How Involved is Matt Anymore?

Does anybody know how involved Matt is anymore in regards to designing, listening, and approving (etc) of the home speakers Polk sells today? Say the LSiM, just as an instance.

No reasoning behind the question, just popped into my head.
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    My understanding is his involvement is limited to the fact the company is still called Polk Audio, and nothing more. I wish he would do something like Nelson Pass of Bob Carver have done, and become more involved with the DIY community or with their fanbase through things like Carver-fest.

Matt seems to be a somewhat shy person and more than humbled by the way his early work has such a cult following.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Does anybody know how involved Matt is anymore in regards to designing, listening, and approving (etc) of the home speakers Polk sells today? Say the LSiM, just as an instance.

Not at all.

John, he's actually very outgoing, but a private person.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BDT
    BDT Posts: 212
    I think that with a business either you run it....or you don't. It's been my experience that half assed involvement only brings frustration.

Plus, and I've said this before, as a business....Polk is there to move boxes. It's not really what Matt or anyone else likes...it's what sells. Right now, portable audio and so forth is what is moving. Guys like us, we aren't a significant market segment....and it's been that way a long time. Business is business....

Matt also seems like a well rounded guy and has plenty of other things to occupy his time.

BDT
  • nooshinjohn
    F1nut wrote: »

Not at all.

John, he's actually very outgoing, but a private person.
    Outgoing and private can often be mistaken for shy. Regardless, he is on the shortlist of people I hold in the highest regard, and would love to meet someday to just say thanks.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Outgoing and private can often be mistaken for shy. Regardless, he is on the shortlist of people I hold in the highest regard, and would love to meet someday to just say thanks.

Agreed x2

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    That's kind of what I assumed. I wonder where abouts he was no longer involved. SRT era? RT55 era?

Would be kind of cool if he was involved in one last hoorah. SDA v2? One can dream.

• nooshinjohn
    edited March 2015
    I think the SRT's were the crowning glory for him, and then he kind of made a slow exit.

Maybe Jesse could ask him about an SDA redux sometime, even if it were only to redesign the cabinets as I want to do with mine.

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Good lord guys, let it go already. Matt as far as I know when I went to the final HQ Polkfest is that we were told that Matt is happily retired from the audio business and now is racing cars.

What most of you refuse to acknowledge is that the vast population is not and never really was interested in the SDA speakers, and they certainly are not now. Times have changed, audio has certainly changed.

If you don't want to move on that's fine, but be content to purchase those old used monoliths if you want or build your own. The technology is still being used by Polk in TODAY's speakers and markets for what people want now.

It is beyond old for some newbie to come on here asking for help with speakers and within 5 posts someone tries to shove SDAs down their throats regardless if it is not even close to what they say they are looking for. Then to make matters worse you then proceed to tell them all the DIY updates they would have to perform. It doesn't make a lick of sense.

I have a pair of 25 year old speakers that I am still very content with, but I certainly don't try talking anyone into looking for a pair. Nor would I appreciate anyone trying to guide me into getting something so old today. If these ever die, I won't be looking for another pair.

Life is about constant change, and progress, It's unbelievable how some of you are totally stuck in the past.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    My first Polks were SDA 2b's :smile:
    Randy/Maine
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Good lord guys, let it go already. Matt as far as I know when I went to the final HQ Polkfest is that we were told that Matt is happily retired from the audio business and now is racing cars.

What most of you refuse to acknowledge is that the vast population is not and never really was interested in the SDA speakers, and they certainly are not now. Times have changed, audio has certainly changed.

If you don't want to move on that's fine, but be content to purchase those old used monoliths if you want or build your own. The technology is still being used by Polk in TODAY's speakers and markets for what people want now.

It is beyond old for some newbie to come on here asking for help with speakers and within 5 posts someone tries to shove SDAs down their throats regardless if it is not even close to what they say they are looking for. Then to make matters worse you then proceed to tell them all the DIY updates they would have to perform. It doesn't make a lick of sense.

I have a pair of 25 year old speakers that I am still very content with, but I certainly don't try talking anyone into looking for a pair. Nor would I appreciate anyone trying to guide me into getting something so old today. If these ever die, I won't be looking for another pair.

