How Involved is Matt Anymore?

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    cfrizz wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    Life is about constant change, and progress, It's unbelievable how some of you are totally stuck in the past.

I dunno there Cathy, to me anyway....life is about living it to your definition of happiness. That definition need not change or progress because others say it must.

If that is what makes you happy Tony, but don't be surprised when lots of other things in life passes you by and you/or ideas are no longer considered relevant.

In your personal life I suppose you are free to do as you please. However, that kind of inflexible attitude it todays workplace will get you put out to pasture real quick.

I think your taking a right turn off the beaten path of Matt Polk and SDA's, lol. So back to the relevant stuff.

Sda's are not coming back guys, no plans are in the works, no buzz about any future possibilities. Yes they are a good speaker, and no, not the only good speaker. So if collecting 30 year old speakers makes you happy, rock on and enjoy, but rest assured a newer version is nowhere on the horizon or even in the same galaxy.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Outstanding post John!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    There may be some level of members suggesting SDA's to other members but I don't get the shoving it down their throat part at all. I actually think it is more of a push for new SDA owners to do the mods once they have the SDA's. In fact, I would argue that those who visit the forum that aren't interested in SDA are not interested because they don't know it exists or haven't heard it. The argument that I shouldn't steer someone in the direction of SDA because something newer is supposedly better would be akin to me telling Nooshinjohn that he shouldn't have suggested I listen to his older Sunfire Signature amp because the Parasound Halo A51 I had at the time was newer and therefore better. Sometimes newer isn't better and I made a change because of his suggestion. I don't care if someone ultimately decides SDA isn't for them but it is a technology they won't hear unless someone suggests it. One other observation; I don't see many, if any people posting about how unhappy they are with their SDA's once modded and properly set up. :wink: I'm sure glad I listened to all of the SDA 'pushers' on this site. Many thanks to Matt Polk for making them too!
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    ^^^Snickers^^^ Phunny . . . I usually hate commercials, but the Snickers one is good!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    I read through the whole thread, and I just wanted to comment that I thought John's post above (jstas) was very well-said.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Ok Jason, where have you been hiding?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• I personally have been waiting for his involvement to improve!!!!
    I was promised a shot at bidding on his ratty personal pair of CRS's. F1, don't think I have forgot.

If I missed the opportunity on the CRS's, don't tell me. It will be better that way.

Beyond that, good for him for taking whatever path it is that he enjoys the most.

Nathan
    Home Rig

SDA 2.3TL's front and center
    Polk 1000p Center
    Pioneer Elite SC35 Receiver (Pre/Surround
    Sunfire Cinema Grand 5X200-Back in the mix.
    OPPO BDP-93
    Squeezebox
    Stepped up to name brand Speaker Cables and interconnects!
    Monitor 4, 5, 7, 10's, SDA 1B's, 2B's, 2.3TL's, RTA 15TL's all in storage waiting for me.
    Sales Rating #1!!
  • F1nut
    LOL.....don't worry, you didn't miss them. It'll happen one day, just not sure when.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    Jstas wrote: »
    I dunno, I met Matt a few times at Polk HQ. He was soft spoken and very courteous, not shy at all though. He has a quick wit too and I saw him smiling more often than anything. He's always quick to geek out and loves hearing other people's thoughts and opinions.

He didn't just slowly fade away after the SRT systems came out. He was fully involved and committed up to his retirement and honestly, probably a bit after that to make sure that the people that worked for him and built Polk Audio were taken care of.

Matt was very private. All this social stuff...that was Al Ballard. He's your champion 'cause he listened to that nutcase Micah who made all of this and pressured for the forum. I don't think anyone at Polk Audio ever expected this. I know Matt didn't. He told me so in the hallway outside of the big conference room at HQ when he mentioned how huge the Polkfest at HQ had become. I think it was the 2008 fest.

Anyway, the guy took a garage company and built the largest speaker manufacturer out there. He doesn't need to be involved anymore. He did it already and now it's time for a new generation to step up and continue guiding this ship.

As for what he's doing, like what was said already, he's got his side projects and is racing cars but honestly, if I was him and I had a sweet Porsche like that, I'd be spending my retirement burning up dead dinosaurs all day, every day. Hell, I already do it in my Lightning on weekends.

I still have my SDA's but I have newer stuff from Polk too including a set of LSiM703's and they are stellar. When I get my car paid off, I'll be stacking my home theater with Polk in-walls 'cause they can't be beat for the money.

But for everything that Matt and Al and Micah and even Polk Paul DiComo did for ClubPolk, this place is still about the "Polkies" and giving a direct connection for Polk Audio to it's customer base of all levels.

Cathy is right to an extent but at the same time, you can't forget where you came from. The SDAs are critical to the Polk brand 'cause they have a flagship tech that is still being used today. Many people don't understand it in the surround bars but, man, put them in front of a set of SDA 2B's and explain it to them and they totally get it.

Keep the ties to the past but don't let the past be an anchor you're tied to preventing you from moving forward.

+1,

History is merely a list of surprises. It can only prepare us to be surprised yet again.
    - Kurt Vonnegut
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    Life is about constant change, and progress, It's unbelievable how some of you are totally stuck in the past.

