Starting from scratch on SDA 1c's

Comments

• Sea
    Sea Posts: 317

drumminman wrote: »
    The least expensive, option, is the #16 gauge Erse SuperQ Laminated Steel Inductor.

erseaudio.com/Products/SuperQCoils16Gauge/ESQ55-16-18000

Is this the one you are referring to?

Main-Carver TFM35(2),Carver C11 ,Carver SD/A 360 CD,Carver TX11 ,Grace Digital Tuner, Pioneer PL707 TT,Polk SDA1C
    Downstairs -Carver M1.5t, Carver C1 Pre, Carver TX10 Tuner, Carver TL3200 CD Player, Dual 1009 TT,Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl
    Study - Carver AV634 Amp, Carver CT7 Pre, Carver DTL50 CD Player, Polk RTA12c
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Sea wrote: »
    The least expensive, option, is the #16 gauge Erse SuperQ Laminated Steel Inductor.

erseaudio.com/Products/SuperQCoils16Gauge/ESQ55-16-18000

Is this the one you are referring to?

http://www.parts-express.com/erse-super-q-17mh-16-awg-500w-inductor-crossover-coil--266-956
    Erse is frequently out of stock on everything.
    The Inductor will need to be unwound to 16mh
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Sea
    I may try these. I did not replace any inductors when I rebuilt my 1C crossovers. I think the bottom end is tight and low as it is. If this gives further improvement it will be fantastic.
    Main-Carver TFM35(2),Carver C11 ,Carver SD/A 360 CD,Carver TX11 ,Grace Digital Tuner, Pioneer PL707 TT,Polk SDA1C
    Downstairs -Carver M1.5t, Carver C1 Pre, Carver TX10 Tuner, Carver TL3200 CD Player, Dual 1009 TT,Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl
  • Sea
    [/quote]
    http://www.parts-express.com/erse-super-q-17mh-16-awg-500w-inductor-crossover-coil--266-956
    [/quote]

Unfortunately, I don't have a LCR meter.
  • strokin
    strokin Posts: 63
    Faustin wrote: »
    It is veneer
    Never really looked at until you mentioned it, glad you did, now I know not to get too carried away with my sanding. I wish I had the time to spend more time with them.
  • strokin

Red and white oak veneer are very reasonably priced.

Wow, that kinda changes everything. Never really looked that close until you mentioned it. How much rosewood did you say you had? ;)
  • strokin
    edited January 2015
    strokin wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^. Ditto what drumminman said.
    I would use Sonicaps throughout if you have the coin. Also, don't forget to upgrade the SDA inductor. It will improve the bass. WMG (Dave) has some cost effective options.

Sounds like a new inductor is in order , I'm all for more bass. Even though after all of the mods I have made so far, they have awesome bass. What are the inductors exactly?

The Inductors in question, are part of the "Full Compliment Sub-Bass Drive" circuit.
    I refer to them as the Dimensional or Sub-Base Inductors for short. On the 1Cs, the large spool Inductor the crossover mounts to, is the one that get's replaced. The existing Inductor is 16mh, # 18 gauge, and is approximately 2.5-2.6 ohms DCR. There are several options for replacing it with a lower resistance inductor. Some opt for large gauge air core inductors, which are normally special order and expensive. Jantzen makes a C-Coil #14 gauge Toroid, which is also special order and relatively expensive. The least expensive, option, is the #16 gauge Erse SuperQ Laminated Steel Inductor.
    The Erse SuperQ has a DCR of .5 ohms. That's a five fold decrease in resistance.
    The Jantzen C-Coil has a DCR of .16 ohms. That's a 15 fold decrease in resistance.
    The caveat is, your 1Cs will no longer be 6 ohm nominal. They will be 4 ohm, and will drop well below that at certain frequencies. Your amp must be able to handle <4 ohm loads safely.

Thanks wmg, for the details on that, So in a nutshell, would one deduct that the overall Loudness capability of the speakers , which in turn would fill the room with more overall sound, and loudness, be understood by using higher resistance inductors?
  • westmassguy
    edited January 2015
    ^^^^^^^^^^. Ditto what drumminman said.
    I would use Sonicaps throughout if you have the coin. Also, don't forget to upgrade the SDA inductor. It will improve the bass. WMG (Dave) has some cost effective options.

Sounds like a new inductor is in order , I'm all for more bass. Even though after all of the mods I have made so far, they have awesome bass. What are the inductors exactly?

