Options
2»

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,065
    Options
    mrloren wrote: »
    just need to win the lottery so I can buy these nice cables
    I don't think you do. You really have to consider the level of your system and buy the correct cables for it. Going outside of that becomes a waste of money.
    If you want me to recommend the correct level of cables for your system as I see fit , post your entire system , how it's wired and I'll let you know IF it would be worth it and with what should go where to maximize audio video perfection in your system.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    We recently had a MIT cable evaluation event, and one of the cables was an HDMI cable. When I started I was not expecting much, if any, difference between my current (supplied with Oppo 103) cable, and the MIT. Anyway, the MIT impressed me. The colors were more vivid, and the picture was more detailed. Needless to say, that changed my attitude towards HDMI cables.
    As I find it the only way to really know if it's worth it or not. I loved doing the MIT cable review as I don't work with them anymore and haven't in many years. It was refreshing to try them again.

Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    BlueFox wrote: »
    We recently had a MIT cable evaluation event, and one of the cables was an HDMI cable. When I started I was not expecting much, if any, difference between my current (supplied with Oppo 103) cable, and the MIT. Anyway, the MIT impressed me. The colors were more vivid, and the picture was more detailed. Needless to say, that changed my attitude towards HDMI cables.

You make my case for cables, generally speaking. If you never tried the MIT cable, you would still be happy with the el cheapo supplied with the oppo. Seeing is believing in video, as well as hearing is believing in audio. Point being of course is to try different stuff every so often. Not every attempt will be a hit, but you may discover some things along the way.
    I've been saying that for years. And it's amazingly fun to do. Especially on those extremely cold winter days when your stuck in the house with nothing better to do. I love wasting time doing demoing. Especially when you find some differences. Then you have to debate what differences are proper for your system and if they are worth the asking cost.
    Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I purchased some AQ chocolates with my new curve TV, I doubt I will try anything else as I'm more then satisfied with the PQ...

Is there any difference with these on a cable box or is that a waste of time?
    Did you see the pic of my cable box? It's the 5th picture. I use Verizon cable service. I feel they are the very best in over all picture and sound quality not to mention have the most HD channels vs Comcast.
    I have always used upgraded cables on my cable or DSS receivers and always noticed some improvements. I watch cable more then any other source in my system so why not try and make it the best it can be? You don't have to go as far as I did but it's not a bad idea to test that for yourself.
    Dan
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    Great thread. Thanks!! B)
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,964
    Options
    Dan is there really a difference in using a good HDMI cable, and a good HDMI cable for 3D?

What I'm asking is it necessary to have a HDMI cable that clams it's for 3D needed for 3D and even 4K?
  • PerfectCreature
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    How would you compare the Pearls to the Cinnimon? What about the chocolate?
    Is that extra 1.25 of silver worth the improvements for twice the price at each level?

I have the HDMI 1 but moved it to audio purposes since the home theater system gave me better output through HDMI vs optical.

Looking for video perspective on a 1080p tv.
    It's a really tuff question to answer as I have tested from Pearl to Carbon and other brands.
    I can tell you this , first off search for my HDMI reviews. But I'll give you some highlights now. When you enter into Audioquest built HDMI cables , you are getting cables that are built correctly and pass spec with flying colors. These cables are built to perfection from Pearl to Carbon and since I have not used the higher end model I'l assume that holds true up the ladder.
    Now as far as performance goes I have only notice very slight improvements going up. From Forest to Cinnamon, it's an audio improvement but it's not night and day like analog cables can be. It's also not much improvement on picture quality. But I did see and hear some improvements as slight as they where as I moved up the ladder.
    As far as value goes I don't think they bring much after the Pearl and Forest. Maybe the Cinnamon still holds some strong value as they are IMO a perfect cable.
    I ventured into Chocolate and now Carbon just to see if there was anything that can be done for improvements in the digital transfer which IMO is already perfect as perfect can be with a cable sending signal. Again very slight improvements where gained but didn't equal the cost IMO for them.
    Going from Cinnamon to Chocolate I was very hard pressed to witness any difference at all. I may wanted to justify that the Chocolate is a better cable over the Cinnamon but I don't think so at least not with my findings. Even the mighty level of Carbon really didn't review much in the way of value at all. Once you reach the Cinnamon level your really not getting much in return. I'd say at full retail your wasting your money unless you have a much higher end system then I have and can witness these small gains that I'm not getting.
    I really also believe that ones system can only be so good. Better quality cables will not benefit it IF they exceed the abilities of ones system. I look at it like tire speed ratings. If your buying the highest rated tires for speed but your car can't go over 124 MPH what would be the benefit of having such high end tires?