You MUST buy SDAs, no alternatives are allowed!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    ^ I agree! lol
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    DSkip wrote: »
    cnh wrote: »
    +1,

History is merely a list of surprises. It can only prepare us to be surprised yet again.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Where you been bud? We've missed you around these parts. Well, I guess I shouldn't speak for everyone - I've missed you.

Yeah, like a case of the clap.

;) Just kidding, he knows my true feelings. ;)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    codyc1ark wrote: »
    +1,

- Kurt Vonnegut

Where you been bud? We've missed you around these parts. Well, I guess I shouldn't speak for everyone - I've missed you.

Did you share those feelings while sharing a cigarette? :p<3>:)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    Yep....SDA's and Snickers! That's what I'm looking for. o:)
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Had the pleasure of meeting Matt Polk at the very first PF at Polk HQ's back, I think, in 2003. Matt came into the conference room and met with our merry little band of followers. He even told us the story of how he came up with the idea for SDA Technology. After he spoke with us, he autographed various items we all brought. I brought one of my FX500 rear surrounds and he autographed it in gold pen. That same speaker still hangs in my theater and gets weekly use.

Lets face it, Matt cashed out, made a fortune and is enjoying life! I'd do the same.

I started with Monitor 10B's, then SDA 1B's and on to SDA SRS 2.3's. All of them are gone. Even my 2 channel rig that had LSi 25's has been dismantled and is in storage. My Polk Woodbourne handles music now for the living room and dining room. It's all I need or want these days and suits me fine.

Times change for a lot of people!
    No excuses!
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    codyc1ark wrote: »
    +1,

- Kurt Vonnegut

Did you share those feelings while sharing a cigarette? :p<3>:)

Burn.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited March 2015

Time away from most things is not a bad thing. But, truth be told, I missed some around here as well; this wreckage that is the "present".

Change? What doesn't change? And yet what is it that changes? From Parmenides to Heraclitus
    , so few "agree" on this.

But I know ONE who can untie that Gordian Knot: the TED! And I DO NOT mean TED TALKS-most are worthless.

Reeltrouble is more of what we need. And I do believe we've been sailing off the edge of the earth together for a while, watching the sun set before a long cold night!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    I'm still hanging around, Jesse. Watching, lurking.... trying to earn the "fewest #posts vs. years of membership" badge, apparently, lol.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    And yet what is it that changes? From Parmenides to Heraclitus, so few "agree" on this.

I'll wager that that was one guy who had to fight all the way through high school !

BTW: I gave you an "Insightful" click. I was going to give you an "Agree", but I'm not sure what we were talking about, so ....... "Insightful" is still pretty good !

Sal Palooza
  • F1nut
    jcaut wrote: »
    I'm still hanging around, Jesse. Watching, lurking.... trying to earn the "fewest #posts vs. years of membership" badge, apparently, lol.

Ah in that case, keep up the good work.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    gdb wrote: »
    Mescaline ???

That or purple haze.

President of Club Polk

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    F1nut wrote: »
    gdb wrote: »
    Mescaline ???

That or purple haze.

3wgr4x76346k.jpg

• BDT
    BDT Posts: 212
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    Had the pleasure of meeting Matt Polk at the very first PF at Polk HQ's back, I think, in 2003. Matt came into the conference room and met with our merry little band of followers. He even told us the story of how he came up with the idea for SDA Technology. After he spoke with us, he autographed various items we all brought. I brought one of my FX500 rear surrounds and he autographed it in gold pen. That same speaker still hangs in my theater and gets weekly use.

Lets face it, Matt cashed out, made a fortune and is enjoying life! I'd do the same.

I started with Monitor 10B's, then SDA 1B's and on to SDA SRS 2.3's. All of them are gone. Even my 2 channel rig that had LSi 25's has been dismantled and is in storage. My Polk Woodbourne handles music now for the living room and dining room. It's all I need or want these days and suits me fine.

Yeah, but you just can't rock the wifebeater leaning on one of those little speakers like you could the 2.3tl's.....you sexy beast.

Hope all is well with you, brother!

BDT

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    BDT wrote: »
    Strong Bad wrote: »

Yeah, but you just can't rock the wifebeater leaning on one of those little speakers like you could the 2.3tl's.....you sexy beast.

Hope all is well with you, brother!

BDT

I was a sexy beast, wasn't I! B)

All is well in my corner of the world. How goes it at the BDT Estates? How's that wonderful wifey doing?

Ya know, of the Polk Fests that I've gone to, none even remotely compared to the one at your castle! Oh man, what a great time! SDA Lab Coat photos...rediculous amounts of food and alcohol. As Archie and Edith would say..."Those were the dayyyyyyyyys!"
    No excuses!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Ess Dee Aeeeee

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • drselect
    drselect Posts: 664
    A amazon seller has the camden square for $97 with free shipping
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FBNA6Z0/ref=nosim/?tag=dealsofamer05-20

Unfortunately for me I didn't do my homework and bought one on the Polk FF 1/2 sale so paid more for one.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited September 2019
    I think the SRT's were the crowning glory for him, and then he kind of made a slow exit.

Maybe Jesse could ask him about an SDA redux sometime, even if it were only to redesign the cabinets as I want to do with mine.

So I was pondering about Matt during this exciting time, his absence, and found this interesting thread when searching outside of the forum! :) Did not know that he's not really active as much anymore.

And found this comment above. @nooshinjohn your wish has been granted! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.