood sprayed her in the face. Thankfully HIV wasnt a concern but Hepatitis was. Thankfully nothing ended up happening .

On to the main subject, My cat tipped my RtiA5 over and it landed on my wood floor. Spilt about 3" of the veneer just above the tweeter.

Now I have speakers attached to my tv stand so that cant happen again. I also got a new duster to clean my speakers with >:) lol not really but the cat got a good whoopin
    HT Rig Samsung 64F8500 |Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD|Pioneer Elite VSX-32| Two Carver TFM-15cb Bridged for mains|Polk Audio RTiA5 Cherry|Polk Audio CsiA6 Cherry|Polk Audio T-15 Heights|Polk Audio FXia6 Surround|DIY 8cuft Dayton Ultimax 15" powered with a Crown XLS1000
    2Channel Rig Polk Audio LSi9 Cherry| Carver C-1BillD Mod|Carver M1.0t MkII Opt2|Pro-ject RM 1.3|SpeedBox S|AQ King Cobras|AQ Rocket88|
    ISF Level 2 Certified Calibrator
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Well, I thought I was going to resuscitate Crown D-75a today. Replaced the two blown resistors and nothing. :/
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    I hit a pedestrian with a car once...it's a scary feeling being the driver of the car too. the woman disappeared from my view after rolling up on the hood. Getting out of the car was the worst, not knowing what I was going to find. Luckily the woman only broke her leg. I wasn't cited at fault, because apparently the woman was mentally ill and wasn't supposed to be out without a guide. It was dark and rainy and she just stepped out off of the sidewalk right in front off me.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Damn Joey. After reading that I feel like anything I could add to this post aren't really all that bad of experiences in comparison to what could happen.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Joey_V
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Damn Joey. After reading that I feel like anything I could add to this post aren't really all that bad of experiences in comparison to what could happen.

Thanks bro... all better now and back to normal and thankful.

Trying to live it up bro
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited April 2015
    I hit a pedestrian with a car once...it's a scary feeling being the driver of the car too. the woman disappeared from my view after rolling up on the hood. Getting out of the car was the worst, not knowing what I was going to find. Luckily the woman only broke her leg. I wasn't cited at fault, because apparently the woman was mentally ill and wasn't supposed to be out without a guide. It was dark and rainy and she just stepped out off of the sidewalk right in front off me.

Yeah, happened to me too except I killed a 15 year old boy which still haunts me. About 20 years ago, I was driving a stake body truck with a trailer and bobcat on the back. Going into an intersection by a school at about 40 mph and the car turning left decides they want to go right in front of me. Hit the brakes and swerved to the right to avoid the car but the car kept moving. Hit it smack in the middle, pushed across the intersection against a light pole. The passenger side, which took the brunt, was a 15 year old kid on the way to school driven by his sister.....who had no license. I still see that kids face....and hands pressed up against the window in utter horror. I never got a ticket, but the other driver did. Models were made up of the intersection and vehicles and the truck and trailer were gone over by the state with a fine toothed comb. Family wanted manslaughter charges brought against me. Here in Illinois, having a CDL....your considered guilty until proven innocent. The fact that the other driver had no license and should not have been behind the wheel saved my bacon from prosecution.

4 years later, driving the same combination, I was parked and getting ready to go when out of my side mirror I catch a lady standing between the rear of the truck and the trailer. Soon as she see's me she quickly moves behind the truck out of view. I get out to see a Pakistan woman, maybe 40 years old, just standing there like waiting for me to run her over. I ask WTF she thinks she's doing but got no response so I motioned for her to get the f**k out of there. She understood that and walked slowly across the street.

I have since given up my CDL. Owners of companies are too cheap to maintain the trucks properly and you the driver bear the brunt of that should you get into an accident. We aren't talking traffic tickets here, we are talking jail time in this state. So screw 'em, go find someone else willing to take the risk.