The Inductors in question, are part of the "Full Compliment Sub-Bass Drive" circuit.
    I refer to them as the Dimensional or Sub-Base Inductors for short. On the 1Cs, the large spool Inductor the crossover mounts to, is the one that get's replaced. The existing Inductor is 16mh, # 18 gauge, and is approximately 2.5-2.6 ohms DCR. There are several options for replacing it with a lower resistance inductor. Some opt for large gauge air core inductors, which are normally special order and expensive. Jantzen makes a C-Coil #14 gauge Toroid, which is also special order and relatively expensive. The least expensive, option, is the #16 gauge Erse SuperQ Laminated Steel Inductor.
    The Erse SuperQ has a DCR of .5 ohms. That's a five fold decrease in resistance.
    The Jantzen C-Coil has a DCR of .16 ohms. That's a 15 fold decrease in resistance.
    The caveat is, your 1Cs will no longer be 6 ohm nominal. They will be 4 ohm, and will drop well below that at certain frequencies. Your amp must be able to handle <4 ohm loads safely.

Thanks wmg, for the details on that, So in a nutshell, would one deduct that the overall Loudness capability of the speakers , which in turn would fill the room with more overall sound, and loudness, be understood by using higher resistance inductors?

The new Inductors increase the output of the Dimensional Woofers only, below 150 Hz.
    Deep Bass, and Bass Slam is improved. How much that affects the overall SPL of the pair, I couldn't answer.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Sea

Wow, that kinda changes everything. Never really looked that close until you mentioned it. How much rosewood did you say you had? ;)

xri20hzpz28f.jpg

I bought a 4 x 8 sheet. Please note that it is not genuine Rosewood. It is a product that is called Composite that as best I can figure is a more common wood that is dyed and treated to resemble exotic woods. Rosewood is rare and hard to obtain and when found is vey expensive. Genuine rosewood also has a high natural oil content and requires special finishing techniques.

I am sure I will enough left for you to cover your tops. It will be several weeks before I get to that point.
  • strokin
    edited January 2015
    Ok Wmg, that's really what I had in mind, but didn't know how to put it in to simple terms. Thank for clearing that up. reason being, I'm not much of a rock & roller but I do like to crank up my Keb'Mo' and Dave Weckl now and again. Most times I find myself listening to my stereo perform more so than the music itself. I definitly will need to talk to you about doing my xovers in a little while, I am ordering my tweets tomorrow.
  • strokin
    edited January 2015

xri20hzpz28f.jpg

I bought a 4 x 8 sheet. Please note that it is not genuine Rosewood. It is a product that is called Composite that as best I can figure is a more common wood that is dyed and treated to resemble exotic woods. Rosewood is rare and hard to obtain and when found is vey expensive. Genuine rosewood also has a high natural oil content and requires special finishing techniques.

I am sure I will enough left for you to cover your tops. It will be several weeks before I get to that point.

OMG! that's gorgeous. would you not have enough to do the bottoms? Where did you locate that? by the way I am not very good with these google machines , I have not used one long. please excuse my ignorance I don't know how to answer you without quoting the entire conversation. How would I go about that? Once again between my lack of experience on the computer, and a previous brain injury, I am a little slow on this thing. So any help I could get would be appreciated.
  • westmassguy
    Most pop/rock doesn't go much below 40Hz. When you have a full orchestra, whether classical or more modern types of music, that's when you feel the deep bass.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Sea
    OMG! that's gorgeous. would you not have enough to do the bottoms? Where did you locate that?

Sorry for the confusion. I will have enough for both. The end caps are glued on and not easy to remove. The bottom cap is not completely covered, just the edge and a small part of the bottom and top. Look at the bottom of the speaker and that is what the top of the bottom cap looks like as well. I fixed mine so they could be attached with bolts through the cabinets like on the 2.3TL and 1.2TL's. You have to be careful that you leave the cabinet well sealed.

I bought the veneer from jsowoodproducts.com
  • strokin
    Most pop/rock doesn't go much below 40Hz. When you have a full orchestra, whether classical or more modern types of music, that's when you feel the deep bass.
    I definitely would want to go with a lager one anyway i think, I mean, why not right? Is there anyway you could message me a ballpark figure on what we would be looking at with this list of mods?
    Sonic caps on all caps except low pass,( Daytons there)
    mills resistors,
    larger inductores(brand by your advice)

I am figuring that there is more, and that's where you come in.
  • strokin
    OMG! that's gorgeous. would you not have enough to do the bottoms? Where did you locate that?