Life is about constant change, and progress, It's unbelievable how some of you are totally stuck in the past.

What's wrong with suggesting a pair of speakers that can be had for a lot less money than anything that would come close to would cost new? Updating them to todays standards IS constant change and progress. I don't see how someone would get upset or not appreciate a suggestion. The vast population isn't interested in good audio period, for the ones that are the vintage Polks are excellent bang for the buck regardless of their age.

I understand if you don't agree with me.

• halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    Cathy?? Your comment is way out of line, out in left field somewhere. I did not see anyone in this thread try to shove SDA's down someone throat! Where did that come from? There are still quite a few people that like SDA's. And they were made by Polk, and this is a Polk forum I think. At least it once was....
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    boston1450 wrote: »
    My first Polks were SDA 2b's :smile:

Mine were 2B Studios . . . Original owner & still got 'em!

AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • cfrizz
    halo71 wrote: »
    Cathy?? Your comment is way out of line, out in left field somewhere. I did not see anyone in this thread try to shove SDA's down someone throat! Where did that come from? There are still quite a few people that like SDA's. And they were made by Polk, and this is a Polk forum I think. At least it once was....

Perhaps it is Halo, but I never said it was this thread. However, keep an eye out in other threads how much SDA's come up to newbies as THE speaker to get. Most on here assume everyone wants to buy used and then spend a whole lot of time doing upgrades to old speakers.

Which in itself is very telling since even if Matt got re-interested in updating them, just about all the ones who go on and on about them wouldn't touch them due to the cost.

But Matt has moved on to a different phase in his life, so what is out there is all that's left. And the SDA tech is being used in new speakers.

If you got em enjoy them, but there are lots of other choices out there as well as Troy neatly summed up.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • nooshinjohn
    One of his recent audio projects was working with NASA to develop a speaker system that could be used with a simulator that could develop sound pressure levels that an Atlas rocket would produce.

Pics please!

Any chance that tech might find it's way into new SRT's? >:)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Sorry, the only pictures I'm aware of are from an older Polkfest were a few guys came to his house. The SRTs were so expensive to make that it was either raise the price to a level that they wouldn't sell or discontinue them. The problem now is that there are so few dealers to do a good job displaying them that they wouldn't have a viable market.
  • nooshinjohn
    I saw a Shuttle launch way back in the day, but some AF guys told me the Atlas was louder...

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited March 2015
    Perhaps it is Halo, but I never said it was this thread. However, keep an eye out in other threads how much SDA's come up to newbies as THE speaker to get. Most on here assume everyone wants to buy used and then spend a whole lot of time doing upgrades to old speakers.

I find this sentiment...interesting.
    Most of the recommendations I see for new Polk speakers are RTiAs and LSiMs. Rarely do I see someone come out of left field and recommend SDAs. The caveat being the vintage speaker section.
    And in that case, someone coming in and asking for recommendations for vintage Polks would be selling themselves short if they didn't consider SDAs or RTAs.

Are the SDA fans sort of rabid and cultish? Absolutely but not any worse than McIntosh fans are of their green VU meters or horn loaded speaker folks are about their speaker of choice.

Someone comes here and mentions they are thinking about getting new Monitors or RTs...the general suggestions usually revolve around RTiAs and LSiMs.

Some comes here and mentions they are looking at a set of SDA2s for $400, suggestions come in the form of them not being ideal and the price being high...then suggestions are made for alternative SDAs.

Neither scenario is "shoving SDAs down someones throat".

Anyway, that's at least how I see it.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I think the point Ken was trying to make was the a product like the SRT required a very specialized setup compared to something like an iPod dock.
    Most big box stores wouldn't be willing to dedicate that kind of real estate to a single speaker system.
    Most mom and pop shops would only be willing to do that with a product that is guaranteed to move.
    Case in point, my buddy got a fantastic wholesale lot deal on several pairs of JBL Everest IIs...the problem is, it has taken him years to get down to his last set and the whole time, they were using real estate in his warehouse instead of products that were moving out the door steadily.
    Don't get me wrong, if I had the means, I would purchase a product like that but that is what most folks are constrained by...the means.

There is also the consideration that outside of the enthusiast market, a product like that really doesn't generate a volume to prove profitable.

I would like to see some kind of SDA redux but don't hold out hope that anyone will really want to invest that kind of capital into a project like that. McIntosh's business model allows for them to create special edition anniversary products but they are also based on existing models and use existing tooling and most of the existing parts.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    I think Matt should buy SDA's.... :hushed:
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    If he calls Polk and tells them he is a member here he can get
    a discount on tweeter upgrades.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited March 2015
    I think MP has the right to do whatever he pleases. If he gets a chunk of change every year for the use of his name, good for him. We should all be that lucky.
    As for shoving SDAs down peoples throats, I don't see that anywhere. If someone posts in the Vintage Section, they're there for a reason. Whether it's Monitors, SDAs or the multitude of towers made in the 90s, they came there for advice, or guidance. A good design is just that. It can be conserved, or improved upon with new components. SDA's Interaural Crosstalk Cancelation is as relevant today as it was 30-35 years ago. What's changed is peoples listening habits. In my opinion, the original Walkman started the trend away from a dedicated "Stereo" systems for listening to music. Back then, it was something you did as a way to relax, chill-out. Put on an album, with your significant other, and an adult beverage or two.
    My son is a perfect example. He walks around with ear-buds and his iPod or iPhone.
    There's no music system in his room like most of us had back in the day. I've already told him, when he gets his own place, I have a pair of rebuilt Monitors 7s with original stands waiting for him. He'll have a nice 2 channel system, and will be able to appreciate recorded music the way it's supposed to be done.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    I wish I had a TT that played 78's or the funds to get one
    when someone dumped box after box of 78's on me in the
    early nineties. The only way to listen to music IMHO.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902

I dunno there Cathy, to me anyway....life is about living it to your definition of happiness. That definition need not change or progress because others say it must.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    Sorry, the only pictures I'm aware of are from an older Polkfest were a few guys came to his house.

We had to leave the cameras in our vehicles.

• cfrizz
    tonyb wrote: »

I dunno there Cathy, to me anyway....life is about living it to your definition of happiness. That definition need not change or progress because others say it must.

If that is what makes you happy Tony, but don't be surprised when lots of other things in life passes you by and you/or ideas are no longer considered relevant.

In your personal life I suppose you are free to do as you please. However, that kind of inflexible attitude it todays workplace will get you put out to pasture real quick.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    If that is what makes you happy Tony, but don't be surprised when lots of other things in life passes you by and you/or ideas are no longer considered relevant.

I dunno. I'd rather be right than relevant. :)
    cfrizz wrote:
    In your personal life I suppose you are free to do as you please. However, that kind of inflexible attitude in todays workplace will get you put out to pasture real quick.

I dunno. I've generally found that working like a fully loaded supertanker plowing into the pier at flank speed seems to have worked quite successfully.
    ...... you have to know your job, though. REALLY know your job. ;)
    (I think that's the "WINKY" emoticon)

The point you make about Polk having to respond to market trends is valid. I don't know where Polk could market $15K speakers in a B&M for people to have a nice, quiet listening experience. Best Buy's Magnolia may fill that need on mid-level speakers, but ...... I still remember all the pushed in domes on speakers in SiloX/Circuit City's "listening rooms".
    Having said that, I really haven't seen anyone jamming SDA's down anyone's throat, especially newbies.
    Jstas wrote:
    if I was him and I had a sweet Porsche like that, I'd be spending my retirement burning up dead dinosaurs all day, every day.

Wait a second. Are we talking about MP or ........ uhm .....

Sal Palooza
  • nooshinjohn
    DSkip wrote: »
    I'm definitely not an sda fan, but I don't get the sense that sda is forced down people's throat.

God I hope not... trying to get that image of an SRS being swallowed whole out of my head. Sounds like a bad visual from a Freddie Kruegger film.

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    DSkip wrote: »
    I'm definitely not an sda fan, but I don't get the sense that sda is forced down people's throat.

God I hope not... trying to get that image of an SRS being swallowed whole out of my head. Sounds like a bad visual from a Freddie Kruegger film.

Better down their throat than up their......
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)