On this forum I probably tested more miles of cable then anyone would mentally stand. I've been doing it for so many years and why I keep giving it a run is 1 it's fun , 2 wire is one of my passions ( I'm buts I know) and 3 I'm exposed to all this wire and hear all the fuss that this does that and we had some break throughs in technology etc etc etc. So I like to call them on that and see and hear it for myself in my systems.

I appreciate the insight. I was able to get an HDMI-1 off ebay which is the same cable I have now. I want to say I picked it from you a few years back, or perhaps that was the Opti-link cable...
    Either way, I managed to get one for a decent price, I have a Monster cable right now, just a $20 from walmart. It leaves a washed out and grainy picture...
    Very noticeable when switching from the HDMI-1 to the monster cable, so I would have to agree wholeheartedly on your comment about build quality.
    The cables wiring in the HDMI-1 is far stiffer then the cables in the monster cable, and the connection is stronger too. It is a far snugger fit.
    Plus, that braid looks so much better then a wrinkly cream colored cord.

Even though the HDMI-1 is older, it has the same silver content as the Chocolate I believe. I think itr is rated to 1.3 HDMI but not sure if that matters unless you are running 4k?
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft Interconnect
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
    Samsung Smart TV 40" 1080p 3D
  • mantis
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Dan is there really a difference in using a good HDMI cable, and a good HDMI cable for 3D?

What I'm asking is it necessary to have a HDMI cable that clams it's for 3D needed for 3D and even 4K?
    By Spec yes , you need to meet the requirements of what you are trying to do.

Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    How would you compare the Pearls to the Cinnimon? What about the chocolate?
    Is that extra 1.25 of silver worth the improvements for twice the price at each level?

I have the HDMI 1 but moved it to audio purposes since the home theater system gave me better output through HDMI vs optical.

Looking for video perspective on a 1080p tv.
    It's a really tuff question to answer as I have tested from Pearl to Carbon and other brands.
    I can tell you this , first off search for my HDMI reviews. But I'll give you some highlights now. When you enter into Audioquest built HDMI cables , you are getting cables that are built correctly and pass spec with flying colors. These cables are built to perfection from Pearl to Carbon and since I have not used the higher end model I'l assume that holds true up the ladder.
    Now as far as performance goes I have only notice very slight improvements going up. From Forest to Cinnamon, it's an audio improvement but it's not night and day like analog cables can be. It's also not much improvement on picture quality. But I did see and hear some improvements as slight as they where as I moved up the ladder.
    As far as value goes I don't think they bring much after the Pearl and Forest. Maybe the Cinnamon still holds some strong value as they are IMO a perfect cable.
    I ventured into Chocolate and now Carbon just to see if there was anything that can be done for improvements in the digital transfer which IMO is already perfect as perfect can be with a cable sending signal. Again very slight improvements where gained but didn't equal the cost IMO for them.
    Going from Cinnamon to Chocolate I was very hard pressed to witness any difference at all. I may wanted to justify that the Chocolate is a better cable over the Cinnamon but I don't think so at least not with my findings. Even the mighty level of Carbon really didn't review much in the way of value at all. Once you reach the Cinnamon level your really not getting much in return. I'd say at full retail your wasting your money unless you have a much higher end system then I have and can witness these small gains that I'm not getting.
    I really also believe that ones system can only be so good. Better quality cables will not benefit it IF they exceed the abilities of ones system. I look at it like tire speed ratings. If your buying the highest rated tires for speed but your car can't go over 124 MPH what would be the benefit of having such high end tires?

On this forum I probably tested more miles of cable then anyone would mentally stand. I've been doing it for so many years and why I keep giving it a run is 1 it's fun , 2 wire is one of my passions ( I'm buts I know) and 3 I'm exposed to all this wire and hear all the fuss that this does that and we had some break throughs in technology etc etc etc. So I like to call them on that and see and hear it for myself in my systems.

I appreciate the insight. I was able to get an HDMI-1 off ebay which is the same cable I have now. I want to say I picked it from you a few years back, or perhaps that was the Opti-link cable...
    Either way, I managed to get one for a decent price, I have a Monster cable right now, just a $20 from walmart. It leaves a washed out and grainy picture...
    Very noticeable when switching from the HDMI-1 to the monster cable, so I would have to agree wholeheartedly on your comment about build quality.
    The cables wiring in the HDMI-1 is far stiffer then the cables in the monster cable, and the connection is stronger too. It is a far snugger fit.
    Plus, that braid looks so much better then a wrinkly cream colored cord.

Even though the HDMI-1 is older, it has the same silver content as the Chocolate I believe. I think itr is rated to 1.3 HDMI but not sure if that matters unless you are running 4k?
    It matters, it's all about the bandwidth the cable is rated at. If the cable was released for 1.3 , then it is designed around that spec. That doesn't mean it doesn't exceed that in bandwidth which I believe the HDMI -1 does but it's not rated for that requirement of HDMI as it was designed and out on the market before that spec hit.
    Dan