Not recent, but ranks as one of the worst days of my life.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • westmassguy
    mrbiron wrote: »
    i got married........................................................................
    Now you've gone and done it LOL
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited April 2015
    It is absolutely terrifying how unpredictable our lives are. Much of my younger years was spent riding/racing atv's, dirtbikes, streetbikes. I rolled the dice every weekend with risky behavior, doing everything from motocross, hare-scambles, hillclimbs, and just being stupid on the crotch rockets, hitting the twistys of Appalachia with everything we had. I really had the immortal mentality, until I realized I really have no control over what is going to happen to me and my family. This realization was very difficult for me to accept and led to a lot of anxiety for about a year. As some of you know I consider myself to be an athletic person, or kind of a gym rat. I have taken many supplements over the years that were supposed to aid in strength and muscle gains. I have never taken anything illegal, and most of what I took came from GNC or Bodybuilding.com. Some of the more controversial supplements that I was taking was pre-workout energy boosters, such as, no xplode, c4, jack3d etc, for years. These are supposedly just caffine, niacine, in addition other ingredients that may or may not be listed. I never had any ill effects from them and against the advice from my wife and friends continued to take them. I may have developed an addiction, as I didn't want to go workout without it. I had ordered some bulk protein from bodybuilding.com and they had included some samples of a new pre-workout supplement called 1MR-vortex (1MR=one more rep). Not reading the package carefully, as it was very small print on a small package of product, I ingested the sample which couldn't have been more than a teaspoon of blue powder mix. This is a much smaller amount of product than my typical pre-workouts and I just assumed it was one serving and didn't give it a second thought. I typically would take two servings of my other pre anyways. I made my way to the local gym, and all was well. I finished my warm up and began to do some chest training on the incline bench. After my first set, I remember laying there thinking wow, this new preworkout is crap, as I had no energy and felt very weak after that exercise. I got up from the bench to add weight and BAM something was very wrong. The room started spinning and my vision became blurred or as if I couldn't focus on anything. I immediately sat down thinking that may pass out at any moment. As I sat there evaluating my condition I started to feel better after a minute, so I got up to get a drink from the fountain and BOOM the it was back and more intense. I broke out into a sweat, my heart was racing and I was freezing cold. I was reluctant to ask for help, as I didn't want the humiliation of being hauled out in a squad, I tried to call my wife so she could come get me. Well she didn't pick up so I decided to try and drive home. It wasn't far maybe 3 miles all straight, but it was the longest three miles of my life. I was moving well below the 35mph speed limit and was struggling to stay conscience and was having a hard time focusing or thinking for that matter, I was very confused. I made it home, and my wife could obviously tell something wasn't right. I tried to lay down but couldn't relax. I felt a tremendous amount of mental energy, like my head was going to just explode. Every minute or so I would feel like a was passing out or kill over at any second, and would follow by a drenching sweat and then cold chills. My wife took me to the er, thinking maybe I was having a heart attack or something. Of, course the took the standard steps and did the emergency ekg and xrays, hr monitor, and bp etc. Guess what, my ekg was normal, chest xrays normal, hr wasn't elevated, and my bp was only slightly elevated. Okay, so I should calm down right, I mean I am not gonna die today, right. I still couldn't calm down, my heart felt like it was going to come out of my chest, even though the monitor said otherwise. They kept on fluids and monitored me until about 2 am, and at that point I was feeling much better. The doc said it was just palpitations from the preworkout supplement and I was never in any real danger. Huh really. I was not convinced and for the next year I drove myself crazy trying to figure this out. I always trusted my body to tell me when something wasn't right or I was in danger, but now I couldn't do that. I became obsessed with eating right, completely cutting out caffeine and eventually alcohol. The problem was, I still could not accept what I felt was nothing. Cutting out these things made be think that I could prevent this from happening again. Not knowing what caused the episode in turn caused a lot of anxiety about it happening again. I still don't have all of the answers, but I am getting better with accepting that I am not in control and that things are going to happen. I have reintroduced caffeine and alcohol in moderation, but no preworkout supps. I still fear of this happening again but now I am trying not to let that fear influence my lifestyle choices. This has been very hard for me though.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Joey_V
    We got a lot of great posts here. I like your story too Tim smith.

Hey Jeremy, sorry to hear about that day. Palpitations probably was the end result but you definitely had a reaction to the preworkout.