Sorry for the confusion. I will have enough for both. The end caps are glued on and not easy to remove. The bottom cap is not completely covered, just the edge and a small part of the bottom and top. Look at the bottom of the speaker and that is what the top of the bottom cap looks like as well. I fixed mine so they could be attached with bolts through the cabinets like on the 2.3TL and 1.2TL's. You have to be careful that you leave the cabinet well sealed.

I bought the veneer from jsowoodproducts.com

I see, I'm liking what I'm hearing. Do you have any photos of when you installed the bolts? also any spiking hints as well.

Also what would be the best way to remove the tops and bottoms? I resealed the inside, is that what you mean?
  • Sea
    Sorry. I do not have any photos. The end caps are glued on just like the sides. Both require a long straight edge like a chisel. Be careful to not damage the cabinet.

I removed the side panels and made fresh ones from new MDF then covered with new fabric. I did not glue them back on but instead I used the same kind of posts used to attach speaker grills.

The end caps were a little more difficult. I installed T-nuts (similar to hurricane nuts). I drilled holes in the tops and bottoms of the cabinet. In this fashion I could put a bolt through the cabinet from the inside into the T-nuts in the tops and bottom. I used lock tight to seal around the bolt heads to be sure the cabinets remained air tight.

I am away for the weekend. When I return home I will take photos of the side panels.
  • strokin
    Bolts it is, I am trying to do this on a very limited budget unfortunately. I also know that's hard to do in this rabbit hole. I had to glue one side back on that went very well. After scraping the old glue off, I used loctite to reglue it, laid a blanket and steel weights over night,looks great. The other side I'm making a new one, I have grill cloth and hurricane nuts coming from PE and wood from HD.
  • strokin
    edited January 2015
    Sorry Dskip didn't see your post, I will be using glue on the sides, what are your thoughts on thetops and bottoms?
  • strokin
    Sorry, I meant hurricane nuts for the drivers , not the sides.
  • Sea
    edited January 2015
    DSkip wrote: »
    I believe you would have been better off gluing the side back on. Attaching it like a speaker grill means the damping it provided to the sides of the cabinet is no more.

I had not considered that but it may be a valid point. With the sides off, it is basically a 1C Studio model. When I bought these the sides were in really bad shape so I do not have any history hearing with the sides glued on but they sound great like this. I thought I remembered reading that the sides if some of the larger SDA's were held on with some sort of clips.

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Unfortunately, I don't have a LCR meter.
    ERSE will do the unwinding on a custom basis for an additional fee.

Last I checked, I think it was $10 per inductor when you purchase the inductor from them. Price may have changed since then.
  • strokin
    I have a question, maybe some one could chime in. While dynomatting the drivers, on the left speaker(the one I started with) I noticed the no.'s 6510&6511, were not like I had read on the forum or what the guy at Polk said. So I put the 6510's on the bottom and 6511's on top. Digging in the forum last night while creating my own copies of all the information I can find on the SDA-c's, I saw where the the 6510's would be on the left, top and bottom, of left sp. and right side on right sp. Which is correct?
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    The 6510's are the outside drivers. Here are the wiring diagrams.
  • strokin
    Awesome ,thanks, that's the copies I made last night. Glad that's solved.

Hurricane nuts should be here soon, so have to pull the drivers again anyway.
    Luckily I read a post, I think it might have been you and Wmg about installing those. That will go a little smoother.
  • strokin
    Unless I can get Larry Rings. any words on those?
  • strokin
    Finally got the new tweets in today. After receiving my new spikes I'm starting to question the stud size when I think about these 100lb speakers,sapuvfqezq2d.jpg
    ej95t7fs8yrq.jpg
    anyone have any words of advice on this subject?
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited January 2015
    Doesn't take much of a fastener to hold the spikes to the bottom of the cabinet. Even if the studs are hardware-store Grade 2 all-thread, the threads in the speaker are weaker than the studs.
  • strokin
    Schurkey wrote: »
    Doesn't take much of a fastener to hold the spikes to the bottom of the cabinet. Even if the studs are hardware-store Grade 2 all-thread, the threads in the speaker are weaker than the studs.
    933xll6ae9rh.jpg

They have wooden dowels on the bottom, did these come from the factory?
  • strokin
    I know alot of you are wondering why I didn't do the bottoms too, but hey, I did these in my family room floor.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited January 2015
    I think you'll find those are actually plastic capped tacks essentially, Mine broke off and the tack portion had to be pried out when I removed them. Yes, that's factory.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre